Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Options

Comments

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2017
    Options

Good morning...

Leapfrog...I thought the week off of Ibrance was when your neutrophil count increased??

Joy...What great results. Doing a happy dance for you. I love hearing these "good news" posts. Have fun at the engagement party!!!

I had my monthly appointment yesterday. All ok...still on 125 mgs. of Ibrance/Femara. I will have my first scan a few days prior to my next oncology appointment on Oct.5th. Needless to say, I will be a nervous wreck. I asked the NP what if things aren't going well. She said there are numerous options and treatments to switch to...but, she seemed very positive. Let's hope so!

Off for breakfast....have a great day!

Hope

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited September 2017
    Options

Great news Joyner! I am doing the happy dance for you! Wow! Such great plans! Enjoy every moment!

Enjoy breakfast Hope!

Hugs and prayers everyone

Claudia

Ps please pray for everyone in Irmas path!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited September 2017
    Options

Joyner, WOOHOO for the scan results. Stable, improvement, and healing are three of my favorite words. I am also a big fan of Faslodex and Ibrance, btw. You do have a busy couple of weeks ahead. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Wave to me when you are in NH. When is your son's wedding?

Hugs from, Lynne

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited September 2017
    Options

Rehearsal dinner is in Branson VT on Sept 15th, and then we head to Wolfboro NH for vacation on Lake Wentworth. SO excited! Wedding is on November 16th at the Branson Inn in VT. Will we pass near you driving from Branson to Wolfboro? I want to go through Sugar Hill and go to the breakfast restaurant, but that may be outrageously out of the way. We shall see!

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited September 2017
    Options

Joy - that is just an awesome scan. I could not be more pleased to read your email. My working hypothesis is that those who get that second response to this drug end up responding to this protocol for a while.

For those of you just starting this protocol, wondering how it works, note that Joy saw a limited initial response and then saw a second phase of improvement after 6 months. I believe there are two different mechanisms at work with this protocol, one that works after about 6-12 weeks and another that works after 6-18 months. I am observing 3 types of responders, those who respond to the first mechanism, those lucky ducks who respond to both mechanisms and those who respond to neither.

In my case I had a strong response within 12 weeks then I was stable until about 16 months out when I believe had another significant reduction in my tumors.

It is important to be aware of the wide range in response to this protocol. There are cancers that are highly responsive and others that are not responsive at all. Not a miracle cure here, just a roll of the dice.

Hugs to everyone ...

>Z<

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2017
    Options

Joyner, I am so happy to hear about your scans. Yay! Good news is always welcome.

I woke up with a cough and cold today. I was silly to think I missed this one as my family has been battling it for the past 3 weeks and I have remained untouched until today. My DH was extremely sick this time and is still coughing. Of course my DH and I planned a weekend away as he is performing a wedding ceremony Saturday. Instead, I am sitting here trying to get up the strength to shower to see the Dr later today. Not my pcp, but they always get me in to see someone on the same team giving my history. Onward!

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited September 2017
    Options

As noted earlier, tThere is some research going on relating to a possible immune response triggered in some women by palbociclib, which results in tumor regression. For some reason they say that palbo should only result in stability on its own, not regression. The hypothesis is that the regression is caused by the cancer cells somehow becoming exposed to the immune system by the drug, where otherwise they were silent.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited September 2017
    Options

Joy- so happy about your scan!

Z- thanks for the response information. I feel less anxious knowing that the results are variable esp early on and also the dosage regimens seem all over the place. Had my 3 months scan today-no results yet.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited September 2017
    Options

Joyner, I'm thrilled about your good news! I pray that you'll feel great as you travel.

Thanks so much for checking on me. I'm okay. My body just didn't like getting back on the Ibrance after that 3-week break but I'm expecting to feel much better soon!

I hope all of you in Florida are safe and that your homes aren't damaged by Irma. I can't imagine how much fear a hurricane must cause. May God protect you and those you love.

• nonahope
    edited September 2017
    Options

Question.....I'm invited out for dinner with some friends. Do any of you drink wine while on the combo? I haven't had any since I started on it...just wondering if a glass would be ok??

