Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited March 2016

Sonny, yes I'm very aware that chemical compounds can be absorbed through the skin and hair. It's one of the reasons I started Healing Finds after my first bc dx. I guess the little bit of biotin -- which is listed as the 7th ingredient after mostly coconut and coconut oil derivatives -- in a 16 oz. bottle of shampoo I might use 2x/week at most and quickly rinse out, isn't anywhere close to the exposure one would get from a daily oral supplement. But I have to admit, your point certainly crossed my mind, especially if I happened to have any undx'd skull mets. And I don't know where he got it, but I just Googled it and stores like Walgeens and Target come up, as well as on-line sources.

Glad your scan is behind you, Kaption! Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers until you know your results, but also feeling very positive for you!

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited March 2016

Thanks everyone. Sonya, my MO's nurse and I talked when this scan was scheduled and left it as "as long as it's not too complicated" she would call me then release the online write up. And she and I have a good relationship. The other weird thing is that the brain MRI I had March 4 showed that skull met that I don't believe had been mentioned before. I talked with the scan tech this morning and she said they had extra directions to get that area.

I believe I'll hear something by the end of the day, unless it is complicated. This time "no news is not such great news." I almost asked if my RO could notify me. I probably should have done that.

I'm not too overly concerned. I'm already anticipating a treatment change in the next 2-3 months. I'm mentally ready for that.

Enjoying our gorgeous early spring in KC!!

• sonyarizzo
    sonyarizzo Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2016

Kaption prayers going up that it is simple news and your nurse can deliver it to you quickly. I know that waiting can be very difficult.

Dlb823

I'm interested in knowing what healing finds is.

Thanks,

Sonya

• sonyarizzo
    sonyarizzo Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2016

I can't remember if I already asked this. For those of you in faslodex, do you remember your first month when you have to do the shots twice in one month? Did this make any of you feel like a crazy hormonal, emotional wreck? I am crying several time per day(which is totally unlike me) I have zero evergy(which could also be because I am at the end of my first ibrance cycle) but I just do not feel like myself at all!! It almost feels like how I felt when I was pregnant. Just a total mess!! I have been in surgical menopause for almost 3 years and I just turned 40. I have never felt like this before. Anyone else go through this?

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2016

Hello all,

Kaption...praying for great results from your scan. I did make it to Chicago! Whoo hoo! I had a great time! Vitals and blood work were good, but the abdominal pain and rectal bleeding have not subsided. I did not have an external hemorrhoid and my doctor is a bit confused as what is going on, but I have to see a gastroenterologist, but could not get an appointment anywhere in Baltimore until 4/13/16....Argh! Pain only on the right side.

Monika

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2016

Kaption. Waiting with you. Hope it's the end of day there and no news is good news.

I'll see if I can find that shampoo. Not sure if it's Ibrance or xgeva or arimidex but my hair won't behave so I chopped it off.

MD sorry still having bum issues. Mine lasted about a week the first round and then off/on my second round. Glad you had fun in Chicago.

What's BT stand for? I was told no labs this time around as my numbers were good. I always feel better the week I start back, not the week off.

My cold is better. Thanks for asking. Mucinex is a wonderful thing. MOs nurse wasn't concerned.

My little ones are 7 (boy) and almost 4 (girl). Her birthday is this week so mommy cannot be sick. Also soccer practice starting this week. May just bite the bullet and eat fast food a couple of nights. Tonight was frozen pot pies in honor of pie day.

I cannot stand sweet stuff while I'm on Ibrance. I actually crave fish or chicken and veg. I would have rather had some broccoli kale salad tonight than chocolate pie. But watch out the week I'm off. I can eat a whole lemon pie. I was a chocolate girl. Now who knows.

Assuming scans good in April, planning on going to Ireland to visit family for the summer. Just have to time the flights right. I've already asked if there's a vacation override and was told yes. Yippee!

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited March 2016

Kaption waiting with you.

Monika would MO or regular Onco order a sono maybe from the right side? It would alleviate your concerns till you see a GI, and I think it's a perfectly reasonable request from you to them, and for them to prescribe as concerned physicians.

Zillsn Ahh what a cute ages, enjoy!! Hope you feeling better. BT for me is Blood Test. Her onco wants it every week! I asked if it has to be so often, he has concerns with the GRAN and Platelets, they do fluctuate, on one hand of course she'd prefer less BTs but we don't want to take the responsibility.

Marilyn thx for the heads up with the marshmallow.

• arbojenn
    arbojenn Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2016

Question: How long does it take for side effects to show up? I have been on ibrance for 6 days now and so far so good. No side effects yet. Wondering if I can say I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't get them? Thanks.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2016

OMG Sonya, that sounds so fabulous! Have a great time and I hope all that tropical air relieves the stomach trouble, refreshes you and creates some of the best memories ever!

• DC197
    DC197 Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2016

@arbojenn,

I didn't get any side effects from my first cycle of Ibrance until the 3rd week. But you won't get all the side effects, and maybe won't get any. You should be able to deal with any that come.

• dlb823
    edited March 2016

arbojenn, even the most common SEs probably affect no more than 20% of patients taking the drug, and most of them are probably closer to 10%. It's good to be aware of what the possible SEs are, but it seems like so many women start Ibrance just waiting for the SEs to hit -- more than with any other drug I've observed. I suppose I probably did too -- because the list can be alarming when you see them all spelled out. But the most common one is low blood counts, and your onc will be monitoring that. You might be lucky and not get any of the others. Some women don't. Deanna

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2016

What side effects I have/had are minimal. Fatigue is the main one and it's different from other fatigue. It goes hand in hand with your blood counts. That's why my dosage was lowered. And the fatigue didn't hit me until the third week.

