Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited July 2019

I know, Jen. Right after I posted that to Lauren, I thought to myself, DUH, I bet she wears a HAT.

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited July 2019

Jaycee - I have that skin that never burns, thanks to my Italian heritage. I have never experienced a sunburn in my life. Even 33 radiation treatments during early stage did not cause any skin irritation or redness. I have that, plus I am double jointed. That's it! Those are my God-given gifts. :-)

Thanks for the thought though! For the most part I try to stay in the shade or create shade with a tent but that doesn't stop the pellets of sweat streaming down my face and head. Is anyone else like this: My head ONLY sweats from the lack of hormones. Neck up is sopping wet to the point where it soaks through my hair all the way down into my pony tail - like I just stepped out of the shower. I can't wear a hat because it makes my head even hotter. The rest of me is completely dry. It's the strangest thing.

Here's a pic of me in my personal tent at a baseball game. On this day back in April last year it was saving me from cold and rain but it also fully unzips and provides shade and a breeze.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2019

i have developed a weird brown patch of skin on my forehead - sorta like the skin on one area is darker than the rest of my skin. Someone told me this is due to the antihormonals - does anyone have experience with this?

I was told to wear a zinc sunscreen on my face to prevent this from happening more.

My MO seemed unconcerned about my being in the sun on the medication regime I am on. Has anyone heard differently?

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

I meant to comment on Nicole’s post about a raspy voice. I get this too (it’s often part of the whole sore throat, URI thing but some months it’s just voice loss). Voice loss (which can cause the raspy thing) is a stated SE of ibrance. I do think for some GERD plays a role. There have been months where my voice is completely gone and other months where it is just raspy.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited July 2019

Lauren, thank you so much for the post ...I felt like my post kind of got lost in the shuffle and was hoping some one had seen it and might have some input..I was going to repost it today.

Yea I agree with you..I think its either from GERD and/or just a SE. I definitely have it though. I definitely got the Demi Moore voice right now. lol

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2019

Hey all. I started a new topic yesterday. I wanted to copy the link to this thread and a couple more threads to get some responses. Thanks.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

Yikes Philly, that stinks! Do you think they are just sun spots (sometimes called age spots) that are caused by sun damage but appear during menopause? Maybe they are accelerating with our hyper-menopause?

Here’s a link that explains this: https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/skin-care/skin-care-during-menopause

Also I know Clinique sells a product specifically for this that friends of mine have mentioned and said works...

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

Hi candy / thanks for sharing your new post. I don’t have any insights on your question or I would respond. Hoping others do!

Love to all,

Lauren

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited July 2019

Lauren, with you on this

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited July 2019

lauren thank you so much for the tips!!!! Dang menopause!! Sometimes I am like WTF am I doing being in medical menopause (starting at age 40). It is the pits!! Although I REALLY don’t miss my menstrual cycles. That’s only the really good thing about it.

I do feel like my face is looking older and interesting that the skin can do this browning/darkening thing because of it, makes sense!!

I’ll check out that product :-)

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2019

Friends, this is my semi-annual pitch for something that helped me when I had the big, bad hot flashes after chemo-induced menopause in 1994. This helped keep me from waking up drenched many nights.

Chillow, available on Amazon. See below:

https://www.amazon.com/CHILLOW-Pillow-Cooling-Pad-...=sr_1_6?crid=EKA1WK3M8YU7&keywords=chillow+cooling+pillow&qid=1563781505&s=gateway&sprefix=chillow%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-6

Love from PatGMc

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,569
    edited July 2019

I went through a year or two of hot flashes which then subsided for the most part. I learned that wearing v-neck shirts, rather than rounded ones, collared ones and of course turtle necked ones, go a long way to keeping me cooler.

I also only wear clothing made of cotton or cotton blend. The cotton is key to allowing my skin to breathe. None of this solid rayon, polyester or acrylic stuff which cause me immediate breakout sweat. The first thing I look at when clothes shopping is fabric content, and pass up anything without cotton. Rules out over half the selection and takes a little more time to find sweaters and jackets with cotton content, but they are out there.

I also only use cotton or cotton blend bedsheets. No microfiber or solid polyester.

