Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Neoadjuvant TCHP - Post Results Here

Options

Comments

• ladyduffer
    ladyduffer Member Posts: 12
    Options

Just another update.  Thank God and to all prayers, the recent mass was from a benign cyst, however, it is too deep to remove.  But the BS said that the neoadjuvant TCHP was successful because the 2 malignant tumors are now gone...YAY!  BS is 99% sure there is no cancer in the lymph nodes.  Now I have a big decision to make about the surgery.  Lumpectomy with nipple biopsy due to Paget's (BS prefers), or Mastectomy with implants.  I am leaning towards MX, but  I will try and learn what I can on BO from those types of related threads (LX vs. MX).  I am so grateful for this website.  If anyone has any input about either type of surgery, I will truly appreciate it.

Jacquie

• loriekg
    loriekg Member Posts: 118
    Options

Jacquie--whew!! Great news for sure! How long do you have to make your decision?

• ladyduffer
    Options

Thank you Lorie!  They told me to take a couple of days, today would be the last day.  I still haven't called them with my decision, because I am still pondering about it.  I think I maybe going with the mastectomy though, but kind of concerned about the more involved surgery with implants.  I've been saying all along MX, but when given the choice, I'm finding it difficult to decide.

Jacquie

• kmas61
    kmas61 Member Posts: 2
    Options

6 rounds of TCHP, continue with Herceptin for 1 yer,

• kmas61
    kmas61 Member Posts: 2
    Options

2 tumors left breast, .08cm and 1.2cm, 2 possible node involvement, had 6 rounds of TCHP. Continue Herceptin for 1 year, Had BMX , SNB and 2 Axillary Nodes removed on Feb 4th,with TE placement. Final Pathology Report....PCR!!!!!!   

• ladyduffer
    Options

Congratulations on your good report KMAS61!  You have been through a lot.  I hope that you are recovering quickly from your surgery.

Jacquie

• loriekg
    Options

I can imagine Jacquie! I've been thinking bmx all along myself...but when the time comes I know it will be difficult.

Yay kmas61! Congrats on you final report!!!!

--Lorie

• ladyduffer
    Options

I hope you're doing well with chemo and you have VERY little SE's Lorie.  It will be done before you know it, and then I hope you feel confident about whatever decisions that you have to make.

Jacquie

• CassieCat
    CassieCat Member Posts: 863
    Options

kmas61, congrats!

• PMR53
    PMR53 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Kmas61

Congrats! What a lot you have been through!!! You came through the storm!!! PCR!! So happy for you !!

Ladyduffer. So glad that darn thing is benign!! If you get lumpectomy you get Rads too? No Rads with MX ? I am getting MX right.

Patty

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    Options

PMR - if you only have DCIS then you might not need rads if you have a BMX - as I didn't the first time. My MO said rads for sure when it came back as IDC because I'm HER2+. Every doc is different.

Congrats to all who are completing treatment or are B9.

• CassieCat
    Options

I had IDC and am having rads after my MX.

Edited to add that I did have one positive lymph node as well.

• ladyduffer
    Options

Thanks Patty!  If I go with lumpectomy, I will get 4 weeks of RADS.  If I go with MX, no RADS (maybe because she thinks I'm Stage 1) unless they find it in the lymph nodes, but BS told me that she's 99% certain it's not in the lymph nodes.  I pray she's right because I am in the 2% that got Paget's Disease.

Hope everyone is keeping warm.  I'm from Slippery Rock, PA, and it was -28 degrees here this a.m.  Have a nice weekend!

Jacquie

• SugarCakes
    SugarCakes Member Posts: 73
    Options

Is there anyone that had lymph nodes with the cancer when diagnosed, had a complete response to the neoadjuvant therapy, and did not have lymph nodes removed

• agness
    agness Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hey Sugarcakes, I had my axilla light up with a bunch of cancer in the nodes when I did my originals scans a year ago. After 5 rounds of TCHP only two nodes still lit up in my MRI, one sentinal mode and one behind my breastbone. Of the three nodes they removed with my SND (which I pressed for based on the results of the z1071 trial after speaking to one of the participant surgeons) there was only scar tissue.

No cancer cells were found.

• CassieCat
    Options

I had one lymph node show positive on an initial PET scan. My surgeon removed it and one other, and neither had any cancer. So I had a complete response to the neoadjuvant chemo but did still have two nodes removed.

• SugarCakes
    Options

thanks ladies. I am kind of getting ahead of myself as surgery and lymph node removal is a few months away. I have read enough to get worked up over the idea of "too many" lymph nodes being removed unnecessarily.

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367
    Options

agness, CassieCat-- Great to hear that the chemo got rid of the cancer in your nodes! That's wonderful!

