Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy with oncoplasty (bilateral reduction mammaplasty)

Options

Comments

• mom2bunky
    mom2bunky Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2019
    Options

Yay Karen! Getting the drains out is HUGE! I was just like you, I though surgery and recovery had gone so well and I was terrified to get the drains out. But the nurse was so great, it didn't hurt at all! "That's IT?" I said! I was so relieved I almost cried. I get it.

• Karen2019
    Karen2019 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2019
    Options

Ladies, how long did your doctor tell you to avoid sleeping on your stomach? Mine has advised 4-6 weeks, and I literally have not slept a whole night since my surgery. I am exhausted and have been running completely on adrenaline and caffeinesince returning to work this week. I can't sleep on my back even with a nest of pillows and sleep meds, and even on my side (which I've only been able to do semi-comfortably for the past week or so), I worry that I am straining the tissues and the incisions. I am healing well, but still have some pain, especially in the area where the tumor was removed and where the drain was. I think I could probably sleep through the residual pain easily if I could just do it on my stomach, but I really don't want to risk screwing up anything I just had done. If anyone has had similar issues, I would love to hear how soon you were able to sleep on your stomach again, and whether you were able to hold off doing it until the doctor told you it was ok. I'm worried that if I go much longer without a decent night's sleep, I'm going to crash and burn on the job!

• deweygirl19
    deweygirl19 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2019
    Options

karen2019 I'm almost 2 weeks out from my surgery and there is no way I could sleep on my stomach at this point. I am a side/stomach sleeper too so I feel you pain! Luckily for me I'm so exhausted at the end of the day I have no problem sleeping in my back. I haven't asked my doctor about when I could, I see his PA on Monday so I'll ask. I can sort of sleep on my side if I put a pillow behind my back to support my back and prop up pillows underneath my upper body so my boobs aren't touching anything. That's as good as it gets for me, hope someone else has better suggestions.

• Mymomsgirl
    Mymomsgirl Member Posts: 95
    edited October 2019
    Options

Karen I have to agree with Dewey on this, I couldn't think about sleeping on my side or my stomach. I slept in a recliner the first two weeks and then moved to the bed on my back. I'm a side sleeper and was able to sleep on the non tumor side in about a month, but the tumor side wasn't comfortable for months. It looks like you are close to the month mark so you could probably try your stomach but you might want try your side first. Worst case see if you get some Ambien or try tylenol PM to get a night or two of sleep. Like Dewey I was exhausted so sleeping wasn't an issue.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited October 2019
    Options

I met with a plastic surgeon this morning about having breast reduction on my healthy breast. My lumpectomy was in April. I'm not terribly asymmetrical but enough to prefer having it fixed. In truth I've always wished I were a bit smaller anyway. The doctor said since I'll only have the one breast done, he won't do it like he normally would, to reduce and lift and shift nipple placement, because that would make it much different than the lumpectomy breast. Instead he'll just remove some tissue and skin to make it smaller and leave the nipple in place. Pretty minimal, as far as things go. Also healing should be pretty straightforward. My lumpectomy had an easy recovery with the worst part the lymph node excision, so this presumably should be easier.

So they did the pre-op checklist today and I'll have surgery on 11/13!! Will get it in and done before end of year, won't need to start over on my insurance deductible and co-pay stuff, and will be substantially healed by Christmas.

• Mymomsgirl
    edited October 2019
    Options

Mountainmia that is great news. I actually met with my PS and fall into the 10% that need a second surgery. I have a fat necrosis where my tumor was, basically a rock hard lump that is tender to the touch. She is going to go in and remove it, add a little fat so I don't have a divot and then she is going to reduce and lift the right a little more so the stars are aligned. I've decided to wait until January, my holidays were ruined because of this disease last year and this year I'm going to enjoy them.

• mountainmia
    edited October 2019
    Options

Mymomsgirl, sorry that you need a revision, but that sounds like a good solution and good timing.

