Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited May 2017

Cure-ious - First, I wanted to check my numbers and terms, as there there are a bunch of Ibrance trials with different PFS. The gold standard was the Paloma-2 Phase III trial, the median PFS for women treated with IBRANCE plus letrozole was 24.8 months (95% CI, 22.1-not estimable) compared with 14.5 months (95% CI, 12.9-17.1) for women treated with letrozole plus placebo (HR=0.58 [95% CI, 0.46-0.72], p<0.001).

So we're talking median PFS and half the women went beyond 24.8 months. We have a ways to go to be exceptional responders and blow the median PFS out of the water, but that's a good thing.

I have seen posts in other forums from people 4 and 5 years into this treatment. Maybe a couple members at 24 months or so in this forum, but not frequent many posters. It came out almost exactly 2 years ago.

Hang in there with the scans. I can only say its great to have them behind you.

>Z<

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited May 2017

Lillymillie, welcome! This is an amazingly warm, knowledgeable, and supportive group. You will be among friends who understand and wish you the very best. Good luck on your journey. I, too, recently started Ibrance [early March] (and Faslodex and Xgeva) and am just starting my third course with first scans on the 15th. Hoping for the best.

Grannax, well done on getting the medications worked out!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited May 2017

Cure-ious, I am on cycle 24 of Ibrance/ Letrozole/ Xgeva and doing very well. Tumor markers stable, blood counts steady on 100mg since second month. Recent scans show sclerotic lesions on bones and all else clear. Muscle and joint pain and stiffness are a daily occurrence, fatigue comes and goes in phases. Still have all my hair, although it has thinned some. Hoping to get a long time on this combo, to me it's been a miracle drug.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,039
    edited May 2017

Pfizer has been running this study all around the country for years, the NIH lists official early release before the end of phase three here in the US in early February 2015,due to great successes in the efficacy. But only the U.S. Nothing outside of the US, I believe the project manager told me, when I spoke to him about ibrance for Wendy. The first trial rolled out in late 2009, Paloma 1,Which was super secret and blinded so much even the doctors didn't know what the patient was receiving. That phase went for over two years because it was the first trial set out and they wanted to establish out of the gate a medicine medium time line of success. Which is where the 22-24 month time frame came from, because the initial trial was the proforma and guideline setter for how long the ibrance when effective could possibly work for a patient. When It became clear after phase one that, this was a game changer. They had already had phase two (end of 2011 & 2012) fully booked and starting in tandem with the first ending and moved as fast as they could to compile the data to get FDA approval for accelerated release. Trial Paloma2 ended and the results were staggering and alongside of the ending of phase two, mid 2013-Paloma 3 (phase) was also fully booked (with a waiting list for adverse side effected patients who dropped out because of side effects and tolerances), stopped blinding early (2014) in the trial itself because the results were so overwhelmingly good for ER POSITIVE cancer, that they pushed it to the distribution companies for packaging and immediate release in 2015.The actual phase 3 was still being compiled as they went to file to have it accelerated for release (2014)I know it sounds like a long time, but for drug companies from first phase to distribution into actual patient hands is actually pretty amazing. Slightly after the trials all started to end and was approved here. I started seeing billings of shortened term clinical trials set up in other countries being over seen by the Pfizer corps in let's say U.K. AND Canada, Singapore, Thailand, the only problem that Pfizer faced there was each country had different guidelines and SOP's that they must follow (standard operating procedures) the regulations are what hold up the drugs from being in the patient hands. In other words red tape! Many many women who went on this phase one trial got very sick, they had several things that had to be changed for this pill to be able to be as fully tolerated by us lucky women who take it today. I thank those special ladies that stepped up and took that medicine so we here could have a chance at progression free time frames alongside with the Letrozoles and anastrazoles. The statstics in out lying third world countries and the alarming amount of women who die from MBC, because they don't have any acces to even letrozole no less this amazing medicine we have called ibrance. The only thing I believe that Pfizer needs to regulate, for this medicine now, is the sky rocketing prices. The pharmacies also have a hand in the drugs pricing issues. did you ever notice your prescription labels vary for pricing? If you purchased that same medicine without insurance? The price is lower? Then the insurance pricing for the same medicine if it is covered, is three times the amount charged With insurance coverage to the company's itself . It is so in demand, that they can get away with it. The entire clinical process is really something to behold. How this medicine reaches our front door step is a miracle in itself and it takes years and years! The problem is the pricing when the insurance company and pharma companies try to make the money off of medicine keeping people alive! Always keeping youall in prayer. ~M~

• kim1961
    kim1961 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017

Hi all,

I am new to this and still so scared regardless of all the information I have been gathering to prepare myself.

