Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2016
    Logang - that's what I thought at first, or that he had simply forgotten. He was going to be out for surgery the following week and my appointment was at the end of the day, so I thought maybe he had put it off and then forgot to place the order. But turns out he actually had ordered the test a week before I met with him. I had an appointment then, but he was out sick and I had to reschedule. So I left a message asking him to go ahead and place the order so that I wouldn't have to wait so long. He now says he did order it, but it skipped his mind that he ordered it when I met with him. The whole thing sounds kind of fishy, but at least now they seem to be back on track.

I hope your chemo goes well and that the side effects are tolerable.
  • Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited March 2016

grandma3x, that is simply awful!

• grandma3X
    edited March 2016

got my blood work back - I had asked them to check my Vit D levels and they were low, so my PCP is putting me on 2000 units a day. I had read that low Vit D can predispose people to having side effects (aching joints) when they are on AIs. I'll start taking the Vit D on Sunday when I return home from vacation and I'm scheduled to start AIs on the 15th (assuming I don't need chemo).

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2016

Ruth, I had to let a lot of things go when I had surgery the end of January. I plan to not pick them all back up...haha. I do want to stick with Fridays, but unfortunately my MO will be switching clinic days in April. I will probably end up going on Wednesdays and hoping for the best.

• grandma3X
    edited March 2016

I just got my Oncotype score - it's 10! I was really worried it might be in the intermediate range and I would have to make a decision. One question - The report only gave results for ER, PR, and HER2. I know they test expression levels for 16 genes- how do I get this other data?

• Molly50
    edited March 2016

All I got were the 3. Congratulations on the low score!

• Molly50
    edited March 2016

It's quiet here. Everyone Ok? Nisa, I am wondering how you are.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,586
    edited March 2016

I'm okay but I am just coming back from a case of pneumonia. Blah, it really knocked me out. A week flat on my back, a week of feeling really weak & horrible, another of starting to feel better, and finally this week I am back to normal. Hope everyone else has been staying healthy!

• logang
    edited March 2016

I went back to work full time on 3/7 (6 weeks post surgery) and started chemo on 3/11. Gearing up for round 2 tomorrow. Glad you are doing better Ruth! How are you Molly?

• cljaggers
    cljaggers Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016

I have only been diagnosed for 17 days and have not started chemo yet. I just had my port placed two days ago. My mother and grandmother were diagnosed also and although I supported them through their journey, I don't know how to sit on this side of the table. I'm overwhelmed to say the least. Reading all the posts helps.

• Skittlegirl
    Skittlegirl Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2016

I am also back at work full-time as of 3/9. Or as full-time as it gets with appointments for my kids, follow-ups with my surgeon, herceptin infusions, and my body deciding to pass a kidney stone. Radiation started on 3/14 and goes until the end of April (33 sessions).

• Molly50
    edited March 2016

Ruth, sorry you have been so ill. Logang and skittlegirl, congratulations on returning to work. Logang, how are you managing chemo? Cljaggers, welcome to BCO. I am sorry you have to be on this side instead of just caregiver. Are you getting genetic testing done? So you are doing new adjuvant chemo? You should consider joining the March chemo thread as well. Hugs! I am doing pretty well overall. I am still having some vertigo which I am pretty sure is the anastrozole.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited March 2016

Welcome Cljaggers!

Sorry you had to join us here but we're glad to see that you found our amazing community.

You may also like to check out and join the conversation and information in the links below:

Chemo 2016 Support Group

Important Information for newbies about Chemo

Sending warm wishes and healing prayers to you, your mom, and your grandmother.

We're here for you!

The Moderators.

• logang
    edited March 2016

Thank you Molly. Chemo is going okay. Today is my second round, so we shall see how it goes.

• grandma3X
    edited March 2016

I'm on week 2 of Letrozole and so far so good. Heading to Orlando with DH to soak up the sun for a few days. I've bern taking care of my aging father for the past week, trying to get him into assisted living near us in DE. They won't accept him until he has been checked by a local physician but I can't get an appointment with anyone for at least several weeks because he is a new patient. I finally got him registered with the VA and will try to get him in there when we return. My brother-in-law is taking care of him while we are gone. He is recently retired and my Dad loves spending time with him, so they should make out well.

Logang - good to hear you are doing well. I hope the chemo is not too rough and that you have the support you need at home.

• Molly50
    edited March 2016

Enjoy your trip grandma3x!

• logang
    edited March 2016

Thank you grandma. I have plenty of great support at home and work. Have a great time on your trip and soak up some sun for me! Good luck getting your father where he needs to be.

• grandma3X
    edited March 2016

Our walk today through the Oakland Nature Reserve.

Happy Easter everyone!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2016

Beautiful.

