Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options

Comments

• yensmiles
    yensmiles Member Posts: 211
    edited August 2014
    Options

Amazon, you look lovely in the family picture. *hugs*, 2 weeks alone does sound long. Are you feeling better now? or still ups and downs? hope the MRI and ECG results will be out soon.. why does it take so long? do the hospital release it only after passing results back to your oncologist? I got my ECG instantly.. never did an MRI.. though the cardiologist had to explain the ECG after getting it..  

I get a bit emotional at times.. i dunno whether it's the chemotherapy..or anxiety over the future.. i notice i just cry more easily..i see an emotional picture or read something touching.. and empathise and tears roll down!!! also feel anxious now because it's Tues, and Thurs is my final chemo session. 

Love your energy and hearing the gym session Footballnut! :)

Hope everyone else is doing okay.. <3

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2014
    Options

Amazon, that's a beautiful family you have!!! Big hugs!!! Crying is good at times, it releases stress and it's a way for the body to get rid off toxins. I am sure you will bounce off soon! Try to keep yourself busy and perhaps see some of your friends or watch some cheesy movies on netflix.

Hope your test results come back soon and clear.

Ang, have you tried dates to help with tummy? Also, having two glasses of water as soon as you get up helps. You can add a bit of lemon juice and it will help as well or having a tablespoon of olive oil on an empty stomach. 

Yensmiles - yay for your last round of chemo. I have my second last chemo on thursday too. Good luck with the blood work.

I am only 33 and we were trying to get pregnant again, after a miscarriage in november 2013 - first pregnancy, when I found the lumps. I did a round of IVF in case I went in early menopause. Hoping that until 2016 there will be more studies to say that pregnancy doesn't increase the recurrence for hormone receptive cancer and for locally advanced cancer (since I am stage 3 grade 2) and that it doesn't recur!

I shaved my peach fuzz and I can say that I am totally bald now.

Btw I read that lavender and rosemary oil are a good way of de-stressing and do a number on free radical. After rads I am buying some essential oil and I need to reduce the level of stress (I think this is why I got BC, I stress so much over little things).

Have good day tomorrow!!!

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449
    edited August 2014
    Options

good morning all!

Today is round 3/6 taxol at 2 pm. Yesterday I had my bloodwork and triage. I explained how my side effects though not bad are increasing. Aches, pains in muscles and joints, increased fatigue, continued flirting with constipation although I am keeping things moving, some abdominal aches and tingly tongue. Oh yes, I Aldo hear up like a furnace most nights which wakes me up. Do all of these SEs sound familiar to anyone?

The nurse told me that the aches and fatigues will probably increase throughout treatment although she does not suspect that it will get as intense as it was with taxotere

Ugh!

I've slept fairly well the last few evenings but today it's back to steroids and Benadryl. That = sleep for 3 hours after infusion then be wired and tired all night!! Lol

I've been on short term disability since my surgery in March and this ends sept 17 so now it's time to submit paperwork for long term disability. Funny how the thought of returning to work stresses me right out.

I don't think I can handle my job until all treatment is completed. I remember all of the stress and pressure which I used to thrive in. Right now it's hard to get out of bed in the morning and stay focused on things. Being off allows me to do things at my own pace - stress free - and focus on me

I think back to when this started. I chatted with my onc and told him that I wanted to continue working. I'm glad that he explained to me why I shouldn't.

Lolis tx for the suggestion. My dad used to eat dates and figs!!  Lol. As for me no can do. But I do have bran buds and other fibre. I will start drinking more water especially in the morning as you've suggested. 

Have a great day!!

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

hmm..anyone has peach fuzz to show??? i don't quite know how it looks like Lolis, and i can't tell whether i'm having peach fuzz or leftover hair from when i simply cut whatever i can with a scissors on my own!!! yay! 33, hope the years to come post-chemo will be very fruitful/productive for you and have all the babies you'd like to add to your family! :)

Today i know i wasn't imagining that water was starting to taste funny when my tea tasted funny too.. :(  at first i thought it was because of anxiety over tomorrow's chemo and probably psychosomatic effect or even the steroids.. now come to think of it, it's probably because i ran out of zinc supplements for over a week!!  arghghghghg!!!!