And of course, I wear layers, putting a sweater or jacket on and off all day long when needed. We have overhead ceiling fans in all rooms and from spring to fall, they are always on low and supplement the whole house air.

Lastly, I was surprised to realize that wearing facial foundations did not allow my skin to breathe! I had many more hot flashes when using it. A year after diagnosis, I researched then purchased all new cosmetics, good ones without the bad stuff like parabens and sulfates, ect. I bought translucent powder and powder blush and a light, creamy product that blended in to give the skin an even tone. It was fun and I liked how the results looked. However! I noticed a connection between applying this make up with getting hot flashes, so it's a rare occasion now when I use them, opting mostly for eyeliner, eyebrow pencil and lip gloss. I'd wear mascara but after chemo in 2011, my lashes never came back much.

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

Hi Devine / thanks for the tips! I'm a cotton girl too and it does make a difference. Funny - I have absolutely noticed that liquid foundation can be a trigger so I have altered my products, as well. When I know I'm going to be outside and in the heat- only a slight application of moisturizer- sunscreen on my face, but I do wear eyeliner, mascara and lip stuff. I also lost a lot of lashes with original chemo (taxotere was the culprit) but I have gotten eyelash extensions for years now. It is the one appointment I will NEVER miss because I always had long thick lashes so extensions make me feel like ME. Plus my lash lady doubles as my therapist and I love our time together.

Love to all,

Lauren

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2019

Don't get me started on Hot Flashes !!!!!!!! LOL. Oh my Gosh. I don't wear make up at all. I did before the cancer, but not now. It would just be a puddle of a mess with the sweating. I wear short sleeve tops year round. I don't know if they are cotton, polyester, or what. Just comfortable and loose. I sleep with a sheet only - even in the winter. And still get up in the mornings with damp nightclothes. I have been carrying around on of those foldable fans in my purse so I can whip it out at a moments notice anywhere I am. Fun Fun. But a small sacrifice for the cancer to be kept at bay.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited July 2019

have folks found a decrease in hot flashes who are also taking antidepressants? Since I started on Lexapro and it has calmed the industrial hot flashes down by like 70% I am so grateful to share!!! I still flash but not nearly as much as before. Lexapro is similar to Effexor in that it is an selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. So I am not only having less anxiety and depression but also so many less hot flashes

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited July 2019

philly thanks I’ll ask about that antidepressant. Mainly flashes at night as soon as I try to relax fan on fan off covers on covers off.

Pat I’ll be on amazon right after this post for the chillow.

Tanya

• Hollyli1202
    Hollyli1202 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2019

Lauren- I love your tent set up!

Nicole - I had a raspy voice on Ibrance. I thought it was because I was shouting a lot (at the time Inwas planning a function at daughters’ school). The raspy voice would come and go. It even came with a cough. The cough ended up being a pleural effusion as it got worse over the weeks. Keep an eye on that. Apparently BC likes to camp out in the pleural area. I still cough - but infrequently - since I still have some fluid, but not enough to drain. Hope that helps.

Again, thanks for letting me linger on this group even though Ibrance failed me within three months. My tumor change from HR+ to HR-. So I guess I am TNBC

Gum - I hear you about treatments. Sometimes one goes theough them like M&M candy. I am hoping my new drug is more like an everlasting gobstopper.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited July 2019

sooooo I have never been much into skin care but with this darkening of my skin on my face I just went into Sephora to see if I could find the product that LaurenH recommended :)

I ended up wayyyyyyy overspending but I’m telling myself I’m worth it!!!

The woman in the store who helped me was also an esthetician and she was awesome. They didn’t have the Clinique product but she highly recommended one by Murad. I ended buying their cleanser, pigmentation serum and also daily moisturizer.

She was well aware of hormonal medications playing a role in this phenomenon of the skin on the face. Happens with pregnancy too for some women.

Seems like the main thing she was encouraging was using products with vitamin C in them as they really help brighten skin. These are what I got:

Looking forward to seeing how they all work!!

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Holly where did you have your cancer?? bones? Liver? Lungs?

I will message my doctor today that sounds scary.

