Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited May 2019

Thanks all for thinking of me and my question about the measles.  I placed a call to my onc late Monday afternoon and as of now (Tuesday night) I have not heard back.  But I plan on calling the nurse tomorrow and requesting the blood test.  I would rather check the immunity status BEFORE getting the vaccine.  I had my other vaccines as a kid, so I think there is just a mix up with the records at the County Health Dept.  Lauren--- I had the smallpox vaccine---I have the scar on my left arm, Polio--I remember (or was told) it was a drink back then, and my mom got all us kids our vaccines. So she must have done the measles one too---maybe not MMR at that time in history.  Just freaked me out when the Health Dept said there is no record of the vaccine in my records, the measles going around, and my cancer issues now.  Sure don't want measles taking me out of the game!!!!   

Miaomix--- Woohoo to a new version of Ibrance !!!!!!!!!!    We just need to hold on for the newer and better drugs being invented.  Please post when you know more.  Cure-ious and others-- have you heard of this??

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2019

Here is a trial testing the old Ibrance, but on a 5 day on, 2 day off dosing schedule (rather than the 28 day on, 7 day off). I've been trying this for a couple of months and seem to have not as much fatigue (still taking 125mgs). But maybe with new improved Ibrance they will have better figured out the optimal dose and not give the cancer any days to wake from its slumber

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03007979

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited May 2019

Cure-ious, have you come across anything about the trial at MD Anderson combining an unnamed drug with 25mg of Ibrance? I'm sure it's been way over a year ago that I saw it on Oncology Business Review. If I remember correctly the unnamed drug was designed to keep the cells from becoming resistant to Ibrance.

Re: PARP Inhibitors.....I've asked my oncologist about these for a few years as I am BRCA1 Positive. He would tell me how promising they look for ovarian cancer but less so for MBC. Well, yesterday at my visit his nurse and then he told me they were pulling everyone's records to check on their BRCA status. He was pretty excited and we discussed that this would probably be my route if I progress on Ibrance. I'm especially excited about this because my daughter, who is also BRCA1 Positive & Triple Negative would be a candidate if she recurs. She's 11 years out from Stage 2.

I think about the slow progress on MBC treatment before Herceptin and Ibrance and now it seems to be popping!

Hallelujah!

Love from PatGMc

• cure-ious
    edited May 2019

Hey I was checking on clinical trials and a new one has opened up testing a CDK7 inhibitor (various cancers)- this should be a good drug to try after progression on CDK4,6 inhibitors. Cannot find anything about what the side effects might be. I'm hopeful this class of drug will work well, so excited to see them moving it forward!

Right now it is in NYC (Memorial Sloan Kettering and Columbia) and New Haven

but interestingly it will open soon in TORONTO and BARCELONA, so nice to see some global options for MBC patients!!

https://www.lillytrialguide.com/en-US/studies/adva...

basically, they developed breast cancer cells in the lab that had become resistant to Ibrance, and then asked what would inibit these resistant cells- and the answer was loss of CDK7. Cancers that have truly become resistant to Ibrance strongly depend on CDK7 for growth:

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/79/4_Sup...

however, this is phase one (mostly figuring out the dose and showing it won't kill people) and is not being tested in combination with anything, just to see if it has activity as monotherapy

• cure-ious
    edited May 2019

Also natural killer cell therapies are in trials, this is similar idea to what Z was taking in Japan:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/clinica...

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited May 2019

Exciting Miromax! Please share more info or links as you learn more. Cure-ious thank you for weighing in with your bit of wisdom, which you always top off with a dash of additional hope. Such an awesome combination!

