Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited July 2020

Thanks Dee...glad you have more options!

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited July 2020

Nicole, glad you have a new plan in place and hoping it works for you for a long time.

Dee, same for you. Here's to long-lasting treatment.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2020

Thank you bliss :)

• HopeandGratitude
    HopeandGratitude Member Posts: 520
    edited July 2020

Dee- if it comes to you having to switch MOs, would the MO you have now and love agree to be your “second opinion MO"? I loved my MO in PA but moved to NC. I still send him my PET scan, MRI reports etc and because of distance we have a telemedicine visit to review results and how I am doing. He offers me insight based on the patients he treats (many as he is at MD Anderson Cooper) and certainly does nothing to undermine my new MO or relationship with her. I told my new MO (who I really really like a lot) that I still have this relationship with him and asked her how she felt about it. She is ok with it, even said she appreciates “another look and other thoughts".....unless of course I continue to try to over ride her and then I am sure she would feel differently. And if I did that, it really means I need a different MO! Anyway, just a thought.

In time I realize I may cut my ties with him, but for now, having that second opinion has helped me deal with so much, and understand things even better

• ninaca
    ninaca Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2020

GREAT NEWS! PET scan just came NO CANCER FOUND! ... for now. Gone from my liver and other places after only 3 months on Xeloda (4 cycles).

About Gemzar, and Xeloda , it turns out they are in the same family- I found this from 2005. Of course there are more drugs since then but I found the info interesting.

Purpose: Gemcitabine and capecitabine are 2 anticancer drugs with a mechanism of action involving metabolism of pyrimidine nucleotides. Both are among the few agents active in patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) progressing after therapy with anthracyclines and taxanes.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited July 2020

ninaCA FANTASTIC news!

grannax- prayers for a good report on Friday’s mri

hopeandGrat- my MDACC doc is my primary decision maker right now but she is my second MO. I have my longtime MO in Alabama who is not as good of listener like my MDACC doc. I’m just taking it a day at a time with this dilemma.

Dee

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited July 2020

NinaCA - congratulations on NEAD! Sounds like you kicked its butt.

• HopeandGratitude
    edited July 2020

Nina! Fantastic! that is excellent news! congratulations Looks like you’ve been battling this for quite some time and it’s so awesome to hear the results of this pet scan. Celebrate every single day!

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2020

Nina,

Just PM'd you and then saw this -- terrific news! Looks like you found a winner in xeloda for sure.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2020

Nina so happy for you. I sure wish that would have happened to me with Xeloda

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2020

Nina- Congrats!!!!!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited July 2020

wow Nina, how awesome is that? Happy for you!

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited July 2020

Thanks Dee. Nina, that's amazing. Have you had genomic testing? Just curious. X and gemzar failed for me. I didn't know they were related. I have ESR1 and the actionable TX Faslodex is working for me right now. So, I wonder what mutation you might have that helped make X work for you.

MRI is today but I don't know when I will get results. 💞

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2020

Grannax,

Thinking good thoughts for you with your MRI. Hope you get your results quickly.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited July 2020

Grannax, Fingers crossed for your MRI. I like that you remind us of the option of Y90 with your own experience. I know some type of local treatment is ahead for me (and I’d think a lot of us here) eventually so at least I’m familiar with it as an option. My recent scan was good (no new activity) so it’s not time for me yet.

• ninaca
    ninaca Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2020

Hi Grannax2 - No mutations found in new genomic testing (old one was done in 2004-sooo old information!) except for the usual TP53 p.R273H ( I think many BC patients have this mutation but no treatment for it, yet). I think it's my good immune system that's helping me?? After re-reading my PET scan results, they did find some additional uptake in a pelvic node and a perirectal node which could mean cancer or inflammation. While Xeloda resolved my immediate tumor sites there could be still more out there. It could be Xeloda works better with Lobular BC which I now have? It's just wait and watch. Markers went down 17 more points (CA 15-3)!

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited July 2020

I’ve been reading and catching up. Still recooperating from my hospital stay.

Saw MO yesterday and here is the short story.

Anemia was due to delayed transfusion reaction. Yay! I received treatment and can go back in the new brain treatment I had just been placed on.

