Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited May 2016

Moissy, she said it would be Faslodex only. My understanding is that Faslodex + Ibrance is first first line treatment.

Just read an article about clinical trials on abemaciclib. If I understand it correctly, it can be taken after Ibrance. It's a pill too, but apparently you don't have to have a recovery week. Hope these hopeful ideas keep coming!

• Kaption
    edited May 2016

Moissy, she said it would be Faslodex only. My understanding is that Faslodex + Ibrance is first first line treatment.

Just read an article about clinical trials on abemaciclib. If I understand it correctly, it can be taken after Ibrance. It's a pill too, but apparently you don't have to have a recovery week. Hope these hopeful ideas keep coming!

• lalady1
    lalady1 Member Posts: 530
    edited May 2016

Kaption - rooting for a good scan. You have been through enough, but hoping adding faslodex is a magic bullet for you. Please keep us posted. Phrogger - you go girl! Keep shrinking those nodes. So nice to read good news. Are you feeling ok on this combo? I'm hoping for a burst of energy soon, and will start round #6 on Thursday. Still working and smiling. :)

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited May 2016

Here's a little news blurb about Abemaciclib with a comparison to Pablociclib. Looks interesting. More real options ladies! Thanks Kaption.

I ended fourth 3 week cycle on Ibrance yesterday. My hands are tingling with pin pricks, especially the ends of my fingers. My skin is thin and fragile. It's been an issue moving this week. I tore up my hands with a casual bump on the truck door and had to stop helping. The cut I have burns and is yellow and pussy. I have a hang nail that particularly stings.

Is this a side effect? Does it have a name? Hope it goes away now that I am off Ibrance for a week. If not, I will go off some other supplements and stuff I am on. I can barely type.

I moved into a 3 story walk up with a garage on the bottom floor. I would call that a long term commitment to regular exercise.

>Z<

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited May 2016

Kaption, I'm also waiting for the next scan to say whether I stay on Ibrance + letrozole, or switch to faslodex. I keep forgetting to ask my onc if she is thinking of staying with Ibrance or not if I switch. Is the clinical trial your onc has in mind the abemaciclib?

Zarovka, I hope you have reported to your onc about the skin problems, etc. Sometimes I think that Ibrance gives me remembrance of the taxol neuropathy. In other words, it may not be staying quite as gone as it was. It's subtle. The Ibrance side effects list says peripheral neuropathy up to 13%.

Phrogger, I'm happy to hear your good report!

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited May 2016

Zar hope that cut is better. Sounds infected. I'm sure you've been treating it. I put antibacterial ointment on everything when it's noticed. It's good for hangnails. Pesky things.

Rose. Loose most mornings now. It does get better but I must keep up with magnesium and prunes or go the other way fast. Appears arimidex SE is stronger than Ibrance SE. Belly will cramp without much relief if I'm not consistent with the supplements. Unfortunately get too tired at night and only hurt myself if I don't take them. With young children in the house, everything stays locked up and out of sight.

I'm finishing round 5 at 100. Would love to drop to 75 and had good scans but onc not on board. It would be just for the fatigue.

Will be flying to Ireland for the summer. Will look into compression socks. Have a glove and sleeve. Will be third summer there (In laws there) but first on Ibrance. No issues before with flying. Drink lots and move.

Good luck everyone!

• Kaption
    edited May 2016

Shetlandpony, I hope you get good news on your scan. At this point, I'm hoping for a clear direction. Opened the TM count info from yesterday on my online info late last night: another quite large increase. I'm about 90% over my low TM after starting Ibrance.

I don't believe MO has a specific trial in mind and I don't know that KU med is involved ine abemaciclib. I would think she'd want to give Faslodex a try first. Went through Ibrance a little too quickly. If I do change, it will have given me one year.

Z, I echo other comments- be very careful of an infection! My fingers are not numb like on taxol, but I do seem to drop things more often than normal.

• zarovka
    edited May 2016

Is there any treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy or do you just soldier through it. Pin pricks better this morning but there is this "remembrance".

I've tried to take care of the cut but the regular triple antibiotic for cuts burns and irritates the cut. I have a sulphur based cut care ointment that I got in Peru. Not sure how effective it is but it is not irritating the cut. This is all very weird and new for me.

Let me know if you have any experience.

Exhausted as well these days. Helps a lot to move, but the prospect of moving is not welcome.

