Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

lumpectomy vs mastectomy - why did you choose your route?

Options

Comments

• CoolPandaBear
    CoolPandaBear Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi Bessie,I am new to this. Just had a lumpectomy with breast reduction/lift and now facing doc’s recommendation of a total MX of my breast because my biopsy came back margins positive. My breasts are super precious to me and I’m still young. I’m facing a very difficult decision. Thank you for this informative post! BTW, I’m pure DCIS stage 0.

• ShesAFighter76
    ShesAFighter76 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    Options

Sorry you find yourself in this predicament.

I am 42 yo, found my lump myself. Had pain. inverted nipple, itching...all.the signs. Went in Sept '19 for mammo, then biopsy, Oct '18 had lumpectomy left side. 6 cm, grade 2. Left very deformed, huge portion taken. Found out after the margins were not clean. 😞

SO I could go back in for another surgery to take more, have radiation & surgery on right to balance.

I decided on bilateral mastectomies. Why?

▪ I did not want to worry about right side

▪ I was going to have to undergo surgery on right anyway to try to provide some symmetry

▪ I did not want to EVER go thru another extremely painful biopsy or constant mammograms on right (anxiety of results, etc)

Turns out, after mastectomy the right side had a "large amount" of DCIS that had gome undetected, so I am so glad i opted for both.

I am still healing...my body does not do well with surgery. At all. I still have 2 of 4 surgical drains 55 days out. (Not typical) I have seroma on my left side, got an infection & had to go back in for surgery in Jan '19.

It can be a long, tough road, but my thought is...just get it all out of the way. Get thru this & move forward. I didn't want to be left with anxiety over whether it is there, coming back, etc. I know it could potentially still return, but I hope I have reduced the chances as much as I can.

Best wishes to you & peace in your decisions.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hey CoolPandaBear,

That sucks :(

Can you look for a second opinion? Even if the answer comes back the same, that mastectomy is recommended, just hearing it from different doctors could feel more reassuring. Preferably from the best cancer center in your area.

• charlie1966
    charlie1966 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hello all, I appreciate all of your posts, the information provided is helpful. I have just been diagnosed with DCIS stage 0 and I am very overwhelmed on making a decision on treatment. Is it common to have a lumpectomy and then have to go back a second time? It appears that those who have the lumpectomy have it done more than once. For this reason I am not sure if I should have a mastectomy done - I just want to be rid of it and done.

• Romay
    Romay Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with DCIS this last Dec of 2018. Stage zero, left breast, small focal area. I was given the option of lumpectomy with radiation (and possible meds) or mastectomy (full or bilateral). I chose a full mastectomy with reconstruction. I'm still in the recovery process now. Here's why I made that choice:

I've had 5 years of benign biopsies with that same left breast. I was diagnosed with a PASH tumor 2 years ago (I just shared this info on another page). It was found in a mammogram but was palpable. I had it removed through surgical biopsy. Results came back benign. Two years prior to that (same breast) I had a biopsy for fibroadenomatoid "change." Also rare, although not quite as much so. Then, the DCIS diagnosis.

This is all over a 5 year span,age 40-45. Clearly that breast has some odd cell growth going on and it wasn't going to stop. So when they found the DCIS I thought, okay, so how it's made some cancer, and while it's small and treatable, clearly this breast wants to mess with me! I opted for a full mastectomy, mainly so I don't need to deal with mammos any more and for symmetry since I'm having reconstruction. Because it was caught early and I opted for mx, no rad or chemo.

The reconstruction process has been slow. Couple of complications. And I won't lie, kinda painful. But I'm very happy with my choice at this point. Even when the final pathology reports came back my doctor said that left breast was still up to something, no cancer beyond the DCIS, but cysts and other benign stuff just in the 3 weeks since the initial biopsy! My doctor concurred I likely made a good choice. No surprises in the right breast. I should also note, I had large breasts for my frame and was never terribly "attached" other than while breastfeeding. So getting new size B's was a perk, no pun intended! The choice is SO personal for every woman. Good luck!