I was told I was medically fragile, would not get to NED but could remain stable and keep my cancer at bay so hopefully not a lot of new tumors. I will do kadcyla every 3 weeks and take tucatinib in a daily basis.

Unfortunately with all my treatment I have some liver values we have to watch ( just out of normal), have portal hypertension, and esophogeal varices . All minor st this point but all telling a story if 10 years of continuous treatment.

I’m feeling better but taking it really easy. Still processing.

Finding the bright spot is I get to resume treatment and hoping my anemia will resolve itself.

Thanks for the support my friends.

Holding you all in my prayers.

• HopeandGratitude
    edited July 2020

LFF- some clear answers and some good news. Take care of yourself...be kind. Then back to the battle even stronger. This ongoing battle takes its toll, but sounds like you have an amazing spirit! Sending you healing prayers and prayers for strength.

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

LFF, so glad to hear you are feeling better and able to resume treatment. My best wishes to you. Hugs.

• Grannax2
    edited July 2020

LFF. Good to hear your news. I can easily imagine how ten years of TX can take a toll on your body. But what warrior you are. Praying the anemia will get better. What is the new brain TX you'll be on?💞

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited July 2020

grannex- tucatinib or tukysa I believe. Had just been put in it when anemia hit so they took me off of it.

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

LFF - I'm also on Tucatinib, but with Xeloda. I haven't had problems so far and hope it treats you well going forward. Take it easy all you can.

• candy-678
    edited July 2020

Grannax- In your pocket for the MRI results.

• Grannax2
    edited July 2020

LFF Hope it works and that it doesn't affect your anemia.

Thanks, Candy. I'm hoping they will call on Monday.💞

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

Grannax, Fingers crossed for great news Monday.

Happy Sunday to all. I hope you are enjoying the day.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited July 2020

I am so sorry for intruding on a stage IV thread, but I need some information for a dear friend. She has a different type of cancer, a rare melanoma, that has metastasized to her liver. She has 3 lesions, the largest of which is 7cm. She us currently starting an immunotherapy drug, potentially on compassionate use.

I know many women with breast cancer metastases to the liver are able to do local treatments. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an Interventional Radiologist in the LA area, more specifically in the Kaiser system who she could contact to see if this would be appropriate for her. Please PM me if you do. Thank you.

Again, my apologies for intruding.

Trish

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited July 2020

My friends, as you know I am spending less time on BCO for a while, but am checking up on you regularly.

LFF, I am glad you are taking it easy. Wow, ten years of treatment. “Civilians” have no idea what that is like. Sending you love and support and wishes for healing and renewal.

Faripari, I am sending my condolences on the loss of your dear mother. I know you loved each other very much, and love never dies. Wishing you comfort.

• candy-678
    edited July 2020

Shetland- Glad you are living life. But come visit often. This weekend BCO was off line for a while. I missed it so. Scary, actually, how I have become attached to everyone here. I thought "What if I cannot get back online and see how everyone is doing".

• nicolerod
    edited July 2020

Ok friends...I need some opinions again. I am suppose to start Eruibilin this Thursday and get it again Next Thursday Aug 06. Last night I was laying in bed thinking...and this morning I sent this to my MO:

(don't mind the typos, the portal will only allow me a certain amount of characters to type to her so I have to improvise)

I wondered if you could revisit my chart, look back at when I failed Ibrance/Letr/Faslodex.We know my F1 report said Ibrance should work& it did. but bc of my mouth sores and LOW neutrophils, in one month I not only reduced down to 75mg, but stop the medication all together for almost a month.Its said that Ibrance doesn't kill cancer it puts it to "sleep" maybe between reducing down& go off it for a month is why my cancer woke back up? There was not a significant amount of growth.Isn't it possible if I would have stayed on it another 3months that it could have continued working? I really feel something in me that I need a CDK4/6 in this treatment. I just don't feel like jumping to another chemo is the answer can we discuss please?

Problem is her nurse just got back to me that she is out until August 06th but that she will forward the message to her IN CASE she decides to sign in. So if I don't talk to her before this Thursday, I don't know what to do...should I just wait and skip this week and possibly next week?

Nicole

• HopeandGratitude
    edited July 2020

Good luck with the MRI Grannax2!