Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Extreme Hip Pain - can Stage II metastasize to hip?

Options

Comments

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited August 2013
    Options

Dogs... My friend, now 60, had knee replacement two years ago... She was in good shape beforehand and had a long, uneventful recovery. She knew it was only good for 15 years, but what choice did she have? She was in pain and couldn't stay in athletic shape. The longer she waited, the more out of shape she'd become and then the longer the recovery. Meanwhile, my sister needed a knee replacement years ago and used the 15 year warranty as an excuse to postpone doing it. At age 60 now, she finally agreed to do it, but is in such bad shape, the doctor won't do it until she builds up muscles in her legs so her recuperation will not be as difficult. The surgery is scheduled for November. I pray she does well. My advice.... see a few doctors and forget about the 15 year rule! The DH had cardiac bypass last year at age 59. He was told it should last 10 or 15 years.... who cares how long it lasts! Like he really had a choice to postpone it until he was older? Not! The surgeon told us that he hoped to see him again. We said THANKS BUT NO THANKS... He told us, you never know when we might need him again... There's always a valve replacement to look forward to or another bypass! Yeah... right!

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited August 2013
    Options

I think you are right. I am in good shape now, but if my knee keeps hurting I won't be able to continue jogging or even walking my dogs for very long.  I'm recovering from a sprained knee which included some meniscus tears, a fracture and a Baker's cyst. Once all this stuff heals I'll see how much pain I have from the bone-on-bone condition. Before the sprain I was having difficulty getting up from easy chairs, and I can't squat down at all - have to bend from the waist instead and have to walk down stairs sideways. I just thought it was arthritis due to old age. I guess the knee sprain was a wake up call

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2013
    Options

Referring to a comment on the previous page...YES, arthritis IS bone pain!!!! That's the whole point. Once you realize no muscles are involved you KNOW it's arthritis! There are 139 types of arthritis and I have a number of types. I am bone-on-bone on my knees and lower back with spinal stenosis (squeezing of my spinal canal and cutting off of nerves with bone growth). I am so bad that I am on Fentanyl patches and just coming off two years of long-term disability. I need to move - motion is lotion - but can't always comply!! Thank God I have a strong muscle core and was able to use a cane for a couple of years to keep moving somewhat. Now with the Fentanyl my body doesn't sense the pain and I just move. I cannot imagine the damage I'm doing to the bones as I crunch around!! Two spinal surgeons have refused to do surgery until my legs go numb which would show my nerves are dying off. The risk of crippling me right now to clear away the excess bone growth is just too risky. I was on 150 mgs of morphine a day for two years and recently graduated to the Fentanyl patch. Now that I can move I'm being sent back to work. You can see why I didn't want to add Tamox of an AI that could compromise my pain level with side effects!!! I still get break-through pain when I do something like walk around a mall or chores around the house. I have fast-acting morphine for those times.

• Kayce234
    Kayce234 Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2013
    Options

So we leave tomorrow on vacation for a week and we are supposed to go to the red Sox game with some friends tonight. Haven't seen the doctor yet and I'm concerned about having to d so much walking and then standing on the train and having my hip really hurt. Not sure what I should do...any advise...

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited August 2013
    Options

Dogs, I had one knee replaced last year and the other will be done early next year. The new ones can last 25 years plus so I was told. I'll be happy with that......lol.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2013
    Options

Kayce, consider icing your hip(s) or taking a Tylenol Arthritis pain med. If you reduce the pain even a bit, that would be a good thing, right?

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Chrissy B: Are you allowed to jog on the new knee? That is one of my concerns.

• J9W
    J9W Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2013
    Options

dogs,  about a year ago I was told to stop running, or to continue for a while longer and pick out a new knee. I stopped running although it was HARD to do. I miss hanging with my running buddies and I miss the running high. I loved putting on my sneakers after an annoying day and losing myself in a run.  I know where you are coming from. So, to give me something to do that wouldn't continue to hurt my knee, I took up roller skating. You should look into it. I'm hoping to qualify to play derby and I'm considering joining a local speed skating group.

By the way, while I was on tamox (only 11 months) my hips and bones were killing me. It took about a year for the pain to lessen, although it still shows up from time to time.

• Kayce234
    edited August 2013
    Options

Heading to the doctors tomorrow and feeling nervous. Nothing seems to help the pain accept codeine...feeling worried

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited August 2013
    Options

Kayce, I hope you get some answers - and that whatever it is, it's NOT cancer.

Leah

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Kaycee, it is possible you have a broken hip. I had to stop running in a half marathon race because of bad pain in my groin. Eleven days later I went to the orthopod and it was a broken hip. You don't always fall in order to break a hip. I didn't.  The doc was amazed that I had walked on it, but I thought it was a groin pull.

I had a hip pinning - they inserted 3 long pins.

Wishing you the best outcome at your visit!

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion!   I am still hoping I can get back to jogging, but if not I'll sure try roller skating.  I guess I'm not too old for that. Saw a lady, at least 80 or more, roller skating on the bike path. She had a big smile on her face so I guess the endorphins were kicking in!

• Kayce234
    edited August 2013
    Options

Dogs....I'm starting to think by the pain it could be broke although I have no idea how!

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Well, they say hips can break without anything obvious causing it.  In my case it may have been my osteoporosis? Or maybe the Fosomax I was on?

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Does Tamoxafin cause bone problems? I know the AIs do.

• voraciousreader
    edited August 2013
    Options

You don't necessarily have to have a trauma to break a bone. You can have a "stress fracture" of any bone and not be aware of it... until you are in pain. I know, because I have had stress fractures.