Amazon, how's your day?

Footballnut, i only ached (back) during the first chemo session.. subsequently it's been okay.. and also having more energy from exercising at home. Glad you're having more time to yourself! :) the lack of focus could be "chemo brain" effect..

all the best to everyone! <3<3<3

• Amazonwarrior
    Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2014
    Options

I am off to my IVC #4 today. That makes me somehow nervous, because I tend to get lightheaded afterwards and since my hubby is out of town there is nobody to drive me there and back. I am taking the public transport there and thinking of taking a cab back. 

I have noticed that since my hubby and son left my hot flashes got a lot more intense. I guess anxiety and stress feeds into it. 

Even now, I am sitting in a coffee shop and literally dripping sweat. I didn't have       them like this before. Really weird stuff!

Ang: Thinking of you today and praying that your SE don't increase. 

As far as my SE while on Taxotere, they unfortunately intensified towards the end of the treatment.  

Yen: My peach fuzz started in the back and sides first, then came in a reverse male baldness pattern growing back in patches.

Yen, lolis: Yay for your LAST tomorrow!!!

BTW: I got my FIRST official hair cut today after 18 weeks PFC. Here is the pic.

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Ang any type of fiber will help. I have started to have celere today and yesterday as it is chemo day tomorrow. Last time I think I developed a bit of hemorroid (sorry tmi) myself.

Yensmiles - I usually type bottled water because the water has a smell, which I didn't buy today so will go and get some tomorrow. Can you try having kefir as I know that helps with the mouth thrush? Perhaps it could help with the taste buds. 

Re peach fuzz I didn't take a picture but it was new hair as my original hair was darker and shorter. Also some hair was a bit longer than the other and one could tell that it was growing. I shave it on monday and I can feel it growing and it is stublier!!!

Aww Amazon, sorry to hear about your hot flashes!!! Do breathing exercise help? Perhaps some rosemary oil will do the trick. 

That hair looks fabulous!!! I am planning to shave it off again at the end of the month if it has grown. 

Tomorrow is my second last. The last treatment is on August 28 :-) not too fair away. I gained only 2lb, glad it was only 2lb as I haven't stopped eating, mostly fruits and not enough veggies. So I am sure I will be able to fit in that dress. Yay!!!

My knees were hurting a bit tonight :( 

Ang - hope tomorrow is better!

Amazon - tomorrow is a day closer to being with your family again!!!

Yensmiles - hope the taste gets better soon.

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Oh a question- has anyone asked their oncologist about using cannabis oil to fight cancer

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449
    edited August 2014
    Options

good morning all!

Lolis I answered your question on another thread but will do so again just incase. :-). no drs at cvh will discuss marijuana but the nurses will. They suggest weed to manage pain. Yeh sure! I tried a bit when I went through the pain episode if taxotere, had a panic attack and ended up on the kitchen floor. Lol. The pain did subside though but despite being a rocker, it's not for me. Lol

So far I haven't had to take any pain meds since starting taxol. My infusion went well yesterday. I think that I fell asleep in the chair. I went alone and felt more comfortable that way as I felt that I didn't have to "entertain" anyone. Even though whoever went with me would encourage me to sleep if I wanted, I never felt right doing so

So, 3 more rounds. Next Monday is my bloodwork and meeting with my onc. Then wed is herceptin and taxol

Has anyone heard about a trial being done at princess Margaret to determine if herceptin will be beneficial for you? Someone told me about this a few days ago. I'll be asking my onc

All of my events are confirmed! Sat oct 25 PK creek mississauga in support of credit valley hospital - cancer services and fri nov 21 at all stars in Brampton in support of the cdn breast cancer foundation

I will be setting up events of Facebook and will share the links with you once done

If anyone wants to volunteer I will need help with raising awareness for these events, selling tickets and having volunteers managing the door, an awareness booth, silent auction table and selling 50/50 tickets

Have a great day all!!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited August 2014
    Options

Lolis/ yen: How did your last chemo go?