Love to all,

Lauren

• skyfly
    skyfly Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2019

cure-ious,

the NK study is very interesting (and confusing)! Also extra cool that they’ve done something similar with neuroblastoma. I like that this approach is more off the shel

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited May 2019
    Saw my Onc yesterday for results from the Pet Scan. Don't want to jinx myself but she would like to classify me as NED but because of a small lung met 1cm that has not increased or decreased after 3yrs and no SUV she says I am NEAD. She also mentioned the Ibrance research. She said they were researching Tamoxifen and working a new way to use this drug. As everyone just said they are coming up with new trials every day.
  • gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 499
    edited May 2019

Airlinegal, thats great news. We all want that. About the lung met, I have to wonder if it's a met at all. Was it biopsied?. Guessing not cause its small. I have a spot show up on my ct scans too. It changes slightly from scan to scan 7-8 mm. I pointed out to MO that that "nodule" was there 10 yrs ago the first time around. They are common. Finally he decided it was a nodule.

Once he mentioned a spot he was watching on my liver that the radiologist never mentioned. Then said" but its gone now". At first he didnt think it was cancer but now does cause its gone. Kinda makes me wanna pull out my hair! He always ends our sessions repeating "you will be fine".

Miaomix. Great news from you too. No wonder my MO is so optimistic.

Cure-ious, love hearing of all the trials. They all sound so promising. Thanks for giving us more hope.

Best of luck to all

GAILMARY

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited May 2019

airlinegal...Congratulations on your NED status! I wouldn’t worry about what used to be a lesion....it’s time to celebrate!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited May 2019

Yay, airlinegal. I was waiting to hear that. Mine went great yesterday as they have a new tech who doesn't mind using my port. She won't flush it with the heparin I bring with me (owned by my hospital) from MO but she flushed it with saline (owned by the different company she works for). Stupid but reality. My MO nurse said people are getting to be OK with saline but she still likes heparin. She has known patients to get blood clots in their ports. She is old school. I will wait a week then decide whether to call or wait until next MO appointment.

I'm so happy you are in that good place now. Hope I can join you but the last two scans have shown slight progression so I just don't know what to expect.

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited May 2019

Great news airlinegal! Time to celebrate 🎉.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited May 2019

Airlinegal...yahoo! Happy to celebrate the great news with you.

Jaycee...glad the scan went well. Now we celebrate good news ahead.

So thankful for the positivity on this thread...both now and for the future. Those of us who are in limbo waiting on scans ahead or results from treatments feel good just knowing others are getting help.

• PatgMc
    edited May 2019

Airlinelegal, we'll take that report even with the "A"!

I can't count the number of friends who have had spots on the liver or lungs that never turned out to be anything. I had one on my pelvis for many years. In the years after my first BC, this would be written on my reports, "Can not rule out metastatic disease." They ended up calling it a "bone island". I never met another person with one of those and eventually, they stopped mentioning it.

Jaycee, I'm hoping and praying for good future scans for you.

Intolight, let's just make the limbo the "Ibrance dance of the week"! I think I can do that right here on my sofa!

Love from PatGMc

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2019

Candy; Just wanted to mention that I am in a similar boat to you re: the measles. No record and titre is low which normally would require a vaccination I asked my regular GP about it and she said that with my blood levels so low she wouldn't give it to me now. Luckily I am in a small town, don't travel much and am at low risk for measles as there isn't any here right now. I remember getting shots at school but the big one at the time was for polio which was raging back then....sugar cubes with the vaccine. I always thought I'd had the measles but I can't remember....could have been chicken pox. Good luck to you. I would hate to be in an active measles area. Take care.

Cathy

• Moomala
    Moomala Member Posts: 397
    edited May 2019

Well PatgMc now you know another person with a bone island! Meeee! I have multiple spots and bone islands up and down my legs and pelvis, spine, skull. Most of them are Paget's Disease (a metabolic bone disorder) until a couple of them were not according to biopsy about six or seven weeks ago.

I'm worried about measles too, although we don't have an active outbreak here. I am a 1956 baby so it's assumed I had all childhood diseases except polio and I remember the sugar cube vaccine. My oncologist said absolutely no live vaccine so that means no MMR for me.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited May 2019

I can only hope that this measles epidemic knocks some sense into everyone. Can you imagine the poor children who are immune compromised trying to go to school or anywhere else for that matter. I was born before you moomala and my mom said I did not have Rubeola ( the serious type of measles) I took a blood test and she was right. It was before cancer so I had the vaccine and then a booster in 2010 for a trip to Africa.