Hope

• 50sgirl
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hope, I don't drink, not because of MBC, just never did, but I know that many people have had wine while on this combo,so go out and enjoy yourself!

Lynne

• intolight
    edited September 2017
    Options

Anyone know if having a cold will put off a Zometa infusion? After 16 months, this has not happened to me before now. I am scheduled for Zometa in a week so there is a little time, but I am curious.

• zarovka
    edited September 2017
    Options

I drink wine and beer occasionally. The real issue is the low nutrition to calorie ratio. Same issue with ice cream and that kind of stuff. Although I like to think that beer is a good source of vitamin B, there are better places to get your nutrition.

>Z<

• intolight
    edited September 2017
    Options

Now you are telling me I can't eat ice cream? That is just wrong!!! (lol)

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi Hope,

While my MO has hit pause on Ibrance for now (low hemoglobin) I enjoy a good glass of wine and had no problems with drinking on the combo. Nice change from chemo when they drinking a small amount is fine but who the heck would want to (foul tasting with the mouth issues that chemo illicits).

As to low nutrition/high calories, in some ways I am fortunate. I lost so much weight with my pleural effusion that any calories work for me. I seem to eat continuously (mostly healthy things, nuts, vegetables, lean protein but also some empty calories - wine, ice cream, etc.) and still dropped a bunch of weight last week.

Go out and enjoy yourself. Life is short! (My motto is life is too short to drink bad wine!)

Pat2

• nkb
    edited September 2017
    Options

I got my scan results today (3 months) and have had major resolution of the bone mets and bone marrow mets! With a few persistent areas that are stable. I am so happy and relieved.

I eat ice cream, small amounts of it. I do like so many of the sweets-it's a struggle. I don't drink much anymore. My MO doesn't really want me to, so rare sips here and there mostly. My sister from Napa has some really good wines and I will have a bit of those if they come my way.

Say safe everyone

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited September 2017
    Options

Nkb, I'm so happy about your great results! Treat yourself to a hot fudge sundae! That's what I have each month after the XGeva shot. I always know it's going to give me extreme fatigue for a couple of days so that's my treat.

• nkb
    edited September 2017
    Options

PatGMc- I can see that you speak my language! My brain was really starved for carbs after a day without them for the scan. Monday is Zometa (major yuck) and Faslodex-minor yuck. I guess I will now have to add them to my friend group!

Hope to hear some more good scan results-it brings so much joy!

• 50sgirl
    edited September 2017
    Options

Nkb, Woohoo for the scan results. That is great news after only three months. Make sure you are well hydrated for the Zometa infusion and be sure that the infusion takes at least 30 minutes. Some places try to sneak it in in 15 minutes. Thirty seems to cause fewer SEs. Zometa and Faslodex have become my friends, too.

Lynne

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,756
    edited September 2017
    Options

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy-ner!!! How wonderful to be able to tell everyone at the wedding that you are doing well, everyone can relax and just have a fantastic good time! I know my kids are even more excited than I am when I get a good scan!!

• zarovka
    edited September 2017
    Options

nkb- that's a veryimportant scan result as it shows you have a working drug combo. there is nothing wrong with stable (at all!!) , except that when you get a stable scan early on in this treatment it does not demonstrate definitively the combo is work on your specific cancer.

happy weekend, mostly, on the ibrance forum. but whatever is going, hope that everyone can relax and enjoy the coming of fall ....

here in santa fe we burn a huge puppet on labor day weekend to celebrate the departure of the tourists... because the place really becomes lovely and quiet in september.

>Z<

• intolight
    edited September 2017
    Options

Z: we do the celebrate the departure of tourists in our part of San Diego bay also. Well, they are always here, but their numbers and the noise drops considerably. There are sometimes empty parking spaces also! Happy

• nkb
    edited September 2017
    Options

Z- Thanks. Mine actually showed "improvement or resolution of most sites of bone and bone marrow disease with a few sites of persistent but, stable disease." So far so good! It will be interesting to see if the TMs also go down. They went down by 700 after a month and 60 more at two months. They have a long way to go to get close to normal, but, down is good.