You must feel so relieved! I know I did when I finished mine. I was thrilled!

Lolis: Thanks for suggesting rosemary. I grow rosemary in my garden and I am always nibbling on it. I love it! I haven't tried the oil yet. How do you use it?

BTW, I have been using sage as tea, supplement as well as fresh herb for hot flashes. Have you tried it?

I haven't inquire about cannabis just because it doesn't seem very accessible plus I have been able to manage pain with meds so far.

While on Taxotere I experienced spotting during BM. I guess it must have been causes by haemorrhoids. 

What kind of breathing exercises do you do for hot flashes?

I do a kind of visualization when that happens: I picture myself in a nice cool breeze!  I also try to hold on to something cool like a cup, or a cool magic bag at night.

Regarding the hair, it feels now as thick as a carpet! Lol

Ang: I hope you are feeling ok after your  infusion Wednesday. 

Lol..  about your weed episode...you seem to have such an adventurous streak!

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Today went okay. I couldn't handle the ice as well as I did the first time. One more round of it and it will be over. I found out that they will take out the PICC the same day as my last chemo so can't wait for August 28 as I will take a very very long shower the following day. 

Amazon - I suggested the breathing exercises for the anxiety. I haven't tried the sage yet as my hot flashes are non existent at the moment but will keep it in mind when they occur. 

The rosemary oil you can use it a few drops of it on a cloth and breathe it and I think you can use it as an infusion, like a candle burning oil.

The cannabis oil would be more than just pain meds. Apparently these studies mentioned something about curing or fight cancer not just for pains. 

Yensmiles - how was the treatment for you?

Ang - that's awesome that you have the dates down. Keep us posted. 

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

Amazon, how did the IVC go, and the transportation back and forth?

it's kinda funny.. having had my last chemo session, i'm having mixed feelings.. wondering if my dosage is strong enough as my side effects are so minimal. And of course, thinking positive and grateful that it's manageable and plan to use more natural healing foods for life.. truly to eat to live! Speaking of hot flashes, my doctor told me that my "sweating" episodes could be hot flashes, despite no flushed cheeks/face. Cos there would be times whether i'm sleeping or just sitting that i just seem to perspire for no reason. 

Lolis, there is a thread on cannabis cure somewhere in the complementary/alternative forum and it's to use as a cure for cancer too. I couldn't handle the ice as well too this time round.. and i thought it was just me! somehow felt colder and i kinda was more fidgety, trying to edge the ice away from my toes at times..  my oncologist is pleased with my nails though.. and i hope it stays good till this whole 3 weeks and beyond is over. thanks for the tip on kefir!

I'm looking forward to a shave now.. plan to get a shaver and ask my sister to do it. Had some tips from another patient, about 2 months after chemo, and just finished radiation.. her hair looks like yours, Amazon, gorgeous, and she used to put some olive oil on it while bald (to moisturise) and as soon as the hair started coming out, she now uses coconut oil. I plan to do the same too.. using coconut oil which i originally bought for helping with my dog's coat to help my skin (as moisturiser + for nails too).. and soon, hair! :)

My tastebuds have yet to return, though managed to go to a pharmacy nearby after chemo, and after dinner (takeaway of roti canai + dhal and a side of snake gourd veggie -snake gourd kills breast cancer cells too- from an indian shop), and got the zinc tablets, and also this thing called "bio-oil" which is for scars.. i still have prominent lines where my surgical lines are, and the new friend i met in the hospital highly recommended it. i'm guessing the bio-oil must be super expensive, because out of all the things in the pharmacy, many which costs more, they kept that at the counter, and when i asked why do they hide it inside the cabinets at the counter, the cashier said, people would otherwise simply take it (shoplift!)!!! too tired to try it after my bath last night.. so will do it later today.. 

Footballnut, would love to hear more about the herceptin thing! and fundraiser sounds wonderful! yay! :)

have a good day all.. and Gonein, how are you doing? i thought of you when my oncologist mentioned about hot flashes!