I was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer, metasticized to my spine, femurs, and hip bones.

Small lesion on my skull, tiny masses in my liver. It has been tested to be ER+ / HER2-

I am on round 3 out of 5 radiation therapy for my femur/hip/spine. The pain in my leg is bad enough that I am currently wheelchair bound. The pain is still the same after 3 rounds so far, I just want the pain in my leg to be gone so I can start walking again!

Once this radiation therapy session is over, they asked if I wanted to participate in a trial with letrozole (already prescribed and taking) with a new clinical trial called Ribociclib.

I did some reading and found that this drug is "not so new" as it has been approved by the FDA, but the problem is I live in Canada and it is still seeking approval from Health Canada. My family prefers I go on Ibrance which has approval from both FDA and Canada but I believe Ibrance is not covered by any drug programs in Canada.

Has anybody have experience with Ribociclib or have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you so much, prayers to all.

Hee

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2017

Lynwood, Wonderful to hear you are still chugging away at two years, and completely stable on the 100mg dose! It's one thing to know the trial averages, but so much better to have someone here showing us that it can be done- you must have started on Ibrance right after the FDA approved it!

MicMel1 thanks so much for that incredible history. I know Ibrance went through in record pace, and so if there are any more blockbuster drugs coming down the pike, we know what to watch for in terms of how quickly they can race through the clinical trials. You should write a book...

Welcome to Lillymille and Hee, you will learn everything you need to know about Ibrance (and life) on these forums

Well said as always, Z, scans are a poop

• Scwilly
    Scwilly Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2017

Welcome to all new members. I'm only on my third round but am very happy so far. I would say I don't have too much side effects. (which strangely can sometimes feel worrying!) My white blood cells have gone down, but not too far and so not (yet) a concern. I have less stamina because of that but make sure I rest when I over do it. I have felt indigestion if I take Ibrance with my food - so usually do so after I have finished my meal. My aches and pains I put that down to the Arimidex, though I do have arthritis. My tumor markers have never been a good indicator for me, but my liver markers have gone back to normal so I am trusting this is a great sign I am stable, and xing fingers my CT Scan next Monday confirms this. All in all, I am very happy to be on this regime - and hope to continue as long as I can.

Lynnewood - you give me inspiration to feel positive about the future knowing you have been on Ibrance for so many cycles.

Lillymille: so happy to hear that a fellow brit has access, albeit through private care. I am from Bristol but now in SoCal. I was not happy to hear NICE had not yet included it in their recommend treatments. I am hoping this will change as time goes on and as other similar treatments, eg Ribociclib, become available.

• zarovka
    edited May 2017

Kim - ribociclib and palbociclib (Ibrance) are almost exactly the same. If you can get ribociclib through a trial, and not any other way, i would go for it. somewhere in here i have posted an ibrance vs ribociclib comparison as far as side effects go. With ribociblib you get more gastric distress, with ibrance you get a slam to your immune system. Efficacy is very similar.

We don't have a lot of people on ribociclib on this forum, but you are welcome to hang out here. We are very interested in how you do.

>Z<

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited May 2017

Just had my petscan on Friday after about 4 months on Faslodex and Ibrance. My markers are down and I've had some regression. There was about 1 1/2 months between my last petscan and actually getting on the meds during which my markers rose so pretty sure there was progression just not sure exactly what. So, being smaller and with less uptake than on that November scan feels like a win!

