Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    edited April 2016

well it's 4 days from new treatment, I can barely move, my fingers are so numb I have a hard time holding anything or buttoning my pants. Had to come to work have to get paid Ltd was denied, have to hold out til June when disability starts. I feel just awful! Called the Dr to tell him, maybe let the dose or find something else ugh. Not worth the 2 extra months a might get. Feeling like this, I know why people choose to stop treatments. Sometimes I think it would be best to vear over the yellow line, would be quicker. Ugh. I'm sorry, that's how I feel today. Hope u are all having a better day.

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited April 2016

(((Lvin)))

No words, just warm waves of comfort from California.

And a cloud angel to watch over you ~ love, Stephanie

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited April 2016

Livin - There's got to be something else for you. This treatment is messing up your quality of life. Hope you get some good options from your doctor and am praying for you hard. No need to apologize for your hopeless feelings but do stay out of the car. You've got good life to live.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited April 2016

Lvin,

Sorry you are struggling right now. Wish I had the right, magic words to help you get through this major bump in the road. I worry/wonder when I will, or if I will feel like enough is enough. Right now I am hoping 6 txs of Taxaterrible will give me some time, quality time. I want to do so much, and I am willing to weather the chemo storm to get there. 3 days from now I might be singing a different tune. I had chemo today.

Please continue to post. It was what got me through the nightmare of chemo in 2013. I leaned on the ladies in a thread. They gave me strength, teased me, accepted me when I was hurting, emotionally & physically.

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited April 2016

Livn and Holeinone,

I am so sorry both of you are going through rough chemos. We all felt like this at one time or another. There are no magic words , only words of comfort and less heartache.

Livn, vent all you want and anytime but like Kaayborg said if eribulin ( halaven) is interfering with your quality of life you should discuss this seriously with your onc. It appears to mostly hit your nerves and i believe he must be informed if interferes with your daily chores.

Holeinone , i have taken taxoterrible and Adrya , the lowest days were 8 days after infusion . I took neupogen after infusions to keep my WBC in line. This bummed me few days . Then i felt ok. My tasye was ultered weight gain and neuropathy. My onc prefered me to gain weight rather than lose so he told me to eat whatever felt tasty for me.

I wish both of you better days and good response. And to all the other ladies who are starting new treatment i wish you all good luck and no SEs.

Loving kindness to all !

• gramen
    gramen Member Posts: 116
    edited April 2016

Hi all, dropping by to say hi and send good wishes your way.

FINALLY had treatment today, not looking forward to SEs, but we are moving forward .

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2016

Living-I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Sending you hugs! Try to hang in and ask your MO what other treatments he might have for you that are easier.

Babs

• Jillianclaire
    Jillianclaire Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2016

hey holeinone! We are going to talk surgery after my 6th round of chemo. Then I imagine I'll have another pet scan. I've been told my onc is impatient and likes to know if stuff is working. Will it help if they take the breast tumor out? I know that sounds like a dumb question. I wish they'd remove the liver tumors but I bet that's not as easy. As anyone had their liver tumors removed

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited April 2016

Jillianclair/ I had a liver tumor removed surgically. You can do that or have an ablation procedure. I can go over them if you like

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    edited April 2016

ok sigh... I feel slightly better, I apologize for that dark post. I called Dr today he prescribed flexerall and a lidocaine patch? Um OK, if it works but I say let's talk dosage. I am not looking forward to weekend. That sh*t is strong after one treatment, mouth sores, Fi gets so numb,mouth so dry. Thanks again for being there sistas

• Holeinone
    edited April 2016

Lvn, I use both of these

imageimage

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited April 2016

LVin, glad you are feeling better. I took halaven from dec 2015 - March 2016. Didn't hit me that bad but no good results so on to another chemo. I can't imagine se's so awful with just one treatment. Must have been a pretty high dosage. Hope your onc will decrease the dosage to possibly make it more bearable for you. Feel so bad that you have to keep working until disability kicks in. Vent all you want!! Lots of listening ears and caring hearts here

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2016

seem to miss so much going on here with the time difference to Oz!

Livin, so sorry to hear how rough it's been for you. I had the choice this time of starting Xeloda or Eribulin so thinking could be a good thing I chose the X although not been feeling too good on that either. It's really been messing with my stomach, cramps and diarrhoea and so so tired. Have nearly done first two weeks so then I get a week off. Have become obsessed with lumps and bumps of my liver, sometimes it feels bigger, sometimes it doesn't, messing with my head more than anything, I just wish I could leave it alone!

Starting new treatments is the pits. Sending warm thoughts and positive vibes to all

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited April 2016

Isy- fatigue and gi issues area constant for me on xeloda. But after a few cycles you adjust to it. I don't remember what not feeling tired is like but I'll take that over the alternatives.