• charlie1966
    charlie1966 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    Options

Romay thank you for sharing. Your honesty is very helpful to me.

Goodluck to you!

• hendrch1
    hendrch1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    Options

HI,

I was diagnosed with DCIS high grade 3. Since I am 56, I decided to go with lumpectomy and radiation.

Please note: surgeon confidence to get clear margins. Well, I would think again about going that route. Remember the surgeon can't see the cancer cells. The pathway is guided by a wire localization that is done before surgery.

My experience, go to a facility that has a pathologist onboard to be sure the margins will clear. plus, they can have a plastic surgeon onboard to reshape your breast after the surgeon removes more tissue. 

I didn't have clear margins my first go around. I decided to go to a research teaching place to be sure I would get clear margins. Not only did they clear my margins, I was able to move forward with radiation within 4wks. It was quick and over with. They literally saved my breast. There was a plastic surgeon onboard, who reshaped my breast. The surgeon had other target areas to remove besides clearing my margins.  It's not worth the aggravation getting a lumpectomy and end up with positive margins. You want to be sure to get clear margins the first round. Do your research. I live in MA and ended up taking a flight to Rochester, MN. It was the best decision I ever made. Go with your gut instincts. Every case is unique and different. Just because you have DCIS in one breast, it doesn't mean you have to remove both. The place where I went for my procedure had no interest in my other breast because it was unremarkable. Also, my ICD 0.8cm  was small but located on my left breast - worse location. Another plus, the place where I went does a hold and breathe technique, which helps protect your lung and heart. Some places do not offer that. Again, you will need to ask these questions. I almost lost my job because my first surgery took me out of work   - 6wks. Best decision I ever made. I am so pleased with my outcome. If you have PPO full coverage, you can go wherever you want. Don't have your surgeon tell you differently. Niceness doesn't count in seeking the best treatment care for yourself. The most critical part of cancer when you get diagnosed. Pathologist report and getting clear margins. And, the first one was elevated.  You have to trust the place where you are seeking treatment care. I ended up with (2) different Pathology reports. You have time to research and decide. 

• jpea
    jpea Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi, I am new to this forum. I don't mean to appear superficial, but was wondering if anyone can comment on the cosmetic outcomes of lumpectomy vs mastectomy for DCIS? I am still trying to choose. My mass was 1.4cm by mammogram/ultrasound, but 5cm by MRI. The doctors (surgeon vs radiologist) are in disagreement over which they believe (the MRI may not be tumor, but instead biopsy bruising) and won't know until pathology after surgery. Even at 1.4cm the surgeon said she would take out an amount equivalent to the size of an egg - which seems large to me for a good cosmetic result (I am not large to begin with). They have said they can do lumpectomy and then go back in for a mastectomy later if pathology comes back poor, but I'd really prefer to avoid two surgeries if possible. Thoughts?

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi jpea,

I think cosmetic results depend on a bunch of factors - location of tumor, your breast shape/size, and of course the surgeon's skill. But I had a 1.8cm tumor and the doc told me she took about a ping pong ball size but cosmetically it looks great. You can barely tell, even the scar is pretty light.

Two things. Your surgeon should be able to give you an idea of cosmetic outcomes. And it is possible to have a cosmetic surgeon participate in the lumpectomy to get the best cosmetic result. You can ask your surgeon about that.

• Stitch
    Stitch Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2019
    Options

I figure I'll put in my 2 cents since I just made my decision.  I chose lumpectomy with radiation.  I may regret that due to the fact that I have what's called "cheap Irish skin".  I burn easily, and I'm 60 with little elasticity left. I meet with the RO next week.  To me, at first BMX was the way to go, especially having a high grade DCIS, and being hormone negative.  Then I talked with my BS, and her answers to my concerns and questions satisfied me that the standard of care for my DX is good enough for me.  

