Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    edited June 2017

Alabama and nextmoondance congrats. I went to oral surgeon she did a panoram xray and said we will let the antibiotic drugs do their job since my swelling is getting better. My onc told me not to do ibrance orcgeva and see him in a month. I still got faslodex. He said that would take care of me for a month. Hugs to all

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited June 2017

Food and Ibrance (This comes from Pfizer):

http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=21...

Food effect: Palbociclib absorption and exposure were very low in approximately 13% of the population under the fasted condition. Food intake increased the palbociclib exposure in this small subset of the population, but did not alter palbociclib exposure in the rest of the population to a clinically relevant extent. Therefore, food intake reduced the intersubject variability of palbociclib exposure, which supports administration of IBRANCE with food. Compared to IBRANCE given under overnight fasted conditions, the population average area under the concentration-time curve from zero to infinity (AUCINF) and Cmax of palbociclib increased by 21% and 38%, respectively, when given with high-fat, high-calorie food (approximately 800 to 1000 calories with 150, 250, and 500 to 600 calories from protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively), by 12% and 27%, respectively, when given with low-fat, low-calorie food (approximately 400 to 500 calories with 120, 250, and 28 to 35 calories from protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively), and by 13% and 24%, respectively, when moderate-fat, standard calorie food (approximately 500 to 700 calories with 75 to 105, 250 to 350 and 175 to 245 calories from protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively) was given 1 hour before and 2 hours after IBRANCE dosing.

My thoughts: As it is common that dosage is reduced based on individual response to the drug, consistency in diet would be more important, than following a particular diet (low vs high fat, protein, etc). As above, a high fat, high calorie diet does maximize the amount of the drug in your body, but if that simply results in a dosage reduction because its too high, there would be no point in purposely following a high fat high calorie diet.

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited June 2017

My daughter is an emergency room RN and had a patient yesterday who had her breast cancer come back after 8 years. She has lobular and it was in her stomach, bones etc... after a year on Ibrance the only place that lit up on her scans was one spot on her collarbone. It really gave me hope to hear this so thought I would share

• Beverly11
    Beverly11 Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017

Hi Everyone. I haven't posted for a very long while but my husband has been frequently posting (Husband11) I just switched from Xeloda which I was on for 14 months to Ibrance (palbociclib) and Letrozole. How are you ladies feeling on it? Have you noticed hair loss while being on Ibrance? If you have experienced hair loss; when did it start and to what degree have you lost your hair?

Thanks so much.

Beverly11

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,338
    edited June 2017

Hi Beverly. I have been on Ibrance for 13 cycles now. I have significant hair loss but it was not visibly noticeable until after 8 months. My hair now is very thin enough so that I wear a wig for nice occasions and a hat for daily walks, etc. I can still go to the store without a covering but I know it looks thin. It still appears to be thinning although it has slowed. I know everyone is different, but you asked.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited June 2017

Hi Beverly11. I was bald when I started Ibrance/Letrozole. Now 6 cycles later, I have 2" thick hair. Maybe it has thinned from original, I don't know. Having any hair at all is wonderful.

Welcome to Ibrance world. Sorry you are here, but you are amongst friends.

• Emmapeel1
    Emmapeel1 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2017

Thank you PatgMc, it is nice to know it can get better. I am normally so healthy eating oriented and focused on food this lack of appetite is quite disheartening. I will do as you suggest and focus on very small bits of healthy foods. Thank you again!

• Emmapeel1
    edited June 2017

Thank you Jaycee49, I kind of suspect Taxotere too. But come on, Body, let's get over it!

• Emmapeel1
    edited June 2017

Nice! These positive stories are important for us all to hear. Thank you for taking the time to write.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited June 2017

Beverly11, after 15 cycles of Ibrance, my hair is thinner and keeps falling out but not to the point of having to wear a wig or anything. Some of that is probably due to my age (68). I have MS (multiple sclerosis) and our brains work oddly sometimes. Husband11 is not your 11th husband, right? Because that's where my brain went. Had to ask. I'm sure he is not. Positive. Really.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited June 2017

Beverly - All i can say is hang on to Husband11. What a great person to have by your side dealing with this.