Rejoice in your lack of SEs!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2016

I would think the blood tests will diminish once she's on a stable dose. I would be happy with the extra surveillance.

Does she not have a port? Just tell her to have a drinking party the night before:) I only let my breast cancer nurses stick me. They get it in one go with little pain and practically no bruising.

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2016

Kaption praying for super good results.

Take care

• Kaption
    edited March 2016

Thanks, everyone. Still waiting. I'm really pretty calm about it. As I said I'm ready for the news of treatment change within a few months. The only real shocker would be if mets had moved to organs, and I have no symptoms of that. So, I wait pretty calmly and patiently. Get to have lunch with my daughter and grandson today. So, doing well.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2016

Kaption--Waiting here too. I had a CT scan of chest/ab/pelvis on March 1st and my MO called 2 days later and told me everything looked great. I've never had mets anywhere but in my spine. So I also had a spine MRI a week ago yesterday March 7th, and I have not heard a thing. Yesterday afternoon I called asking for the results but I didn't get a call back. I'm a very calm person but now this is starting to bother me. I have a scheduled appointment next Tuesday but 2 weeks is a long time to wait and hear about scan results.

So, doing distracting things sounds like a good plan!

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2016

Waiting here too! Scans last week and just left my 2nd message. We can all wait together!! Hugs to you all!!

• Kaption
    edited March 2016

Lots of waiters! Maybe all our onc are at a very important conference!

Seriously, hugs and prayers for all.

• masonsmawmaw
    masonsmawmaw Member Posts: 119
    edited March 2016

Hi Ladies!

As patience has never been one of my better virtues, I ALWAYS go and pick up a copy of my scan results the same day or the day after my scan. I just have to go to the radiology desk, sign a form, and presto, it is printed out and given to me. Maybe this isn't permissible in all states, but here at home, I'm told since I'm paying for it (insurance), I'm entitled to it. I can't stand waiting for someone to call me with results and I'm pretty good at deciphering the medical jargon so I probably know what's going on before my MO does! Just thought I would share for those of you that are still waiting....

Have a beautiful and blessed day :)

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited March 2016

So blood tests are back for Dani, platelets are 70, she had them lower already like 50, anyway she is on 100mg now, and doc will let us know, he is thinking she should not restart tom as she would have, but to wait 2 more days and then start. Yes the lymphocytes absolute are very low and neutrophils but he's more concerned about the platelets.

But Deanna, i was trying to understand what you mentioned about the UCLA doc. Do you know if they would wait for the platelets to come up also and then restart the Ibr?

Ellelou this is definitely a lack of respect for a Human being. No reason to get results 2 wks later in the USA in a major city. They have the results in no time as Masonsma says. Of course one could give a little room in different ways that different places do their stuff, but knowing that people are anxiously for results and ignore it, it's wrong. Also, you could definitely call the place that you took the MRI and they will fax it to you. Maybe you have to fax them first a release form, but you are entitled to it. First they like to send it to the doc, (but for sure they would have sent it by now) so they should send it to you. Good luck!! Or you could always really make them crazy at the doc's office. I am w Masonsma on this one. My sister took a brain MRI awhile back, and then there was weekend holiday, and she did not know the results for 3 awful days. It was good, so the "biggie" Neuro surgeon did not think necessary alleviate her concerns as long as He knew what's going on. Good luck.

• AnimalCrackers
    AnimalCrackers Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2016

Has anyone experienced incessant eye watering? I have had some watery eye symptoms recently and now my right eye won't stop watering and tears keep running down my face. I saw something in the thread for Faslodex and Ibrance and I'll go back and look closer at that but was wondering if anyone in this thread has heard of this as a side effect of Ibrance.

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited March 2016

AnimalCrackers, I sure do have the eye watering. It seems worse in the morning, right after I put on my make-up. Grrr… I'm on Ibrance/Aromasin so I do think it's the Ibrance.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited March 2016

Animalcrackers, I also have eye watering. Never had it before Ibrance

• Kaption
    edited March 2016

For all those waiting with me...had communication with the nurse and she said all the report language sounds stable to her. Yay! If, when onc returns, she sees something more they will contact me. Otherwise, regular appointment on the 28th. Whew! Thanks for all the prayers.

Hope everyone gets good news!!

• dlb823
    edited March 2016

WooHoo, Kaption!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic news!!!!!!

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited March 2016

Yay Kaption!!!!!

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited March 2016

Oh, Kaption - So glad to hear!!! I wonder if you could elaborate on something you posted awhile back? I think you mentioned that your RO said they don't like to change treatments too soon and instead wait until something becomes 50% less effective? Am I remembering that right? Just wondered if you know what they might gauge that 50% on in your practice? I'm curious because I've been asking in my own MO office what the protocol would be if my markers had a trending rise since mine appear to be accurate. Enjoy your night and doing the happy dance here for you!

• Kaption
    edited March 2016

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, Moissy-that was an a-ha moment for me. You remember correctly. He said they would wait until the current treatment is considered 50% less effective. (Compared to it he best it did, I guess.)At this point, I don't know exactly what those guidelines would be, but I assume it would mean looking at TMs and total up takes on scans and possibly my own pain indicator numbers. I might guess the scan uptake numbers would be most important and accurate.

My overall uptake number this time almost identical to last time, while some lesions were "higher" and some were "lower."

His point being, you don't stop a treatment at the first sign that it's becoming less potent.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2016

Re the question a few posts ago: Yes, my onc said that irritated, watering eyes is now a recognized Ibrance side effect.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2016

Fantastic news Kaption!!!