Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited May 2019

Just to clear up any confusion regarding the trial that Miaomix is enrolling in https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03519178

The study drug is not actually Ibrance, although the doctors make it sound like it is by saying things like "Pfizer wanted to make Ibrance work without an aromatase inhibitor". The compound is a brand new drug, doesn't yet have a name, and it's only known by it's number - PF-06873600. It is about 100 times more potent than palbociclib/Ibrance on both CDK4 and CDK6, and it has very strong CDK2 activity as well. It is also about 10 times more potent than abemaciclib/verzenio. That's why they are so excited about it working as monotherapy.

Miaomix, good luck with the trial, may the drug be gentle on you and tough on the cancer!

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited May 2019

Cure and Miao..I love you both.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited May 2019

I'm still confused as to how the stronger CDK2, 4, 6 inhibitor could work in ER+, PR+ without a hormonal. If you hit the pathways harder, will the estrogen and progesterone not still feed the cancer? I'll go read about the trial. Maybe I should have done that first. Thanks for posting it, Piggy.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited May 2019

OK, I get it. It's a TRIAL where they TRY stuff. Miao, you are very brave. Thank you.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,572
    edited May 2019

Piggy, fascinating to hear about this new trial and wouldn’t it be fabulous if it was super effectve?

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited May 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7018137/N...

New BC recurrence test in trials in Australia.

Love from PatGMc

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited May 2019

Hi all,

Happy Mother's Day!

I've posted a similar message on the liver cancer thread....I wanted to thank you for the additional information about the trial, your support, enthusiasm about the potential outcome, and encouragement, I need them, but please be aware that deep down it's only the FEAR of starting conventional chemotherapy that's driving my actions....

My trial starts this Tuesday, and I have yet to open the folder and actually read what I'm getting myself int, because I know it would make me want to quit before I even start....so please keep some perspective....and hopefully I'll be able to follow the advice of Lady McBeth by "screwing my courage to the sticking-place / And not fail you or I"

So let's all pray that the people conducting this trial are wise, honest, and know what they're doing.

Please continue to provide information, the more I know, the more I'll be able to protect myself from foreseeable disastersss......

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited May 2019

Miaomix-- Prayers coming to you from this direction.  

You are brave.  I tell my onc that I am interested in clinical trials for when things fail with the I/L treatment, but I wonder when the time comes will I follow through and join the trial.  Lands, what we go through that others just cannot "get".  

Hugs from here.

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited May 2019
    Miaomix....sending you lots of endurance and ease of SE if any. I admire your tenacity and strength for this decision. God bless.
  • LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited May 2019

Miromax - Praying that you are among the first to receive a potential miracle that the rest of us will be able to benefit from in the future - as a result of your courage. I did 4 trials with early stage and I don’t regret a single one! I believe they are the combined reason why my BC stayed dormant for more than 15 years. Praying for great results and an easy time of it!

Love to all,

Lauren

• Frisky
    edited May 2019

from your mouth to God’s ears..LaurenH! May you continue to experience good health....thank you so much for the encouragement and blessings!

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2019

Lauren, Excellent point! the research says any given trial is unlikely to be a game-changer, but that those who participate in clinical trials do much better in overall survival- whether that is because the trials do a lot of monitoring and testing and so you get better medical care, and/or because the drugs tend to have some carryover benefit to subsequent therapies, which can happen for example when you are trying drugs that stimulate the immune system, this remains an open question..

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2019

Miaomix; I will be thinking of you and anxiously waiting to hear of your success on this new trial. God bless you for taking it on. This is how it happens and you are a leader for us all.

Cathy

• PatgMc
    edited May 2019

Okay, every now and then we have to poke a little fun at the prospect of dying from something, right?

This meme makes me wish I planned to have funeral because how much fun would this be? I posted it on Facebook today and had a friend complain that I didn't suggest it last week when his friend died from ovarian cancer.

Since I plan to be cremated and sprinkled in our local park, here's my Plan B!

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067
    edited May 2019

Snooky: curcumin is also a blood thinner so not good for anyone who takes meds like Eliquis.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited May 2019

Elderberry

Thanks for the heads up.  

• PatgMc
    edited May 2019

I just saw that Judy Perkins, (the famous MBC survivor CURED by immunotherapy) is recruiting people for a canoeing trip to Outer Mongolia. I have no desire to go to Outer (or Inner) Mongolia but it sure tickles my bones to know she is healthy and happy, traveling and planning her cancer-free life.

Because it happened for her, you and I can contemplate just such a life with no medicines to pack.

The CURE.....believe in it, hope for it, plan for it.....it's coming!

Buy green bananas.

Love from PatGMc

• cure-ious
    edited May 2019

Dang, Pat!! Now I want to be CURED and planning a fabulous trip to Outer Mongolia!!! However I would dispense with the canoe, and instead hunt for Four Seasons (or equivalent) lodging, and to shop the ethnic Kazakh crafts in Ulaanbaatar...

