Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• MuddlingThrough
    MuddlingThrough Member Posts: 655
    edited August 2018

Thanks Seaway, although sorry you have it too. I thought it was just summer, but these days I stay in the air conditioning 99% of the time. Just a mystery. I hate baths but I might have to soak in some aveeno. Really prefer showers.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 505
    edited August 2018

I'm one of those with a dr that stopped ibrance after a year cause cancer is stable. His thoughts are that if my tumor markers go up i can go on it again. He says it is not worth the side effects csuse antihormonals is where its at. but i am on both faslodex and letrozole. So far minimal problems with those.

• junieb
    junieb Member Posts: 945
    edited August 2018

NineTwelve - It appears we are near neighbors. I too live in Oregon and my cancerversary is the end of August. I was DX'd in Aug. of 2014, and was stable until June of this year and now I will be flying to Rodchester, MN to the Mayo Clinic to discuss the removal of my vertebrae where the tumor is. I sure hope they are able to do this surgery. I had a PET in early July and it was clear, so we'll see.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited August 2018

junieb. I had my vertebrae removed. It was a C-3 corpectomy with strut and graft, etc. My titanium plate goes from 2-5. They used cadaver bone after scraping all the cancer out. It was done in 2000 and is still holding my head on. Ha They removed the disc above a below 3. So, I have a fusion. Which vertebra are you having removed?

• junieb
    junieb Member Posts: 945
    edited August 2018

Grannax2 - I need T11 removed.

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    edited August 2018

Thanks, everyone, for the congrats and well wishes. I was a bit worried, even though usually I "turn my worrier off" when I have a scan. I just tell myself that everything is fine until it isn't. Used to worry a lot more, then I went through a 3 year period of sustained hard times where multiple disasters happened in every vector of my life. After getting through most of that somewhat intact, I concluded that some shit is inevitable for us all, and sometimes it's my turn to get burned.

Not this time, though!

PatgMc, I loved your defense of the online community. I have learned so much from being here. It was my first stop when I got dx'd, and it may well be my last, when I go into hospice, and most days in between, I read up on all I can. Sure, sometimes I cry when a familiar, beloved voice is silenced, but I often cheer when someone beats the odds, or goes adventuring in spite everything.

Junieb, Howdy, neighbor! Wow, you had a really long run of being NED after your first dx! I really hope your consultation goes well and you can get your surgery.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited August 2018

Friends, I not only made it to the Artist Reception Friday night, I felt perfectly wonderful all day! Thank you for your prayers and good wishes. I managed to stay for the whole party and got to visit with many lovely friends and strangers. Two of my pieces sold that night and one had four people asking to buy it. That was huge fun and so unexpected! The newspaper review for the show will be out Friday and if it's good, I'll post it here. If it's not good I'll post the one from last year where the guy basically said I was nuts! Let me find it and I'll post it anyway. The nice thing about being old is that you don't get very worked up about critics. Isn't that right, fellow grandmothers?!

Gailmary, good for you! I may do exactly that on my own some day!

JunieB, I'll be praying that you're able to do your surgery. My daughter had one vertebrae removed with cadaver bone and titanium to replace it. It has worked out perfectly as, like Grannax, her head has not fallen off which always makes your days better.

Love from PatG

Here's that review:

From Fredric Koeppel, The Memphis Commercial Appeal, August, 2017

"......while some of the work feels undernourished or less than inspired, other pieces remind me that some artists are worth seeing over and again, even in this restrictive thematic environment.

The foremost of these is Pat McRee, whose irresistible goofy-bizarro mixed media pieces I don't recall seeing anywhere but in this annual show. Like some unholy blend of Hieronymous Bosch, Salvador Dali and Rube Goldberg, McRee's collaged and painted works offer an unhinged yet precisely calibrated view into the darkly hilarious milieu of Elvis worship. Here are the titles: "Industri-EL … Unplugged (You can call him an Impersonator, you can call him a Tribute Artist; just call him!)" and "EP and the Liberty Sisters at Horn Lake … Something to See." What can I add to that?"

What's not to love about being called "unhinged" and "goofy-bizarro"? I don't plan to be buried with a headstone but if I did, I might like that engraved on it though my favorite is still "I told you I was sick!".