• Phoenixwmn
    Phoenixwmn Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2019
    Options

From your description, it seems I had same surgery as you; Lumpectomy with bilateral oncoplasty/reduction mammaplasty/nipples removed & re-positioned/re-attached. My incisions travel from about 2.5" past both armpits forward onto my flanks, traverse my chest, up my sternum a few inches, around both nipples, and the "anchor" or upside-down T-shape incision running down the center beneath both nipples into the main transverse incision lying in the creases. I went from a 38DD to a 36B. I also opted to participate in the "Shave" Study (conducted by Yale) which meant about 15% extra surgery/tissue removed as tumor margins. (in addition to the primary procedure). I had two different surgeons from 2 different practices ---one doing strictly BC, and a Plastics guy doing the oncoplasty reduction. My surgery was 6 hours. Perhaps because I am older ( was 68 then) I have to tell you, this surgery totally kicked my butt. I was SO sure I'd come home & make it all work & be just fine; I couldn't have been more wrong and it really bothered me that I needed any help. Thank God, my 22 yr old Granddaughter came from Fla to help me. I have a farm in a VERY remote area, so getting back & forth to appts was challenging, still can be. So here's my question for you guys----I have a lot of difficulty with post-surgical neuropathy. I have the usual Lymphedema, and other than the common-sense precautions we must all take re: Lymphedema, I live with it pretty well. My incisions,however, are all still fairly touchy, although def better than the first 6 months. I honestly cannot tolerate a bra sitting on incisions or the kitty laying on my chest, etc. It was a lot of trial & error to find sports bras I could stand to wear. No underwires, of course.

Biggest thing is the tingling/kinda "burny" pain in my forearms,hands/fingers. I was a professional Fine Artist before surgery and since surgery, it's been very challenging to paint; I keep dropping brushes etc; incredibly frustrating. I've also dropped/broken china & crystal to the point that I'm afraid to pick them up. Turning the steering wheel when I drive is a lot of work, have to do it with my left hand. I still must use the heart-shaped pillow the local Breast Cancer Org gave me, between my chest and the seat belt.

I am so hoping anyone who's experienced this can tell me it gets better, that there's relief, that it improves with more time or there's something I can do to diminish it. I'm kinda isolated out here (I love my life here, not whining!) and don't have much contact with other Breast Cancer Warriors. You folks are my best resource. Just hoping someone can give me some input on this.

I want to offer a heartfelt Thank You to Nyama for the detailed, in-depth post; it's incredibly instructive! I sure wish I'd seen it BEFORE this surgery! LOL. I would've been taking the Colace prior to surgery; I didn't think I was ever gonna be able to poop again for a while there. Smile Although I've worked as an Artist-Author since I retired in 2001, I have 31+ years as a Critical Care RN---you'd think somebody woulda thought about the durned Colace beforehand. LOL Little things like that can SO make a difference in how you fare post-op.

While I'm saddened so many of us are here for this reason, I am grateful to know you're part of this ongoing conversation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

• Phoenixwmn
    Phoenixwmn Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2019
    Options

To DeweyGirl19:

I slept propped up, almost sitting position, for many months; still can't lay on my abdomen; I think those days are gone. My surgery may not've been exactly like yours, not sure; but I've gotten pretty creative with firm memory foam pillows. I can side-sleep now, but I still toss & turn quite bit. I laugh about it...I think sleeping through the night has become a privilege now; another of those little daily things we do & don't think about until we can't do them any more without thinking about them first.

I sincerely hope time brings you relief and rest. I hope you're doing better. Heart

• Mymomsgirl
    edited November 2019
    Options

Phoenixwmn it sounds like you would benefit from a PT session with someone who specializes with BC patients. I was having a lot of ROM issues and my PT says the radiation shrinks the muscles and you have to keep things up for a year. I know you mentioned being remote, you might be able to go in to get the exercises and do them at home. It might help.

• mountainmia
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi, all. Wow, Phoenixwmn, what an amazing description of your recovery. I'm sorry you're still having problems, esp with the neuropathy. I would think that would be frustrating and also depressing, given your art. Very sad. :(

Today I had reduction surgery on my healthy breast. The lumpectomy was in April, followed by chemo and rads. I finished all that 9/17. And really it was only after that, basically less than 2 months ago, that I even realized that symmetry surgery was even an option. So I'm lucky to be able to have it done so quickly. The surgeon had a cancellation in the schedule and I was the lucky winner of the time slot!