• Bicque
    Bicque Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello, FEC-D alumni here, and about 3/4 of the way through radiation therapy. 

Still enjoying some of the later SEs of chemo as I've lost four fingernails (index and thumb on both hands) and one toenail (big toe, right foot). Currently the nails on my middle fingers seem to be lifting now, seems to be an odd symmetry to the process. Fortunately, the new growth underneath was about 2/3 complete, but still it is a challenge to get hospital cards and the like out of my wallet and to open some packaging without nails. (It occurs to me that fingernails are right behind opposable thumbs in the list of reasons why the human species have evolved to the position we have.)

My taste buds seem to be back to normal, though some things, like jam, can to be too sweet. I also seem to be rid of the odd smell that I noticed throughout chemo, a sort of off gassing I guess. It was everywhere, lurking in the background, not particularly unpleasant,  just *there*.

My hair is coming back, slowly but surely and just the other day I noticed some hair doing its very best to 'cascade' over the ear pieces of my reading glasses. Can hair tosses be far behind? :-)

Hope everyone is doing well with their treatments and with minimal side effects.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited August 2014
    Options

bicque: Welcome! So glad you found us and congrats on being an FEC-D alumni! 

Sorry to hear about losing your nails, and strangely somehow don't  feel competent to comment on the subject because I never had any issues with mine, perhaps the icing during infusions really helped. 

When I got my haircut yesterday, the hairdresser mentioned that the sides tend to grow a lot faster than the rest, so I opted to have my sides cropped pretty short. I am quite sure the hair on the sides will catch up in no time.

I do recall the ever present chemo smell. It was sickly sweet and kind of peppery too.  

I used to wash my clothes religiously trying to get rid of it and putting baking soda in my bath. Lol

Lolis: Please, share any info that you come across regarding research about cannabis oil for cancer.

I also wanted to mention that you are lucky to have such a supportive family.

I did a few IV fertilization cycles myself, but unfortunately none of the embryos survived a beyond a certain stage. So there was subsequently no freezing.

Yen: Congrats on being done with chemo!!! What's next for you? 

Let us know later on how's the bio-oil working for you.

BTW, I forgot to ask earlier about the way they preserved your ovaries. 

Ang/ gonein: How are you doing today? 

Ang: Sleeping trough the infusion sounds like a good idea!

Thinking about going back to work somehow raises my anxiety because I feel like I am not quite ready physically to go back having so much pain, weakness, fatigue and voice horseness and soreness plus lightheadedness. (My LTD leave should end at the end of September.)

Yen: When my hair was just starting to grow back I used to smear my scalp with some cocoa- shea butter. (Pls. See pic) that also contains olive, safflower, sweet almond and grapefruit seed oils in it. I thought it was helped to moisturize and nourish it quite well.

That cream is apparently great for scars. It's made locally here in Ontario, Canada. 

I also used pure vitamin E oil to massage the scalp plus Biotin and Silicea as supplements. 

• Gonein40
    Gonein40 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2014
    Options

yen/ amazon. I am doing good. I have been keeping myself busy but I find myself sitting sometimes just thinking of what I have been thru n what is yet to come.  I'm having lots of hot flashes n mood swings. Omg I must be a bundle to be around.  I have a busy wk coming up of drs apts n scans. I havent slept a full nites sleep since I have been diagnosed in sept of last yr. I'm beginning to think I will never sleep like that again.  And I am taking more pills now than I would ever be taking, so taking another is not an option for me. I'm not sure if I mentioned this at all but at my apt in early July I had to have my left implant out due to "thin" skin n my body rejecting my implant. So not only am I a bundle to be around. Lol I'm lopsided. I have a surgery sched for the second wk of sept for some "other" fixes on my right they are not sure as of yet what route they will take with the left. Ho hum. Here I sit ...waiting and waiting. And now you know some of my "sit in a daze wondering".           Lolis. Congrats on being almost done. It's going to be party time !!!!  

• Gonein40
    edited August 2014
    Options

yen you are done. Way to go. We are all proud of you. You did it girl !!!

