Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    edited January 2017
    Options

Leslie are you taking Clariton for the bone pain? I guess I should ask first if you get the Neulasta shot the day after your treatment. Clariton helps with the bone pain and most were on it when I did my treatments. I would start taking it the night before my Neulasta shot and for about 5 days after. Helped me immensely. I found my first Taxotere the worst. Wasn't fun, had a few crappy days each time but the last 2 weren't as bad as the first. FEC was much easier for me. It was the crash from the steroids that would really make me tired too

• rv6gal
    rv6gal Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2017
    Options

I only had 2 docetaxel but for each one I had terrible pain on day 4 and 5 each time. The 2nd dose, I also took codeine on day 4 and 5 and basically stayed in bed as codeine makes me sleepy. I dont think if affects everyone the same way but it sure kicked my butt!

• Leslie2016
    Leslie2016 Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2017
    Options

I do take neulasta, and I do take the claritin. I know this wasn't the neulasta...I mean, I still had the neulasta pain on top of this other pain. Days 4-6, with 5-6 were awful. I feel better today, so far anyway. I will get a prescription for something better next time and not try to get through with just tylenol and advil. Yikes.

I handled FEC pretty well. I guess it was too much to ask that the D be easy too. Only 2 more...I will dread them, but I can do it, right? I'll just plan on taking lots of pain meds and doing nothing for the week after.

• KarenInCanada
    edited January 2017
    Options

The "D" was for sure the toughest part. FEC I was surprised at and had expected worse. The part that sits with me most when I look back was how much my head would sweat and soak my pillow as well as I would wake up and have no clue where I was or what I was doing. I think it was the steroids that caused that part for me. I also dreaded how I would just start feeling better and it would be time to go for another round. I did get all the side effects like sores in my throat, wicked indigestion and on and on. Seemed like one would be getting better and another would start. I have more pain now that I am just on Herceptin (back pain) I think because I am on my feet all day at work. Going to talk to my MO about it next week. I was off work throughout chemo, and thought I just needed time to get used to standing all day but nothing had changed in the last 2 months.

Good luck with you upcoming infusions! You will be through this before you know it!

• Leslie2016
    edited January 2017
    Options

Is your back pain bad from just the herceptin? Last night I'm pretty sure was the Docetaxel, but my hips felt like they wanted to just rip off my body. A "normal" pain I can handle.

• KarenInCanada
    edited January 2017
    Options

I am thinking it is...I finally looked up the side effects from Herceptin and the back pain can happen with it. It only happens when I am doing a lot. Standing all day it doesn't hurt much but as soon as I get in my car and come home it is brutal. I am not one to take any pain meds at all but do take an extra strength Tylenol after work. It's like it has seized up when I finally get to rest. I can barely move in bed sometimes. I miss going away and will be off work almost 3 weeks and dread the thought of working after that again. My MO may have some insight so I will talk to him next week. I don't think it is a common side effect though

• HolaSandy
    HolaSandy Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2017
    Options

Leslie,

I also had terrible aches and pains for 2-3 days on docetaxel. I found the first one the worst because I didn't know how bad it was going to be. I did have prescriptions for toradol and dilaudid and did end up taking one or the other a couple times.

Hope this time passes quickly for you!

• Leslie2016
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks HolaSandy. I hope the first was the worse. I will admit, I'm dreading getting the next dose.

• HolaSandy
    HolaSandy Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2017
    Options

Leslie how have you been? I hope your treatments are going well and you aren't having too much dowcomfort

• Leslie2016
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hey HolaSandy. Had #5 last Wednesday. From Friday to Monday I just popped the pain killers the MO gave me for this round. I was in rough shape, but much more manageable than last time. I don't like popping as many pills as I did, but I'll do it again next time if it means I can stay pain free as much as possible. I also slept much better, which was needed. If I can do the same next time, I can manage the last one. Thank goodness it's the last one. I couldn't handle it if I knew there were a bunch more. Looking forward to the chemo part being done. Rads, herceptin and tamox over the next while can't be as bad as this was. I hope I never have to do chemo again.