Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2014

Options

Comments

• Bow1965
    Bow1965 Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2014
    Options

I would check with your doctor too Canuck, but I also had blurry vision on Taxol. I had to squint to see anything, and black spots too. It went away as well. Down to single digits ladies!

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited November 2014
    Options

I had to wear my glasses the two days after my AC treatment due to dryness.  On Taxl/Herceptin/Perjeta, I've noticed changes some days when I wear my contacts.  I have a harder time looking at my phone or iPad.  I'm pretty sure I read that it was normal to see some changes while on chemo.  

I had terrible constipation on AC.  I was excited when they told me Herceptin and Perjeta caused the big D.  Who knew I'd be excited about that!  

Only 3 more Taxols to go!  Just in time to enjoy a big thanksgiving dinner.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited November 2014
    Options

Canuck ... I was on taxol for 11 months (weekly) & developed floaters.  Never had them in my life & it freaked me out.  I was referred to my eye MD for a check.  He confirmed floaters but also told me it's very important with any vision changes to have a thorough vision ck to rule out the retina being involved.  So I would highly encourage you to get checked out.  He also said if it starts in the other eye, that eye should be checked out as well.  I'm off taxol now & still have the floaters, but at least am aware of what they are.  I realize it can be a normal aging thing, but feel the taxol did set it off, in my case.

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited November 2014
    Options

Canuck,

Not sure if it is the same as what you are experiencing but I found it was like I had a fuzzy film over one or both (usually my right) eyes at times. I would rub my eye to get it off but it would still be there...which probably means it wasn't a film at all! It has stopped and I did see my eye doctor after chemo. I didn't think to mention it to him, but he didn't see anything wrong with my eyes.

• CanuckMom
    CanuckMom Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks ladies!  I spoke with a chemo nurse this morning and she recommended I see an optometrist to rule out a detached retina.  She also said it's a side effect of taxol but less than 1% of patients experience it....seems like a few of us have had this so I think that may be a little inaccurate.... I have always had perfect vision, until now.  So, I have an optometrist appt booked for tomorrow afternoon...I will let you all know how it goes!  

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

so I'm a month out from my last treatment. I really thought I'd feel pretty normal by now...but I don't. My body hurts from the time I wake up until about 11am then starts to hurt again at about 9pm. I still get about 2 or 3 hot flashes a night and one or two during the day. No period (though I don't miss that). My fingers are still numb and they get prunish almost as soon as I get in the shower. And I'm still tired. I started thinking flue? Depression? Wtf?

I did find this "life after treatment" page that made me feel a little more normal...

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/life-aft...

• CanuckMom
    edited November 2014
    Options

So I went to see an optometrist and she confirmed the presence of floaters as well as the beginnings of glaucoma which could be a chemo induced side effect.  Scary...

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

I had floaters before chemo. My eye doc told me it happens as we age (I'm only freaking 36) but the beginning of glaucoma does sound a little scary!

• hikingandhorses
    hikingandhorses Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2014
    Options

Canukmom:  I had vision changes on Taxotere - at times I couldn't see anything even with my reading glasses.  Onc said it was a temporary SE - definitely mention it though.  My vision is better but it's not back to where it was.  My last chemo with TC was Oct 6.

I'm also still dealing with fatigue and stamina.  It's not going to work for me if I can only work for two hours and nap for two hours!  I painted a small room for a friend and had to take a breather after rolling one wall!!  A one hour drive to and from a 2 hr campus tour with my daughter translated to a 4 hour sleep-fest on the couch.  How sad is that!! 