Kaption, Shetland - I am very interested in how you and your oncologist make the decision whether to switch treatments and how you decide what to switch to.

>Z<

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited May 2016

Phrogger- great news on the Ibrance working so well. May it last a LONG time!

Kaption- good luck on the scans and trying to decide what next. I am waiting to see if Ibrance works or not. Kind of in the same boat.. faslodex not doing enough. The side effects are ok so far. No more diarrhea and just having problems sleeping and staying asleep even with ambien.

Hi to all and may you have a good day!

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited May 2016

Rosevalley and Kaption - hope scans and updated treatments produce good results for you both! It seems like SOMETHING should work!!! Is it selfish to want years of success with some of these new drugs?

Shetland - Sending positive energy to you...hope the Ibrance is effective!

Zarovka - the pin pricks are a regular occurrence for me on the 100 mg dose. Better than 125, but still noticeable. All those stairs...yikes!!!

Phrogger - So good to hear this protocol is working well for you. Hoping you can years out of it!

Zillsnot4me - Ireland sounds like a wonderful way to spend the summer!! Safe travels!

Question for the group...has anyone worked with Pfizer as an ambassador? Looking for your opinions on doing something like this.

Thanks!

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2016

Hi ladies;

I'm crossing my fingers for good scans results for you.

MO from university of Miami just wrote stating that my next treatment is going to be Zelda.

MO from Costa Rica wants to add faslodex. I don't know if I will stay on ibrance as he wants to talk to me personally.

I also don't have to go Florida for now.

Hugs

• Batfax
    Batfax Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2016

After 8 months of success with Taxol, my wife has started having mixed results--some tumors lighting up in the liver (although others are dying down), and new lymph nodes are lighting up in the neck and abdomen. So, both of my wife's oncologists agree that it's time to switch to Femara and Ibrance. I probably won't post much/at all, but I appreciate those who do--it's very helpful.

• worktowin
    worktowin Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016

check panfoundation.org for financial assistance.

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited May 2016

News: http://abstracts.asco.org/176/AbstView_176_165131....

PALOMA-2: Primary results from a phase III trial of palbociclib (P) with letrozole (L) compared with letrozole alone in postmenopausal women with ER+/HER2– advanced breast cancer (ABC).

Sub-category:
    ER+

Category:
    Breast Cancer—HER2/ER

Meeting:
    2016 ASCO Annual Meeting

Abstract No:

Citation:
    J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr 507)

Author(s): Richard S. Finn, Miguel Martin, Hope S. Rugo, Stephen E. Jones, Seock-Ah Im, Karen A. Gelmon, Nadia Harbeck, Oleg N. Lipatov, Janice Maria Walshe, Stacy L. Moulder, Eric Roland Gauthier, Dongrui (Ray) Lu, Sophia Randolph, Véronique Diéras, Dennis J. Slamon; David Geffen School of Medicine, Santa Monica, CA; Hospital Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain; University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA; US Oncology Research, and The Woodlands, The Woodlands, TX; Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea; BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada; Brustzentrum der Universität München (LMU), Munich, Germany; State Budget Medical Institution, Republican Clinical Oncology, Ufa, Russian Federation; Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Ireland; The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; Pfizer Inc, La Jolla, CA; Pfizer Inc, San Diego, CA; Institut Curie, Paris, France; University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA

Abstract Disclosures

Abstract:

Background: Hormonal therapy (HT) is the mainstay for patients (pts) with ER+ BC. P, a cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 inhibitor, blocks growth of ER+/HER2– BC preclinical models. In PALOMA-1, an open-label Ph 2 trial, addition of P to L improved median PFS vs L alone (20.2 months [mo] vs 10.2 mo) in pts with first-line ER+/HER2– ABC with acceptable safety, leading to accelerated FDA approval. PALOMA-2 is a randomized double-blind Ph 3 trial designed to confirm these results.

Methods: 666 postmenopausal pts with no prior systemic therapy for ABC were randomized 2:1 to receive P (oral 125 mg/d; 3 wks on/1 wk off) + L (2.5 mg/d continuously) or PLB + L every 28 days until disease progression, consent withdrawal or death. Pts were stratified by disease site, disease-free interval from end of (neo)adjuvant therapy, and prior HT (yes/no). Primary endpoint: investigator-assessed PFS; key secondary endpoints: overall survival (OS), objective response rate (ORR), clinical benefit rate (CBR=CR + PR + SD ≥24 wks), patient-reported outcomes and safety. Tumor assessments were every 12 wks. 347 events were needed with 90% power to detect a hazard ratio (HR) ≤0.69 in favor of P+L (1-sided α=0.025).