I'm still a bit dull from the anesthesia, mentally cleared most of the way but a bit clumsy still. Typing this is challenging! Tomorrow should be better. I'll be able to shower tomorrow evening if I want so can see something of the results then.

At this point I have almost no pain. If you asked me about the 0-10 scale, I'd say mostly 0, with occasional twinges of 1. Hoping that continues, especially overnight. I warned my husband I'll be on my back and he should use ear plugs!

I'll let you know what I find out over the next few days. I know it will be several months until I can really tell how it will look. Hoping for the best, but will be content if it is simply better. :)

• mountainmia
    edited December 2019
    Options

Today is one month since my reduction surgery. I'm pretty happy with the results, as far as I can tell at this point. My left breast had the IDC and DCIS and lumpectomy, followed by radiation. My right breast had the reduction surgery to make it match more closely. I do think when it's done healing the right will actually be slightly smaller than the left. I know they can't be perfectly symmetrical, and naturally that's more true than not, too. So if there is a little difference, I'm okay with it and I'm glad to be a bit smaller.

The pathology report showed normal tissue, no sign of disease, which was good news. They removed 130 grams of tissue, which included interior as well as skin. That is the weight of a medium to large banana, which amazes me! I wasn't really that big-breasted to start with, a C cup.

The healing has gone fine. I'm still wearing a bra almost all the time, just not for showers, of course, and sometimes for naps. But overnight it is still more comfortable. The incisions look like they will be pretty smooth when done. The color will be mostly hidden. So the scarring won't bother me.

All in all, so far I'm really glad I had this done, and I think I'll be even more pleased once it's more healed.

• AMLMom
    AMLMom Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi, I had lumpectomy with oncoplasty in February. They removed a fairly large area. I believe the cancer was 9.5 cm (mostly DCIS with 6mm of IDC in the largest area and multiple microinvasion around the rest). If everything looks good on my rightbreast on MRI on 12/29, fingers crossed they will reduce my right breast to match in the new year.

my left breast is still tender and it's hard to sleep most nights. My shoulder and underarm sometime hurts too. My breast has various hard areas which I assume is from the radiation. Hoping this is normal. 🤞🤞🤞

Overall, fairly happy with how I was able to save my breast even with a large area of cancer

EDITED to correct tumour size

• mountainmia
    edited December 2019
    Options

AMLMom, sounds like you are doing well. I don't know if physical therapy could help at all with your left side discomfort, but it's worth asking for a referral, if you haven't already tried it. Also I don't know abou the hardness. If it concerns you, check with the RO.

Good luck with getting clearance and having the reduction surgery. Let us know what you find out.

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2020
    Options

nyama, thanks for this thread. I just searched for something related to lumpectomy and oncoplasty and here it is! I will begin reading and post here, but just wanted to quickly say how glad I am that there is a thread specific to the surgery I will be having next month.

• mountainmia
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi striveforhealth. Let us know more as you get closer to your surgery.

Mine is healing well. I had lumpectomy in April 2019 and reduction of the healthy breast in November, so not at the same time. That doesn't bother me at all but would be less good for some people. My recent surgery is healing great. The sensitivity along the scars is very low; my nipple otherwise does have sensation as it did before. The size and shape are settling as it heals, so it is quite similar to the other breast. Overall, I'm really happy I decided to do this and happy with the results.

• striveforhealth
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hello all. What a wonderful thread. It's taken me a while to get through reading all these posts and I've learned so much. I am very appreciative of the information shared and the support given by so many great ladies. Some of you have had a few struggles and for the most part the rest seem to have fared very well with oncoplastic surgery. It's been enlightening to read each and every post, every link, and especially the lists of these are things to know about that might be helpful to you. Wow. So glad I'm here.

