Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited July 2019

MovingSoccer...can you provide a link to the article please????

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,858
    edited July 2019

Lynn- waving at you!! Happy Summer!!!

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Thanks!!!

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited July 2019

Hi Joyner!! Love seeing you pop in here, even though I know it is difficult to try to keep up with multiple threads. And you reminded me that I did not finish my PM response to you.... whoops! And yes, Jaycee taught me lots of things, and among them how to stalk our old friends on new threads. So happy you are doing well and thanks for the article. I'm so excited to follow your trip!

Holli - it was good to read your MO appt update. He sounds great and it was exciting that your node is no longer palpable. That's the best news!

Gilmary - also celebrating your good news!

Nkb - thanks for sharing your encouragement about AA. So glad to hear you are doing well and not experiencing many side effects.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Love to all,

Lauren

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Well looks like my MO is doing the right thing for me...

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/faslode...

The study of taking Ibrance and Faslodex together proves a good move! :) YAY.

CURE-IOUS....you were right :)

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,858
    edited July 2019

Whoo-Hoo, Nicole!!! There are also earlier studies, done in the days before Ibrance but just going through their final numbers now, showing an overall survival advantage to combining Faslodex with Femara. There are lots of reasons to expect synergy there, of course. Some people might say you should want to "save" Faslodex so you can go onto that after Femara or another AI, but the oral SERDs, a different formulation and significantly stronger, are well on their way, and you can anyway expect that Faslodex with Alpelisib or other drugs will work secondline anyway!!

• kitkit
    kitkit Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2019

Question re my tumor markers:

Hello all,

I am just to begin I/L 4th cycle. For the first time I reviewed my tumor markers and they have risen slightly. CA 15/3: Month #1- 55; Month #2- 47; Month #3- 62. I wrote my MO and he said not to worry; they move around a lot. And month two was less than month 1.

I have read that tumor markers are not exactly accurate - around 80%. I am concerned whether my I/L is working. Scheduled to have scans in a week.

The question: can my tumor markers go up slightly and the I/L still be working effectively to shrink my lymph nodes where I have lobular metastatic cancer?

Thanks so much...I guess I'm having some "scanxiety" .

Best to all,

kit kit

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,327
    edited July 2019

Kitkit, yes, tumor markers move around a lot. My onc looks at the trend over many months. I would give I/L at least 6 months. My tumors were gone at 9 months. I understand scanxiety well, and will pray your scans show great improvement. If not, hang in there--it takes time.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited July 2019

kitkit,

Mine move up and down every month too. In the early months of Ibrance, expect some flares as the meds start to work their magic and you have cancer cells dying off. I would not worry at this point.

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

KitKit - mine were 18 when I was diagnosed with bone Mets, then 28, 3 months later. 3 months after that, the same month as my first NED scan, they were 35.6 - so above normal. The following month, they came back down to 28. I couldn’t handle the stress of tracking these minor fluctuations so my doctor suggested that we stop doing them since they do not appear to be useful in my case. For others they are reliable.

Love to all,

Lauren

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

I never even looked at them..and I really (right now) don't ever plan to...that is one thing I am going to let the doctor worry about. I also was told (when I was still consulting for a MO)by 2 different MO's that they are NOT reliable. I have enough stressing me out I do not want to track those. Just MHO.

• Gumdoctor
    Gumdoctor Member Posts: 618
    edited July 2019

Hi All -

Have been reading but not posting. Lots of things going on since Ibrance failed and liver met/blood clot moved in. I had a very bad time in cycle 1 of Xeloda. Went to 25% dose reduction and was doing better until very high liver lab values came back on day 3 cycle 2. Now have stopped Xeloda and waiting for CT tomorrow to determine where we go from here...

Thought you might be interested in latest liquid biopsy results related to Ibrance failure.

According to Dr Angel, these 2 "alterations" (from Guardant report) are why Ibrance no longer works for me. They are indicative of resistance to Ibrance:

CCND1

CCNE1

Hope this information is helpful and/or interesting. Also hoping everyone here continues ro do well on Ibrance for a long time.

Gumdoctor

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2019
    hi Gumdoctor - I am sorry you are going through another medication change. Here for you my friend. I can imagine the anxiety that this brings up. Hope you are able to find some space to breathe, laugh if possible, get some walks outside during cooler parts of the days. Big hug being sent through this phone to you.