BMX means more possible side effects.  Lymphedema, surgical complications, reconstruction (I'm not ready to be flat), and so forth.  Reconstruction isn't something I want to deal with right now, and I abhor the idea of implants.  With the lumpectomy, my BS isn't even putting me under general anesthesia.  It's going to be an IV, like when you get a colonoscopy.  If I were to require a mastectomy later down the road, I couldn't have reconstruction using implants, I'd have to have a LAT FLAP style reconstruction.  But, I'm hoping that day never comes.  My hope is that if it does, it comes when I'm maybe 70 or older, and I will just have to be fine with flat at that point!

Of course, this is all contingent upon my biopsy on 2nd breast coming back benign - there's a little smooth pea shape thing in there, but they are confident it's benign, just taking precautions.  With BMX, there is no going back.  With lumpectomy, I can always do a BMX if necessary later.  For now, this is good!  

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited April 2019
    Options

jpea, if you are concerned about the cosmetic outcome, you need to consider the type of reconstruction you would have, and look at pictures. Reconstructed breasts, particularly those with implants, don't look and particularly don't feel or move the same as natural breasts. Autologous reconstruction (DIEP, GAP) usually results in more natural looking and feeling breasts, but leaves other scars on the body in other locations.

From this site: https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/reconstruction/pictures

From MDAnderson: https://www.mdanderson.org/content/dam/mdanderson/documents/patients-and-family/diagnosis-and-treatment/treatment-options/breast-reconstruction/reconstruction-gallery.pptx

• jpea
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thank you to all who responded - each reply was helpful in its own way. I am going in for a third biopsy tomorrow which will hopefully shed more light on my situation.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2019
    Options

I opted for a lumpectomy mainly because my tumor was small and my BS was all about saving the breast. I didn’t think the scar was that bad it’s on the outside so not that visible but my Ob dr thought he did a hatchet job. I don’t think it’s that bad. Anyway I’m glad I elected to do the lumpectomy vs a MX. My sister chose a MX but she had a different kind of BC. I had IDC and she had ILC. My Oncotype score was low, hers was intermediate.

It’s hard to believe but survival rates are the same.

Unfortunately my sister’s came back after 4 years as a local recurrence near the MX scar. I will be 8 years out in August God willing.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Diane

• TammyKh
    TammyKh Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2019
    Options

I chose mastectomy with delayed reconstruction for some following reasons:

1. I was diagnosed with DCIS, grade 3 and my lump was as big as 4.5cm and very close to my nipple that my breast surgeon didn't recommend me to keep my nipple if I wanted to keep it either for lumpectomy or mastectomy due to its higher risk of recurrence. Eventually, my final pathology after surgery said that I had 0.2cm IDC. I feel like I did a right decision and my surgeon agreed with me. You never know until you have your final pathology after surgery come.

2. My breasts are so small but my palpable lump was so big, so it's likely to have a giant hole left on my left breast if I chose lumpectomy, leading to damage my breast shape. I'm still young (32yrs) and I do care about my look and my breasts very much.

3. My surgeon told me that if I chose lumpectomy, I properly had to come back to the hospital for another surgeries if she couldn't get the margin clear or she found something else in my breast and it could end it up with a mastectomy. I never have gone through any surgery in my life, so I didn't feel I liked to have more than one surgery in a short time. My delayed reconstruction surgery is scheduled in 6 months after my mastectomy.

4. By undergoing a mastectomy, I didn't need radiation and chemo therapies, so complicated side effects, fatigue, hair loss, etc were avoidable. I was told that all my invasive cancerous cells in my breast were removed out of my body by mastectomy. Fingers cross! Now I am only taking hormone therapy (Tamoxifen).

5. For those who have their small boobs and wish to have the bigger ones without spending a lot of money for cosmetic surgery, you could take this chance to get your new boobs. Although I am NOT a fan of big boobs and my boobs are so small (under A cup), it is free for me to get a new size of my boobs and I told my plastic surgeon that B cup boobs are what I need.

Like someone said decision is very personal in every woman. Listen your body and only you can know what you really want and like. Although choosing a mastectomy is my right decision and I won't regret my choice, I had experienced some its side effects: UTIs, impossible to sleep on my stomach, uncomfortable feelings with tissue expander...

edited April 2019
    Options

Just to provide clarity, for pure DCIS, chemo is never required.

