Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• ellamilana
    ellamilana Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2015

it all sound like Mideraeanian diet. My doc is very big on this.

Went to see liver oncologist today, but something went wrong at the surgery and he had to cancel all his patients today. Oh well anxiety more anxiety ... Xanax to the rescue ... Have anybody tryed mothers worm?

• springwatch
    springwatch Member Posts: 243
    edited February 2015

I love green vegetables like kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts and spinach and eat them almost daily. I think all of these are good sources of iron. I also eat lentils and chick peas fairly regularly so I am confident that there is enough iron in my diet without the liver. I don't eat soya beans which I think are very high in iron, too. For me they are the vegetable equivalent of cardboard. I will eat tofu as long as it is well seasoned and prepared.

Ellamilana, I have never heard of mothers worm and had to google it. The search engine wasn't much help. It came up with a fishing lure called, mother's worm and a quack medication called mother's worm syrup. The latter was sold as a children's worming syrup but made all sorts of other claims as a purgative, a cure for feverishness and restlessnesss. It doesn't seem to have been on the open market since about 1906. If someone is making this still and selling it under the counter, I would be very careful about taking it.

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2015

drinking my stuff for ct scan

• springwatch
    edited February 2015

Kjones13

Prayers for a clear scan! When do you get your results?

• ellamilana
    ellamilana Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2015

Springwatch, thank you for searching, i made a typo, its Mother's wort, not worm. Its homeopathic remedy for anxiety, seems to help

Kjones, praying for you, only good things happenning today

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited February 2015

Ladies, the liver is not for liver health it is for low RBC , artichokes are the best for cleansing the liver speically if you boil the, and drink the water , as well as drinking a bottle of water 1/2 a littter as soon as u wake up. Also a cup of luke warm water with a dash if lemin fasting before food in the morning. A lot of citrus while on chemo is not advised because it may effect the efficiency of chemotherapy. However pomergranade juice freshly squeezed is very good.

• Woodylb
    edited February 2015

Kjones, wishing you good results .

• Garlikbread
    Garlikbread Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2015

Hi Ladies,

I will post here and start a new thread because I need all the help I can get. I was diagnosed bone mets 12/2013 and in nov/2014 I had my first progression to liver and dr took me off tamoxifen and put me on Femara and a shot to shut down ovaries. I had liver ablation 12/2014. I had my scans this past Wednesday and today my Onc told me there is more progression in liver, 3 new spots showed up and she is suggesting we ditch hormonals and go back on chemo and start xeloda. As u can imagine my balloon of hope has deflated again. Is this the end for me? How many have been here and xeloda worked and got them to stable? The IR is suggesting a Y90 procedure?? I told my hubs first and then I told him that I'm turning to my peers on bco.

Margie

• Woodylb
    edited February 2015

Garlickbread,

I am sorry about your progression, it is very frustrating and disappointing when you believe you are starting to deal woth stage IV then suddenly you're crushed by another progression. But it is not the end. There are many options xeloda is one of them or traditional chemo. While xeloda worked very well for some people , it did not work for other , the same as chemo. It is enough that your doctors find the right combination for you. But do not think it is the end. Most of what you used till now are anti hormonal. Chemo works very well also in controling the disease and sometimes at dessimating it. I hope your doctor finds the right one. Focus on getting well and get ready to fight. Paryers and love.

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited February 2015

Margie - I've had two liver ablations and now one Y90 procedure (actually two - they do one lobe at a time). My oncologist and IR kind of work together to decide what's better at the time of progression - chemo or targeted treatments. I've had progression and regression (praise GOD) and my next scan is on 3/25 and we'll take it from there. It's good to have a medical team that communicates. I hope you know that you can have ablations and Y90's more than once. There's also chemoembolization and SBRT. You've got tons of options ahead of you. It's just hard being in that stage where your team is trying to figure out what to do next. Once you've all decided on a plan, you'll feel better. Prayers for you and yours.