• PatgMc
    edited May 2019

Then you'll be Cure-ious-the-CURED! I'll be PatGMcCURED.

Cool.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,572
    edited May 2019

Oops, sorry, didn’t mean to post here

• LaurenH
    edited May 2019

CURE-ious - I'm following you on your version of that trip!!! Swanky hotels and shopping in exotic places is my favorite way to travel. Count Laur-CURE in, Pat McCURE!

And FYI my clinical trials were:

1 - Herceptin for her2 early stage, combined with taxotere, following AC and continuing for 12 months alone. I didn't get into the arm that got the drug so I dropped out and got it off label on the trial schedule about 4 years before it was approved for early stage.

2 - Boniva or placebo to ward off osteoporosis in women under 40 who shut down ovaries due to BC treatment. I got the Boniva (double blind but I found out after). It worked. Bone loss was normal for my age.

3 - Her2 vaccine trial - traveled to Walter Reed for that one. It was a series of injections.

4 - Arimidex for 10 years instead of 5. I ended up taking it for 11 years because I begged my doctor for 1 more year.

So after triple positive, node positive, aggressive disease at 32, I made it to 48 before I was dx with my single bone met in the rib. I know my aggressive trials made that possible. And I love knowing I was contributing to research (except in the case of Herceptin where I dropped out, but I told my doctor I was getting that drug NO MATTER WHAT!)

If I were to find a trial that fits my needs. I would do it in a nano-second.

Love to all,

Laur-CURE

• Hollyli1202
    Hollyli1202 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2019

You ladies crack me up! I hope one day in the near future we can add "cure" to our names.

Miao- best of luck on the trial!

Lauren - you were so young when you got bc. So happy you are still with us. I got mine at 35. :-/

Off to the MO tomorrow. Wish me luck! It is faslodex and zometa time. Plus I want her to look at my lymph node on my right side. Not sure what to think... and I want to talk about ogilomet.

• LaurenH
    edited May 2019

Good luck Hollii! We were close in age at the start however I think I remember from your story that was 6-7 years ago or so? Anyway - good luck with your MO today and keep us posted.

Love to all,

Lauren

• Frisky
    edited May 2019

good luck HollyLi....may you find the right TX in Faslodex, I have a great nurse at MSK, she always managed somehow, to inject the FAS without causing any pain or swelling while we shared recipes. This med has no side effects to speak of, it's very safe.

And thank you for your support and understanding....XXXOOO

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited May 2019

Hello Miaomix, I gave my MO your Clinical Trial #. She was excited to hear it is in Phase 2 trials. We are both happy to hear it is targeting CDK2 in addition to CDK4,6.

I think I got that right.

• Frisky
    edited May 2019

Sandybeach...phase one research was conducted on cats and dogs, now it's actually in phase 1a. The trial started one month ago, and it's scheduled to last two more months...based on results, phase 1b will soon follow, to test the medication in conjunction with an estrogen inhibitor, such as Letrozole or Faslodex.

Thank you for your support and enthusiasm...may it end up providing a treatment that lasts for many years without major SE. geee I'm really optimistic today...that's because I've had the whole day to enjoy myself, without interruptions or disruptions, no aches and pains and lots of energy....or maybe it's just the effect of the Korean ginseng....hard to tell....

• Hollyli1202
    Hollyli1202 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2019

Miao - I told my MO about your trial today. She said that there is one for cdk 4/6 and 7. I said, nope, this one is 2/4/6. She was intrigued. I think she may look into it. There are so many trials out there!

My dr appointment went well. She is cautiously optimistic that my treatment will work. In fact she noticed there wasn't the fullness in my neck from the tumor and the superficial veins on my neck are a little lighter. My CT scan is scheduled for 6/6. Fingers crossed everything will go awesomely. Thank you for all the well wishes. It means a lot. Btw, she doesn't classify me as ogilometastatic. She says I am on the fence with that status. My new MO, who I will be seeing in July, sounds great. He is really into trials and only specializes in BC.

Lauren, yes you are correct. That was 7 years ago.

• Frisky
    edited May 2019

HollyLi Happy to read the good news, good luck with your CT scan, What treatment have you been prescribed, and did you had another medication before the current one?

Yes, there's a lot of excitement about blocking the CDK2 pathway, but I really don't know what that means...maybe Cure-ious can explain in plain English why it's so important.

Curious, does the blocking of the CDK2 pathway, by any chance, restricts cancer cells access to the glutamine? Their favorite food source after sugar? I was listening to a conference on cancer treatments and they kept on talking about how glutamine is equally essential to sustain our immune system and cancer cell growth, and how hard it is to block cancer cells access to the glutamine, without starving the immune systemcells as well.

If I got this right...then we're really fckd right? No wonder immunotherapy is so hard to get it right..

Targeting Glutamine Metabolism for Cancer Treatment

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC57460...

• cure-ious
    edited May 2019

MIao- I shall happily look that up, but right now am writing a grant application to try to study some interesting research findings we made that involve cdk12..