And for those with invasive cancer, if chemo is deemed to be necessary, this remains true regardless of whether the patient has a lumpectomy, an unilateral mastectomy, or a bilateral mastectomy. Surgery is a localized treatment whereas chemo is a systemic treatment, so the choice of surgery does not change whether not chemo is required.

Tammy, have you had your exchange surgery yet? If not, you need to be careful to have realistic expectations so that you are not disappointed - I've been on this site for a long time and I've seen too much disappointment after exchange surgeries. A BMX followed by implant breast reconstruction is nothing like cosmetic breast enhancement. Cosmetic breast enhancement places an implant behind the breast tissue, leaving all the breast tissue in place and therefore resulting in a natural feeling and looking breast. A mastectomy removes all the breast tissue so the reconstructed breast is 100% implant, which is generally firmer and has much less movement (as in, no movement) as compared to a natural breast. An implant reconstructed breast, while in most cases more comfortable and a bit softer than an expander, is probably more similar to an expander that it is to a natural breast. Assuming you have not yet had your exchange surgery, good luck with it!

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited April 2019
    Options

To add to Beesie comment, a DIEP reconstruction can give you a natural feeling and looking breast. But this surgery is not for everyone. A good plastic surgeon familiar with the procedure should be able to assess if you are a candidate.

• TammyKh
    edited April 2019
    Options

I haven't had my reconstruction yet. It's scheduled in June. My plastic surgeon also told me that implant reconstructed breast is completely different from natural breast but he has tried his best to make good symmetric for my breasts. Before that, my breast surgeon gave me a "warning" that my natural breast would be gone permanently and never come back if I opt for mastectomy. So, I totally understand that I will never get my natural breast back but implant reconstructed breast could be "not bad" option for me cause I'm not comfortable to be flat or have a giant hole left on my breast.After getting consulted by my plastic surgeon, I can say that I don't expect to have the perfect result after the reconstruction.

Another good thing is no more double push-up and underwired bras, so I can save a lot of money. lol

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2019
    Options

Tammykh, if you are wanting small breasts, look into creating mounds using fat grafts alone. It is being done in some women. If you are a candidate you'd avoid implants, big scars in other places like with DIEP, and you'd get other areas of your body "sculpted" during the fat harvesting process. Something to consider...

• jpea
    edited April 2019
    Options

Update for me: my latest MRI-guided biopsy showed my tumor "growth" was really just bruising from my original biopsy, so not growth at all. My surgery is now scheduled for early May. I am opting for lumpectomy with radiation over mastectomy because my tumor is small (1.4cm) and it feels better to me to conserve as much of my body as I can. I am not concerned about reccurrence - it either will or will not happen and odds are similar for both treatments. My doctor has allowed that should I be unhappy with the looks of the lumpectomy then I can have plastic surgery done a year or more out, once I have healed. I feel comforted having options. But certainly this is a personal choice.

As a side note, I want to clarify how chemo may still be on the table for me, even with DCIS. My surgeon is also doing a sentinel node removal to ensure my cancer has not spread to the lymphs, even though I am currently diagnosed as DCIS. She does not like to rule out invasive cancer as a possibility until the pathology report is done. The lymph node will be analyzed mid-surgery, and if found cancerous then I will get chemo.

edited April 2019
    Options

It is true that invasive cancer cannot be ruled out when DCIS is found in a needle biospy. In about 20% of cases, some invasive cancer will be found in the final pathology. Usually it is just a microinvasion (as I had), which does move the diagnosis up to Stage I but does not usually change the treatment plan.

Normal practice (as per the NCCN Treatment Guidelines, see the link below) for a lumpectomy with DCIS is to not perform a SNB. The risk of lymphedema, even though low when only a few nodes are removed, is higher than the risk that cancer will be found in the nodes when the diagnosis is pure DCIS. In fact should a tiny amount of cancer be found in the nodes (ITC - isolated tumor cells) when the final pathology is pure DCIS, the medical assumption is that the cells were accidentally placed onto the node by the surgical instrument. If there is more cancer than just ITC, then the assumption is that there may be an occult invasive cancer, i.e. invasive cancer in the breast that was not found in the surgery. That situation is extremely rare, and in these cases the diagnosis will no longer be considered to be Stage 0 DCIS. As soon as anything more than ITC is found in the nodes, the staging changes to at least Stage IB.