I haven't had a CBC done yet-will have one after my week off in about a week-I suspect my HGB will be better since climbing up hills and stairs has gotten so much easier than it was with a HGB of 7.5.

What kind of puppets will you be burning on Labor Day? I have had many lovely trips to Santa Fe-love the sky there.

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Joyner and NKB I am so happy for your great scan results. I've got a bit of a wait before my first scans. Just one round done and now a delay in starting round 2.

How many of you have gotten second opinions and when did you do it? I'm seeing a counselor at a cancer support locally and she feels very strongly that I should start now on getting scheduled for a second opinion which I plan to get at UCSF which is closest to me and has several oncologists who specialize in breast cancer. My MO said she would arrange an appointment there after my first scans, but the counselor thinks it's best to start working on getting scheduled now based on her experience currently counseling many MBC clients. The doctor I'm interested in seeing oversees clinical trials and I'm not sure how easy or quick it is to get an appointment.

I'm hopeful that Faslodex and Ibrance will work for me but cautious because I know that my prior chemo didn't work as it was done before surgery and the pathology showed no treatment effect. My understanding is that Ibrance works differently just as the Faslodex is different than my AI.

Regarding wine, I think if you enjoy it, have it . I like wine, still belong to 2 wine clubs but my digestive system doesn't like it much so I barely drink anymore. We just gave many of our good accumulated bottles to my daughter and she was thrilled.
  • Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2017
    Options

hi liwi - I just went for a second opinion a few months ago (to a Stanford doc) and I was so happy I did! The second opinion doctor didn't really have any new information or treatment plans for me but it was a big confirmation that I was on the right track. They told me about a few new things but basically told me They wouldn't change anything.Everyone's cancer is different so everyones experience will be different.

My Next scans are at the end of the month. This will be after round 8 of ibrance. Fingers crossed for that second response :)

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited September 2017
    Options

Nkb, WHOOPEE!! Such incredibly great news! Keep it up!!

Z, I had forgotten that you're in Santa Fe. We bought the most wonderful piece of kinetic art in a studio there. He's a cowboy on a funky horse, and he makes me smile every time I tip him into action! Pat (1), I think that you'd love him!!

Hugs to all for a wonderful fall weekend....it's my favorite time of the year.

Hang on down there, Florida. I hope that you've all headed out of there-

• nonahope
    edited September 2017
    Options

Good morning...

NKB....Such wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you. Good results this week. Hope they continue.

Liwi....I've never had a 2nd opinion. I've always been pleased with my oncology team. Is there a reason for your 2nd opinion?

Off in a bit to work at my DGDs dance studio. I'm trying to add more activity into my life....I've really been a slug. I will only be there a couple of hours, but it gets me out of the house and I'm sure it will help my mental health. I love seeing all those little munchkins on a Saturday morning.

I did have a glass of wine last night! Thank you ladies. But, oh no.....I eat ice cream every night! I lost a lot of weight with this diagnosis so don't have to worry too much about calories....yet!!

Wishing you all a most happy weekend!

Hope

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited September 2017
    Options

NKB, great news on your scan! That's quite an improvement!

• intolight
    edited September 2017
    Options

NKB, great news. I rejoice with you!

Liwi, I have never had cancer surgery yet this chemo is working great for me. Every treatment is different for everyone. Give it a chance. Like Nonahope, I did not get a second opinion since this is working well and I am happy with my care. My onc offered, but every thing I have read since indicates a change would not benefit. But you have to do what gives you peace.

• Hilldegunn
    Hilldegunn Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2017
    Options

hello all. Enjoy reading everyone's results and hope my 3 month scan can join yours. Just finished cycle one and have appt with mo Monday hoping I can stay on 125 mg.

In regards to alcohol consumption my mo is very aware of my love of vodka. Esp with grapefruit juice. He recommended I switch my mixer to cranberry juice! I informed him that cranberry makes me fall down. ( it's a pvt joke with my friends) he then suggested lemonade. I don't have liver mets and I don't mix my drinks as strong. But he never said stop. Nor did he refer me to rehab! Enjoy the day. Embrace life. Celebrate the good Always remember it's 5oclock somewhere