Results: By 26 Feb 2016, 331 PFS events occurred. Baseline characteristics were well balanced. Median PFS was 24.8 mo (P+L) vs 14.5 mo (PLB+L) (HR=0.58 [0.46–0.72], P<0.000001). ORR was improved with P+L (42.1% vs 34.7%, P=0.031; 55.3% vs 44.4% in pts with measurable disease [P=0.013]). CBR was 84.9% vs 70.3% (P<.0001). Common adverse events (AEs; all grades) with P+L vs PLB+L were neutropenia (79.5% vs 6.3%), fatigue (37.4% vs 27.5%), nausea (35.1% vs 26.1%), arthralgia (33.3% vs 33.8%) and alopecia (32.9% vs 15.8%). Most common severity seen was G3 for neutropenia (56.1%) and G1 for the other AEs. Febrile neutropenia was seen only with P+L (2.5%). Permanent discontinuation due to AEs was 9.7% (P+L) vs 5.9% (PLB+L). OS data are immature; final OS analysis is pending.

Conclusion: PALOMA-2 expands and confirms the significant clinical benefit and safety of P+L in ER+/HER2– ABC pts who had not received prior systemic therapy for their advanced disease. Clinical trial information: NCT01740427

xxx

My note:

Improved PFS on on Ibrance plus Letrazole vs. Placebo plus Letrazole - 24.8 months vs. 14.5 months.

More adverse events on Ibrance plus Letrazole though.

Still no word on OS (overall survival).

Healing regards, Stephanie

• zarovka
    edited May 2016

Tribe Ibrance welcomes you and your wife, Batfax. May you be with us for a long time. It's a good option when it works.

Thank you stephanie. I appreciate it that you post the relevant results of your extensive reading of the literature. I don't have time to chase that stuff.

>Z<

• Yayama
    Yayama Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016

Rosevalley

I joined this group just to tell you that you can't take Reglan with breast cancer. Read it on the pharmacy papers that came with prescriptions. I've been taking it for years for car sickness since I moved to the mtns. Maybe that's why my breast cancer was diagnosed stage1/4. I've tried everything. My pharmacist said the real pot works better than my chemical pot but it's not legal hear. Tsp of yellow mustard works best. I Googled it.

• Kaption
    edited May 2016

Hi All,

Just a note that after TMs and a PET my MO and I have decided to move on to Faslodex only. I won't get into the long details, but it was not clear cut and we had to decide together. I might have squeezed another couple of months out of Ibrance, but we knew the change was coming soon anyway.

There is a clinical trial involving Faslodex combined with another drug that U. Of Kansas Med center is doing with Vanderbilt. She is checking to see if I qualify for that.

Ibrance gave me a full year, and really I felt pretty well except the past 2 months. I've been pretty wiped out. So, I'm sort of looking forward to more energy and better blood counts even if it means a sore bottom.

This is a great, supportive, positive group. Thank you all!! I know several of you are also on Faslodex- so see you around!

Have a great holiday weekend.

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2016

Wishing you all the best Kaption! Hoping Faslodex does what it needs to and you feel better and stronger on it!

• lalady1
    edited May 2016

Hi Kaption my KS friend - rooting for Faslodex to be your magic bullet! Hoping your fatigue improves quickly. I hope you have some nice summer plans too. I just had round #6 of fas shots yesterday at UCLA. No pain, it goes in slowly, so make sure yours is warmed up. Please join us on fas/ibrance board. Happy thoughts.

Claire

• phrogger78
    phrogger78 Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2016

Lalady1, I am feeling pretty good on the combo. I have some side effects (muscle and joint pain, fatigue etc) but they are completely manageable. I don't let it interfere too much in my life, but there days like yesterday, where I had the ability to sleep all day so I did. I can live like this for a LONG time if it keeps working for me. The pain isn't too bad and seems to get better the more I walk around, but again, not too bad, I can manage.

