Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone here with another primary cancer diagnosis??

Options

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited September 2017
    Options

Judi, I trust your team can get the new tumors under control. Where are you being treated?

• Jenpinc
    Jenpinc Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi- 39 yo and new to this community and this world! Just dx with BC 10 days ago. Was told it was small and really early. Went to BS and she said it's not early and it's not small and spread to axilla. Stage IIB. Was missed 2 years ago on US. Went for genetic testing and MRI. Showed masses on the other breast and lung. Ignoring breast masses since already opted for BMX. CT scan confirmed lung mass so went for lung biopsy today and the doc said does not follow the pattern of mets - phew - looks like second primary lung ca. Yikes. Don't know for sure but prepared for it to be positive. In this alternate universe I now live in I am relieved. I mean what a whirlwind of a week. I am finding strength in my kids but not easy! Anyone have similar situation? Was treatment more complicated? Was treatment concurrent or one first? Any advice/support appreciated. Can't believe how life can change so fast

• lekker
    lekker Member Posts: 238
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi Jenpinc. I hope someone who had synchronous (at the same time) primaries comes along soon to support you. This thread (fortunately) isn't that active. There is a lung cancer - not Mets thread and you could search for that. My primaries were 12 years apart so metachronous. I'm sure it's extremely stressful waiting for the lung pathology so you can create a treatment plan. If it does turn out to be breast mets, there is a lot of support on the Stage IV boards. Please come back here and let us know your results

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi jenpinc...almost 3 years ago I was diagnosed at age 43 with stage IIA BC, I had a BMX and after that chemo. Halfway through chemo I started having a lot of bone pain and a PET revealed a thyroid nodule, which after biopsy confirmed to be thyroid cancer. Treatment for me wasn't more complicated but staggered with the priority given to what was most important first. For me that meant finishing chemo for BC. Then I had a thyroidectomy, and after that radiation for my BC, and when that was done radioactive iodine tx for my thyroid. I have 3 young kids too, and treatments were tough, but I was determined to fight! I am 2 years post treatment now and doing great.

PB

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789
    edited October 2017
    Options

hi jenpinc, sorry you need to join us. I was dx with BC 9/16, had lumpectomy. While recovering complained to my PCP s nurse that I was having stupid perimenopause syymtoms. ( I was 54 and still having periods, tho inconsistently). She encouraged me to go to gyn. Long story short, I had biopsy and dx of endometrial CA. In the mean time the IDC that was removed was found to also have DCIS throughout the sample. I had hysterectomy in jan, them UMX in march. Scans I had revealed a mass on my kidney and thyroid. Kidney seems to be ok, Weare watching that. Thyroid was removed at the same time I had BC reconstruction in july. That was benign. Yeah, it happens and stinks. You will get through this. Only thing I wish I had done differently is get/accept help earlier in the process. I waited for help until I had surgery, where I could have used help for the kids, meals ocassionally when going thru the diagnosis phase. I'm pulling for you!

• GreenEyes81
    GreenEyes81 Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2017
    Options

I was dx with idc in July. Had an MRI on a lump on my foot a week ago and am now scheduled for a biopsy on Wednesday to confirm if b9 or not. I am done with BC treatment other than if I decide to take Tomoxifin. It just feels like its never ending.

From tons of research, I can't imagine it is met's....so thinking a new sarcoma more likly if not b9.

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited October 2017
    Options

3 years after I completed tx for BC ( BMX and chemo) I was diagnosed with primary lung cancer. Lobe removed. One year later ( one year ago) a new primary lung cancer was diagnosed. I had a second lobe of my lung removed. We are watching a nodule that has been very slowly growing over a couple of years. No intervention needed at this point. I am still working full time, taking care of my 2 sons, who have moved back home (20 and23) and leading a normal life, though exerting myself physically is a bit difficult.

• Jenpinc
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi all- just came from oncologist. Was diagnosed with primary lung cancer in addition to the breast cancer. Also found a suspicious lymph node mid chest which needs to be biopsied and if positive will determine if originating from breast or lung making either cancer stage 3. He said breast would be a better scenario. They also found a nodule on my adrenal gland. Need a PETscan for that after next biopsy. Need a special hospital to do that and if needs to be biopsied it is very tricky. My goodness this snowball won't stop. Since all are on the right side and I am so young and they seemed to onset together, the onc said I am one of the rarest cases he has dealt with, even as head of oncology at a reputable hospital. Not so comforting. Tomorrow I am going to a holistic dentist to get root canal teeth removed as this seems to be a cause of cancer and on the same side it seems too coincidental. Changed my lifestyle completely. Went to plant based diet and a ton of supplements to reverse these beasts. Now more testing waiting and praying. I wish I could just move forward with healing. But that seems a while away yet.

• pessa
    edited October 2017
    Options

Jenpinc, so sorry to hear of the lung cancer, on top of the BC. Hoping the lymph node turns out to be benign. You are dealing with so much!

Interesting about the root canal connection. I have had several on both sides. My BC and lung cancers were all on the right, however a melanoma I had 24 years ago was on the left. I guess no pattern there......

Wishing you well and hoped for outcomes on your ucoming procedures.