Furthermore, you could have micro tears of muscles and/ ligaments. I'm healing from several micro tears that became a tear in my hip. It gave me bursitis and sciatica in my hip and buttock. Off to PT again....hopefully, I will be able to get back to my normal sleep... one day. Pain at night wakes me and climbing steps is awful... Cortisone shot helped for a few weeks... anti-inflammatories did nothing. My orthopedist and I are on a first name basis.....

• Kayce234
    edited August 2013
    Options

So doctor thinks bursitis!!!!! Got a cortisone shot.....ooowwww!!! He said if not better we will do mri to rule out anything else. He did say he saw a calcium build up on the bone but would not go into any explanation...he's a close to the chest type. Anyone know if build up is a bad sign?

• voraciousreader
    edited August 2013
    Options

My x-ray showed calcium build up too! That's how he knows it's a tear that is healing. Calcium build up can potentially cause bone spurs that can potentially cause more tears. How do I know all of this? I had two shoulder surgeries because of tears and bone spurs and bursitis and so on.... Believe me, I know how painful it is. My doctor was angry at me for not seeing him earlier with the hip pain. Had I gone sooner, the inflammation could have been treated sooner and perhaps I wouldn't have had so much calcium build up. The body went into over drive trying to repair itself. My bad!

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Glad to hear it is not something more serious!  So the shot was painful? I'm thinking of getting one for my knee. Hm---

I wish doctors would be more specific. Why couldn't he tell you what caused the calcium build-up? Though I agree, it probably is due to a repair of some sort. Maybe you had a stress fracture?  I've had 6 and they are painful--

• dogsandjogs
    edited August 2013
    Options

Reader, what caused all your shoulder problems? Are you a tennis player?  I have had a lot of breaks because of running and jogging (coupled with my osteoporosis)

• chrissyb
    edited August 2013
    Options

Kayce glad your doc doesn't think mets.....yay! Yes those cortisone I me tigons can really hurt but the good thing is, if they work its all good.

Dogs I just sent you a PM.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is indeed bursitis.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Kayce234
    edited August 2013
    Options

I won't lie cortisone shots suck!!! That jam them into the joint and its not fun....but they usually work and for a long period of time so they are worth it. I'm praying this one is!

• Kayce234
    edited November 2013
    Options

Going for an MRI on the 9th as the hip pain hasn't gotten any better - still hoping for Bursitis...

• chrissyb
    edited November 2013
    Options

Kayce you are still having problems? Oh my.......I did so hope that the cortisone would do it's thing for you. Good luck with the MRI on the 9th I'll be thinking of you.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Kayce234
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks Chrissy - the shot worked for a little bit but the pain never really went away so dr said he'd do an MRI if it didn't work - I've been putting it off hoping it would go away but I think it's time to rule out things...

• chrissyb
    edited November 2013
    Options

Kayce it's best to know rather than letting your imagination run free.........it is still possible that it is something totally benign. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• blinthedesert
    blinthedesert Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2013
    Options

Kayce, I am a runner and have a lot running related back/hip problems over the years. Sometimes, if pain is muscle related it can be from hamstrings or lower back and manifest in hip pain. I see an ART (www.activerelease.com) therapist ... It hurts, I won't lie, but it works :-), have you ever seen a foam roller? http://www.foam-roller.com, again, sort of painful but can work wonders!

I was diagnosed with seronegative autoimmune arthritis (similar to rheumatoid arthritis) a few months ago, and that diagnosis has really changed my life, not only because the meds are a challenge, but whooee the pain is/was intense. In the process of that diagnosis they found a large lesion on my pelvis ... Because I only had DCIS it is unlikely mets, but they do have me on very close scan follow-up now because it is larger than typical benign lesions ... I did not want to even discuss bone biopsy or radionuclotide scan until after we did the first 3 month follow-up scan which is coming up. Even knowing it is low prob of mets, just seeing it as a "rule out" on the xray report is chilling.

• voraciousreader
    edited November 2013
    Options

I have a foam roller and I swear by it! Active release works too! I have the roller with the ripples and metal cylinder. Amazing for my hip and lower back pain.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hey, BL, nice to see you again! You'll be in my prayers that the pelvis thing is just an "incidentaloma," which is what my radiology-resident son calls something that's found accidentally on an imaging study and turns out to be no big deal.

That big radiation burn on my back turned into a deep scar that is stuck down to the deeper layers and affects my shoulder range of motion, so my plastic surgeon is excising it next week. I still remember your kindness when we were all on our radioactive joy ride last summer. Happy Thanksgiving!

• blinthedesert
    blinthedesert Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hello SB, I think of you (and your sister) often. Sorry I haven't been in touch. My ART therapist did wonders in releasing my scar tissue -- it was so bad right after rads that I thought for sure my lungs were damaged (I couldn't take a deep breath). Since then I have run 2 amazingly fast races (one was a huge PR for me!) -- I am SO very lucky! You need to come here and let "my guy" work on your back (and ride your bike in the beautiful desert here, well, and see me :)). After you recover from the excision, of course. So sorry to hear about that SE ... ick.

Yes, I am absolutely sure that my lesion is a congenital thing (the only other possibility from the size and how it looks) -- they just want to be "careful" I suppose. I am primarily just not happy about the addition of yet another date to keep track of in my seemingly endless supply of follow-ups - all while I am increasingly unable to remember what I walked into a room for -- ha ha :). Maybe I can get a copy of the x-rays - your son may like them, apparently the radiologist thought that benign thing this large would be rare, maybe they will use my x-ray for class? I will be famous :). My autoimmune thing came on right after my marathon (an awesome race for me!) - which was a year after finishing radiation - maybe I asked a little too much from my old body that year :). How is the cycling?? I miss you, and our group, but not the radiation.