--

There hasn't been any sign of anything in my nodes, but without a SNB with the neoadjuvent chemo... and the thought that there can be microscopic cancer spread without nodes getting lit and showing on scans, it's reassuring to think that the chemo might be getting rid of any chance of that, too!

--

I had a breast MRI during my third of six chemo treatments, a week or so ago. I was just late in getting one, so my MO just checked to see if there was only sign of the one tumor/lesion I had found...

But he didn't say anything about whether it looked like my tumor was shrinking after 3 chemos... Can they tell size differences from one Breast MRI? How DO they tell such things? Another ultrasound? Were you all checked during the treatment--or just at the end of the chemo--or at all!-- for how much the tumor was shrinking??? Or did you just go right to surgery and find out then?

And does everyone get a SNB? And should they?

I have yet to talk to a surgeon, although my MO mentioned setting me up for that when I recently got my 4th chemo...

• CassieCat
    Options

april, I had an ultrasound done about halfway through. I think it was just prior to round 3. At that time, they could not detect the original two breast tumors. We couldn't feel them anymore either, but it was nice that even on ultrasound they couldn't find them.

• SugarCakes
    Options

I had an ultrasound the same day I had the mammogram (after I found the lump). I also had a CT scan. The size of the tumor in the ultrasound is what they seem to be using as my base, though the CT scan results note the lump as being smaller. I have been meaning to ask the MO about that. I assume I will have an MRI at some point. I certainly want one.

• loriekg
    Options

April—before my second treatment I saw the MO who measured (manually, no scans) and told me it had shrunk by about ½.  I don’t know if they will do another ultrasound or MRI before surgery or not. I had my ultrasound right before they did the biopsy, then scheduled an MRI before beginning chemo.

I did get a SNB when I had my port placed.  I was told that the results from my SNB would not alter the plans for my chemo. 

• chrissie29
    chrissie29 Member Posts: 81
    Options

I was never checked for tumor shrinkage (shrunk from 8.4cm on MRI to 6.5cm after surgery) while getting TCHP even though I asked.  I was told it wouldn't change my treatment plan.  I found out after surgery that my tumor had shrunk but because it was mucinous, it didn't shrink like a normal tumor.  I envision mine like a giant pond with lots of debris(cancer cells) before surgery and after treatment, a smaller pond with a couple pieces of scattered debris ("few viable cancer cells") on opposite ends of the pond so the measurement is still big.  I had manual exams but my MO couldn't tell if it was shrinking or not because of my dense breasts. 

• chrissie29
    chrissie29 Member Posts: 81
    Options

I didn't have a SNB before treatment, only after during my mastectomy.  I did have my specimens sent to Mayo Clinic for a second opinion and to address treatment effect, and the Mayo Pathologist didn't see any treatment effect in my nodes so RO said nodes were likely clear before treatment-hope she is correct!

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367
    Options

Thanks for talking about your different experiences with tests and tumor shrinkage, everyone!

---

Well... I asked my MO about whether he will check to see if my tumor is shrinking.

He said he doesn't do that. He said that is all up to the surgeon, since he has to deal with the tumor and its size.

Hmmmm! Sort of makes sense... but you'd think they'd want to see if the treatment was working... even if it wouldn't really change the treatment (although you'd think it would change the treatment if it wasn't working!!!???)

Anyway... I'm seeing a surgeon next week. Maybe I'll find out more then!

• CassieCat
    Options

april, my MO would just do a manual exam and that was enough to notice changes.

• PMR53
    PMR53 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Hi All,

I finished #3 TCHP Feb 23. My MO ordered an US for next week to check tumor shrinkage. She made it sound like it was standard treatment. I am praying and hoping it has shrunk and I can have surgery after #4. My SNB was negative. Have you ever called to talk to the Dr (M0) and was told that you can pretty much just only talk to the nurses? I guess the can only talk to you at your appt.

Patty

• loriekg
    Options

Hi Patty—glad to hear it's an US, not another MRI!

• SugarCakes
    Options

Wow PMR53!  My MO said I can email him at anytime.  He actually prefers email.  He has always been quick to respond to me and if it's a detailed response, he will pick up the phone and call me.  It's amazing how much they all differ.  I liked my MO the first time I met him.  He seems so laid back and he is big on telling his patients to live life as normal as possible.

• CassieCat
    Options

I hate my MO. I like or love everyone else on my entire extended team except him. I wish it were different and need to figure out how to move forward with him or with someone else.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    Options

April - My MO and breast surgeon sat on comprehensive tumor boards every week even though they aren't at the same institution. I think either doc could have brought my case before the boards. My BS wanted another MRI before surgery to see how much the tumor has shrunk. And since it only went from 5.5 to 4.5, the board decided I'd need another round of different chemo even it the BS could get everything out. And based on the fact it wasn't a PcR, they all agreed I'd need rads too. I'm a big fan of testing along the way.