- Penny

• springwatch
    edited February 2015

Garlick, I am sorry about the progression but if the hormonals are not working then it is time move onto chemo. I read somewhere and maybe someone reading this can jump in with more information, but I think that Y90 spheres and Xeloda work together synergistically. In other words, the Xeloda may make the cancer cells more sensitive to the radiation delivered by the spheres.

It's not the end for you, it just the start of a new chapter.

Ellamilana,Thank heavens it was just a typo. When I looked it up I was very concerned. I have never heard of motherwort but as long as you have run it past your team and it's helping you, go for it!

• freebird53
    freebird53 Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2015

Hello ladies...well question...does anyone have pain in lower right side of the adomen...my lower part of my adomomen down to my femurs...have been really painful during the nite and early morning...after pain meds taken..I'm find..

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited February 2015

Margie......I agree with the others, there are lots of options out there for treatment when anti hormonals stop working. Certainly understand the fear though! Adding more prayers that your doctors will find the right treatment to knock those spots back!

Kjones.....keeping you in my thoughts today for good scan results.

ellamilana....so sorry that your appt got canceled. After getting news of liver mets there is enough anxiety, you sure didn't need any more! Was this the appt to schedule the surgery? Hopefully they won't make you wait too long for another appt.

Woodylb...thanks for the reminder about the citrus! I wasn't thinking about that last night when I looked up the liver healthy food list. It was a general list and not specifically for cancer patients. I know that besides the chemo...so many of us are on other medications too and grapefruit especially can interfere with many of them.

I had a little scare today.....our temps have really dropped in the last few days and its freezing cold. We took the dog to get neutered yesterday and for about a week we have to take him out on his leash so he won't run and break his stitches. I was outside with him today and suddenly got short of breath..had to get inside quick and sit down. It didn't take too long to feel better but it scared me. I didn't get that way at all when we took him for that walk on Sunday when the temp was in the high 40s. I am so ready for spring and yet it sounds like we are going to be colder than normal for the rest of Feb!

• benjnate
    benjnate Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2015

Thanks Ladies for all of your suggestions about things to eat/drink for liver health. I jotted them down and put on my fridge to help me remember. But it really is a basic Mediterranean diet.

Kjones, best wishes for good scans. I hope you don't have to wait long for results - that's the worst.

Garlikbread, I will join the others in saying that it really is OK. I had progression from bone to liver 2012 and am still doing fine. I'm not going to lie - life was easier when it was just in the bones and I was on anti-hormonal meds. But now it is just a new norm and we go on with life.

Freebird, are you swollen in that area, or just tender? Or downright painful?

And now a quick question - today was the first day in 9 months of solid chemo that I was not able to get it due to my neutrophils being 1.8. I don't know why this is bothering me so much, but it really is. Have you ever skipped a treatment and everything was OK and your markers didn't go up like crazy? It seems like the major issues in my cancer life I gloss over and accept so readily, then the little things just set me off.

• Sarah0915
    Sarah0915 Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2015

Freebird, I was just diagnosed with liver mets in early January. What led me to the Dr. was severe right abdominal pain running to by back and up into my right shoulder. That lasted a couple of days then improved to just pain with a deep breath, sneeze, or cough. That improved greatly over the next few weeks. Then I had another attack that was similar to the first about 3 weeks later. My doc says the liver was swollen/inflamed. He can't explain why it comes and goes. Pain meds have worked well both times but it really wiped me out for a few days.

• freebird53
    freebird53 Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2015

Benjnate : it's mostly when I am sleeping...the pain is sharp and goes around my lower back.

Sarah: I wasn't given chemo (red demon) this last week due to my counts but was given my normal mthly Faslodex bone booster shot...forgot the name of it..so my se effects with the pain have been for a couple weeks...and so did my OC say that it's inflamed..I had rads alot in my right hip area...the sapped around that area so probably why I get the pain...but once i take my meds...i'm good during the day...

