Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Warm & fuzzy owls, goats, kitties, dogs, birds ETC. PICS &LINKS

Comments

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920
    edited February 2016

I think Loverly is right. Looks like a Shiba Inu to me.

• lekker
    lekker Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2016

A rare phenomenon known as "firefall" has drawn visitors and photographers to Yosemite National Park in California.

The stunning visual display happens every February when the light hits a waterfall tumbling down El Capitan.

But the intensity of this phenomenon depends on the volume of water and the cloud cover.

The park authorities said: "The Horsetail Fall phenomenon appears when the angle of the setting sun sets the waterfall ablaze with reds and oranges, like a fire was falling down the cliffs on the shoulder of El Capitan."image

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    edited February 2016

Or dogs can have sibling rivalry! We had our dog eight months before our son was born. Loved to eat either his socks or baby wash cloth. Would upchuck it a few days later. Yuk! Six years later twins come along. Hubby brings him home from the vets, gives him a bath and the next thing I know I hear Duke taring through the house. I'm upstairs on the bed with the babies. He comes up on the bed with a running leap. Stops dead in his tracks when he realizes babies are on the bed with me. Sat at my feet with his back to me for one hour. Tried to keep his noise in the air with an indigent look on his face but couldn't hold it. If one of the girls made a noise, he would turn look and go back to his head up in the air. It was so funny to watch. Then he ate their socks and wash cloths and I would get a present a couple of days later. Told the vet about this and he said it was sibling rivalry. Do have to say, he was very protective of the children. Jealous but protective. Thanks for bringing those memories forward.

Meant to tell you all, DD1 got engaged last weekend. Her DBF took her to Napa Valley to propose. She is thinking about a fall wedding. Now to set the fire under her to start pinning things down. Wants it small. Trying to decide if she wants the ceremony and reception at the same venue or private ceremony and party to follow. This will get interesting knowing her. DS and DDIL will come over for it with the children.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,890
    edited February 2016

You are both right Shiba Inu. Thanks..

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2016

We had an Australian Shepherd mix, when our first GS was born.... Brandon was HIS puppy! He had to be beside him whenever we had him.... Would NOT like Brandon's Dad, or any "strangers" near him.... We had to coax Chevy away from the baby, to pick him up... He would push blankets up against him, and lick his hands....

They grew up to be best friends.... always together.... Playing frisbee was the best... Me holding Brandon, throw the frisbee to Papa, then Papa throwing the frisbee out in the yard, and Chevy bringing it back to me and Brandon! We had soooooooo much fun! And then Brandon learning to crawl through the dog-door... Chevy taught him, and would wait for him to come through outdoors!

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2016

This picture could have been mine... Ha!

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited February 2016

I noticed the TV remote nearby on the blanket in one of the photos of baby with dog.

So we can guess that the baby is probably a boy.

Nerdy

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2016

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:
    Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
    We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
    Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a r azor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited February 2016

Excellent!! So true!!!!!

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited February 2016

ThumbsUp Love it!! I remember the times when we had to walk to the market with my mom or nanny carrying our own basketfor groceries. I feel sorry for our kids.

Lekker, beautiful photo of El Capitan. Wow

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2016

I remember washing our baby girls cloth diapers in my Mom's wringer washer.... with one galvanized wash tub.... and then carrying the clothes outdoors in a basket, and hanging them on the line.... It was a REAL job in those days....

We only had one car, and DH took that one to work.... If we went to the store, we walked.... with that HUGE baby buggy.... I picked up things in the store, and laid them on top of her, then paid for them through the check-stand.... But I LOVED having my "own" little family!

Oh yes! And I loved mowing the big lawn with our push-mower... while DH was working! I did the same things my Mom and my Grandma did.... I never had a dryer, until the girls were in grade-school.... and I STILL only run it for about 10 minutes, then hang things either on hangers on the one line we have, or on the metal rack to finish drying.... We saved money that way.... And I am the dish-washer.... Ha! Don't have one of those either.... And no..... I DON'T like being "old"..... I wish we were younger, and felt better, but the good thing is, we are HERE, and we are happy!

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited February 2016
    It's funny how we have all the conveniences, but have less time. Is it because we are to busy with the maintenance of them?
  • MusicLover
    MusicLover Member Posts: 777
    edited February 2016

Now we need to go to the gym for a workout....

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,890
    edited February 2016

Ditto to all that was said and THANKS,,,,,,,will have a nice comeback when the discussion floats this way. It's all perspective. Then we just dealt with it and it was normal. We didn't think green, we lived it.

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    edited February 2016

the picture of firefall on elcapitan is amazing!

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    edited February 2016

Chevy boy, love that! So true! We weren't nearly as wasteful as they think we were. I think we had it pretty good in our day. Atleast we could have a vocal conversation. Kids now just type. Don't even learn how to write cursive. So sad

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited February 2016

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited February 2016

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited February 2016

Aphrodite looked better lolling around in her seashell, that's how she got away with it.

Chevy love the green story so much of that true for my growing up.

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2016

Mags.... Hah.... ! Yes,We need to be more Aphroditey-ish!

I was looking around my kitchen window this morning, and thought it's "cluttered"... I have a pretty ceramic plaque my Daughter gave me, (God, bless our family)..... a little tiny vase the neighbor gave me, an Aloe plant..... in short, I have stuff all over the place! I even save toilet paper card-board, cover it with pretty Duck tape, and use to wind up cords... I do the same with little boxes... to hold things in the drawers or garage...

My Grandma and my Mom just saved every little thing! Even potato peelings go out in my pots... to freeze and use for mulch, along with the coffee grounds. I was born green.... Hah! The city provides us with big purple dumpster/barrels that we fill, and we put all of our re-cycle's in there. You can get GREEN ones also, for mulch, but I do my own mulch stuff... And we recycle for free! The mulch ones cost a little.....to have picked up.

Hah Feeling! That was funny about Aphrodite... "Lolling around".... Aren't those "Conch" shells or something? My Dad worked for a Florist, and used to stock the most BEAUTIFUL shells in his store, for plantings! And he made them a "Lanai" in their yard near San Francisco, with Koi, in the pond he made..... and the netting, and shells.... Even piped Hawaiian music out to the Lanai....! How sweet to think of that!

Dad used to tell us to put it up to your ear, and you could hear the Ocean! Of course I believed him... because after all... that's where it CAME from... right?

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2016

Oh never mind.... Aphrodite was in a big giant clam-shell it looks like.... It even SAID so... and here I go off talking about a Conch shell....Snooze

• feelingfeline
    edited February 2016

• feelingfeline
    edited February 2016

• feelingfeline
    edited February 2016

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2016