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

Welcome Bicque! :) and ouch on the nails! Glad it's growing back! :) 

And in a strange way, i'm thankful for altered taste buds these couple of days - usually just few days after the chemo - i realised i can take natural sweetness - eg longans, cherries, apricots (they might taste slightly altered but bearable), whereas i can't take any added sugar anymore.. my sister went to a bakery and bought sourdough bread and  an apple pie for me to eat after chemo. My dogs enjoyed the apple pie, because the sugar taste in it was way too much for me. Can't eat donuts and typical buns from bakeries too.. hope that helps keep my weight in check, since i'm snacking so often, i'm gaining some weight.. probably from all the nuts too! 

Thank you Amazon for sharing those pictures, might not get some of those products here, though gives me a clue as what to look for. The recent purchase of zinc tablet thankfully comes with added vit b-6 (which is biotin right?). and i would still have many months of herceptin to go.. and september would be a month of radiotherapy, my oncologist says 15x + 5x booster, so 20 days altogether. I'm hoping i don't need a booster for my rather small chest.. and might just ask him again.. lol! he's yet to check my boobs as he's not my breast surgeon. and i didn't do anything to preserve my ovaries.. am 39 .. and the cost of it all would be too much for me, plus no assurances of efficacy. I'm not fully insured unfortunately, so almost everything is out of my own pocket. 

Thank you Gonein, am glad that the chemo part is over.. now looking forward to hair growth.. i just have this feeling that i can't work well without my hair!!! guess wigs just don't quite do the trick for me! Are the pills that's affecting you ones that you have to take because of the implants? or carry over effect from chemo? sometimes i do wonder what's next.. as in how to manage this for life.. lifestyle, diet, career changes.. *hugs* and hope the moodswings get more manageable.

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good morning ladies,

Welcome Bicque!! The fingers without the nails must be very annoying. I have noticed mine to have become more ridged and I have these white spots at the lower part of the nail. I hope they stick around.

God I just realized, after Yensmiles comment that I too am getting hot flashes. Lately my head keeps sweating and I didn't know why but now i do. So I will be looking into that sage tea that amazon suggested. I woke up at 2am last night because of the hot and cold flashes! Ahhh the joys to look forward to!!!

Thanks for posting all the pictures of the creams Amazon. I have never put oil in my head (with the exception of mayo when I had hair) so I will start with the olive oil and coconut oil. I can see my hair growing :-)

Here are some of the links about cannabis oil and a friend of mine suggested as soon as she found out I had cancer. 

http://themindunleashed.org/2013/07/cannabis-cures-cancer-and-government.html

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/04/molecular-biologist-explains-thc-completely-kills-cancer.html

I have signed up for daily blogs from this Dr. And some articles are interesting and here's some more about cannabis oil and a Canadian had to move to Europe to offer these treatments.

http://drleonardcoldwell.com/?s=cannabis+oil&x=-931&y=-222

Yensmiles - I am trying to stay away from cookies/cakes for that reason. Even eating a red apple it makes my taste buds burn. 

Gonein40- sorry to hear that you are having issues with your implant and the sleep issues. Is there anything at survivorship programs that can help with that? I know there are some yoga moves that you can do before bed and food you can eat to help with the sleep issues and perhaps some meditation will help?!

I almost forgot to take my neulasta shot yesterday. I take right on the 24hr mark but yesterday was busy with work (ended up working till 9pm - crazy!!!!) and took a bit later in the day. This morning the area that I poked myself is hurting, funny!! 

I have a similar dark half a moon on my big toe that started ever since chemo, even the nurse asked me if I hurt myself but I didn't. I will keep an eye on it for some more time. 

Amazon - a question regarding the soft breast prosthesis. I called that number that you posted here but I haven't heard back. How did you get yours? I am thinking if I should get a permanent one as my recon surgery won't be until next year. 

Has any of you gotten a compression sleeve to wear when exercising? 

Ang - how are you feeling? 