My surgery is now scheduled for Feb 26. I decided on a lumpectomy and bilateral oncoplasty with reduction and lift after lots of contemplation and research after my consult with the Breast surgeon and the Plastic surgeon. I requested my BS to get generous margins for the lumpectomy. Tomorrow afternoon I have a pre-surgery consult with the plastic surgeon when we will go over the fine details of my surgery and go over lots of information so I can prepare for surgery and recovery. The PS works with my BS but he is located in a different city. He travels to her to do the surgery. I don't mind the 45 minute drives to the PS's office because he is very professional and extremely experienced. 80% of his PS practice consists of breast cancer surgeries. I'm feeling comfortable with my team at this point. I'll meet the RO and MO after I've had some time to heal to plan what will be next for my treatment.

I'm naturally a bit nervous but do feel like this is the best plan for me. The non-cancer right breast is getting a mammogram (1 month away from my annual) Thursday to ensure that it is still the same healthy breast from 11 months ago. This is being done prior to going through all this reconstruction surgery. Wouldn't it be just terrible if after this surgery was over and I went for the right breast annual mammogram and an issue was discovered? That would mean all the reconstruction was for naught and I would need another surgery... Yikes! If there's an issue I want to know it before Feb 26. So glad my BS agreed to this. Seeing a negative mammo will give me more peace of mind going into the surgery.

My right breast is at least a full cup size larger than my affected left breast. I have always felt too chesty and have experienced discomfort in a variety of ways over many years. I wouldn't have ever had a reduction and lift if not for this diagnosis so I am hoping for two breasts similarly sized. I'm thinking of the reduction and lift a bonus for having to go through breast cancer surgery and treatment....lol ;-)

I've read many great tips and idea from the members here...new and older... I want to thank all who have taken the time to pop in here and participate because it has made me feel that I'm not "alone" in this. Honestly, this group is so beneficial and I'm glad to have found Breast Cancer Organization and the forums. I am also in the DCIS Forum and I started a February Surgery Group Forum here.

Thanks ladies. Please feel free to comment and BTW I live in CT if any of you are in the area...give a shout out!

• striveforhealth
    edited January 2020
    Options

Today I received the results of my right breast mammogram....negative. No issues = more peace of mind going into this bilateral oncoplastic surgery. I met yesterday with the PA for my plastic surgeon to go over all the fine details of my surgery, and before and after instructions. She scheduled my post-surgery follow-up appointments, sent an order for an EKG and bloodwork to my primary, and put the order in to my pharmacy for meds. I left feeling like everything is organized and that I'm in good hands. I also received all the paperwork. I like that everything we've discussed gets written down because my brain is surely on overload and I can't depend on my memory. lol

The only concern that remains for me is that I get sick from anesthesia and narcotic pain medicine...even with the anti-nausea meds. I'm think I'm going to try Tramadol this time for after surgery pain. I really hope it doesn't make me sick and helps with pain.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hello All: On another thread members mentioned that they had a 'pain ball' for pain control. Did anyone have that?

• mountainmia
    edited February 2020
    Options

I don't know what a pain ball is. I had very little pain with either of my surgeries (lumpectomy in April and reduction on healthy breast in November.) I used tylenol for a few days and then was done. Having both sides done at the same time, and possibly more extensive surgery depending on what's being done to the cancerous breast, could certainly cause more pain. But sorry, I don't know.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

MountainMia I hope you are continuing to recover well. I read over my post-op instructions that I picked up at the pre-surgery consult last week and I see that my plastic surgeon doesn't want me to go back to my exercise routine until 6 weeks after my surgery. I know your oncoplastic surgery was in 2 stages and mine will be one surgery. Do you think I will need 6 weeks of surgery recovery before getting back to exercise?

• mountainmia
    edited February 2020
    Options

striveforhealth, I think you'll want to keep active with walking and gentle stretching. They should give you, I hope, some information on post-op stretching to do, to retain range of motion. If they don't, ask for it. You probably can start to lift light weights after a couple of weeks. From my own experience, post-lumpectomy, I tried to start weights quite early and was "rewarded" with a very bad case of cording. So REALLY go light, much lighter than you think you need to, like 3 lb weights, not 8 lb. And stick with that for longer than you think you need. Just keep active and keep your parts moving. But be sensitive to what your body tells you. This is NOT a no-pain-no-gain time.