I bound out of chemo...last week too because I have a friend that is coming in from Oregon to visit...so i didn't want to be ill..I'll take the treatment again on Tuesday...

A another note...had a panic knock at my door last nite. it was my youngest daughter..i just had a feeling...her hubby got them a room for the nite downtown for a romantic dinner and drinking...so they could have a break from the kids...and it sure didn't turn out...i just felt it wasn't...they got into a fight where she was intoxicated and he wanted to leave and she wanted one more and that was it...he got in in car and she tried to stop him and ended up using her fists on the car window to get in she looked a mess...OMG...I can't leave this earth knowing that she has a issues with alcohol...she comes from 2 parents that were addicts...but have been clean for 20 yrs plus...but she told me so much about there relationship...it saddens me...especially telling her he will take the boys away...

She has known him since high school...a long history...they were to young to have children especially 2 so close in age...God bless those boys...it's not there faults...

She would not be able to survive without me here and not be with her hubby...he's the world to her...I am really scared what would she do if that relationship would end...

I never believed in Happy Valentines Day....I never had one...now it's going that way with my daughter...I don't want this for her...But what can I do....L&R Carla

• benjnate
    edited February 2015

Freebird - I have two thoughts on the pain: kidney issues since it radiates to the back? Or eating something greasy that the liver had a hard time processing which is why it could be acting up - just my thoughts. Hope you figure it out soon. Sorry about the family drama and hope it settles down soon, Maybe it's stress that is getting to you?

Jaytee - I get your weather a day or so later, and I find it so hard to breathe in general in these extreme temps. All day tomorrow is supposed to be below -0-, you're probably having that today. I'm staying in, that's just crazy, especially for folks like us! :(

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2015

got results back....still stable!!!! So that is two full years on herceptin, perjeta, tamoxifen, and Xgeva that has kept me stable! Praise God! Next scan is scheduled for September.

Thank you for all the prayers. I haven't read since my last post yesterday, so I need to catch up. Much love to you all!

One more thing...these last 4 months I have had the worst depression of my life. I was rock bottom. I read this thread and several others. You all held my hope for me until I was able to get back to a point where I could hold it for myself. That is what I love about bco. My sisters!

• cbrogdon
    cbrogdon Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2015

Garlikbread - I am so sorry to hear about your progression. There as a lot of options out there and I will be praying for you.

Ella - I agree with the others that the fact surgery on your liver is an option is very good news. I hope it will all go well.

Leah - I am happy you have a chemo break before starting Navelbine. I pray this therapy knocks the liver mets out for you.

Penny - I am so happy to hear your biosphere procedure is finished and pray your next scans will be clear.

Insurance question - I am still fighting my insurance company who only wants to cover chemo/radiation/surgery. How does one even go about fighting the insurance company for coverage for other effective treatment/procedures?

Prayers to you all.

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited February 2015

kjones....that is great, great news about your scans! Doing a happy dance and much praising the Lord for your good news. I'm glad that you are feeling better and more hopeful...been down that depression road a time or two myself.

Freebird.....I had more pain back when I was diagnosed with liver mets last May. Mostly on my upper right side, but I do remember some pain at night that seemed to radiate around to my back too. I had a few sleepless nights. My onc said that my liver was swollen. With treatment, it is no longer swollen and I haven't had the night time pain since then. Hope you will get some relief from the pain soon...Will be praying

Benjnate....did you start getting any snow this evening? We had a lot of wind today with blowing and drifting snow. I drove to a meeting in the morning and the roads were clear, but by noon when I left for home, there were periods of near white-out conditions! Was a nerve wracking drive home. Both my parents were born and raised in Pa.....they taught us how to drive in the snow! If that is heading your way, sounds like another day to just stay home! The snow should be done here, but it's going to be bitterly cold....think I am going to be staying in too!

cbrogdon....I think it would be the doctors who could make the best case for you to the insurance company. Back when I was first diagnosed our ins did not want to authorize a breast mri. My onc pled my case to them and they eventually approved it...it made the difference in my treatment as I was originally scheduled for a mastectomy first but the mri showed the tumor to be very close to the chest wall and it was changed at the last minute to chemo first. I hope that your ins situation gets settled soon so that you do not have to wait too long for the treatment to start.