• BurntToes
    BurntToes Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

I didn't get a port, I learned quickly to drink a bottle of water, so they wouldn't blow out my veins. Took earbuds, watched a little tv, used Kindle on my phone. It was over quickly (30 minutes to an hour, me time ;) ). I left straight from work each time (except the 1st). Last appt of the day, drove myself home. Lost my hair & all 20 nails. Super bad neuropathy. Important: If you do not wear button shirts - they ask "Do you have trouble buttoning your shirt?" If you answer like me, I don't wear buttoned shirts. They put "No". That question means (I figured out too late) are you having trouble picking up a coin, taking off a snap-on lid (like coffee can plastic lid), Tupperware lid, it means are you having any trouble with fine motor skills. Answer "Yes" Do Not Explain. They do not hear you. Your answer will confuse them. This means you need them to lower the dose or change the chemo, or you can end up with forever damaged toes & feet. CIPN. Insurance does not cover any treatment or meds for it. Can no longer wear socks or shoes that touch my tiptoes, it burns them immediately. Cold causes spasms, intense pain, etc. I am afraid of winter & air conditioning (cold air) now.

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

Burnt Toes,

All I can think of to say is....that freedom's sucks.

I really hope it works out for you.

• CanuckMom
    edited November 2014
    Options

Radical, I am actually worried about recovery. I have so much support right now but I think when chemo ends they will all just expect me to snap back to normal immediately.

My chemo was postponed this week. The first reason is I have had a bad cold for 2 weeks and I'm getting sicker, so now I'm on antibiotics. The other reason is I went in to get my eyes checked by an optometrist. She confirmed the presence of floaters, but the real kicker was that I have the beginnings of glaucoma. Apparently this can be a side effect of dexamethasone as well as paclitaxel, but most likely dex. So, we are investigating this further. It scares me...permanent vision damage. So, everyone on this board should get their eyes checked. I had 20/20 before this all started. Glaucoma is irreversible but treatable if caught early. I would not have caught it withouth the presence of floaters.

Burnt toes...I hope that your side effects improve over time.

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

Canuck,

My dear friend who did this cancer thing 3 times recently reminded me to look sick when possible. Lol she said I will find that as my hair comes back everyone just expects me to be perfect. She said it was all well and good that I put on a strong face during treatment, but she told me to be sure to complain about my ailments AFTER treatment so I won't be taken advantage of or run into the ground by others.

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

Canuck.....

You really got me thinking about the glaucoma thing and the relation to medications. I didn't look up the dex etc because I no longer take it, but because I'm still dealing with expansions I have a prescription for diazepam. Guess what. Big warning not to take it if you have or are getting glaucoma. I knew lorazepam was similar and that is what they gave me to take orally for nausea during chemo. Looked it up. Guess what. BIG warning about glaucoma!

I understand these medications are very helpful, but I thought I'd share what I found to emphasise how important our vision changes really are! They may not be a result of chemo. Our Oncologists might not be in denial. It might be all the drugs they're giving us to prevent other side-effect!

• hikingandhorses
    edited November 2014
    Options

Everyone makes a good point. I was putting off going to my yearly exam because I didn't want my "temporary" bad vision affecting my prescrip. I'll make an appt NOW! My Onc didn't say a word about getting my eyes checked jic it's glaucoma. BurntToes - I too am dealing with neuropathy and muscle pain but not to your degree. My thighs feel like they're full of lactic acid - like the pain and stiffness I would get the day after a race. But they feel like this all the time. Too long in one position makes for difficulty getting up. The pain in my fingers makes playing guitar hard and painful. I still have peeling skin on my hands and feet even though the blisters finally went away. Whew!

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi All,

Seems this chemo business is the PITS, even when done with treatments. Sad

My last treatment was 9/22, and I am glad to be feeling better, but still not back to 'normal' by any means. I am still tired and achy, and my eyes are tearing and always seem irritated. My eye dr has me using TheraTears 4 times a day, and just prescribed a new drop to try, - Lotamax. Before this, I was on a stronger eye drop regime that worked wonderfully, but as soon as I stopped using it, the problem reappeared.

On another note, - my eyebrows are starting to grow! Smile Now, if the eyelashes can follow, it may help keep things from getting into my eyes. Hair on head is not showing much growth though. phooey! And to 'add insult to injury' , I see top of lip hair that shouldnt be there!! YIKES!!

Radical, - GOOD LUCK with your procedure Tuesday!! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Canuck, - take it EASY and take good care of yourself!! Get well SOON!!