>Z<

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2017

Beverly11. Echoing Z, your husband is a definite keeper. My DH. is also a keeper (for almost 57 years now) but the less he has to think about my cancer the better it is for both of us. I've just finished rd#18 and my last scans and tumor markers are fairly good. I lost a lot of hair several months in but I started taking 10 mg of Biotin daily and it is slowly getting thicker although not like in my younger days. I still have some shedding but that could also be the age thing. Haven't needed a wig yet but it's not off the table.

Z, I think it was you who said you're approaching the 50/50 mark and I think about that a lot too but I think there are a lot of us here who are going to change those stats. That's my prayer for all of us. I intend to beat those stats because we have made plans for a 2 1/2 week trip to Italy in the fall. It's our favorite place in the world and my DH and I just need one more trip there. We thought we had our last trip in 2014 but we couldn't hang it up yet. We will be on our own, no tour, so we can go at our own pace and just enjoy it one more time. Cancel for any reason travel insurance has been purchased though, I don't intend to use it. :-).

Thank you to all of you here who help keep us informed, it means more than you know to me. Thanks also for all the good news on your scans. Keep it coming. It gives us all hope.

You are all in my daily prayers.

Hugs, Faith (in the future).

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited June 2017

Faith, I know you and your husband will make that trip and I look forward to hearing about it! 18 cycles is wonderful! We'll blink and you'll be at 36! I believe in our drug and the other new ones that are coming along. Cures have come for so many illnesses that used to kill people...all those plagues, polio; even measles and mumps used to be deadly! We will not bow to statistics!!

Happy Week-end, Warrior Women!!

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited June 2017

Husband, we love to have another researcher here. In your research on curcumin, tumeric, etc....was there any dosing affect? I'll admit that I've started to enjoy "golden milk" before bed (almond milk, tumeric, black pepper, ginger, touch of honey) as well as I seem to feel a little better in my joints. I do have a Curcumin supplement made by Douglas Labs called "Curapro" that was prescribed to me by a MD who studied how Ibrance works - I'm not questioning you or him...just trying to make a little more sense of all of it.

Anyway, please be a regular visitor here. And good luck Beverly with Ibrance. I suspect you'll find it much friendlier than Xeloda. I haven't personally been on X, but the HFS and GI issues that many friends have shared sound much harder than what I've experienced on Ibrance. I'm on round 9 I think and have very little hairloss. I lost it all in January 2016 during chemo but it's come back thick and full. I do experience fatigue and find that my mouth can't handle a lot of citrus. You'll likely want to think about time of day. Some people find morning keeps them from experiencing insomnia, others don't have that issue and stick to night time. I think most of my SE are from the Letrozole. If my feet would stop hurting I'd be oh so grateful!

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited June 2017

jensgotthis, I had a terrible time with my feet while taking Letrozole. My oncologist was sure I had Plantar Fasciitis (sp?) but I had that before and knew this was different. Within two months of stopping Letrozole, it was resolved along with painful ligaments from thigh to calf and painful joints in my hands. I'm taking Arimidex with Ibrance along with Turmeric and have no foot, joint or ligament pain so far (9 months). Since the jury is still out on taking Turmeric with Ibrance, I have opted to go with a quality of life choice. (I am also one who chose to be on no treatment at all for a couple of years after the miserable time with Letrozole. QOL is a biggie for me.)

• jojo71
    jojo71 Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017

Nextmoondance,

I'm an Alabama girl too! I'm currently in Arizona, but about to move back to the Huntsville area.

I'm glad Ibrance is working for you!

• intolight
    edited June 2017

I am so happy to hear all of these success stories. It lifts my spirit!

I have a Zometa infusion scheduled for Thursday and we plan on attending the Del Mar Fair on Friday...here's hoping for minimal ses!

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited June 2017

Hi all, I know I don't post often but I am always checking in on this thread and see how everyone is doing. I am starting my 24th cycle this weekend. So far I have had an excellent response. I leave Monday for a dream trip to Italy with my 11 year old daughter! Scans are scheduled when I come back. Mo and I agreed to hold off on scans until after the trip so that I can enjoy myself.