• Nanaof5
    Nanaof5 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017

Thanks for your feedback. The tumor marker bloodwork is a blessing and a curse! I'm having a hard time finding people who have lung mets as bone and liver seem to be the more common locations. After two rounds on Ibrance I'd hoped to stop coughing but that hasn't happened yet and with the rising CA tumor marker bloodwork I can't help but ask "is Ibrance working for me." Onc says its way to early to think that way and that it does work for 80% of patients.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited May 2017

Hi Nana of 5, I'm also a Nana but of 10. I also have lung mets only. You're right that most here have bone or liver mets but there are a few of us here. It takes awhile for the Ibrance to show some results, sometimes as long as 5-6 months. So, for you it might be a little early to see results. I was coughing a lot too and my MO really wanted to get that under control so he prescribed a cough medicine, cheritussin. That stopped it pretty well but constipation was a problem. I'm not sure why he was so anxious to get the cough stopped.

My first scan after three months showed improvement and I'm still improving and am now on rd.#17. So, hang in there it will most probably get better soon. Good luck!

It would help all of us to answer your questions better if you fill out your profile and make it public. That puts things in context.

Keeping all in prayer.

• Lillymillie
    Lillymillie Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2017

thank you for the warm welcome. This is a really interesting thread. So much information on it. I have been more of a lurker with nothing much to add but feel like I really need to keep up to date and learn from you ladies.

Pat - yes my onc has me on monthly xgeva with 4 ad-cal tablets a day. Zoladex for my ovaries. I would really love to have a 'remarkable' response after 3 months. That is encouraging to hear.

Micmel - thanks and yes scanxiety is the worse. We are all familiar which how hideous it feels but hopefully you will have positive results.

Zarovka - you are a fountain of knowledge! Amazing results on your scans. I start on paloma 3 version I suppose. I have bone mets and a small amount of fluid causing my no issues in my pluera. The median time on this is 9 months I think which doesn't seem long compared to the 22 months on your combo. I hope for longer.

Joyner- good to have someone on same combo. Best of luck for the 15th. Hoping for a positive response!

Cure-ious- thanks for the support, lotshirt of good advice here.

Scwilly - I'm annoyed it took so long to get ibrance approved here but grateful if can start it. It would have been good to have it as a first line treatment when I have limited bone mets. I have had a little progression since. After a couple of failed hormone treatments chemo did the trick.

Nbnotes- that is great news. My onc ignore tumour markers. He has found themy too unreliable so he just scans.

Faith - good to hear u are still approving. Hoping it dries you my pluera situation!

You guys all seem to know a bit more than they tell us in UK. We don't do tumour markers. My onc says they are unreliable so he scans every 3 months for actual images to tell the story. I don't know how much er I am. I was 8/8 originally but now I have failed arimidex and aromain I wonder am I weaker in er for such a crappy response??? Will this determine my response to ibrance? Hard to know. Side effects day 2 were rash on feet now gone and today day 5 was very stingy lips...better now. Also I'm so worried to plan my summer holiday with all this uncertainly. I live for my travel adventures.it would be sad if I didn't get at least an a stable scan at 3 months. I live for my travels with my family.

• micmel
    edited May 2017

Hee~ if you go to the Pfizer website itself,they have a co pay coupon for ibrance for people who cannot afford it. My medicine costs 11383.00 a month supply so it is incredibly expensive. But Pfizer does have programs that assist patients. You just have to have a prescription. When I worked for the distribution company that dealt with some of the blistering and packaging of the medicine,. They always advertised the financial help that they had. It helped a lot of people. They also have it in the U.K. I am sure. Hope you get on the treatment you would want to be on! ~M~

• dancingdiva
    dancingdiva Member Posts: 317
    edited May 2017

Kim I'm from Canada. My onc /hospital dealt with Pfizer directly ( they had to fill out paperwork) and then Pfizer called me. They worked it out with my work insurance. It had to be my 1st line of treatment for MBC though.

I have finally read all these pages and am astonished at the knowledge in here. I have just put my 2 kids to bed and just want to hit the sack. I still work full time, although I question why I do. It's more of a distraction than anything else.

How many of u have had ur ovaries removed? Ovary suppression? My onc says I don't need it but then why do people do it?

