Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV - HER2 - 7 years!

Options
juniper
juniper Member Posts: 12
edited January 2015 in HER2+ (Positive) Breast Cancer

It's been 7 years since my diagnosis of Stage IV BC.  I have been on Herceptin, almost every three weeks since and I am still NED.  Sometimes I can't believe it.  I was sure I would be gone by now.  

Comments

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited July 2014
    Options

Congratulations!  Such an inspiration to everyone.  <3

• kathleen1966
    kathleen1966 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2014
    Options

Thank you for sharing! It gives us all hope! 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited July 2014
    Options

A wonderful story, and an inspiration to all! 

Thank you so much for sharing! 

Wishing you many, many more years! 
    The Mods

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited July 2014
    Options

Congratulations, Juniper!!!  So good to hear this.

Liz

• Becs511
    Becs511 Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2014
    Options

Congrats Juniper! That's amazing! I was diagnosed Stage 4, triple positive in May, and this gives me so much hope for a great future.

• juniper
    edited July 2014
    Options

Becs - I wish you the best on your treatment.  I had a similar treatment when I started (Abraxane and Herceptin).  

• Becs511
    Becs511 Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2014
    Options

Thanks Juniper! So far so good. I have had 10 weekly treatments of Taxol, mixed in with Herceptin and Perjeta every 3 weeks. They seem to be doing their job, because my rather large lump is no longer palpable! 

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395
    edited July 2014
    Options

Juniper thank you for sharing such an inspirational post and Becs511 I hope that I see a similar post from you in 7 years!!   

• RoseMary_FI
    RoseMary_FI Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2014
    Options

Congrats, Juniper!!!

I'm following you and hope to get as good result as you have had. I'm on my 4'th year with HER+ stage IV.

• Sheila6
    Sheila6 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2014
    Options

Congratulations Juniper! That is amazing!

• moderators
    edited September 2014
    Options

Posts such as this are invaluable to those going through this, as a positive experience to give the hope many need to read. 

Inspiring hope and a positive approach can be so important to any treatment process. It is great to read such stories.

The Mods

• lovecat3
    lovecat3 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2014
    Options

huge congrats!! Fellow stage IV on Herceptin ( 2nd time) for 2 yr so far so good!! You give us hope!!

• juniper
    edited September 2014
    Options

I still get herceptin every three weeks.  I find myself more tired the day after treatment, possibly because I'm getting old.  I have a problem with splitting finger and toe nails. Other than that, I have no long term side effects.

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited September 2014
    Options

Congratulations Juniper!!  I love hearing success stories!

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes, as the Mods said we NEED to hear success stories such as yours. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Amy

• DianaMK
    DianaMK Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options

I am Stage IV - HER2 - 4 years - on Herceptin - stable

so thankful to still be here

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395
    edited October 2014
    Options

Diana!!  so great to hear and I wish you continued stability!!

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    edited October 2014
    Options

congratulations!  So happy to hear this news

Nancy

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited October 2014
    Options

both wonderful stories  thank you for sharing!

• JeninMichigan
    JeninMichigan Member Posts: 51
    edited October 2014
    Options

stage IV from the start and have been NED since June 2008.... Nearly 6 1/2 years!   Love hearing these success stories! 

Jennifer

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited October 2014
    Options

what marvelous news! May you have seven years more, sevenfold!

• FridayGirl
    FridayGirl Member Posts: 137
    edited October 2014
    Options

I love to hear stories like this, it is so encouraging for the rest of us!

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited November 2014
    Options

I just found this thread. Thank you Juniper and others for giving me hope. I just got the results from my first scans since starting Taxotere, Herceptin and Perjeta, and everything is shrinking. Yay! With any luck I too will be able to report back in seven years. :

• sissbrn
    sissbrn Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    Options

thanks for sharing this! you are all so encouraging

• MarshaMay
    MarshaMay Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2014
    Options

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Your story and others like it give us all hope. I'm also Stage IV and NED for over a year.

• StacieRae
    StacieRae Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you for this post. I really needed to read these hopeful stories today. I was diagnosed with stage 3C breast cancer almost two years ago. I had a hard 18 months of very aggressive treatment, but was taken off Herceptin this past July after I had completed the standard one year. There was debate about whether to keep me on it because my cancer was a tough one. I have been well, but now have a hard pea-sized lump near the scar on my left side and it seemed to appear out of nowhere just in the last week. I'm waiting for a call back about a biopsy appointment. I'm having a hard time fathoming how I will cope if it is a recurrence (which seems likely)...but all of you living with Stage IV HER+ disease have given me reason to breathe deeply and not jump ahead of myself to worst-case scenarios. I really appreciate it. I'll be 44 in a few weeks and I have a wonderful husband and an 11-year-old son I adore and I really want to be around for MUCH MUCH longer.

• car2tenn
    car2tenn Member Posts: 132
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you for your encouraging story....Maybe with advancements we can all have longer lives...

• Dani0709
    Dani0709 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you for giving us hope. My mom just diagnosed with stage IV cancer, mets to lung, liver and bone, HER+. She will be starting chemo (taxo, herceptin, Perjeta) this Wednesday.

I just gave birth last month and still coping very hard with the situation with my messy hormone and anxiety....

• moderators
    edited January 2015
    Options

Welcome to BCO Dani0709, we're glad you found this fountain of wisdom and experience. You can support your mom by becoming informed from safe sites like this forum. It is a scary time for the person and their family (like you) but the more you understand and are prepared for, the better.

We hope you find plenty of support here and glad you also found the Forum: For Caregivers, Family, Friends and Supporters, but there is also For Family and Caregivers of Members with STAGE IV Diagnosis that you may find more appropriate - it is your choice.

We wish you mom and your family the best over this trying time.

The Mods