Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

HER2 positive survival and recurrence statistics

Options
2»

Comments

• kimm992
    kimm992 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Femcheetah - I too was diagnosed at 35. The treatment wasn't a walk in the park but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Once I finished chemo and was getting Herceptin only, I had zero side effects. No heart damage and no chemo brain.

I had my final Herceptin in December 2016 and I am feeling great today!

Of course, everyone is different...but many people tolerate treatment just fine with no long term side effects.

• SugarCakes
    SugarCakes Member Posts: 73
    Options

I was diagnosed with the same in january 2015. I went by the book: chemo, BMX, radiation, cont'd herceptin. It wasn't as bad for me. I kept a positive, can do attitude the entire time. I also made a point to do my wig, makeup, and nice outfit for every appointment and treatment. Look better, felt better. I researched a lot from the moment I was diagnosed. All I read about her2 and heeceptin, I would have asked for the treatment plan had the doctor not offered it to me the very same way! It's been Just over two years, but it feels like a distant memory most times. Your friend sounds like someone that can handle this just fine. Tell her to Keep doing her regular routine as much as possible and when she need to stay in bed, don't beat herself up over it. Yes her2 is aggressive but I ultimately felt lucky to have the diagnosis and feeder I had. It is one of the best, most effective treatment plans out there!

• Femcheetah
    Femcheetah Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you for sharing your experience SugarCakes and Kimm992!

• WandaLee
    WandaLee Member Posts: 5
    Options

I was recently diagnosed with triple positive BC . Er+/pr+ and HER2+. I am 10 days after my first TCH chemo treatment. I am finally feeling pretty good minus a low grade headache, rash and extremely dry mouth. The first day or so following treatment was not too bad except I could not sleep due to steroids. I never had nausea, diabetes or constipation. My biggest complaint was bone and muscle pain which I do not think was totally due to the Neulasta as the pain started before my injection. I have 5 more chemo treatments and then surgery. If I choose lumpectomy then I have 15 radiation treatments. I am conflicted on bilateral mastectomy vs lumpectomy. I am 48 years old and do not want to be faced with this same decision in years to come. I don't want to put my family thru this again. But bilateral mastectomy seems like a drastic option. Any one else dealing with this difficult decision ? I am also waiting for genetics test results. If those results show BRCA gene, then my decision is made for me as I will have the masectomy.

• DATNY
    DATNY Member Posts: 53
    Options

I did and chose BMX. My docs agreed. I was 44 at diagnosis, and they said I will have a long time to worry about bc, if I kept the other breast.

• PoseyGirl
    PoseyGirl Member Posts: 298
    Options

I think many oncologists and surgeons may disagree with the BMX depending on subtype, so I honestly think there's no consensus across the board on this one. My doctor said it would be much more likely to recur somewhere else than in the contralateral breast. If I had lobular cancer, the scenario might be different. I think the general thinking on this is that often, it's the patients opting for BMX, not the doctors, and there's not the data to support BMX over mastectomy (or lumpectomy) outcomes wise.

I would definitely take your question to a few experts..

• WandaLee
    WandaLee Member Posts: 5
    Options

DATNY , I understand completely. The thought of dealing with the anxiety during each mammogram, worries me to death.

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    Options

My stats are below. My MO and first BS were very adamant that lumpectomy would be the right decision for me. I was super conflicted about it. In the end I chose BMX because - I was 50 and hopefully have lots of years ahead of me, I didn't want to continue to "watch" stuff in the good breast, I didn't want to do radiation (didn't have to in my case with MX), I didn't want a weird looking breast from LX or more surgeries to try to fix that or gain symmetry.

On a side note - I thought I'd be avoiding that "scanxiety" but sometimes wish that there was more follow up than just exams. The reassurance that all is well might be worth the fear of the imaging.

• Hopefaithlive123
    Options

Hello,

Be strong l know you are going through a difficult time. You can do this. We are all here to support and encourage you. I wanted let you know l am 11 years cancer free. I was Her 2 ER/PR- stage 3 nasty prognosis. I am still here and you are too. Believe and keep the faith.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I am diagnosed with her2 positive grade 3. I had my 2nd ac on March 8. It was word that 1st one. Fists I have dry cough until now and on2-3 day I had some difficulty of breathing. Not necessarily shortness of breath but a heavy chest. I do not know if anyone had consistent dry cough after chimo. Given that the 2nd chimo was worse that men’s it will get worser due to weaken body?