What is more commonly done with a lumpectomy for DCIS is that if the final pathology shows invasive cancer in addition to the DCIS, a second quick procedure is done for the SNB. In this way, the patient isn't subjected to the risk of lymphedema unnecessarily. Note that while about 20% of preliminary DCIS cases are upgraded because of a finding of invasive cancer, only about 10% or less of those invasive cases end up with positive nodes. So that's about a 2% risk. Having said that, there are some situations where the risk of finding invasive cancer is higher. These would be cases where there appears to be a large amount of DCIS (I had over 7cm) and where the DCIS is aggressive (grade 3, comedonecrosis). Sometimes in these situations, an SNB will be done at the time of the lumpectomy, but that is still not the norm.

As for chemo, jpea, I'm very surprised that your surgeon mentioned that you would be getting chemo if node positive. Yes, this might be the case, but with ITC or micromets to the nodes (which is the most likely possibility if cancer is found after a preliminary diagnosis of DCIS), chemo would usually not be given. Whether chemo is prescribed for invasive cancer depends on many factors including the hormone status of the cancer and the Oncotype score. Triple negative and HER2+ are more likely to get chemo for very small invasive cancers even when node negative; ER+/PR+/HER2- cancers are much less likely to require chemo, even with 1 or 2 positive nodes. The expert on this is the Medical Oncologist; it is not the area of expertise of a surgeon and surgeons do not get a say in this decision.

Lastly, the pathology check of the nodes that is done while in surgery is a preliminary check. It may find cancer in the nodes if the area of cancer is fairly prominent, but if there are just ITC or micromets to the nodes, these could be missed. A final more thorough pathology check is usually done after the surgery.

See page 24 of the NCCN Treatment Guidelines for Noninvasive Breast Cancer (this is the patient's version; there is a much more detailed physician's version) for the recommended treatment options for DCIS.

And here are the NCCN Treatment Guidelines for Invasive Breast Cancer. These would come into play should the final pathology show either invasive cancer and/or positive nodes.

Please note that all the information I've provided is just to allow individuals to ask their medical team the right questions. It's important to be an informed patient (and I am trying to help in that regard) but ultimately we need to trust our doctors and work with our doctors to together make the medical decisions that are right for us.

• TammyKh
    edited April 2019
    Options

VegGal - Unfortunately, I am not a candidate for DIEP cause I am skinny. My plastic surgeon told me that my body doesn't have enough fat to do DIEP and implant reconstructed breast is the best option for me and I am still young, unmarried. Only one thing I am very concerned and unhappy is that I DO NOT have any feeling (sensation) in my cancerous breast after mastectomy anymore. I think if the sensation/physical feelings are really important to your life, then you should choose lumpectomy over mastectomy.

A funny story that when I told my mom what I was told by my plastic surgeon regarding to I need more fatty tissues to do DIEP, she was joking that she was happy to "donate" her belly, back and thigh fat.

Bessie - A fact that researchers haven't known which women who are diagnosed with DCIS will be "upgraded" to IDC and which women whose DCIS diagnosis is still stayed over the time. So, they recommend women to opt either lumpectomy with radiation therapy or mastectomy. Chemo would be decided if SNB are positive in combination. There are many factors to be assessed to give the treatments after the final pathology and I believe that it's also up to oncologists who would give patients all important information and recommendations after the surgeries.

edited April 2019
    Options

Tammy, yes, every diagnosis of DCIS from a needle biopsy is a preliminary diagnosis, and any case could be upgraded to invasive cancer once the final surgery is done and the full pathology is available. That said, overall ~20% of preliminary DCIS diagnoses are upgraded, and certain features of the preliminary DCIS diagnosis (large, high grade, multi-focal) present a higher risk to be upgraded, whereas other features (small, low grade, single focus) present only a very small risk of being upgraded. Whatever the diagnosis (DCIS or invasive cancer), the final diagnosis and staging can never be done until surgery is complete. The NCCN treatment guidelines for DCIS recommend either a lumpectomy + rads, or a mastectomy + SNB, or in very specific cases, a lumpectomy alone. I refer people again to the NCCN Guideline link that I provided in my previous post.