• carpe_diem
    carpe_diem Member Posts: 599
    edited May 2017

Kim,

Ribociclib (Kisqali) is another CDK 4/6 inhibitor like Palbociclib (Ibrance). I recently progressed on Abraxane after multiple other regimens since 2011 and my oncologist recommended Ibrance plus letrozole. However, I'd been following the progress of Ribociclib since my husband was employed by Novartis before he retired and our retiree insurance (BC/BS) covers Novartis drugs for free. My cost for Ibrance would have been about $75 for 21 days through Accredo pharmacy, so my doc checked to see if I'd be approved for Kisqali even though it's only approved as a first line treatment. I started last week so I can't tell if it's working, but so far I'm feeling fine - certainly a lot easier than Abraxane and incredibly superior to Xeloda.

The stats for Ribociclib really look a lot like Ibrance, so go for it if the price is right.

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2017

Hi Nano5, my mets are to my lungs as well. I have been on Ibrance for 19 months and am doing well. Give the ibrance some time.

Dancing diva, I had to have my ovaries removed before I could start on letrozole and ibrance. My MO said i had to be in menopause before i could start the current treatment. Is your doctor suppressing your ovaries?

• nextmoondance
    nextmoondance Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2017

Hi group, decided to introduce myself. I'm at the end of my second week of my second cycle of Ibrance and lotrozole. I was stage IV de novo on 3/17 and started one week later on this treatment. At first I was scared because my surgeon had been telling me to be aggressive about mastectomies, chemo and radiation, but after I met my MO and started researching, I'm glad I decided on this route. My Ibrance is $10,960 a month, but I have BCBS and they pay 100% now that I have met my out of pocket maximum for the year.

In the first cycle, I had really bad fatigue, sleeping up to 16 hours a day, while trying to work full time and care for my adopted 13 yo girl. This last week, I ran out of my Paxil and decided just to deal with things until I could see what difference it made. Wow, my energy has returned with a passion, but so has my crying jags! I may ask about starting Effexor 37.5 next visit with my MO. He is amazing, but he is just a baby (but soooooo intelligent and plugged in). He just started with the group last July and did his residency studies on Ibrance. I know its the lotrozole causing the mood swings, crying and hot flashes, so I hope Effexor might help. Just unsure about when it's time to stop it.

I supplement with a probiotic, L-Lysine, Spirulilna, Zantac, Zyrtec and Flonase. I only had N and V one night and I think I did not eat enough when I took the Ibrance, so they called in enough Compazine and Pherergan to choke a horse! I only take that at night now along with Valium 10 mg so I get a good night's sleep. Vertigo has been a big issue with me going back to an ear infection when I was 18, so the Compazine and Valium go a long way in helping me function every day.

I have three large tumors in my right breast, three nodes in my axilla, several nodes in my hilum, lots of mets in both lungs and two small skin mets. The amazing thing is my cough has completely cleared and my first skin mets has shrunk by half just after my first cycle. My BW is great even after the first round, so my MO moved me to once a month checks until he is ready to scan me in about six weeks. Other than my fatigue, I feel great. If I feel tired, I take a nap. Since I work from home, that helps a lot :)

I adopted my granddaughter in 2010 and this is hitting her hard, but I'm lucky we are very close and she trusts me to be honest with her and protect her in whatever is going to happen. I've been through the grief and anger cycles and now I'm in acceptance, so that helps her deal with things better too. She is enrolled in a therapeutic riding stable and has great emotional and spiritual support there too.

I really do appreciate all the info you ladies have shared. You have NO idea how helpful this group has been in helping me work through this diagnosis. I was given a prognosis of 2-3 years, but Kristina graduates in five years. This damn drug better give me that time, haha! If not there are other things in the works and I believe in Him and where he wants me to be.

Carol

• zarovka
    edited May 2017

Gracie - I believe that you reported awesome scans .. wahoo. You are right that is an impressive response in just a short time.

Lilly - Tumor markers are challenging. For some people a consistent rise over time seems to predict progression; however for others they mean nothing. It takes a while to figure out if and how to use them. Let's compare my last TM results and with my scan results.

My scan results from the end of April suggest significant improvement since my last scan in December. However, he TMs from the blood work I did the same week of my scan showed that CEA (4ng/mL) and CA 27.29 (53 U/mL) are up more than 30%. Although my TM's have never been super high, they are now the highest they have been. So I just had great scans and increased tumor markers .... unless you look at CA 15-3.