• lalady1
    edited May 2016

Phrogger - that is so good to hear - glad you are moving around better! How are your lungs doing? Any effusions? I'm hoping #100 will give me less fatigue. My lung nodule disappeared, but had left lung drained (again) today. It's my monthly nemesis. Just back from UCLA with no traffic. lol

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited May 2016

Yayama- Reglan is hopefully temporary. Because of the cancer infiltrating my bowels and delaying emptying of my stomach it is necessary in my case. Reglan can cause some pretty nasty side effects and I have already gotten slammed with depression. Luckily no TD since you can't get rid of that. It's dose dependent and I am trying to cut back to the bare minimum. The increase in cancer is small. Puking and having nothing move through your gut is awful too. So I muddle through. Hoping the Ibrance works for a while. Pot tincture does help with nausea but not for bowel motility. I am lucky it's legal here and we can buy the tincture CBD oil from pot. You put the drops under your tongue and the nausea goes away. Works great. No high just relief.

Everyone have a great weekend.

• LovesMaltese
    LovesMaltese Member Posts: 551
    edited May 2016
    Hello. I took a couple weeks off from the boards. Wanted to report that I am half way through cycle 8 and just got stable and healing bone met news yesterday. I have neuropathy big time from Ibrance. MO rx'd gabepentin 100 3x a day 2 weeks ago. After a week I am a born again normal person. I had the burning pain in my back, pins and needles come and go in different areas but the burning pain I was convinced was progression. It was neuropathy. I'm 63 almost 64 so that was a SE for me that many do not have. It usually is in hands and feet.

Also was told by MO at Dana that if you fail on Ibrance new trial drug that just came off of trial would not be next choice. But can be revisited again after for example a chemo drug.

Also she will not take me off of xgeva not even for a little break.

I am one of the ones that got 5 months on 125. 1 complete month on 100. Another 2 weeks on 100 and had to stop. Now I am on 75 and numbers half way point are great. Hoping this continues to work on this lower dose. I hope I can be on it for 30 more years.

Carol
  • phrogger78
    phrogger78 Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2016

I never had any symptoms of there being anything in my lungs, so no effusion, no pain, a had a cough for about 8 weeks but it subsided before I even got my lung biopsy done so I think the cough was viral. I have been pretty lucky that my stage 4 dx came before I was even symptomatic.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited May 2016

kaption, I got 3 1/2 years on Faslodex before moving on. Great drug for me. Ihope you have many successful years with it.

Stefanie

• zarovka
    edited May 2016

LovesMaltese -

Congratulations on stable/healing bone mets!

What were the scans showing earlier?

Many people, including me, are trying to get a sense of how long it can take before Ibrance kicks in.

>Z<

• LovesMaltese
    edited May 2016

Zar- I was diagnosed in Octobet 2015 with mets to illiac, femur, thoratic spine and ribs. I started letrozole/Ibrance and had rads to one rib, illiac and femur. after Rod insertion My first scan started out showing stable and it wasn't until my April scan that finally showed healing in the thoratic spine where they did not radiate. Scans this month showed more healing in thoratic spine but caution

to watch there. Radiologist report also commented on lung in cat scan. I looked up this word. It means partial lung collapse. Reason for partial lung collapse when googling could be from holding your breath. I laughed as when they do the chest CT they say take a breath....hold it ... now breathe! The last CT they noted some other thing last this time and was not mentioned this time. That's the radiologists job I guess. Nevertheless, l was thrilled. I have always had stable scanssince starting Ibrance. My bc came back to bone only and after 18 years of remission.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited May 2016

Lovesmaltese- stable is wonderful. Celebrate!!!! May you stay on Ibrance for a VERY long time!

• zarovka
    edited May 2016

LovesMaltese -

Thanks so much for sharing the details of your diagnosics. I am interested in what you are going to do about the partial lung collapse. They found that in my CT scan as well.

I have one possible bone met to my sternum. It shows up only in PET scans and not in a CT or bone scan. It may be a false positive or it may be that the PET scan was more sensitive. We haven't biopsied because if the biopsy comes back positive for cancer, it does not change the treatment plan. (I have biopsy proven mets to my liver.)

My tumors have decreased in size since I started Ibrance/Letrozol in February. The exception is this little blip of hypermetabolic activity in my sternum. Either it is not cancer, or it is not responding quickly to the protocol. From my reading it seems that bone mets can take longer to respond.

>Z<

• LovesMaltese
    edited May 2016

Hi Z, my oncologist didn't even mention the lung thing to me, therefore I believe it is because I held my breath exactly like they told me to do. Remember radiologists report possible indication that you just farted too. :)

As far as pet scans Dana Farber does not use or do pet scans with my situation. Too many false positives. All my information for determining stability etc are from cat compared to bone scan.

Hugs Carol