How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited May 2018

LisaJo - Any intervention where they break the skin has risks of inflection. There is also some risk of internal bleeding if they have bad luck in where they touch the liver. And then, of course, any time you walk into a hospital, there are risks. Infection, they will do the wrong thing, etc. However, I have had three biopsies of the liver. They have their uncomfortable moments but mostly they are kinda non-events given how much the idea worries me. I've had no complications.

The anesthesia poke and the IV, when I did not have a port, were no fun. The incident that drove me to get a port was a botched IV stick during my third liver biopsy. I looked over and there was blood all over my arm. I am not an easy stick, but really guys. I don't need this. I live in NM and you take what you can get at our small town interventional radiology office as far RN's go.

At the Cleveland Clinic you have access to an altogether different standard of care. I am not going to tell you not to worry. Someone is going to stick a needle into your liver and take tissue. This is not normal and idea of it should worry a sane person. But, in fact, complications are extremely unlikely and you will most likely look back on the procedure as much much less unpleasant than getting a cavity filled.

My one piece of advice is to ask them to take more tissue than they need and store it for you. If they say they need 4 cores, ask them to take 8 cores. The tissue can come in handy in the future when they are considering treatment options and once you are on the table and anesthetized, it hardly matters how many they take.

All - Thank you all for thinking of me. So much not knowing with cancer. Not my cup of tea at all.

>Z<

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited May 2018

z- rest up.

Pm me if you have questions on gamma knife. Cyber knife is very similar. The brain mets thread is great.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited May 2018

Z, I’m following along here. So much to think about with the diagnostics you’ve had. Wish there was more direction on the brain spot and also your her2 status. Sending hug

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited May 2018

Z—sorry to read about your predicament of doctors not knowing after all the tests taken, what exactly you're dealing with.

Like you've assessed, the lesion needs to be dealt with no matter it's nature, but a short respite and regrouping before you embark on the next phase is a great idea.

Try your best to relax and to fortify yourself with good nutrition, feed your adrenals most of all. But be wary of adrenal supplements, the really effective one's unfortunately turn into estrogens. Instead, reinforce your brain capacity and your stress response with cholesterol rich foods—like organic poached eggs—served with a dash of sea salt, and foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, like wild salmon, and chia seeds. Stay away from stimulants, they further drain the adrenals.

Ill be thinking about you,and praying for a prompt and successful outcome.

Im still fighting high blood pressure, I was stupid enough to eat at a Chinese restaurant with friends, and to eat the leftovers the next day, provoking a relapse.

I'm still greatly fatigued. But since my brain is out of the fog, I am starting to slowly remember what I should do to support my body nutritionally.

After 12 hours of rest, this morning I woke up without the tension in my neck and shoulders and those horrible headaches....will go measure my BP soon to see what's happening....

• Celebrate_Life
    Celebrate_Life Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2018

Z, you are in my thoughts and prayers as you struggle with the decision of what to do regarding the new found spot in your brain.

LisaJo, my liver biopsy was pretty non eventful. The hardest part was being still and horizontal for 6 hours afterwards. I am not a fan of bedpans.... but I made it through it.

Miaomix, I hope you bp comes down and is more manageable. Headaches are no fun.

Many times I just read the posts. Know that you ladies are often in my thoughts and prayers.

Therese

• lisajo6
    lisajo6 Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2018

Thanks. The Cleveland Clinic said I had to lie still for 2 hours. Then I would be released.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited May 2018

Interesting how liver biopsy experiences vary based on the hospital. I wasn't required to lay flat at all afterward and left soon after I woke up. I asked for local anesthesia only and was told no, I needed to take the twilight IV sedation. I was out the whole time and wasn't required to periodically stay still and hold my breathe during the procedure. Maybe it was the location and volume of my tumors?? They had many lesions to chose from in my liver.

• leftfootforward
    edited May 2018

remembering all we’ve lost and their families during this mother’s day.

Lots of love to everyone.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited May 2018

My SIL cousin lost her battle with BC on Thursday night. She was just 33 years old. Her BC was discovered right after the birth of her daughter who is now 6 I really hate this disease! Sooo very sad

Babs

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited May 2018

Babs, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your SIL' cousin to this horrible disease. It is terribly sad. I wish a cure would come soon. This has to end.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited May 2018

Z, if you can work the scheduling out, I think you're wise to head home for brief respite and recharge. When so many things come bearing down all at once, it's like a runaway freight train snatches you up with barely time to wave a white hankie in the air, much less make split-second-life-or-death decisions. You deserve to draw a deep breath.

My oldest childhood friend just had the gamma knife procedure to remove two brain tumors a week ago. She had a bad headache the first day and balance issues, so they kept her a couple of days for rehab. After a few days back home, she regained her balance and was able to put the walker away.

Lisajo, my liver needle biopsy was no problem at all. I had twilight sleep plus a local and felt nothing, in fact I fell asleep just as they were inserting the needle. Because it is a major organ, they kept me for three hours after the procedure to monitor for bleeding etc. and towards the end of the time, I got a snack. I am always happy to get a snack. My husband was with me up to the time of the procedure itself - which took about 40 minutes - and afterwards in recovery. I had no problems, and I'll bet you won't, either. Tell them your concerns and good luck!