Good luck and thanks for the good wishes.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks so much for this advice and your cautions about exercise MountainMia. I just realized that the PS's office emailed me some PT exercises to focus on after my surgery that focus on my range of motion. The Y workouts can wait as I don't want to do anything to compromise the healing. Eventually I'll get back there...without cancer in my breast. :-)

I'm so pleased that you are happy with your results.

• Boatswife
    Boatswife Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi. I am new and this is my first post! I had my surgery on 11/22/19. I found this forum and it helped me process everything. I am very grateful for all these experiences.

I had a Right lumpectomy w/Oncooplastic reduction/lift for symmetry. I saw "pain balls" mentioned, which is a nerve block (like an epidural). The balls or reservoirs are filled with local anesthesia and over time the balls are automatically emptied creating pain relief. I had one and it was really great. I highly recommend this if you are given the option. I didn't have any drains.

Everything went well with the surgery. Per my doctor, someone else may have different rules, my only restriction was not to lift anything above 10 pounds for 6 weeks. I was expecting to be limited in lifting my arms, but she wanted me to use them like normal and I did. One of my nipples was a little sensitive, but it feels normal now. I kept the bra that they gave me on for 24 hours for 4 weeks, then off only at night. My pre surgery underwire bra was just a little too big and was very uncomfortable afterwards. I found a Warner no underwire bra that felt the best to me. Feels like a sports bra, but looks like a bras. Really soft and you can find them on sale sothey are affordable. I went down maybe a cup size, and the lift was amazing.

I was very fortunate and all my doctors agreed that I didn't need radiation. Since I already had a hysterectompainsy w/tubes and ovaries removed and post menopausal, they put me on Arimidex.

Only six weeks on it so far. Muscle/joint aches/, plus some other things that I need to search for on the forum. Lol Not intolerable, just annoying.

Editing in. I meant to say good luck with your surgery! You are going to rock this!

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

So nice to hear from you Boatswife. Thanks for posting here about your surgery. I'm glad you made out well with your surgery and that you are recovering well. I spoke with the surgeons about my concern for post surgery nausea from anesthesia and pain pills. Pain balls were not discussed and I didn't know about them until I read about it in the forums. Now that I know about them I am interested in this pain relief. I have had pain blocks with foot and wrist surgeries and I was pain free for something like 22 hours post surgery. Was this pain ball offered to you on the day of surgery when you met with the anesthesiologist or was this pain relief discussed with your surgeon prior to your surgery date and something that had to be planned for in advance of your surgery date?

I will be having 2 drains inserted. How did you manage with your drains? I have to review my printed post op restrictions, but I recall that I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug for a specific period of time.

I hope to hear back from you. Continued blessings for your recovery.

• Boatswife
    edited February 2020
    Options

I am sorry that I didn’t get back to you before your surgery. I was thinking of you today and was hoping everything was going well.

Just so others will know, you can discuss the pain balls with the Anesthesiologists. I really encourage it. I think it helped a lot.

I didn’t have any drains, but I think I saw some excellent posts from others that had them.

Can’t wait to hear how you are doing.

• striveforhealth
    edited February 2020
    Options

I made out well with the surgery yesterday. The anesthesiologist wasn't familiar with pain balls for this surgery. They prescribed the patch for nausea and I placed it before I went to bed the night before surgery. I had some pain when I woke up from surgery and they gave me Tramadol which helped. Thankfully I did not have any nausea when I woke up from surgery. I took pain meds only 3 times since I'm home. I have some discomfort now but it's not that bad so I might not need them anymore. Drains seem to be working well and when I go for my follow up next Wednesday they will more than likely remove them.

I hope everyone is managing well. Blessings.

• Boatswife
    edited February 2020
    Options

I wish you could see the BIG SMILE on my face. I am so happy you are doing well and are able to control the pain!