Hope you have a wonderful day today!!!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited August 2014
    Options

lolis: Regarding the soft breast prosthese, try to call the company (Wonderbra) directly that donates it to Canadian Cancer Society at 1-800-363-0790

I got mine by calling and asking them. I got size 5 nude, that nicely fills a B cup. 

Yens/lolis: I am trying to stay away from sugar too. Well the other day I bit into a cookie that was sitting on my kitchen counter looking so innocent, but as soon I did I spat it out, just because I didn't like the sugary taste any more or maybe my conscience was bothering me. Lol   

Gonein: I know what you mean by being lopsided! I have been lopsided ever since my UMX last year in October. Not fun!

Ladies: What kind of recon are you considering if any?

Re hot flashes: Mine occur mostly after eating or drinking something hot, or when feeling any stress or anxiety during the day. At night they happen for no apparent reason several times - perhaps getting overheated under the covers which is usually followed by 'I am freezing' episode.

How are your SE this time round?

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

yay to us staying away from sugar naturally! :) I am now having coffee craving.. just feel like one.. though wonder if i should.. is anyone of you drinking coffee yet?

Lolis, sounds superb that you've the energy to work till late! yay! hope the area where you poke yourself is feeling better! and it could be the effect of taxotere on the nails, or even FEC, that causes the discolouration.. happens to some people..  and haha, first time i've heard of mayo on hair! what does it do? 

Great to see the links on cannabis, hopefully one day soon, cancer treatment gets even easier.. 

Amazon, my hot flashes does happen at night.. several times in fact.. and i'd notice my blankets tossed to the side and freezing after that.. plus the occasional any time of the day too.. and this time round, i feel more "wiry" .. still woke up almost every hour to pee and drink last night.. and it's the 3rd night.. usually that happens on the first night.. but i seemed to have slept better on the first night than i did the last two nights.. 

changed my sheets yesterday too, makes me feel better to sleep on clean sheets.. otherwise i keep thinking that there's toxic "chemo sweat" on my sheets! LOL!!!

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks again Amazon!!!

I am thinking about the Latissimus Dorsi flap with implants. I don't want to do TRAM (although it would be a free tummy tuck) I am afraid of creating more problems for myself. I don't want to go through the recon surgery but it would make things a lot easier in terms of clothing. Not sure yet, I might change my mind about the recon. 

Yensmiles - I have been drinking coffee throughout the treatment. With the FEC I had to wait for a week before I could handle the coffee. I am having less than a cup/day.

The mayo makes the hair softer, shiner and nourishes the roots. It has the same properties as using olive oil for shinier hair. That was before cancer now I will just stick with the natural remedies. 

My SE started this morning, the inside pain, muscles soreness. I am waiting for the "truck" to hit me later today ahahaha The feeling bloated has been good so far, meaning not feeling like a giant whale when I walk.

Last night, I woke up to my pillow being all soaked and then I was cold. And I am having the same issues with waking up and using the bathroom. 

Amazon - are the tamoxifen hot flashes the same? How's your inside pain?

How's everyone else doing? 

• Bicque
    Bicque Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thank you for the welcome. :-)

One good thing to have come from this journey, is that I have lost a lot of weight. Now that my treatment is winding down, I hope to concentrate on getting my bad knee into better shape, which should be easier with the weight loss. I still have further to go in that regards, further motivated to reduce the threat from estrogen stored in fat.  (My new weight loss plans have been subtitled 'Scared skinny'. )

Yensmiles, I've not thought about natural sweetness, I will look different food choices to achieve that.

• Gonein40
    edited August 2014
    Options

Lolis. I've tried to take the natural sleep aid.....melatonin ,  Doesn't work. I guess I just got to learn to shut my mind off before bed lol. I do go in my hot tub n sometimes that helps.    I do hope there is no lingering pain for you.  Ive had muscle ache pain for almost 2-1/2 months now n it sucks. 

Amazon   I'm going to see my PS on tues n we will talk about the lopsided ness lol. 

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

Lolis, thank you, i will happily drink coffee the next time i've a craving! :) having my green tea now..  glad you're not too bloated this round.. did you manage to excape the "truck"? or are you experiencing it now.. i'm having bit of muscle ache on my neck and shoulders.. weird place to have aches.. wonder if it's the sleeping.. lol! overuse neck muscle on pillow while lying down!