Hang in there

Livin- glad you spoke up.may you find a good balance soon. It sounds like your one is willing to work with you. Hang in ther

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 2016

Haha! Love the cartoon too! Good luck to you gals starting your chemo. May the SE's be few...Have a good break GatorGal!

• FactoryGirlYogi84
    FactoryGirlYogi84 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2016

My mom just had her first bout with ascites last week. They drained 4 liters from her. The liver mets are the cause of it. I'm not sure how big any of her mets are (she kept me out of the loop on a lot of this until 2 weeks ago) but right now she is still having trouble eating and drinking.

She hasn't ate much in the last few week or drank much of anything. Maybe less than a teaspoon of food in a day and probably less than 16oz of water/Gatorade in a day. Because she is having trouble keeping food and liquid down, she isn't taking her xeloda. Does anyone have any tips to help her get the nutrition she needs?

This topic has been a great help. It gives me hope that my mom could get better

• Holeinone
    edited May 2016

Factory girl,

I am sure you have heard of Ensure, and products like that. Many different ones on the market. I put protein powder in my smoothies & milk shakes. This is my 2nd go around with chemo. I tend to lose weight quickly. Hard to feel hungry when you feel horrible. I have to force myself to eat. Keep offering a variety of foods, small plates, fruit, cheese, whatever veggies she likes. My staple is avacado.

• FactoryGirlYogi84
    edited May 2016

holeinone

Thank you. I'm going to try that today. She is going to try going back to work today and I'm packing her lunch (well snack bag since she is only cleared for short shifts).

I have protein powder for smoothies. I'm going to try and get her to drink a little. She thinks my green smoothies look weird but peaches have been her go-to fruit this week. I'm gonna try to blend some fruit, protein powder, and coconut water this morning and see if she will try it.

Avacado is a good idea. I just need to learn how to pick them better lo

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited May 2016

Good morning, dear yogini, you can ignore most of my recent post at your thread...because your mother is out of hospital now and going back to work.

Holy smokes, how amazing is that!

I too have appetite and weight loss and struggle to find foods that taste good and are nutrient dense. As the liver changes, it can be difficult to digest fats and protein. Also, it and the ascites can compress the stomach, making large meals impossible.

Smoothies are difficult for me, because there's too much bulk for my tiny tummy. Better for me are healthy meats, eggs, vegetables and some grains and beans. I don't seem to like sweets, but love flavors like sour and salty.

It will be interesting to see what your mother enjoys and can eat. And how you can help her keep up her strength.

It sounds like you live nearby and are connected, but that she's only recently opened up to you about the seriousness of her cancer situation. You're doing great in learning quickly and supporting your mom in ways that feel good to both of you. What a blessing you are!

Yogini, may I suggest balance poses now? And maybe a few warrior poses to keep you focused on both caring for yourself and for your mother too. And remember to relax in Savasana. :)

Sending much love, Stephanie

• MaryK87
    MaryK87 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2016

hi all!

been away from boards for quite some time...coping with severe tiredness and weakness from chemo. I missed you all. well, today, I received the good news that I was waiting for past 3 months, had my first scan after stage 4 diagnosis few days ago and got the result today, the multiple lesions in both my lungs and liver are shrinking in size and number. it is after 4 cycles of carbotaxol. my onco said results are not "marvelous" but not bad either. after dreading progression due to the pain and tiredness I have, this news came to me as the most pleasant thing to hear. but my onco's decision has made me nervous. I have responded to chemo, ok, not complete but a partial response, but she has switched treatment plan from carbo./taxol to carbo/gemzar. I told her that I have severe body aches from taxol but not that severe to stop treatment but she said quality of life should be good so lets move to plan B which is carbo/gemzar. do you ladies believe she has made a good decision? taking into consideration the fact that i am responding to my current chemo plan.

yogi84, i hope and pray your mom recover soon and enjoy every food. i don't want to see my mother and every mother in the world suffer like this.

• kaayborg
    edited May 2016

MaryK! I am so glad to see your post. I had been wondering about you this weekend and planned to pm to check in on you. And I am so VERY VERY glad to hear that the results of your scans are so good. I am wondering how your onc did not find them marvelous. Isn't shrinking always marvelous? It's marvelous to me, anyway. I think the decision to switch chemo is totally up to you in this case. Only you can judge if your quality of life was reduced enough to warrant the switch. I assume you would have the option to go back to taxol if you wanted later since it isn't resistance that caused the switch. More experienced ladies, please correct if I'm wrong.

