Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

1673674675676677679»

Comments

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 256

@doodler , Xeloda has been very doable for me. Some skin issues and HFS, but I’m managing it well. Very few digestive issues. It’s working well for me.

• missmonty
    missmonty Member Posts: 71

Hi,

Just thought I’d give a quick update on my previous posts last month.

After two large liver tumours were discovered (through bloodwork) I immediately changed treatments, from Enhertu to weekly Taxol. I’ve only done 4 treatments so far, so a bit early to tell if the chemo is working, although my AST and ALT have been decreasing, which my oncologist feels is a good sign.

I had a biopsy done and the pathology of the new tumours is the same as my original breast cancer. ER+, PR-, Her2- (classified as Her2 low) I guess my previously “indolent” cancer has become more aggressive, which is a little scary.

Anyways, I’m getting used to the new treatment and the side effects. One side effect that is causing quite a bit of pain for me is pretty severe acid reflux. It’s taking me out for almost 2 days each cycle. I’m taking Pantoprazole. I have had a follow up ultrasound and CT Scan which did rule out anything more sinister causing the pain. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying September.

Anna

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480

@missmonty, acid reflux has been a frequently reported side effect from the taxane chemos like Taxol. Many of our members have reported finding relief from over-the-counter Pepcid or Prilosec. We recommend checking with your oncology team to ask if that would be a good option for you.

• missmonty

Thanks Moderators.

My oncology team is aware and do have me on the Pantoprazole to try to control things. I’ve just been so surprised that acid reflux could cause such severe pain. Anyways…hopefully we’ll come up with the right combination and dosage to manage things a bit better.

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 506

As a retired pharmacist, I wonder how much of the proton pump inhibitor pantoprazole you’re taking. If I were you, I’d ask for a referral to gastroenterology. You certainly don’t need acid scarring your esophagus!

I had paclitaxel=Taxol when a single dose of clinical trial Keytruda blew up my liver. Along with Gemzar, enzymes came down nicely but then I developed pneumonitis. That required another round of high dose steroids. Now I take Xeloda.

This week, MRI with Eovist contrast saw a single tumor which doubled from a half to one full centimeter. Other small lesions seemed to remain stable. My CA 15-3 was creeping up so a nuclear bone scan & chest CT are on order.

• missmonty

Hi vlnrph,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. My MO is pretty sure it’s the taxol causing the acid reflux, given the timing of the “attacks” (1-2 days after infusion) In addition to the panto (40mg) he’s prescribed sucralfate to take on days 1 and 2 post chemo. I hope this combination does the trick.

I hope you are doing well. I took Xeloda for a year and for me, it was fairly tolerable. I initially had a “mixed” response, but after that first CT Scan I remained stable for a year. Wishing you long term stability.

Anna