Also they told me that ac is the worst part and then taxol ans Herceptin will be easy? It is really true?

In June when I will be on this 2, my son is graduating from high school. I will be devastated if I miss it.

I am no smoking no drinking person and while I had some emotional stress in my life I cannot still understand how this could happen as perhaps all of ssked by yourselfs.

I am also looking for encouraging stories that this tough jurny will end with being cancer free.

Thanks

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

If you really want to be at your son's graduation, let your MO know and he/she should plan your treatments around that goal. You may have no issues that prevent you from going, but if you do then they can delay an infusion by a week or two to accomodate you.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    Options

margun- it's different for each individual. I had minimal side effects with chemo and almost none with radiation. Chemo was never fun though. Herceptin and perjeta we're tolerated very well. I have minimal peripheral neuropathy from the taxatere and herceptin as per my MD. The neuropathy hasn't worsened or diminished and it's only in my toes. I didn't experience a dry cough but I had a constant runny nose. I still have a runny nose 9 months post chemo and 2 1/2 months post herceptin and perjeta. If your dry cough continues call your oncologist office. I was ridiculously healthy my whole life. I've always exercised, never smoked, minimal drinking and a vegetarian. Stuff happens. Being in good health as you go through this process is a benefit.

• margun
    Options

sugar cake. What is feeder a treatment? If not aghast you referring as a best treatment?thank

• margun
    Options

hi,

My onc BSopted for chimo and then lumpectomy.

They told me that this will help them first how chimo is acting on tumer which sounded logical to me but they are saying tête will not be a scan until the end of chimo which I do not understand how they wanted to follow how Timor is reacting. I have vey voluminous breast and the Tumor is deep inside. I could not feel really initial Timor theffore i and them they cannot know what is going on? Some people with smaller breast can see the difference but I cannot. If someone make me umdetstsnd the logic behind waiting until the end of the scheduled 16 cycles.

Also they said that mx is not required and does not any difference. They planning , but what I heard here the bmx is wiser choice st least do not warty about bc recurring. My breast also bring big It will be difficult to check by miself physicly. Any suggestions? Yhank

• jo6359
    Options

margun- there are so many issues dependent upon type of treatment recommended. Size of tumor, location of tumor, number of tumors, hormone status and if applicable HER2 status and other factors. I'm unable to provide any feedback because you don"t have a hx listed. There are many others on this site who is extremely experienced and if they have adequate information they can provide constructive feedback.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    Options

Margun - I was diagnosed Triple Positive - huge tumor over 6.5 cm - 9 positive nodes. I was only able to have 3 months of Herceptin because I had MAJOR heart issues due to that drug and due to AC. I was so scared - I could not take the miracle drug. My MO sat me down, held my hand in a doctorly fashion, and said that he believed I had enough Herceptin and I was not to worry one minute about it. God knew how much I needed. I thought of his words every day since then and repeated them in my head like a mantra and a prayer.

Truly I didn't think I would live 2 years. Here I am 7.5 years later - I am going strong, feeling great, and continuing to thank God every day for each day of life.

You will too! As for your son's graduation, Taxol and Herceptin are much easier for most people. But as HAPA suggested, do tell your MO about it. By that time you will be familiar with your crash days. They can adjust your schedule so you can be sure and go!!

You can do this! AC is the worst part!!!

• margun
    Options

thank you for your answe

• jo6359
    Options

margun-I found Herceptin and Perjeta to be the easiest part of treatment. Each of us are unique individuals and can experience the same treatment very differently. I had small breasts and never felt my tumors. The location and depth of my tumor had more to do with not being able to feel the tumor as opposed to the size of my breasts. Large breasts might be more problematic. I was hormone negative, so no AC treatments. Prior to my 4th chemo treatment, my doctor gave me permission to go to a conference in Salt Lake City. So my treatment was delayed a week and I was delighted. I'm sure your MO is more than willing to work around your son's graduation if needed.