By the way- there is a non live virus shingles vaccine called shingrix- get it as soon as you can- supples are stretched due to its popularity- but, you don’t want shingles. Even if you had the old shingles vaccine- you need this one. That was only 50% effective this one is 97%.

Stay well

• PatgMc
    edited May 2019

Moomala, my bone island sister, I'm getting out my lei and ukulele!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited May 2019

Hey all.

Airlinegal---Woohoo on the results!!!!   

Jaycee- Praying you get good results.

Update on the measles concern---I called the office yesterday and spoke with the nurse.  He said he gave the MO my message from Monday afternoon about my concerns. The MO messaged him back she would discuss with me at my next visit.  I reminded the nurse that would be a month from now.  I got the feeling I was disturbing them with something not very serious, and it could definitely wait.  So we wait.  When I go for the office visit, I am going to ask for the blood test to check my immunity.  I don't want to push for the vaccine if it could be harmful with the counts the way they stay.  Seaway--  I don't know how many cases are in my immediate area.  I asked the County Health Dept if there are cases in our County and they said they did not have that info.  ???  But there are cases in Illinois and Missouri.  I live in Illinois and 2 hours from the Missouri border.  I heard on the news that the germs can stay in the air for up to 2 hours after an infected person leaves the room.  I am concerned about public places -- restaurants and stores --- and my town is located where 2 interstates meet up.  So someone traveling through may be carrying the illness.  Oh well, what can I do.  

• Moomala
    Moomala Member Posts: 397
    edited May 2019

candy-678 I get so worried about illnesses too. I have told all of my piano student families to please keep sick children at home, or schedule a FaceTime lesson with me. But they don't. I had a student several weeks ago who was here with a nasty cough that turned out to be whooping cough. Great. I'm exposed. So I sent another note and still the sick kids show up. I have started sending them back out to their parents' car. I mean, I get it...I'm exposed to germs everywhere, but avoiding actively sick people is pretty important especially when I'm seated two feet from them at the piano.

nkb, I was called for my turn at the pharmacy to get the Shingrix vaccine just before I started treatment and my oncologist said to wait a little bit until I get going on treatment. So I missed my chance at that time. I'm not sure why - I think she was just concerned about me being ill from vaccine and starting the femara and ibrance and tetrazole and had just finished radiation. It was just the timing. So i put myself back on the list and I'll wait again. I think the production is picking up again. Definitely do not want shingles.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited May 2019

Just wanted to share the following since I'm an ex dancer (sigh)  But on a good note Taxol chemo has shrunk by tumors (breast) by little more than half, and CT read that most of the numerous small noduls on my lungs have DISSAPATED.  The rest on smaller. (that on just 9 infusions)  So, yeah, I take chemo for a bit longer.  Anyway, here are some links.

""

Curcumin seem to ACTIVATE the CYP3A4 system in liver, that is responsible for the metabolism/break down of 50% of all drugs, also some cancer drugs (like e.g. TKIs).
    This means that the level (AUC=bioavailability) in blood could drop.
    By as much as 70-76% in the case of Everolimus.
    Same have been seen for Tamoxifen (posted earlier).

So when supplementing with curcumin it seems wise to find out if other important drugs you are taking e.g. cancer drugs are metabolized by this enzyme - and in the case of this be cautious not overdoing the curcumin.""

More:

It enhances Letrozole to inhibit tumor growth!
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20038303/

I snipped the above info from a FB group.

Still thinking and praying for all my dancing friends.  Love and HUGS to all.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,572
    edited May 2019

Snooky, I’m not very good at deciphering the medical jargon and wonder if you could explain the use of curcumin in a way that’s easier to understand.

I took curcumin for probably six or seven years while on Arimidex, along with several other supplements, but was advised by the pharmacist to stop the curcumin when I began taking Ibrance/Aromasin this year.