It’s a great day!

• Doggielover73
    Doggielover73 Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you so much for this thread. I am finding it extremely helpful while navigating the confusing world of breast cancer treatment. When my PS presented the option of a lumpectomy, oncoplastic reduction and then nipple sparing mastectomy, I didn't realize it was not an overly common approach (what did I know, lol). I did an extraordinary amount of research on choosing my BS and treatment but just went with the PS my BS worked with because BS is considered top in the area at one of the top rated health systems in the city (and probably the country).

So, I'll save my "day of surgery" story for another time and focus on my actual surgery and recovery challenges that make me want to scream or cry out in frustration... or both! I had a R lumpectomy and bilateral oncolplastic reduction at the end of January to prepare for a nipple sparing mastectomy scheduled for mid March. First frustration occurred immediately after surgery when I was in a considerable amount of pain in recovery. The nurse gave me a dose of deltoid and then another one a little while later when my pain remained unchanged. After some time had passed and my pain level had only decreased minimally, she tried to have a resident prescribe a narcotic, to no avail. The PS believes that all of his patient's should be discharged on only Tylenol and Motrin; therefore, none of the residents would prescribe it. I finally left with a prescription for Tramadol (which the nurse had to work VERY hard for) and her instructions to call the office for something stronger the next day. I called the office the next day to explain my pain level and request a few days of a stronger pain med (pain could be described as what my c section had felt like only higher up) and was denied, repeatedly, over the next few days. By day 3 post-op, the pain had subsided enough that the tramadol did the trick and then I could decrease to Tylenol and Motrin from there.

So 2 weeks later, went in for follow up with PS, BS and to meet MO. 3 days after the appts, incision opened at T juncture of right breast and a few days later opened on left breast :-(. At this point, I didn't know what this was and was alarmed to say the least. After multiple calls to PS office and long wait times, I finally realized the best way to communicate was by sending both messages and pictures through email. The PA explained that it was called "delayed healing" and that it would close on its own and there wasn't really anything that I could do to speed the process. The problem is that I have another surgery to worry about (BMX) in about 4 weeks. I couldn't believe there was NOTHING I could do and my next surgery date is dependent upon my healing! That being said, I FINALLY saw the PS (previously scheduled appt to discuss MX) a few days ago and he asked if I had been covering it? I was told that I didn't need to cover it, only if it was uncomfortable to prevent rubbing. He gave me some petroleum gauze and told me to cover it and eat more protein. I need to have a follow up a few days before my scheduled surgery date and if it isn't healed we will need to push back the date. I am soooo sad! To the surgeon it is " only a week" (although they had already pushed it a week due to his scheduling) but to me it is an emotional decision that keeps this chapter of my life open for that much longer.

Next is that I have been experiencing nerve pain which feels like a bad sunburn every time my clothing hits the skin on either breast. When I told the BS, she said that wasn't a common complication (probably not for a lumpectomy). The PS has prescribed me gabapentin which we have now tripled the dose to no avail. It makes me very nervous for the BMX, I don't know if having the nerve pain now will mean that it will be more likely after the MX. I asked the PS and he said, " good news, bad news, the nerve pain will be gone after the MX b/c the nerves will be gone." I have read enough threads on this board (as well as journal articles) to know this isn't necessarily the case. Last but not least, I am now experiencing a reaction to the surgical tape... extreme itching and small blisters (paper tape... I've had a reaction to KT tape before, but that's it).

I am so sorry to write so much and to sound like such a complainer, but, oddly enough, it does feel a little better to get it off my chest in the hopes that someone may have a suggestion for any of my challenges.

All of this being said, I am still able to feel blessed and lucky with an early stage diagnosis and the knowledge that I had clear margins and no lymph node involvement. I still believe strongly in the treatment plan I have decided on and that I have made the best decision for myself... by why does there have to be so many bumps along the way?

• striveforhealth
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you Boatswife....smiling right back at you! Hug All continues to go well. Follow-up appt on Wednesday.

Doggielover73....I'm sorry to hear that things could be going better for you. I hope things turn around very soon.