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited February 2015

Kjones13 - THANKS BE TO GOD! :-) Penny

My next scan isn't until 3/25 :-)

• springwatch
    edited February 2015

Kjones13, Wonderful news on the stable scans!

freebird, The only time I had bad lower right abdominal pain I had appendicitis. It was misdiagnosed as period pain. The right ovary and appendix lie very close together. I also had it from a UTI but this was accompanied by a fever. A final thought, I had arthritis in my right hip. One of the symptoms was groin pain. It was worse after resting or sleeping. I hope you daughter is sorting out her problems. You have so much to deal with already without this additional stress.

On the subject of pain, does anyone have experience of pain in their ribs? I have pain in my back on the right hand side. My scans two weeks ago did not show any metastatic involvement in this area. My onc checked my lungs and they are clear. My lung mets are on the left not the right side. It's getting better but still uncomfortable. It is only relieved partially by pain killers and NSAIDs. All thoughts welcome.

• benjnate
    edited February 2015

Kjones - Congrats! That Herceptin is some amazing stuff. I hope it works for you for years and years. Hopefully you can take this time to sort out your depression issues and get back on track. Spring is coming and you live in a beautiful area, hang in there!

Jaytee - just crazy last night with the winds and I have a snow covered front porch that usually never gets snow. -2 right now, my dog keeps begging to go outside since it's so sunny, she thinks it's balmy out there. She lasts about 5 seconds and runs back in!

cbrogen - I often read of people trying to fight their insurance company, but my theory is this. Most of us don't know how to as it takes vast knowledge of procedures, coding, etc. They should have people at your facility doing this for you that are trained to get to the right person to plead your case. I am never told when my facility does have to fight for me, they just do it right away and sometimes it gets mentioned to me. Good Luck, I hope it gets worked out quickly.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday - off to read the paper.

• QueenOfHope
    QueenOfHope Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2015

Springwatch -- A few days ago you asked how much time had passed between my two liver biopsies. It was about 4 1/2 years. I had the first in Feb. 2010 the day after the doctor saw irregularities on a CT scan, and then the most recent was in Oct. 2014.

• sarahsusername
    sarahsusername Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2015

Hi there!

I am the voice of my mom on this website, she was diagnosed with mets to her bones and small spots near her liver in July '11. She was good on hormonal treatment until September of last year when they showed progression. Since then, the scans have shown more spots on her liver, more spots on her bone, bilateral pleural effusions and most recently this past week, a small pericardial effusion. She has been on Gemzar, no luck with that; then Taxotere, no luck there either & now on Taxol, although from the looks of things, it doesn't seem to be working.

Needless to say, it is all pretty discouraging. We are in the process of getting a second opinion for her at a prestigious cancer center in our city that also participates in clinical trial. The hit or miss of finding an effective treatment (hopefully there is one!) is frustrating.

Hoping on all hopes that we find a good treatment that will shrink these liver tumors and help these spots on her bones!

• springwatch
    edited February 2015

Sarah, I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having finding a chemo that works for your mother. I had good results with taxol for 6 months before it failed. Then had Xeloda which failed absolutely - did nothing and I had progression. I am now on gem/carbo which is working at the present time. Because we are all individual with our own unique cancer profile it is difficult to predict what will work and what will not. Cancer treatment is moving towards more personalised therapy with analysis of cancer genes but we are not there yet. I hope the taxol works but if not there are others that your mother's oncologist can try.

