Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is there a natural estrogen blocker? help!

Options
1235»

Comments

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60
    Options

Hi there! Samorodun, I was unable to tolerate the effects of AIs (anastrozole and letrozole) and only took them for 3 years and 3 months. Yes, when I went off the AI, all the pain disappeared in stages. But it was very quick and I absolutely to not regret my decision to go off them!!! Quality of life returned and since I went off these nasty meds, I was better able to lead a life where I can exercise and, even better - sleep :-) I don't take any supplements, but I do eat a piece of fresh curcumin (grown in my garden and ground up with a garlic clove, olive oil and a little black pepper) every day.

• cherokeelady
    cherokeelady Member Posts: 31
    Options

My oncologist just prescribed anastrozole and I'm interested in finding natural alternative(s) to anastrozole due to the side effects. Before BC dx I had osteopenia, degenerative arthritis of spine, two ruptured discs, sciatica and still suffer from all now. I'm nearly 65 and am my disabled spouse's sole caregiver. After 10/2/19 lumpectomy I was dx with DCIS via post-op lab report. Rads recommended but, as radiologist told me this week, with DCIS they don't know whether rads knock it out or not "until you develop more BC symptoms" so I opted out of rads.

Ideas? Suggestions for anastrozole alternatives without debilitating side effects?

Thanks.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,785
    Options

Hi,

I am also stage IV with bone metastasis. I have taken all 3 AI's and am currently on Aromasin. The se'shave been the same for me on all three, but clearly not as debilitating as yours. I manage with Alleve during the day and cannabis at night. Given that I've been NED for 8 years and I can manage the pain while living a fairly normal life, I'll stick with it.

Some people use a supplement called DIM. I don't think it is an equivalent to AI's but if you are miserable, it might be worth considering. Take care

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    Options

If the natural supplement worked at getting rid of estrogen, wouldn't the side effects be the same? I thought my side effects were from estrogen deprivation.

I have read (on the actual drug insert) that 20% of the usual dose of Femara is actually effective. My doc sometimes suggests half a dose to see if side effects get better. Or some people alternate days. With stage 4 you don't want to mess around but a half dose seems reasonable.