• Grannax2
    edited August 2018

As a fellow grandmother, I totally agree with Pat. Critics don't bother me. Of course I don't paint but I do crazy funny things and I don't care who laughs at me. For example, I went to this fancy resort in Hawaii with my family. So many ladies just sat in their little chair with toes only in the water. WHAT? Who does that? So I go running into the waves and promptly get pulled down, and rolled around uncontrollably by the undertow .Whoops I forgot I'm not 16 anymore. So I laughed, my grandson thought I was awesome and the stately ladies on the beach laughed. I made some hysterically funny memories none of us will ever forget. 😂

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited August 2018

Wonderful news, Pat. SO glad that you not only made it to reception but had fun AND sold two pieces (with competition no less)! The best!!

Grannax, I love the waves story. Good for you, and even better for your grandson to realize how cool that was rather than being embarrassed! A good boy for sure with a solid future ahead.

We're in Wisconsin now at the marina preparing to leave on our 1350 mile+ boat trip back to VA. There are delays (of course) while safety and communication equipment is being installed, but we're very excited and hoping not to drown in Lake Michigan on the leg across. Leaving in a day or two.

Speaking of embarrassment.....we went out to dinner at a local cafe last night. I quickly pulled on some cute white cotton shorts. At the restaurant I started to put my phone in my pocket and realized that there was a problem: my shorts didn't have a pocket, and all of my shorts do have pockets. Hmmmm. I pulled up my shirt to look for pockets....and lo and behold....there was instead a fly (and no pockets). I was wearing my husband's white boxer shorts!

Who cares, and no one noticed, anyway (except my husband, who was sure that everyone could tell)!! My t-shirt covered the fly. Onward....

• MuddlingThrough
    MuddlingThrough Member Posts: 655
    edited August 2018

JoynerL, safe travels for you two! Also, thanks for the great laugh about the boxer shorts! I'm sure you looked very cute regardless.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,339
    edited August 2018

Pat, Joyner, Grannax, I so wish there was a "like" button. Your humor always makes me smile! A great way to start my day.

• JoynerL
    edited August 2018

My husband is worried now that his boxers are at risk. He may be correct. They were really comfortable!! Just need a long shirt to cover the fly. Make a note, girls....

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited August 2018

Pat, Joyner, Grannax; You make my day with your stories. So upbeat and funny. What route do you take Joyner to get home? Pat, I'm so glad you are enjoying the success of your artistic talents. Grannax, good on you going swimming. It's the whole bathing suit issue for me lol.

Cathy

• JoynerL
    edited August 2018

Cathy-

The plan (and we all know about plans) is to cross Lake Michigan from Sturgeon Bay. Then, up past Mackinack Island and across the top of Lake Huron into the North Channel. Through the North Channel to Georgian Bay. Foot of Georgian Bay through the Trent-Severn Waterway to Lake Ontario. Across Ontario to the Oswego Canal and south to the Erie Canal. Left on the Erie Canal to the Hudson River. South on the Hudson through New York Harbor (right past the Statue of Liberty) and then down the Atlantic Coast to Cape May, NJ. From there, an option: either up the Delaware River to the C&D Canal and through to the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay and then a straight shot south to the Rappahannock River and home, or we stay "outside" and run down the Atlantic Coast from Cape May to Cape Charles, VA and then cross the Chesapeake to the Rappahannock and home. WHEW. Or, we may sink quickly and be done with it. We're used to "soft" bottoms (sand) where we live, and there are decidedly "hard" bottoms up here (rock!!). Very unforgiving when struck. We will be studying charts carefully!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2018

Joyner, I have two friends on the great lakes. One lives in Marquette, MI. The other in Pulaski, NY. I told them both to be on the lookout for a woman in men's boxer shorts waving frantically on the deck of a boat that could be in distress. They are both solid individuals and would help you in a heartbeat. I hope you have a really fun time and stay away from those rocks.

• PatgMc
    edited August 2018

Joyner. I've always loved a good shorts story and yours is the best!! I've had time on my hands so I crocheted these for your trip. One for you and one for the hubs. Fight over who gets which. At least they'll see your colorful bodies floating on the lake. image

• JoynerL
    edited August 2018

Excellent ideas, Janet and Pat!! Janet, please change my physical description to your friends accordingly after studying Pat's photo of the lovely crocheted "matched" sets of shorts. I will still be waving frantically from the deck, so even easier to spot on the rocks...or floating face-down. Thanks to you both, my friends-

• Grannax2
    edited August 2018

OMG girls you are really making my day. The shorts story had me laughing out loud for sure. I do have a friend on alert for you when you reach the rocks of the eastern shore. Seriously, she lives on the bay. If you'll postpone your landing, I'm going to be there Sept 15-21, I'll be happy to help you out of the bay!

