Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone here with another primary cancer diagnosis??

Options

Comments

• Sinsin
    Sinsin Member Posts: 200
    edited March 2015
    Options

To everyone, my condolences! Hang in there!

JohnSmith, great info! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Blundin2005
    Blundin2005 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2015
    Options

I recently watched the PBS.org program "Cancer, the Emperor of all Maladies". The program covered the historical perspective through to the present. It gave me much more insight into our disease. It was not comfortable to watch simply by the nature of the subject. However, I felt somewhat grateful that it was produced at all, grateful for the people who continue the research, and hopeful because these people exist.

I've had 3 primary cancers now. Breastcancer in 2005 (still NED)-- Bladder cancer in 2008 (still NED)-- and now lung cancer in 2013 (NED as of the 6 mo. CAT March 12). Most of my strength returned and I'm back in the garden getting the veggie boxes prepared for planting. I use my body positions when I work for intentional exercises to keep moving forward. I wish the same for all of us.

This thread is supportive to find here. BC.org is evolving too it seems. I'm glad for this. Healthy people are fortunate but can't fully fathom this journey, a fact I've come to accept. Once in awhile, we need to talk to someone who "gets it". My husband fights another devistating disease...his a rare genetic disease...I've found that I can't fully know how he must be feeling either. Our mortality is very personal no matter how great the intentions of others.

Best wishes to all as always,

Marilyn

• Rdrunner
    Rdrunner Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2015
    Options

I got the last episode of that program and would have loved to have seen it all.

• SugarCakes
    SugarCakes Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2015
    Options

Rdrunner, it is available to stream on Amazon for $8.99. I watched the first part last night and tonight. I haven't checked, but it's likely available on iTunes as well

• Sinsin
    edited April 2015
    Options

Marilynn, with three primary cancers, have you had genetic testing and testing done for othe illness, some rare, that can cause one to have high probability of multiple cancer diagnosis. If not, please have your MO look into it

• Yeg9525
    Yeg9525 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2015
    Options

I was diagnosed with poorly differentiated stage IIIB signet ring Adenocarcinoma in my colon that originated from my appendix. I was very lucky that it did not make it to the peritoneum where it would have seeded and spread mucous throughout my abdomen. It was found in 4 of 18 nodes tested...I am currently NED for the SRC - it is a rare Cancer.

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2015
    Options

Wonderful to hear you are NED.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited June 2015
    Options

a second primary cancer in my one remaining breast 25 yrs after the first one. It was dx last Oct.

• Sinsin
    edited June 2015
    Options

Congrats Yeg on being NED! Pop the bubbly and celebrate and may you continue to always be NED!

• jackie99
    jackie99 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have cervical cancer also

• jdfly
    jdfly Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2015
    Options

2009 dx with lung cancer and had middle right lobe removed. 2015 dx with breast cancer doing chemo to shrink tumor

• pepper43
    pepper43 Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2016
    Options

A PET scan after bc dx showed a suspicious mass in my right kidney. A follow up CT scan and urologist visit later and I'm 95% likely to be dealing with renal cell carcinoma. The mass is 6.5 cm. Given the size, my kidney will be removed next month.

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2016
    Options

Pepper 43, Hope the mass is confined to the kidney and that the surgery goes well

I just had the right middle lobe of my lung removed for a new primary lung cancer, one month ago. I had the right upper lobe removed 3 years ago for a lung cancer. They do not think the 2 are related(not a metastasis), which is a good thing, I also had a melanoma 23 years ago, and, of course, the breast cancer 6 years ago. Enough already!

• DSW1976
    DSW1976 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2017
    Options

I haven't been on these boards in a long time is sorry for the delay in response. I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma this past July.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited February 2017
    Options

Two years after my breast cancer treatment, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. So I've had a mastectomy and a prostatectomy and am NED for both diseases. Phew!

• lekker
    lekker Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2017
    Options

This thread isn't very active (I hope that's a good thing and it means there aren't a lot of us who've been "gifted" in this way). Sorry to see traveltext and DSW here. I hope whatever treatments you have to endure are tolerable and work

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    edited February 2017
    Options

DSW, another melanoma survivor here. (I was stage 1). You may want to look into genetic testing as there is a familial melanoma gene (all of the cousins and I have MM). Also, In doing research, I found some studies showing that some melanomas are estrogen positive.