CA 15-3 was 47 in December and is now down to 32 U/mL and within normal range. So we must be measuring different things ... well no. The CA 27.29 and CA 15-3 tests are different methods of measuring the levels of the SAME antibody. Labs do not recommend having both CA 15-3 and CA 27.29 done because they supposedly measure the same thing, yet my results from these tests are the opposite.

TM's are hard to interpret. I understand doctors who do not use them.

DancingDiva - you must have ovarian suppression for Ibrance to work unless you are already in menopause and your ovaries are no longer producing estrogen. We've had a couple situations on this forum where doctors thought a woman was in menopause and did not order ovarian suppression but in fact they were not. Ibrance does not work without hormone suppression ... the first clinical trial of this drug failed. It's very important to make sure your estrogen levels get to non-detect one way or another.

Carpe Diem - free is good and little difference between the two drugs. let us know how you do.

>Z<

• Lillymillie
    edited May 2017

thank you for the warm welcome. This is a really interesting thread. So much information on it. I have been more of a lurker with nothing much to add but feel like I really need to keep up to date and learn from you ladies.

Pat - yes my onc has me on monthly xgeva with 4 ad-cal tablets a day. Zoladex for my ovaries. I would really love to have a 'remarkable' response after 3 months. That is encouraging to hear.

Micmel - thanks and yes scanxiety is the worse. We are all familiar which how hideous it feels but hopefully you will have positive results.

Zarovka - you are a fountain of knowledge! Amazing results on your scans. I start on paloma 3 version I suppose. I have bone mets and a small amount of fluid causing my no issues in my pluera. The median time on this is 9 months I think which doesn't seem long compared to the 22 months on your combo. I hope for longer.

Joyner- good to have someone on same combo. Best of luck for the 15th. Hoping for a positive response!

Cure-ious- thanks for the support, lotshirt of good advice here.

Scwilly - I'm annoyed it took so long to get ibrance approved here but grateful if can start it. It would have been good to have it as a first line treatment when I have limited bone mets. I have had a little progression since. After a couple of failed hormone treatments chemo did the trick.

Nbnotes- that is great news. My onc ignore tumour markers. He has found themy too unreliable so he just scans.

Faith - good to hear u are still approving. Hoping it dries you my pluera situation!

You guys all seem to know a bit more than they tell us in UK. We don't do tumour markers (well my onc doesn't). My onc says they are unreliable so he scans every 3 months for actual images to tell the story. They dont test for anything other than hormone status. I notice some people have much more tumour information. I don't know how much er I am as bone is difficult to get accurate reading im told. I was 8/8 originally but now I have failed arimidex and aromasin I wonder am I weaker in er for such a crappy response??? Will this determine my response to ibrance? Hard to know. Side effects day 2 were rash on feet now gone and today day 5 was very stingy lips...better now. Also I'm so worried to plan my summer holiday with all this uncertainly. I live for my travel adventures.it would be very disappointing if I didn't get at least an a stable scan at 3 months but as both hormonesides have failed at this time frame I worry. Oncologist says this drug come on work on entirely different pathways though so we will have to just wait and see.

• Lillymillie
    edited May 2017

Z - my onc was trying to explain that tumours markers can read high when you are having a good response to drugs to. Since you had significant improvement last scan and your tumour markers were high. I think (excuse my clumsy way of expressing it) that all the dead cells circulating can give a high reading too when in fact they are dead cells and not active ones. My 2nd opinion onc in London does them and of course I would like to know if something is brewing but my onc is not for swaying on this!

Dancing diva - I'm on zoladex. A monthly injection to suppress ovaries. Very important. Ask about this. Onc wanted to save my energy for treatment and didn't want my body under strain to recover from op if we had an easier solution. Blood tests say I'm in menopause.

Carpe - will be interested to here how this goes. My London onc had good things to say about this but of course we lag behind and it's not available yet.