I am doing okay! Wonky! Feeling out of sorts these past days - tired, headachy, and my darn back got thrown out last week. Had an amazing massage yesterday on my back and it is feeling a little better today, but not enough to get me confident to hit the gym. And it’s super hot out. And I can’t seem to get out of bed until 11am most days. Unless I absolutely have to.

Hope folks are feeling as well as can be!

Apparently today is a full solar eclipse in Capricorn ♑️ so there’s that happening too! Just to add some celestial chaos into the mix!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited July 2019

Kitkit, my MO never does TM's because she doesn't trust them at all. My former MO did them when I first started I/L and they fluctuated a lot. Small amounts, constant changing.

Gumdoctor, please keep us posted. And, yes, I stalk you, too now.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited July 2019

Just got the results of my PET scan from last week - NEAD #4 !! That makes a full 18 months of nothing noteworthy on my scans (I get them every six months)! I can breathe again, for a while, at least...

Wishing everyone going for scans the same result!!

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited July 2019

Congrats Ciaci!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2019

GREAT Ciaci !!!!!!!! What we like to hear.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2019

ciaci yayyyyy!!! High five 🙌🏽 my friend!!! Here’s to many many more!!! 💕💕💕💕 hope you take some time to celebrate!!! Love Philly

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited July 2019

Ciaci, thank you for sharing this great news!

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited July 2019

Great news Ciaci!

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

CIACI WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! I am beyond happy for you!!!!!! Praying I can one day say the same thing!!!!

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

Ciaci - I love reading your wonderful news!!! So incredibly happy for you! You made my day!

Love to all,

Lauren

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,569
    edited July 2019

I haven’t gotten a sore throat taking Ibrance, but was wondering about those of you who mentioned getting a them towards the end of the three weeks taking Ibrance—do you think it has something to do with the chemotherapy medicine going down the throat day after day, perhaps irritating the throat lining? Or do you think it is caused by a small infection due to low white blood cell count or something else? Curious as to what you think.

• candy-678
    edited July 2019

Back home from my CT this morning. Now the waiting.

Hope all stays cool today--heat wave here with heat index 105-110 through weekend. I am hibernating inside with the A/C.

• jaycee49
    edited July 2019

Ciaci, great news.

Divine, I never understood the pill on throat theory. These are pretty enclosed. I don't really see how irritation could be caused by swallowing the pill.

Candy, we have 100-105 with no heat index. Just plain heat. But that means our humidity is really low. Today, 29%. We keep four humidifiers going in the house to keep it at 45% for my husbands musical instruments. Backwards-land.

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

GumDoctor - thinking of you. Curious if you got any new insights from your CT scan. I know you will feel more comfortable once you have a new flame plan.

Thanks for sharing the info about those markers and ibrance.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,569
    edited July 2019

jaycee, the pill coating makes sense. Still, I wonder if any kind of fumes or whatever come back up the esophagus as the pill dissolves.

Those of you who count how many cycles of Ibrance you've been on—if your first cycle or two was interrupted because you had to stop due to low wbc count and/or had to go to a lower dose, or stop for any other reason, do you count those sort of “false starts"? My first round was halted after a week and I waited a couple weeks for counts to go back up, dosage was lowered and I began again. Not sure if I should count that first attempt as a “round" of Ibrance.

Ciaci, go, go, go girl! Zoom zoom!

• candy-678
    edited July 2019

Divine--- Good question about counting cycles. I started on 125mg and had to stop midcycle due to low blood counts, then paused to wait for them to come up to "safe" levels, then started on 75mg, then "tweeked" dosing regimen (on 5 off 2 for a while). Sooooo I started out kind of bumpy to the Ibrance Dance. I think Ibrance was new to my MO as well as to me. But when I count the cycles I count ALL of them. I don't know if this is really correct. But that is what I do since my body has been subjected to the drug in some form or another since the start.

• jaycee49
    edited July 2019

You're right, Divine. I remember (you may not) all the stories of people having a little puff of white powder come up with a burp (TMI) after taking Ibrance with food. That was a while ago and not very many of those were reported here. Just a few. I guess I now consider myself the Ibrance thread historian.

I mark when I start a cycle and when I finish a cycle on my Google calendar. I put the number of the cycle next to it on the start date. The confusing thing for me is differentiating between "cycles" and "months." They are NOT the same. It is very easy, and I do it all the time, to use them as if they were equivalent. After a few years, things just didn't add up. To answer your question, I only count cycles when I actually take a full 21 doses.