Beverly, my hair started thinning after about 5 months. After spending last summer swimming, my hair really was horrible. However, it has started coming back in fuller the past 3 months. My hair dresser said it was "amazing". I don't think it will ever be like it was before but it is better.

I had also asked my MO about turmeric. She told me Sloane Kettering has noted some possible concerns so she advised against it.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2017

Singlemom, thanks for the good news on starting the 24th. cycle. I love hearing that, as the closer I get to the 22-24 month time frame the more nervous I get. I will be on my 22nd cycle when we take our trip to Italy this fall. I hope you and your daughter have a most wonderful, memorable experience. It is just an absolutely beautiful country and we can't get enough of it. This will be our sixth and for sure last trip as we are getting very long of tooth now. :-). My prayers will go with you and I'm sure we would all love to hear about the trip and see a few pictures if possible when you return.

Hugs and prayers for all,

Faith (in the future).

• singlemom1
    edited June 2017

Thank you Faith- very excited about the trip. I promised myself if my last scan was good than I was going! I hope you have a wonderful time in the fall also! I am nervous about the 24th cycle but trying to stay positive for myself and everyone else on this treatment!

• Lindalou
    Lindalou Member Posts: 598
    edited June 2017

Hi All,

2 questions....anyone anemic and if so is there anything you did that helped? Also, anyone get extremely dizzy? I was at a store yesterday and had a bad dizzy/spinning spell and almost fell over, but a clerk grabbed me and got me a chair. It only lasted about 10 min. but then I got super nauseated. I was so grateful for her. Sure don't want this to happen if I'm driving.

Beverly 11, I just finished cycle 2 and my hair is thinning. Nice to see you and your husband here.

• Dianarose
    edited June 2017

Lindalou- I have been anemic for almost a year. They have never told me to do anything for it. Sure does drain the life out of you sometimes though. I get dizzy spells occasionally too. I try to eat and drink something when this happens. Not sure why it happens though.

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited June 2017

Linda Lou I'm anemic also. I get dizzy spells and sometimes get breathless climbing stairs. I think the oncology nurse told me that Ibrance can cause dizziness. I happen to get a blood draw from a technician who is anemic. She said dizziness was a common thing. When's I have an episode I just grab on to something and wait until it's over. Oncologist prescribed a pill to fight dizziness and it helped.

• intolight
    edited June 2017

Singlemom and Faith, I love Italy! I have only been once. My son went with my husband and I before I was dxd and before my DH's knees went bad, so we had a great time and walked everywhere! My son had been before so he knew just where to go and how to do it. It was a trip I will never forget! I admire you going again. You motivate me to push my limits!

• Dianarose
    edited June 2017

I am on Ibrance, Faslodex and Xgeva. Was told swollen legs and ankles were not side effects yet my left leg and ankles are swollen today. Never had this issue before chemo. Does anyone else have this while on this combo?

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,039
    edited June 2017

Only thing that helped my dizziness, was an additional iron supplement daily. It helped the Anemia also. I don't have dizzy issues with ibrance, I have very mild ankle swelling. Nothing very noticeable. I try to drink a lot of water all day everyday and avoid a lot of salt!! I am known To retain water. I hope everyone had a good weekend. Happy Father's Day to all the special Care takers, and good men out there. My DH is one of them. I don't know where I would be without him everyday. ~M~

• Dianarose
    edited June 2017

Micmel- I thought about taking an iron supplement but fear constipation .

• singlemom1
    edited June 2017

intolight-

I am a little nervous about the pace ans my ability to keep up.We are doing a Tour, but I am just going to push through it. It is so nice to hear how many people love Italy. I encourage you to go for it if you really want to go back!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,039
    edited June 2017

Dianarose~ everyday no matter what I have Miralax in one of my drinks. It never fails me and its natural. I never have a problem just make sure you take it everyday. I also take a lot of Percocet and that causes constipation badly. So far so good and I havent had a problem, it also helped me through the rough chemo! ~M~

• Dianarose
    edited June 2017

I see the oncologist Tuesday and will ask her about iron. Are you still anemic or has the iron helped with that. My go to for constipation is Honey Nut Cheerios. They do the trick so far.