Here is something you might find interesting: North Dakota is on the North America flyway......birds stop by on their migrations because we have lots of open countryside, potholes etc. This picture was taken not far from my town. A flock of Canadian Geese (a mile long & at least a million strong) flying north for the summer.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2016
    T hanks for the gorgeous photos from ND and DEL, and Easter blessings to all.
  • Molly50
    edited March 2016

Beautiful photo, grandma. Ruth, what an amazing sight to see!! Happy Easter.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2016
    Beautiful photos, lots of updates, seems like everyone is doing well including the newbies. I'm checking in as I have been keeping my distance and experiencing a bit of "cancer-fatigue." My only sibling's advancing brain cancer is much on my mind. Friends in early stages are on my mind. One friend in advanced stage is on my mind. And my first thyroid biopsy didn't go well in that 7 out of 8 aspirations were deemed inadequate. Later came a core biopsy with somewhat inconclusive results. Nothing will be done for 6 months. Maybe I will do another opinion when I gather the necessary energy. For now enjoying a family getaway and thinking of my BC friends tonight. Sending hugs and wishes that newbies continue to recover. Soon I will be celebrating 3 years out, and it will be a happy dance all around ๐Ÿ‘ ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜‰
  • ruthbru
    edited April 2016

Enjoy your getaway, Nisa. Give yourself permission to think of only fun things for a few days.

The weather has had a setback here....brrrrrr....gold, windy, not springlike at all!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited April 2016

Nisa, looking forward to seeing that happy dance! :-) Ditto what Ruth said. We all need a break and time to appreciate that life can be fun sometimes...

I am sure Ruth would disagree with my characterization of the weather here as a setback: but instead of 78 and sunny the temps are in the fifties here (although it will hit 70 later), and it will be raining tonight. Not that we ever, ever, ever complain about rain.

Hope all have a good weekend as well!

Octogirl

• Molly50
    edited April 2016

I am enjoying cool, rainy weather for a change!! Nisa, big hugs and prayers for your sibling. I am so very sorry. My oldest sister died an early, tragic death at age 56. Sometimes life is just not fair. Enjoy your time.

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2016

hi guys. Hoping you are all doing well, it's been a long time since I've checked in. I've been pretty miserable and haven't wanted to bring people down so I haven't been posting or coming over. I'm at a point now where I'm not sure where to turn so I thought of my sisters. My tamoxifen has been doing a job on me with side effects- bad joint pain, bursitis, urinary track infections, yeast infections and with all that forget sex it feels like razor blades. I'm on vagifem for some estrogen and between that and cranberry pills the infections are fewer but the pain is still crazy bad. I can't sleep and I'm up a hundred times. Add all that to being in the ER for stress from work-I now have a new job I love-I've been miserable People think you have cancer, do surgery and radiation and your done No one tells you about all the added crap On top of it my siblings who I don't talk to since the cancer are having an 80th birthday party for my mom in July and want me to go Two of the three of them never talk to her and live nearby and I'm so not going to go and pretend they care about her We are having a party with her friends at my home

Needless to say I'm toast and just want to disappear from all the cra

• hipline
    hipline Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2016

Dear Mommado,

Hang in there, I know I have been in that mind set before too. I had wicked side effects from tamoxifen and wish I could say they will end. Now the femara has taken their place. Family can be testy for us and I am far from mine but find talking to them sometimes is not easy. They want to assume that since you aren't in a hospital all is well!

For me sometimes I just need to get it off my mind, have the cry, and then take a nap! Then a walk! You can cry on our shoulders anytime, we all need it.

A dear friend of mine who just passed away always said "Take it easy. But take it."

xo

• Molly50
    edited April 2016

Mommado, I am sorry for all you are dealing with! Have you considered trying to follow the IC Diet? Interstitial cystitis is basically inflammation of the bladder wall. Diet can make a huge difference and one of the biggest offenders is cranberry. I have struggled with bladder issues since my oopherectomy in 2011. After a while I was either dealing with urgency, dribbling or retention. I was in so much pain. I decided to eliminate from my diet all things acidic even coffee. IC Diet I have done much better since I removed all citrus, cranberry, spicy foods and black/green tea from my diet. I now drink low acid coffee but did not add that back in until my symptoms subsided. It may be worth a try. Sending hugs.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2016
    Mommado - Hang in there. The draining of our souls sometimes happens when we give too much of ourselves. And boy, we women are pros at that! Practice self-care, be a little selfish, and save your energy for your new job that you love. Early Happy Birthday to your Mom! Sending extra hugs.

Ruth - wise words, thank you. I did as you recommended. The trip was wonderful, even with a bit of rainy weather, we went on a whale-watching tour out of Santa Barbara area and algo did some of the classic Los Angeles tourist-trap visits. It was great to spend time with hubby, my sons, and a first-time trip with my son's girlfriend.

Octo - same weather in SD and still nice. Hope your health continues to improve. I still have to coordinate lunch with you, Molly and others in SoCal. It will happen!

Molly - I am sorry to hear about your sister. Siblings are part of our history that goes away when our parents do. I always wished I had a sister.

Still a bit gray in SD but now home and ready to face laundry and post-trip work ๐Ÿ˜Ž Wishing everyone a good week. Hugs to all, Nisa ๐Ÿ’•
  • hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2016

Nisa, I'm glad you got to get away with your family - it sounds as though it was much needed.

Mommado, Nisa's advice is completely spot on. It's hard to push back on the demands of everyday life (sometimes impossible) but if we don't find some way to fit in some self care as well it will catch up with us when we're least able to handle it - and least expect it. I'm sending some extra hugs for you to keep on hand and use as needed. :)