• Charlene1
    Charlene1 Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2017
    Options

throat cancer oct 2015

breast cancer June 2016

Pet scan after treatment for throat cancer revealed breast cancer

• Ojttocs
    Ojttocs Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hey Breast and Thyroiders:

I'm having trouble with mets, and there is some indication that my thyroid meds are partially to blame. If I try to keep the thryoid cancer suppressed, I am having recurrence and mets with the breast cancer. My radiation onc thinks there's something to that.

Are you having that problem? How are your docs treating you?

TIA,

ojttocs

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited February 2017
    Options

My wife 3 types of BC: ER/PR+HER2-, 100% erstrogen, grade 1, ER/PR+HER2-, 30% erstrogen, (grade 3 which was in the center of the grade 1 tumor) and triple negative metaplastic BC in her lymph nodes.

After a year NED on tamoxifen PET scan shows numerous mets to spine. Biopsy Monday but oncologist said probably Xeloda next treatment. He fears it's the triple negative come back.

Mike W.

• Jesika63
    Jesika63 Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi everyone- After 2 years of BC dx.., i was just diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. My lymphoma was found during a CT for diverticulitis. There are quit a few ladies i have met at the Oncologist office with this same dx. I also take synthroid for my thyroid (for over 20 years) Hope these cancers don't find their way to my thyroid. I agree with CT picking up just about everything in your body. Good or bad.

Seems like this boards is getting active after all. :((

• lekker
    edited February 2017
    Options

It sure is getting active. Does anyone here have any idea why they are experiencing multiple cancers? Genetic syndrome? Toxin exposure? Treatment for one cancer causing another? I did the Broca genetic panel out of the University of Washington. Back then they tested 40 known/suspected cancer-associated genes and I had no mutations whatsoever. Maybe it's something they haven't discovered yet. My older brother has never had cancer so I doubt it was some massive toxin exposure in childhood. And my colon cancer was caught so early I didn't even need surgery (removing the polyp was enough). Just bad luck??

• DSW1976
    DSW1976 Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2017
    Options

Breast and less than two year later acral lentiginous melanoma a rare malignant melanoma on my heel. I am still trying to heal from surgery from in july 2016 .. Melanoma is a beast of a cancer too.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited March 2017
    Options

Guess I am dif as my bc just spread to liver

• IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi,

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006 with recurrence in 2010 and 2016. I was diagnosed with NETS (Carcinoid) cancer in 2015 that started in my stomach and spread thru my nodes into my liver before I even knew I had it. I'm currently being treated for both. Ibrance and Femara for breast cancer and Sandostatin injections for NETS. My doctors tell me that I'm really a rare case and don't even know anyone else with my combination. Please let me know if any of you have.

Thanks much,

Nancy

• ktfelder
    ktfelder Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2017
    Options

lekker - Were you tested for Chek2? I've had breast and thyroid cancer and now have Serrated Polyposis Syndrome (pre-cancerous colon). Besides breast, thyroid and colon cancer, Chek2 also is related to melanoma and cancer of the uterus. Chek2 is very new and they don't know too much about it.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2017
    Options

interesting, i had dcis 8 years ago and recently diagnosed eith cancer in my liver, currently on aromasin and affinitor

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    edited April 2017
    Options

Melanoma about 6 years ago. (it runs in my family)

• lekker
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ktfelder - I was tested for CHEK2 as well as 30-some other genes and had no mutations detected (Broca panel from the University of Washington). My genetic counselor told me to check back in with her after 5 years had passed to see if there are any new mutations to investigate. I'm coming up on that date now and I will let you all know if there's any news.

• WJGS
    WJGS Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2017
    Options

Multiple things here. Meningioma in brain, high-grade DCIS in one breast, ADH in other breast, basal cell carcinoma, and multiple symptoms of a rare inherited neuropathy that is in my family. A novel mutation was found on a gene that everyone seems to be investigating as it has been linked to inherited neuropathy and a number of cancers, including breast, melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers, prostate, and others. Traveltext - the gene is NDRG1, and a group of researchers at the University of Sydney have published a number of papers on it. The U.S. NIH has also identified the loci - 8q24 - as an area with increased risk for breast cancer, and other researchers have identified that loci as an areas of increased risk for prostate cancer.