Bicque, glad you've lost weight! me too.. though mainly from diet restrictions post-surgery than from chemo.. i cut sugar, salt and almost all processed food from my diet and the pounds just literally dropped.. gained back a bit while on chemo, probably due to the steroids.. admittedly, i'm afraid of sugar now, so if i want anything sweet, it's usually fruit or bit of honey in cooking. :) 

Gonein, glad hot tubs work for you! hope regular sleep comes back soon.. it could be all that you're going through as well..the appointments, the side effects.. sometimes we might be anxious without feeling it..

It's nice to know you ladies can joke and laugh over lopsidedness! :)

over here, having bit of nausea feeling.. and realise that thai-styled pineapple fried rice/quinoa is the best meal for me.. because the herbs and spices makes me perspire and i feel better after that.. kinda have a thermogenic effect..  my blood pressure was acting up again.. low yesterday and made me a bit "stoned/down".. today it' kinda erratic.. :(

looking forward to hearing how everyone's week is going.. 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have been feeling rather comatose lately. All I want to do is SLEEP! It's an effort just to keep my eyes open! 

So all my plans about doing this or that around the house are out the window and I am herefore spending the time in a horizontal position instead. Lol

Yen: I have been having problems with my BP. I had it checked last Wednesday and it was: 

102/68 (lying down) and 92/60 (standing up)

It's been really wacky and all over the place since radiation. 

I have been taking CoQ10 100mg and L- Carnosine 500 mg plus Selenium 100 mcg daily to support my heart function.

I also sleep so much, that I am almost getting bed sores! LOL My legs ache in a funny way in the spots where they usually rest while in bed. 

Re excersise: I am doing gentle stretching just to keep things moving a bit. Can't do anything strenuous yet. 

Lolis: My internal pains are slightly better, but a couple of ribs are still very tender to touch plus my pectoral muscle feels achy and grumpy. 

When I consulted my PS about recon, he said: Well your only option is LD flap. My response was: So I am scr**ed! He replied: Yeah, you would be scr**ed if you had NO options left. I agreed, but left the office rather shaken, because LD flap is a MAJOR operation that could mess up ROM and leave one with a debilitating back pain. 

(Warning: Rant ahead!)

This is NOT the first time I feel scre*ed by this horrible disease. Well, the first time I felt like it was when I was diagnosed, then when I found out I had to have a mastectomy, then when my LN came back positive, then when I found out I had to have the harshest type of chemo treatment and then when they told me that I needed radiation. Now I feel scre*ed by bc again by suffering from rather rare and delayed post radiation SE's and have limited reconstruction options!

So, yeah, I feel scre*ed by this and rather unfairly, but hey, is life fair?

I can somehow sum up my bc journey into the following description: 

It feels that I have survived a shark attack in the form of surgery then was bitten by a poisonous snake in the form of chemo followed by being whacked over the chest and kicked in the gut with a feeling of 'my- life- blood- has- been- sucked- out- of- me' by a zombifying parasite in the form of radiation!

(Rant over) phew

I am thinking of a fat grafting procedure instead or possibly of a muscle sparing LD flap. However, these procedures are not very common around here.

Thanks for sharing the articles about cannabis oil. It seems interesting, but perhaps more studies are needed to persuade the medical world.

Yen: I have been using honey as a sweetner plus stevia.

Gonein: I hope you and your PS can find a solution to correct the lopsidedness. Let us know how your app went. BTW, did you get an infection on that side?

Bicque: I lost 10 kg with the same 'Scared to Slim' diet! LOL After my dx about a year ago, I just lost all my appetite and ever since then I just kept loosing weight. 

Ang: How are you doing? 