• zarovka
    edited May 2018

Babs - That hits very close to home. My thoughts are with you and your family.

>Z<

• leftfootforward
    edited May 2018

Babs- as Z says , that hit way too close to home. My youngest is 7 but was 3 months old when I was diagnosed. I’m sorry for your loss.your family is in my thoughts.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited May 2018

Babs, it is so sad to hear about your SIL cousin. Just 33 with a young child. Heart breaking.

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited May 2018

Babs— so sorry about the loss of your young SI. I hate this disease too.

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    edited May 2018

Babs I am very sorry for your loss.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited May 2018

Sounds like liver biopsy experiences are a little different with everyone.  I have only had one, after we saw the liver mass on the CT, to confirm breast cancer mets. Mine was done in the IR dept of my local hospital.   I don't like meds so I told them I wanted to try it without anything.   About half way thru I gave in and they gave me Versed/Fentanyl combo ( twilight sedation ).  I was then required to stay for 3 hours to clear my head, watch my vital signs, and monitor for bleeding. I ate a lite snack and then went home.  

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited May 2018

Babs yes it's devastating. Hugs and more hugs.

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited May 2018

Z it's like an avalanche, really! Yes, you need a break and lots of hugs. Aside from the horrible mask they have to put you on (really awful thing), in itself the gamma was a Godsend for Dani (for that particular tumor), and many people benefited. Would you go back to Mayo to have it done?

lisaj good luck on your test.

• AnimalCrackers
    AnimalCrackers Member Posts: 542
    edited May 2018

Babs, so sorry for your loss. So young - so unfair.

• zarovka
    edited May 2018

Yeah. I'll head back to Mayo for SBRT of some kind to brain. Just need to find the energy.

>Z<

• letmywifelive
    letmywifelive Member Posts: 303
    edited May 2018

Hello my BCO sisters -

I have not been posting for a while now. I have been thinking for the last couple of weeks about updating you all about how life has been treating me and my family recently but did not want to add to the sadness and hardship some of you have been going through.

My wife Ranjita lost her battle with breast cancer earlier this April. Her disease was progressing in her liver and peritonial, but we were hoping that a different combination of chemo will help us bring her disease under control once again. Unfortunately she was diagnosed with widespread diffused leptomeningeal metastasis in March and there was nothing much that could be done from that point onwards. We tried a chemo but she was too week to take any more treatment. Her condition started to deteriorate rapidly and she passed away during first week of April.

She left me with our beautiful 11yo daughter. Together we now start a new chapter in our life. My daughter today wrote a card for her mom on Mothers' day.

I wish you all the best. I hope and pray for all of you all the time. But I am afraid thoughts and prayers won't be enough for some. I am hopeful though that medicine is progressing rapidly and I think that day is not far when "Cancer will be known to our children only as a a constellation of stars in the night sky" (taken from a quote made by one former US president).

I plan to stay engaged in this forum.

• leftfootforward
    edited May 2018

letmywifelive- thank you for sharing. I am holding you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. Once again this disease has taken someone too soon. Know that you are loved here on this site and are apart of our bigger family.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited May 2018

Let my wife live

Thank you for your update. Your wife like so many others was taken way too soon. I really hate bc and pray for a cure. I lost my 42 yo Mom in 1969 to this terrible disease. I had hoped by now no one else would have to lose their young moms too. We need to get a cute and soon. My prayers for your daughter. I know the ache she feels. Please know that you are always a part of our family here

Babs

• zarovka
    edited May 2018

LetMyWifeLive -

I don't ever know what to say when we take these loses. The only bright spot I can find is that you have your daughter and she is strong enough to write her Mom a letter on Mother's Day. That is one strong soul, just like yourself. Renjita wants you both well and happy, that I can assure you. I know you will get there, in pieces, with time. Your terrible loss, of course, will always be there.

I am so happy that you will stay with us and continue to share your experience. This will help us all tremendously.

>Z<

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited May 2018

letmywife-thinking of you and your daughter as you attempt to cope with this unfathomable loss. It must be so very overwhelming.

Gentle hugs-MJH

• AnimalCrackers
    AnimalCrackers Member Posts: 542
    edited May 2018

LetMyWifeLive - I remember the first time I saw your username. I was immediately touched by the plea. I’m so sorry you lost Renjita. There are never the right words to say. Sending you and your daughter love and support as you navigate through the grief ahead and may everyday get a little easier

• Vilma65
    Vilma65 Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2018

Letmywifelive, I'm so sorry for yours and your daughter's loss, I can't imagine how it feels to lose her mom at such a young age. Take care you yourselves

• daywalker
    daywalker Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2018

Letmywifelive, I am so sorry and sad for your the loss of your dear wife... There are no words. Thank you so much for contributing to this site and the journey we all face.. God bless you and your precious daughter xx

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited May 2018

Letmywifelive, I remember reading your earlier posts. I was jealous that your wife had such a strong support in her husband. You contacted us, we shared info, learned how to take each day with each new treatment. You were her voice.

My husband cannot even attend my med onc appts. He lives in denial to cope with our future. I wish he had your strength. Your wife, pretty certain she is like the rest of us, fighting like hell to be with her family.

Please keep connected. I think she would have liked that..