Pzifer has a compassionate use here but ibrance up until recently was only available as a 4th line treatment. Onc was annoyed as he wanted patients on it as a first line to really benefit. This may have changed now it has become available privately. The cost is nearly 3,000 in UK for 21 tablets

• micmel
    edited May 2017

Lilly~ my ovaries are gone. Straight into menopause at 46! My onc wanted it because the ovaries produce estrogen and they don't want the body making xtra estrogen or any is the best for ER positive cancer . I had it done last year and i am guessing. It's part of the reason I haven't had any desire for anything other than sleep. Today already has not been a good day. I scan Friday and I can't seem to shake impending doom. Even though I've been running. I always seem to feel worse on my week off of ibrance. I would think it would be the opposite. I hate you cancer! ~M~

• dancingdiva
    dancingdiva Member Posts: 317
    edited May 2017

my onc used to measure my hormones and he said I was still in menopause. I'm 45. I haven't had a period since chemo in 14. So for that reason I wasn't given the suppression option and he didn't think Oopherectomy ;wrong spelling) was necessary. Oy....should I push for the injections

• PinkLemonade16
    PinkLemonade16 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017

Am wondering how long it took for some of you who are on letrozole and Ibrance to see results? I was diagnosed Stage IV with bone and lung mets in July of 2016, with a CA 15-3 tumor marker of 68 at the time of diagnosis. I finished six rounds of chemo in December, and a month after completing chemo my CA 15-3 TM was 31 and my CT scan showed the cancer was significantly reduced and stable. My onc prescribed the letrozole/Ibrance combination but because it took six weeks to get the Ibrance (insurance company denied it at first), I took letrozole alone for a month before getting the Ibrance. I'm now halfway through my third course of Ibrance with the letrozole. I have blood work done every two weeks, and during this time, my TM has steadily been rising, approximately 5 points a month, and was most recently up to 49. Initially my onc wasn't concerned, but at my last visit on Monday he said he wants to switch me to Faslodex in two weeks (after 3 full courses of Ibrance) if a blood test then doesn't show at least a small reduction in my tumor marker. He's a big believer in tumor markers for monitoring metastatic cancer. He said a scan likely wouldn't show progression for that small of a tumor marker increase. I've trusted my doctor so far but I don't want to abandon the lettrozole for faslodex too hastily if it might still kick in, as he told me once I move on to faslodex there's no going back to letrozole. Have any of you had a similar experience?

• kim1961
    kim1961 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017

I want to thank you all for the warm welcome, and thank you so much for the advice

I am not sure how much holistic approaches/treatments are appreciated in this thread, but I do a fair share of acupuncture and moxibustion for immune system maintenance/boost. Even trying to drink ozonated water to increase oxygen consumption in the body. A relative of mine also heavily believes in magnetic therapy and had me trying it (I am heavily skeptical of this, but at this point, I am just trying everything).

Because of these, I would not be allowed these alternative treatments during the clinical trials so I am kind of forced to decline the ribociclib trial which breaks my heart because if I could contribute to this drug being approved in Canada so it can be priced competitively with Ibrance, it would help more women afford it easier.

Zarovka - Thank you so much, I did some prior reading and you are a library of knowledge

Micmel - Canada currently does not cover Ibrance but we do have a compassionate care program that was put in place until hopefully Canada decides to cover it. I will be applying for it now, and if I qualify, will be free of charge. My fingers are crossed that Canada will quickly decide to fund the drug to make it more financially available for the women affected in Canada.

Dancingdiva - Unfortunately I am not covered by insurance so my fingers are crossed for the compassionate care program I will be applying for.

Carpe_diem - I've read the studies done as well, really hoping ribociclib becomes a successful competitor to Ibrance so the prices will drop for people who need them,

Much love,

Hee.

• micmel
    edited May 2017

Pink~ some oncs scan at three months. Some at six. Mine is at six because of my blood work being really stable for five straight months on 125 mg of ibrance. I was told that I wouldnt see or know too much of in the way of results for between 4 to six months. Which is why my onc opted to do the six months scan. Which is friday. My Hair is standing on end. I hate scans. Your white cells will take some what if a hit immediately and they will watch the level of vitamin d and b12 plus calcium. I take caltrate and B12. Supplements! Seems to be doing ok. He told me last time. Whatever you are doing, keep it up! This is a hard rodeo cancer is. I'm sorry that you're here for this reason. But this place is a haven to know that you're not alone the people are so knowledgeable and caring. I hope you find this place as comforting as I do. These ladies are gems a rare find. Keeping everyone close in prayer as always. ~M~

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited May 2017

Welcome to lillymillie, Kim1961,Nextmoondance,Hee. Sorry you need to be here, but as those before me have stated: this thread is AWESOME! Couldn't be better, and you will love it for so many reasons.