• snooky1954
    edited May 2019

Oh, I am so sorry Ms Divine!  I do not understand it either.  Really hoping that Curi  ous comes along and explains it to us.  I can tell you this, when I was Ful/Ibrance, my ONC also advised me against taking it.   

Someone will come along to explain it, I'm Sure.   Best of luck to you on Ibrance, it was an easy treatment for me. It just allowed progression.

• kelq
    kelq Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2019

Looking for your expertise! I had a PET scan last week which showed exceptional results in terms of my tumor and lymph nodes since I started treatment in January. My colon had a lot of uptake on the scan (lots of yellow, SUV numbers around 16). The reports says not sure of significance and my doctor said don't worry. Of course I'm worried! Any ideas from those of you who have been getting scans for a while? Thanks!

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited May 2019

Curcumin inhibits CYP3A and CYP2C9

What this could mean to your treatment, depends on whether your drug utilizes one or both of these enzyme pathways. As well, it depends on whether the pathway is used to activate the drug, or to deactivate the drug.

For Palbociclib, CYP3A is involved in the deactivation of the drug, and strong CYP3A4 inhibitors are to be avoided. They will increase the level of the drug in your body.

For Letrozole, Cyp3A4 and Cyp2A6 catalyze it into its active form. Thus, there is a potential for Curcumin, being an inhibitor of Cyp3A to decrease its effectiveness.

Whether these interactions occur at levels that can actually impact your treatment is open to debate, but the above is some of the theoretical potential for adverse drug interactions.

As well, green tea also inhibits Cyp3A4, Cyp2C9 and Cyp1A2, having similar potential for adverse reaction with letrozole and palbo.

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited May 2019

Airlinegal - so happy for your good news!!!

Jaycee - hoping you get similar results.... thinking of you.

Husband- your explanation is so clear. Thank you for that!

Love to all,

Lauren

• cure-ious
    edited May 2019

excellent explanation, Husband!!

About the measles, I think the MOs are not so concerned because although our neutrophil counts do go down when taking Ibrance, we aren't actually immunosuppressed the way that people taking chemo are, where they have to be super careful about exposure to viruses and germs, etc. This is because Ibrance justs arrest the cell cycle of the neutrophil, the cells are all still there, and when you stop the drug they jump right back into action. By contrast, chemo kills those cells and suppresses the bone marrow, which takes a lot more time and is much harder to recover. Totally different deal..

• Hollyli1202
    Hollyli1202 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2019

Airlinegal - great results! Happy for you.

Husband - thanks for the explanation.

Miaomix - I too am curious what the trial is called. Let us know when you know!

Jaycee - hoping scans are good.

Pat - I too, will be on a PARP inhibitor if Fulvestrant/Ibrance fails. I am BRCA2+. That's why I got bc at 35.

Kelq - not sure what to make of your PET results. Perhaps the tracer was metabolized and was waiting to be "bathroomed" away. My pet scan said it couldn't pinpoint cancer in my kidneys bladder and such because it was waiting to be peed out. I am sure someone else can give you a better explanation.

I am on week 3 of my second round of ibrance. When I got day one bloodwoork, my ANC was at 1.12. At my 15 day check, my ANC was at 1.2 - it went up! Can't wait for my week off. I have been noticing that my voice is consistently cracking. It is like I am going through puberty. I don't know if it is because of allergies and mucous build up, the drugs, or something else. The tumor is in my supraclavical area. This of course is giving me some anxiety. I will have to ask my MO on Wed when i meet with her. Also, my MO is leaving the practice. She is my 3rd MO.

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2019

Hi; I'm waiting to get the Shingrix shot.....it was ordered through my drug store but I did get the new pneumonia shot....or perhaps it was old and needed to be renewed.

Moomala; Perhaps having Bactroban around to rub under your nose for those tricky piano students or when out and about would be helpful. It's an antibacterial but it was recommended here. You need a doctors requisition for it.

Cathy

• snooky1954
    edited May 2019

Thank You Husband.  Very grateful..  Would you know if Curcumin is alright if you're having Taxol chemo?