There should be no discussion about chemo in the context of a Stage 0 DCIS diagnosis. Chemo is not given for DCIS. However, chemo can come into play for those who've been preliminarily diagnosed with DCIS via a needle biopsy, but only if the final diagnosis after surgery is no longer DCIS but has been upgraded to invasive cancer. This would be because IDC was found in the breast tissue and/or because there is nodal involvement beyond ITC (isolated tumor cells). In those situations, the diagnosis has become invasive cancer, and is no longer Stage 0 DCIS. So if chemo enters the discussion, the diagnosis is not DCIS.

And again, a diagnosis of invasive cancer and the presence of positive nodes does not necessarily mean that chemo will be required. It might be, but there are many factors that the Medical Oncologist will consider.

All that said, most of the people who come here to read this forum and thread, who have started off with a needle biopsy result of DCIS, will end up with a final diagnosis of DCIS, Stage 0. And no invasive cancer, no positive nodes and no chemo.

• famousthecat
    famousthecat Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    Options

Soi thought I'd weigh in, just because I recently made this decision and I'm sitting in the dark waiting for my 5 and 3 year old to go to bed anyway. 😂 If I was just concerned about my DCIS, my treatment plan would be a likely successful second excision to get good margins followed by hormone therapy (because we'd want to save radiation for a future, more invasive recurrence - basically banking on that happening since I'm only 40).

But then we ran the numbers for breast cancer likelihood, and I'm at 50.4% chance of getting breast cancer in my lifetime based on diagnosis and history. To me, it's a no brainier. If I don't have to go through years of hormones and screenings and MRIs and more frequent biopsies (my one biopsy was torture, and I walked away knowing I could not do that again awake) and just waiting for the bad news that it's invasive and requires chemo and a mastectomy and radiation anyway? Yes, get rid of them.

Now I'm in the stage of figuring out reconstruction or not. But that's it. I feel annoyed already, having to justify my decision to others, because I feel like, once I lay it all out, it's just so obvious.

• prepmom
    prepmom Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2019
    Options

I, too, recently made this decision and thought I'd share my thought process. I ultimately decided on BMX with tissue expanders. Implant exchange is Nov 4th. At the end of May I was diagnosed with DCIS, at the age of 50. My mother had BC diagnosed at 48 and again at 50. She opted for a lumpectomy with radiation and then MX with second occurrence. I've been tested for a panel of 15 gene mutations - none present.

My diagnosis led to an MRI with a need for 2 additional biopsies (one left, one right). The left pathology came back as LCIS. The MRI also noted a large (>6 cm, I'm a small B cup) area of atypia, but probably benign cells- "a busy breast". I sought opinions at 2 well known research / teaching hospitals. One thought that there would be both skin and chest wall involvement. The other disagreed. Both ultimately recommended BMX due to DCIS / LCIS dx, family history, and age. Lumpectomy with radiation and tamoxifen was also an option, but I couldn't live with the risk or additional surveillance that would have been required.

Fortunately, the final pathology after surgery showed no skin or chest wall involvement - good margins! For me my choice was obvious, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. I was in great shape prior to surgery and (full) recovery is slower than I would have liked. I'm counting the days until Nov 4th, my exchange date.

• Calendergirl
    Calendergirl Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    Options

I’m working my way through the decision phase, by any means this is not an easy process. Bravo, for finding your path.

I was just up for a lumpectomy, but my MRI showed two more masses hiding, so I’m opting for bilateral MX with tissue expanders.

Please tell me how you are healing? Any suggestions?