Sending hugs and BE WELL wishes to all here!

• CanuckMom
    edited November 2014
    Options

Radical - Thanks for the warning.  I take Ativan prior to each chemo to help relax my body/veins to accept the IV.  I guess that's prob not a good idea...

• Bow1965
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi all - thanks for the eye info, I wear glasses for computer work & haven't been to my ophthalmologist since I started treatment - guess I should go get checked asap.

Eleven weeks PFC today and 2 weeks post rads - I was starting to feel better/more energetic/less irritable at the end of last week and over the weekend, but today marginal. Started Tamoxifen last Friday and I think that is the cause, I am a bit short of breath and my dreams are waking me up at night so I am tired (way different feeling than the fatigue, which has subsided). My acupuncturist told me that vivid dreams are a side effect of Tamoxifen - have not researched this but boy have I had some doozies the last couple of nights! No nightmares, but I wake up really believing my dream took place in real life. So weird. My skin is almost totally cleared up - it was crackling and painful the last week of radiation and the first week post rads. I did not get blisters.

For those worrying about recovery - it's weird being done with treatment, I don't have a doctors appt for another month (!). My center has a survivorship program to help adjust to all of the issues we will have post treatment - medical and otherwise - check with yours or maybe some of the support groups can offer advice. Canuck, I think it was you who mentioned for every month in treatment we need 2 for recovery - which puts me maybe back to normal around this time next year. This seems superficial, but I think I would feel less sickly if I had my hair back!

Cheers to all of us.

• hikingandhorses
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks Bow1965 for the idea of a survivorship group. I'm hitting the "Now what do I do with myself" wall. Just started radiation and still dealing with left over side effects which makes scheduling clients a challenge. I was happy to hear from my eye dr that my eyes are ok, though! I went through the teary eye thing too - had to carry a box of tissues and I looked like I was crying all the time. That stopped, thank goodness!

Will be starting Tamoxifen after rads....vivid dreams, eh? Hmm. Well, how bad can it be? (I know....don't ask or I'll jinx myself!) Thinking of you all....group hug!

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hey hiking....sometimes those "vivid dreams" are REALLY GOOD dreams from what I've been told! Here's hoping that those are the ones YOU get!

• Bow1965
    edited November 2014
    Options

No such luck with my dreams Radical, haha. Even my dreams have lost their mojo

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

oh bow....that is terribly disappointing. I was looking for a highlight.

• anothernycgirl
    edited November 2014
    Options

Radical, - did you have the 'switch' procedure this week?? How are you??

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

I did NYC girl! I'm a little sore but more comfortable than I was with the TE's already! I just have these little slices under my boobs, but I know there was work done inside so I'm trying very hard to take it easy and not move them around too much.

• anothernycgirl
    edited November 2014
    Options

Great Rad!! Keep taking it EASY!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

• CanuckMom
    edited November 2014
    Options

I hope you recover quickly also Rad!

I've got good news! The cold is gone after 7 days on antibiotics. The glaucoma after further testing is not full-blown glaucoma but early warning signs. I had chemo again today (3 to go).

• Bow1965
    edited November 2014
    Options

Heal quickly Radical! And great news Canuck - 3 more, you've got this!

I shoveled, my muscles are sore - so silly, but I feel flipping great. We got dumped with snow and I did something "normal" getting up early and clearing the driveway before work. Food for my body, mind and spirit

• anothernycgirl
    edited November 2014
    Options

Great news Canuck!! Smile

Bow, - dont work so hard! Shoveling can take its toll!!

• Radical2Squared
    edited November 2014
    Options

bow,

I "shoveled" too! We got a light dusting here. I busted out the broom and swept off the porch! Lol

• Dixie1
    Dixie1 Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hey everyone, I'm just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I've done 20 of 37 rads and feeling pretty exhausted. I've still got neuropathy in my feet and the cold really seem to aggravate it. The good things are that my skin is holding up pretty good so far and my hair is slowly making a comeback. I just wish I had more energy. How are you doing????