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

oh dear Amazon, this does sound like an awful week for you..and feel free to rant.. i think it helps one feel better just to let it all out.. so much going on at the same time for you. how long is it best to wait before reconstruction (to ensure no nasty ilngering effects from chemo and radiation to hamper healing)?

i do feel 'comatose' when my bp is low.. maybe that's why you're feeling comatose too.. and gosh, radiation affects bp too??!? my bp and pulse are already very wacky now..

glad you manage gentle stretches.. my exercises have been gentle ones too... usually 10mins, and maximum about half an hour.. lol! no energy to do longer ones, or rather a bit apprehensive of overworking the heart while on herceptin.

hmm, if you're game to try another possible food cure, this is another one of those very effective and unique traditional chinese herbal products: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilinggao Recommended by a lady i met while doing chemo last week, she had it during radiotherapy and got the go ahead from her oncologist to consume it. It's considered "cooling" and "good for the skin".. i might be eating it too when radiotherapy commence.. it's bit bitter and usually served sweetened with side syrup. some chinese herbal shops also sell pre-mix powders where one can make it like jelly at home. 

• Sam2013
    Sam2013 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello,

I had my second round of FEC last week, I shaved my head because I started to lose my hair 14 days after my first round! So far I am trying to manage the symptoms the best I can. The odd think is my nails are getting kind of blue! My last Round of FEC will be in 2 weeks then I will start 3 cycles of D. I don't know what to except but I am taking one step at the time.

Yesterday, I had my first meeting with the surgeon, He recommended that I continue with the Chemo, then surgery Mastectomy, after that Radiation then
    Reconstruction during that time I can remove the "healthy breast "and
    do immediate reconstruction. I do Have a
    tumor larger than 5 cm, thankfully it is shrinking due to Chemo :)

My issue is as follow:

I have large breasts, I can't imagine looking at the mirror
    for one year with only one breast :( but maybe, it worth to be patient for one year??

I am feeling confused and afraid that I will be making wrong choices.

Logically makes sense to have a double mastectomy since that is what I am opting for, I have
    very dense breast, Calcification etc.. so that if feels that is the right
    choice for me.I know it is lame but I
    am really hoping that I can use the nipple from the other breast during
    reconstruction. Yes, I am attached to the nipple more than the breast itself.

Meeting with the plastic surgeon, next maybe, I will have
    more answers.  

• yensmiles
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello Sam, welcome and you're in a place where the people here are wonderfully supportive and informative.. i can't say much on the mastectomy and reconstruction, and i so wish i've the problems of big boobs! lol! petite one that became slightly more petite after lumpectomy. 

Happy for you that the tumour is shrinking! :)

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Amazon - I think you wrote out all of our rants. I feel scr*wed too as the recon is such a difficult choice now because we are left with not many. I am not sure if the fat grafting will work with the radiated skin as, not sure about you, but there might be enough skin to just do fat grafting. I didn't know there is a MS-LD, I would definitely ask the PS about it. It seems like the lesser of the two evils.

I managed to escape the "truck" this time. The aches were less compared to last time. I still have a bit of joint pain but it is not that bad. I think the trick of drink 2+cups of water as soon as I am up helped with the bloatiness. My tongue is feeling better too, not sure if the yoghurt/kefir helped but it does feel a lot better after having a cup of it. 

If your bp is low, some honey and water or a cup of coffee could help. 

My PS said to wait 1 year doing the reconstruction. I will probably contact here after 6months from rads being completed. Not looking forward to another surgery. Can't take all my vacation to deal with this problem, I need a real vacation!!! 

• Lolis
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Sam,

Welcome and sorry that you had to join us. 

Glad that the tumor is shrinking!!!! Being with one breast is a bit inconvenient but it is not too too bad. 

As suggested by the surgeon I will wait the 1 year to avoid any issues with the skin because of the radiation. 

I would wait and for the recon and do both breasts to have some symmetry. You have time to decide until you are done with chemo. 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited August 2014
    Options

sam: Welcome! I am glad you found us!:)

I would recommend to get as many second or third etc. dr opinions as possible before you can make any such decision. 

For example I consulted seven different BS/ PS before I made my choice of surgery.  It was not an easy one, but one that I could give me the best chance.

In retrospect, I believe I made the best choice, however difficult one, at the time.