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited May 2016

lollll Kaayborg no you are not wrong , she can always can go back on taxol alone. I hope you both keep getting shrinking news. :)

• FactoryGirlYogi84
    edited May 2016

longtermsurvivor

It is all good, my friend. I was in a pretty dark and stressed out place this weekend. Sleep deprivation, back pain, and PMS mixed with anxiety make for a messy situation from time to time. Your advise did not make me feel like she was going to die (but if I can't get her eating/drinking to rebuild her strength her situation will get worse).

My mom is in more of a doom and gloom mindset, but her oncologist is to blame there. He is a very intelligent man, but his bedside manner is terrible. For example, a family friend went to see him. She did most of her treatment about an hour away in the city, but in the winter, her city Drs arranged for her to go to the same oncologist my mom sees. (They are affiliated.)

After she was found NED at the cancer center in the city, she has a follow up with my mom's oncologist (since he did a few months of treatment with him) and he told her she had spots on her lung and would die. She was devasted. After a second opinion, her spots were congestion from asthma.

My mom has told me that this oncologist sometimes leaves her feeling like he isn't listening to her concerns and feelings. I just can't stand for that. She and I are very close. I split my time between her house and my boyfriend's. She has my brother at home but he doesn't help with much (a mixture of autism, obesity, and pure laziness).

Mom went to work today for 3.5 hours but it took its toll on her. I talked to her dr today and he thinks the ascites could be coming back. Plus she is showing more signs of jaundice. He is also concerned with her not eating/drinking and is probably going to send her back to the hospital for IV fluids. We go back to see him in the am.

• FactoryGirlYogi84
    edited May 2016
    And thank you for the asana ideas tonight. I could use a few after my day at work and weekend full of worry. Namaste

MaryK,
    Thank you for the positive thoughts. I wish you the best of luck on your journey with this.
  • babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited May 2016

MaryK. That's such wonderful news!!! Time to do your happy dance😀😀😀

Babs

• ellamilana
    ellamilana Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2016

Factory girl,

I am having appetite problem as well, what I used to like-cant even to look at, what I don't like - I still don't like ugh :-). I am on a very unusual protocol (Ibrance, Femara, Avastin and Opdivo). Today my daughter made me an avocado, almond milk and a bit of brown sugar (optional) smoothie. It tastes delicious, like a very good ice cream, can't even begin on nutritional benefits. I really hope your mom would like it. And may I tell you, it's already good when its coming from a loving hand, like yours. Thank you for being such a good daughter.

Good luck!

• MaryK87
    MaryK87 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2016

cyber hugs to all

kaayborg! I was thinking of you when my onco told me about gemzar as the next option and felt relieved immediately thinking that you have been taking this drug for the last 9 months with good results. But my confusion about switching treatment is now resolved (thanks to woody ❤). We are in the same boat with TN and early relapse (mine came back exactly after 2 years). So i hope and pray we keep sharing good news with each other for many years to come.

thanks babs! My happy dance (which i actually did) made me take 2 painkiller afterwards but i managed to shake that poor booty 😁

i have another question for experienced ladies, my first BC was node negative stage 2a but it recurred and spread to my lungs and liver. My question is both times i had not any of my nodes swollen or positive for cancer. Not a single one. Everything is normal in size shape and texture. Bloodwork prefect except for those lesions in my lungs and liver. I wonder how could it be metastasized without any swollen positive nodes? My breast looks fine as well.

• kaayborg
    edited May 2016

Wonderful MaryK! I am the same as you on this one with perfect blood work and zip zero on lymph node involvement (stage 1a, no less, one A). Cancer can spread through the lymphatic system or the circulatory system. For you and me it looks like it took the blood pathway, which is often undetected in blood work at the initial diagnosis but shows up eventually, as with me in elevated liver enzymes a year later. Crafty Bitch! I'm with the rest of you who commented a while ago about the swearing. Having not done so much previously, I can't resist the satisfaction of cancer swearing. Ha, take that! As it it cares but I don't care if it cares or not. I'm gonna say it anyway.

As for me, my friends Gem and Carbo continue to kill my platelets. I passed for treatment today but I say I've got at best a 50/50 chance on scraping by next week. Lately they've been plummeting between Day 1 and Day 8 but historically there have been a few times when the go up instead so here's hoping for the reemergence of that trend.

• Holeinone
    edited May 2016

Factory girl, I am impressed you mom is still working...

Kaayborg & Mary, if I had seen your bio, ( before ) no nodal involvement, I would thought Ah, one of the lucky ones. My stage 3 dx with the axillary nodes being 2-3 times larger than the breast tumor. Bursting with Cancer & growing on the outside. I was warned, not a good sign. Also excatly 2 years after last rad tx. I did take Arimidex.

IPAD acting up BBL

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited May 2016

Ellamilana, how did you get on Avastin and Optdivo? Are you in a clinical trial?