I wish you all the best on the 4th, Stay well

• prepmom
    edited October 2019
    Options

Calendargirl- I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. But that said, you will be OK! Know this, keep it at the forefront of your thoughts, make it your mantra. Remember, that every situation is very different, but in my case the healing process went well. My incisions under my breast (I was able to have nipple sparing BMX) and from the SNB healed with no issue, no pain - I was off Rx pain meds within 3 days of coming home. Because of the BS's fear of skin involvement, she had to do quite a bit of work close to the skin. Great news- clean margins! However, this also left me with a half-dollar area of skin wound. I followed my PS's instructions to a T - showered daily with anti-bacterial soap and used triple- antibiotic cream. It took all of the past 11 weeks to get it to completely close, but thank goodness it has. Again, no pain, just a bit of worrying, but I knew I was in good hands.

I will not sugar-coat the tissue expanders. I am a very petite person and for me they have been extremely uncomfortable, but nothing I couldn't handle. No pain meds needed but I do take 2.5mg of diazapam (valium) to relax and sleep at night. I have no personal fear of becoming addicted, after my surgery on Monday, I'm done with that.

I have a wonderful physical therapist that is right in my PS's office. I was fairly fit prior to my surgery and have surprisingly had a bit of trouble regaining full mobility in my left shoulder. It is hard to wrap my head around not being able to workout like I used to at this time (I've lost a lot of strength as well) but my PT says I will get there. It does not keep me from doing most things and I just remind myself that this is a marathon not a sprint. There are many other women who do not have this issue. Again, everyone heals differently. In the end, I remind myself that 'I will be OK' and just keep doing everything I can to help myself.

As for timing, I had a great support group. My husband has been amazing. He did much of the housework and cooking for the first 3 weeks (I had a freezer-full to help him) and still does more than he ever did. However, within 5 weeks I was at a family wedding- dancing with my family, exhausted the next day. I took 8 weeks to return to my part-time job (from home)- it requires a lot of concentration and computer work. I didn't want to return until I knew I could do so at 100%. At 9 weeks, I went to the Penn State-Michigan game. It was a long day- all afternoon spent tailgating and then a 3.5 hour game. I walked almost 6 miles that day. Had a wonderful time! My husband and I have been going out to dinner once a week since about a month out. As I tell people who ask - I can do almost anything, just not in one day. Finally, at 11 weeks out, I am feeling back to normal except for these damn expanders. That's why I'm so excited for surgery on Monday. I'm in the homestretch. The finish line is in sight.

Finally, for me I have not mourned the loss of my breasts. Again, this is a very personal thing, but for me it was a trade I was willing to make. While intimate with my husband, I do miss the 'real ones' but I have no regrets. I played the hand I was dealt and I am confident in my future.

I will hold you in my prayers. Stay strong. You will be OK!

• Calendergirl
    Calendergirl Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2019
    Options

maybe I’m dreaming, I’m sure I wrote back to you prep mom? Well you know what I haven’t slept in a month since my diagnosis, so it doesn’t surprise me. I just wanted to say thank you for your encouragement and kind words, it’s very much appreciated. I am definitely on the same page as you, I'm tired of this C, I’m ready to deal with it and move past it. I wish you the all the best for the 4th, stay well and healthy, I will keep you in my thoughts.

You are a survivor

• prepmom
    edited November 2019
    Options

Calendergirl- I'm glad to know that maybe my experience and input has brought you just a bit of peace in your decision. Thank you for your good wishes for the 4th (only 48 hours, bye-bye TE's!!). If you'd like, let us know when you've scheduled. We are all in this together - you too will be a survivor!

• grayskies
    grayskies Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2019
    Options

My decision was easy. I had a tiny DCIS, with an MRI showing no other spots. When I mentioned to my BS that my breasts were the majority of my personality, she nodded and agreed that a lumpectomy was the way to go. (I have very large breasts, and I'm quite shy otherwise)

• Levron
    Levron Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2019
    Options

Before surgery I agreed to a lumpectomy & awoke from surgery to learn I had a partial mastectomy! When I questioned my surgeon he said when ANY part of breast tissue is removed then its considered "a partial mastectomy".