Pink- my instinct would be to hang on for a few more data points on the tumor marker graph. When will your first scan on this regimen be? I was on the brink of switching from Ibrance/letrozole to Falsodex this past winter. I was having some back pain, right flank pain and rising tumor markers. My February PET scan showed stability, my pain went away, and my tumor markers came down slightly. (currently on cycle #10). My tumor markers have always been very high. Started out in the 700's, and are now upper 300's. So I am still riding the Ibrance/letrozole wave. Your MO plans on continuing the Ibrance, correct?

Micmel-hang in there during this @#$^% period of scanxiety. It is the pits, and I am holding you in the light.

Love to each, MJH

• PinkLemonade16
    PinkLemonade16 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017

Thanks, MJH and Micmel! I'm not scheduled for a scan yet. My MO thinks it's too soon for a scan to show any progression, if there is any. (I had my last one at the end of January.) I want to give the letrozole every possible chance to work, yet I also don't want to procrastinate if it's not going to. However, my own gut instinct is to ask my onc to give it at least another month before switching me to Faslodex in the hope letrozole/Ibrance just needs a bit more time to show it's working. (I would be continuing the Ibrance with the Faslodex.)

I'm really thankful to have found this community of women who understand this rollercoaster we're all on. My initial diagnosis was Stage IV, so it came totally out of left field and I've been trying to wrap my head around it ever since. Today is the first time I've posted here but I've been lurking here since I was first diagnosed last summer... whenever I'd feel overwhelmed, I'd come here to read the encouraging posts.

• micmel
    edited May 2017

Pink~ I really understand. I honestly 100% do. A lot of us are right out of the gate. I went from stage two to stage four in two weeks. It's a nightmare I can't wake up from and I hate it more than I can express. But you all know how I feel. Miserable some days, some days aren't so bad. It's definitely devastating, it's anyone's worst nightmare, or at least one of them. But there are women here who are on ibrance for quite a long time. They are amazing, I am finishing round six. My tumor markers have plummeted. I am hoping that means good news for my scan. Keeping you all in prayer and wish for long successful treatment for us all. ~ M~

• zarovka
    edited May 2017

Pink Lemonade -

Ibrance and letrozol can take a long time to work. Allow 3-6 months. My last scan may have shown improvement in month 16. If you want to mess with your doctors head, I will send you my tumor markers and scan results to review with them. It anything, my tumor markers move the opposite of the scan results, (improving scan results>>higher tumor markers) but mostly they are chaotic.

>Z<

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited May 2017

To Carol from Alabama, I am amazed that you have wrapped your mind around this diagnosis that quickly but I also know what mothers/grandmothers can do when they must! I'm glad your granddaughter has such a fine role model. (I have a 13 year old g-d too.)

About that 2-3 year expiration date they stamped on you...don't believe it! My friend, Cathy got that one too when her son was 2 years old. He's 21 and just got graduated from college. Cathy is fine. My friend LS got that...let me see....18 years ago! She's fine too. Another precious friend with young children was told "less than 2 years" and she lived for 8...got to see both her children graduate. May I add that she lived in a time of just straight-up chemo and her liver was extensively compromised from the get-go? All that to say, no one knows how long you'll be here except God. Pick your own numbers and shoot for them!!

I ended up in Memphis but was born and raised in Birmingham. I love all my Alabama people! My daughter was born there too. She's an author of novels for ages 8-13 and they feature amazing children who have each lost a parent. I'd love to send your girl a gift of autographed copies if you're interested. You can research them: "Sway" and "Circa Now" published by Disney. Author - Amber McRee Turner. If you like, just email her name and your address to patgmcree@comcast.net. (Amber is a 9-year Stage 2 BC survivor....quite a woman!)

To all the rest of you empowered survivors, you are loved and prayed for every day. Keep on keepin' on! Pat