Thanks Queen of Hope for the feedback. My first biopsy after being diagnosed with mets was a year ago and I think my onc should re-biopsy again as my liver mets seem to be behaving very differently to my bone and lung mets. I think I will start a thread on this and see what other people have had done.

• Woodylb
    edited February 2015

KJones,

Congrats on stable ! Praying it will stay stable for a longtime and eventually disappear. :)

• Woodylb
    edited February 2015

Sarahsusername,

I am really sorry your mom's cancer seems not to be responding to some chemos, but there are other options , whoch i hope your mom's oncologist will find soon. Hoping for the right one for her. God bless.

• Woodylb
    edited February 2015

Springwatch,

When my cancer on my second dx showed some movement on the her2 front it showed equivocal results, a FISH was performed and came back negative. Then i took the same sample taken from my liver had another pathology done on it in a other center it showed that it was Her2+++ but again the FISH showed negative. Meanwhile, i had decided to do a genomic testing in Germany on my cancer, since it was behaving very aggressivelh for an ILC which is supposed to be indolant , the CISH test came back positive for HER2 . I was running out of options, they started me on HER2 targetted therapy plus taxol, whoch thanks be to God gave me after three cycles complete response. I am very grateful, and blessed but sometimes maybe it is worth to check if things seem abnormal.

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited February 2015

Ugh...had typed a bunch and DD called...sometimes I lose my posts, sometimes not...this time-gone :(

Kjones..soooo incredibly happy for still stable! I could feel the tension melt away!!! Now, to keep that feeling and run with it!

Garlik...I am sad that your scans showed progression. There is a "right" treatment, and as you know from being on the boards, loads of options...so have faith & stay strong! I detest the thought of hearing the P word, and being on h/p/femara, I feel so good, but there's that pesky feeling of wondering if it's enough. I want to be just like Kjones 2 years from being off the hard stuff...I'm almost at 4 months!

Sarah...I'm hoping they find the right regimen for your Mom! I was lucky that Navelbine worked on my liver right off the bat. You're amazing to be her support...and I hope a second opinion shows good options.

Ella...I've not heard of a liver oncologist. Let us know what you think of their expertise.

Can't believe it Spring!!!! I've had the exact same pain for about 4-5 days. Right side, lower rib in the back...a dull ache. If I rub it, it's much worse (so quit rubbing it, right?). I'm trying to attribute it to muscle strain, playing w/grandkids, tag at recess w/grandson's class, etc. but why is it on my liver side (insert sobbing voice). It doesn't hurt terribly bad.. just the dull ache. I'm not scheduled to see onc for 3 weeks but I'm thinking I may see my gp....or take an ibuprophen...which I rarely do. I hate giving cancer so much credit...maybe it's a muscle strain!

Leah...can't wait to hear all about your Grandaughter's prayer party!!!! These are things that make us thankful for life & hopeful for many more moments as these! I got to share our grandaughter's baptism experience with her religious ed class when I was in CA. Seeing hope & faith in childrens' eyes...priceless!!!

Chemo brain...was it benjnate that couldn't get chemo due to low neutrophils? I didn't have Navelbine if my count was 1. I would've had it at 1.8. Maybe it's different for each chemo but I was unsold to have 2 treatments about a month apart & I cried, but it didn't affect any of my counts. At that time, my onc added neulasta to each day 8 of my 15 day cycle and never had a problem after that. I understand how frightening it is, but now I can say...enjoy the break!

Freebird...you need a spa break...or a visit w/a girlfriend-woohoo for that!!! I would hope your daughter can get some help with her health/alcohol dependence, especially if she has a man who she loves & loves her back...and two precious kids! And I hope that help isn't just you!

Jaytee & benjnate...I'm just seeing your weather on tv and say enough already!!! Hope spring comes soon & you can warm up!

Jaytee...I've had a few bouts of the racing heartbeat...none in subzero weather, but are you staying hydrated? Seems it gives me trouble if I don't. Hopeful thinking...waters an easy fix!

XOXO