• lekker
    edited October 2017
    Options

Jenpinc - so sorry to hear about the lung cancer. You’re dealing with so much! I hope the lymph node and adrenal nodule are benign. In the midst of this turmoil, has anyone spoken to you about genetic counseling? I only ask because certain genetic causes of cancer can affect treatment decisions. I hope you get some good news soon.

• Jenpinc
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi lekker, I have done genetic counseling for the breast and they are checking on what other genetic tests might be needed for the lung or what can be covered off from the original panel. That was definitely a topic for discussion. Results are pending.

Pessa besides the lobe removals was there any other tx for the lung cancer? Hoping the surgery will be enough but I guess it depends on the lymph node. Sorry to hear you had to deal with so much but gives me hope that you are well

• pessa
    edited October 2017
    Options

Both lung cancers were stage 1, the first one was 1B, the second was 1A, so the only treatments were surgeries (difference was tumor size). Both were non-small cell. The lymph nodes that the surgeon removed were negative. You are correct that further treatment beyond surgery, would be based on lymph node status. I really do feel well except for getting short of breath with activities. I can do everything but it takes me 2-3 times as long. I do want to let you know that the lung surgeries were much more difficult than the mastectomies (I had 2 separate surgeries for the mastectomies), however I have fully recovered from all surgeries.

Wishing you well. Keep us updated

• Yoxter123
    Yoxter123 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2017
    Options

Traveltext Brisbane ..sorry for delay in replying being treated on GC ...however may be looking for recommendations for Brisbane ? Recent Onc ordered CT for ongoing hip pain ,raised markers etc came back reporting a confirmed solid lesion on R kidney op site .. Neoplasm ... Total freak from me so soon from last surgery ...demanded second opinion from second surgeon and radiology consult .... Report- simple cyst close to original op margin ...wow how do I learn to return to trust people reading my scans ?? I pray that second opinions are correct !!

Also due to see geneticist in two weeks ...... Start the hunt for family patterns and hopefully more genetic testing .... Thru my research I have as have others found some connections between breast cancer,kidney cancer,thyroid cancer and endometrial in some people suffering from more than one cancer primary ....interestingly enough they have also been watching closely a couple of nodules on my left lung.

To everyone on this page ...we are all informing each other of similar cancer experiences and it certainly makes me feel better to know I am not alone !!

Wishing you all well and any genetic testing results I will definitely post on here....information is power

• 2FUN
    edited October 2017
    Options

can you provide links for more info re:root canal and CA link?

• mightymon
    mightymon Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2017
    Options

I was diagnosed with stage II IDC in 2010, stage IV ovarian cancer in October 2016, and just last month diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia!! This one is therapy related from the BC treatment I had back in 2010.

I also had Li-Fraumeni syndrome with TP 53 mutation (the killer gene) So this explain why I keep having cancer. LoopyLoopy

• lekker
    edited December 2017
    Options

Wow mightymon- what a story! How’s your treatment for the AML going? Are you currently receiving treatment for the ovarian cancer too?

• 2FUN
    edited December 2017
    Options

mightymon. How did yu find out about the syndrome/genetic mutation? Please keep us posted and hand in there! (Hugs)

I got good news yesterday that my kidney cyst is still the same, a year later. Yay, but still don't know why I'm still having UTI s constantly. Having colonoscopy as soon as I get on the list. May be months she said. After 4 surgeries in I months I am hoping there is nothing else. Do yu all get tired of thinking positively?

• lekker
    edited December 2017
    Options

2fun - you’ve been through so much. Do you have access to a counselor or therapist or someone who can try to help you process everything? Good to hear the kidney cyst hasn’t changed. Have you ever had a colonoscopy before (forgive me if you’ve mentioned it and I missed it)? The worst part is the prep but it’s manageable. Maybe you can get on a cancellation list so you won’t have to wait so long? Please keep us posted

• 2FUN
    edited December 2017
    Options

lekker. I'm doing ok mentally, just wish I had more energy to buy healthy food and cook. I've been buying healthy salads and kale cakes from our fancy supermarket. Makes whole foods look like a corner market. Thanks for the sympathy. Sometimes you just need validation of your cancer reality!

• mightymon
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi lekker, I finished my chemo for Ovarian cancer in Feb this year and the scan show NED so I'm not on any treatment for this. Just a 4 monthly blood test which pick up my low white blood cell, Dr order the bone marrow biopsy and the rest is history. This AML is therapy related from the breast cancer treatment I had back in 2010 so I will have to have a non intensive treatment for this (trying to control than cure it) which I happy with. Smile

• mightymon
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi 2Fun, I had the genetic test and was negative for BRCA gene but positive for the TP53 mutation. Good to hear about your kidney cyst. I also had colonoscopy and find the whole experience was not bad at all. I actually very amaze by what I can see!! lol.

• 2FUN
    edited December 2017
    Options

I don't mind having the proceedure, I just don't want to find out that there is another problem.lurking!