Believe it or not, my DIL just happened to be filming when the ocean got me. I have the video but only show it to a few trusted friends. Ha. If I was really brave I would send it to FHV. My grandchildren have watched it so many times and laugh so hard they cry. I was voted the funniest on our vacation. No awards, just sayin'.......

• KatyK
    KatyK Member Posts: 206
    edited August 2018

sure is good to keep laughing and having fun. I love playing in the lakes and pools with my grandchildren and so does my husband. No sitting on the beach or deck for us! I’m at the point in my life that I really don’t care if I make a foolof myself if I’m having fun! Between being 60 and a stage IV cancer diagnosis, I’ll gladly be foolish and have fun! My husband and I are now the first ones out on the dance floor! Keep rockin it ladies, we need fun!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,531
    edited August 2018

good evening ladies.

Grannax I love getting in the water at a beach or pool. Your story made me laugh. It happened to me on fire island in New York when I was flipped and deposited on the sand with a croth full of sea bottom and the people on shore had a fabulous laugh. You reminded me with your story.

Joyner I haven’t been boating since a kid with my dad except for on the Hillsborough river here in Tampa. And the boat had a depth finder. You’ll be fine and we’ll all look for the crocheted brightly colored shorts on the news. Ahoy mates!

Jaycee good looking out with your friends enroute keeping an eye out for our sailors.

Gail Mary where are you from? I haven’t heard of anyone coming off ibrance and just taking faslodex. I would love to try that option if possible one day.

Into the light I too wish we had a like button.

Nine12 please let us know how your Rochester MN consultation goes.

Junior B and grannax I’m have spine issues now and although it sounds scared and painful at least I know now that there are surgeries and options. Thanks for sharing

Take care all

Tanya

• PatgMc
    edited August 2018

Oh, Joyner, I forgot to use non-shrinking yarn. Too much time in the drink and those shorts will be Speedos! Send pictures.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2018

Just thought I check in and see how you Ibrance dancers are doing. Glad you got your show Pat. I love your art and that review is awesome. You all deserve an award for being the best medicine...you are all hilarious..the laughter helps us all Take care. Maire..(a former dancer

• Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2018

So I skip just one day and look at all the fun I miss! What a whacky hilarious gaggle of brave and beautiful women if I ever saw one! :-)

Maire so nice of you to pop over! I see you on the bone board. Clean MRI I think?!

• PatgMc
    edited August 2018

Hello, Maire, so you're hiding some fantastic scan results? Please share!

• PatgMc
    edited August 2018

Oh, Grannax, I missed your funny Rollin' in the Waves story! What a hoot and such a gift to your grandson. I imagine the ladies on the beach were holding their tummies in. (I try sometimes but mine has no place to go!)

Love and thanks for the laugh from PatG

• time-for-a-cure
    time-for-a-cure Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2018

Joyner - what a wonderful trip you have planned. We used to cross at Algoma (just south of Sturgeon Bay) and go to south Manitou, then up via Charleroix and on through Mackinaw and into the North Channel. Fabulous memories and I know it will make great memories for you.

Wishes for following winds and calm seas! Kitt

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2018

Yes. MRI says no new mets...still stable. 😊. Herceptin & letrozole yay

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited August 2018

Just dropping into say, congratulations on the art show PatM. I so admire talent like that. Grannax I loved your rolling in the waves story. I'm jealous since I could never do that as I'm really afraid of the water since a childhood almost drowning issue. I did make my kids all take swim lessons. Joyner, enjoy that loooong boat ride. That, I think I could do.

I do have one other thing to add, I'm another one who has come off Ibrance and only using letrozole. It's been a year now after using Ibrance for 16 months. I do have to say, I sometimes get very nervous about my blood tests and the CT scan coming up in a few weeks. I believe you can only do this if your cancer was a long time coming back, indicating it's slow growing. In my case it took 25 years before it showed up in my lungs. If you fit that profile you might ask your MO about it.

Have a good night everyone and keep us laughing, it's great medicine!

Sending love and prayers to everyone. You are all in my prayers every night.

Faith (in the future).

• PatgMc
    edited August 2018

Faith, you go, girl! I can't wait to hear those good scan results!

• holmes13
    holmes13 Member Posts: 192
    edited August 2018

joyner- what a great experience!! I didn't think I could ever go out on a boat but for a field trip we took the kids on a pirate boat and I was fine. I loved the ocean breeze.

grannax- love your story about the waves. When we go to the beach I usually just sit and watch everyone but this year I went in and a big wave came in and the next thing I know I'm on my back on the beach. My daughter and her friend said that one minute they saw me and then all of a sudden it was just my feet.

marie- congratulations!!!