• lekker
    edited December 2017
    Options

I get what you mean about the colonoscopy potentially finding yet another problem 2FUN. The only good part about it is if they do find a polyp, they cut it out - often before it has grown into a full blown invasive tumor. But it would be lovely not to have another invasive test, right

• 2FUN
    edited December 2017
    Options

totally, and I ve been having bowel and bladder problems, on and off. Not sure how much to chalk up to AI side effects, or how much to worry. Trying not to worry, that take too much energy for me!

• 2FUN
    edited December 2017
    Options

those of you who had primary colon cancer too, what were your symptoms?

• lekker
    edited December 2017
    Options

I had one significant episode of bleeding with a bowel movement. It was clearly not just a “little blood on the paper” kind of thing. I had new insurance so I met with a primary care Dr the next day. She found a little blood when she inserted a finger (sorry for the TMI but I’m not shy after all of that). The next step at my HMO was to see a surgeon (for some reason they do the initial scopes before GI does a full blown colonoscopy). He didn’t see any blood with the tiny anuscope so he scheduled a flexible sigmoidoscopy. As soon as that scope went in, he saw the polyp so it was on to GI. I never had another bad episode of bleeding while all of the testing was happeningso I’m lucky that my doctors didn’t just brush it off because I was only 30.

• 2FUN
    edited December 2017
    Options

wow, you were young. I've had bleeding, but I also have major hemorrhoids. My dr has said not to worry

• chronicpain
    chronicpain Member Posts: 217
    edited December 2017
    Options

Oct 6, 2017 01:20AM pboi wrote:

"Hi jenpinc...almost 3 years ago I was diagnosed at age 43 with stage IIA BC, I had a BMX and after that chemo. Halfway through chemo I started having a lot of bone pain and a PET revealed a thyroid nodule, which after biopsy confirmed to be thyroid cancer. Treatment for me wasn't more complicated but staggered with the priority given to what was most important first. For me that meant finishing chemo for BC. Then I had a thyroidectomy, and after that radiation for my BC, and when that was done radioactive iodine tx for my thyroid. I have 3 young kids too, and treatments were tough, but I was determined to fight! I am 2 years post treatment now and doing great."

Just found this thread. Pboi, did your docs determine that your thyroid cancer (was it papillary?) had anything to do with your complaint of bone pain? If yes, i.e., the pain would have been due to mets to bones, and you would have needed much more than thyroidectomy and I131 to the thyroid. Most thyroid cancers do not hurt unless they are huge in the neck, or are metastasized (not common) and are easily curable, way easier to handle than BC. You were also on arimidex for a year at the time, per your signature, which causes bone and joint pain in 25-40% of women, so maybe that was the cause of the pain.

Here, if the arimidex caused bone pain, it is ironically a good thing it did, because otherwise the PET would probably not have been done and the thyroid cancer dx would have been delayed and not incidentally discovered

I am glad you are doing well.

• chronicpain
    chronicpain Member Posts: 217
    edited December 2017
    Options

As I just discovered this thread today and am new to the forum, I will chime in with a couple things:

1. It would be good to know how old people are ( if they are willing to disclose), when they post replies ( I ' ll start, I am 63). As people's life expectancies have gone up, we have been seeing more cancers, as they are living long enough for either mutations to occur, genetic predispositions to get expressed especially in middle-aged and elderly, and/or for environmental exposures to cause delayed cancer, including tobacco. Around 1900 there was not much cancer, much less dual cancer, per population statistics, as people died of other things, on average with age 47-48 life expectancy in the U.S., and life expectancy was still only around 64 in the 1930's when social security was implemented, compared with around 80 or so now. Older people like me, get more cancers, and age is a huge risk for BC. I understand I need to die of something at some point, and anticipate more problems, am just hoping to get to my 80th in decent shape :)

I have had multiple skin cancers the last few years, and since my beautiful southern CA blonde sister died of metastatic melanoma within 8 months of diagnosis, I have been preoccupied with my skin cancer treatment and monitoring, and other illnesses, and thus neglected the mammogram for 3 years, also because it hurt too much. Have neglected getting colonoscopy, may do FIT stool testing for colon CA as a compromise instead until I have healed from my BC surgery and can get wiggled around on a colonoscopy table.

I did the Color genetic testing commeneted on above, negative.

2. Are there any veterans on this forum ( or married to some?) Viet Nam vets who were in country during the war were presumptively exposed to Agent Orange, a carcinogen, and can get cancers ( and pensions) for lung cancer, head and neck cancer, prostate, bladder, and renal cancer, and various hematological malignancies. The list of service-connected cancers keeps growing. Gulf War veterans may also have been exposed to carcinogen, same with Iraq and Afghanistan ( there were more women in those wars than in Nam) and it remains unclear what if any carcinogens were there, some of the guys who were there are trying to make a case any cancer they get is related, TBD if true and which ones.

3. Other recognized risks for cancers besides genes are also important to note. I have had excess BMI around 27-28 the last 10 years (overweight category), a risk for BC, and also drank a glass of wine daily and sometimes more (it's wine country CA!) prior to diagnosis, both risks for BC, and was on estrogen for 17 years prior to diagnosis, another risk.

I also had therapies for autoimmune diseases, another risk for skin cancer at least, as was my outdoorsy, sunblock-hating behavior