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

OMGosh Philly - so fun! An afternoon at Sephora is like going to amusement park for me. Murad is good stuff - but yes, expensive... just think of all the Sephora points you got for that. Now you can get free samples of stuff you never knew you needed! :-)

Pat - I’ll be ordering the chillow. When is your speech?

Love to all,

Lauren

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

holly - yes! I hope you and gum doctor find your forever gobstoppers - Great analogy!

I do worry about pleural effusion when I cough a lot but my cough comes and goes. It doesn’t get worse. At least not so far. Doctors listen to my chest often and all day it’s clear. nicole - keep an eye on an increasingly worse cough, but don’t get worked up over a cough that comes and goes

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Lauren, thanks :) I have only had this cough since I had that Upper Resp. Infection 2 weeks ago. It doesn't feel like it is in my lungs...at all. When I cough I feel like congestion and sometimes I get some clear phlegm up. I will try not to worry.

• karenfizedbo15
    edited July 2019

Oh ladies, you made me laugh! Cosmetics and hot flashes .... yip...Your face just melts. I look a helluva lot better wearing make up but keep it very light.

Just FYI I also had an offer to be an oncology massage case study from a 5 star spa in Glasgow who know my circumstances as I saved up my pennies to go for a proper spa day and clearly had to check they could deal with me. Makes me very angry that so many spas will not touch us when we are most in need!

Ehhh thought about it for all of 3 seconds. Been a lovely free massage session with access to all facilitiesand have 2 more sessions to go which will help qualify a therapist in oncology massage.Might be worth you ladies exploring locally?

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,569
    edited July 2019

Haha, I agree with Lauren about how fun going to Sephora is. Philly, keep us posted on how your products work for you.

• karenfizedbo15
    edited July 2019

Re pleural effusion, that was my first symptom of metastasis. No cough, but struggling to breathe climbing stairs and the like. Drained 1.5 litres of fluid from right lung. Pretty scary! However no recurrence over at least a year now on Ibrance/ let but very conscious of the cough, which as Lauren says, comes and goes. Trying not to worry about it......

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited July 2019

Karen, pleural effusion was my first met symptom, too. Had it drained six times. After starting I/L, it is gone. I'm pretty sure it was diminishing before I/L but we'll never know. They never found any malignant cells in it, though. Former MO kept looking for something to blame it on but never did. Holly, so glad yours has not grown back. That's a good sign. Also, Karen, I can't have messages because of my MS. Just hurts too much. But that sounds like a really good deal. I looked for oncology messages where I am but didn't find any. Maybe you have to be in a bigger place.

Enjoy your remaining spa days.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2019

Re: Coughing

There are months when I have a cough and months when I have none. It is definitely the Ibrance as I don't have it on the week off. When I have nausea and vomiting (WTMI!) and the cough during the same period I throw up brown phlegm (Nicknamed Phlegm Kadiddlehopper). The cough is gurgly and noisy and probably sounds like a death rattle. I can never sneak up on anyone, that's for sure, but I'd have to get up off the sofa for that.....

Re: Survivor Luncheon Speech

Thanks for asking, Lauren. It's Saturday and I asked to speak first so I don't curl up to take a nap during it.

Re: Eyelash Extensions

Lauren, what kind does your technician use? I haven't tried them but may on your recommendation.

Re: Clinique Products

They sell them on Amazon now! I bet we'll eventually be able to get everything on Amazon....Ibrance?

Re: Cotton

I agree that it makes a big difference with clothes and sheets. I'm thankful to be 69 years old with far less dramatic flashes. I remember the ones at 44 and how I'd be burning up one minute and freezing the next. My husband used to say he could get whiplash in the bed with the covers flying!

Love from PatGMc

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2019

try bamboo/cotton combo for shirts sooo soft.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Thanks Lauren and Pat... I did go to get a chest X-ray to be safe. Clear as can be they said . So that is a relief!!

• LaurenH
    edited July 2019

LOL, Pat - only you have a nickname for your phlegm! Seriously laughing out loud at that!

Nicole - awesome news! And further proof this drug causes a cough.

Lash extensions - my lash lady/therapist Anita uses X-treme lashes at her Aveda salon. I usually get them every 3-4 weeks depending on my schedule. Anita is a pro and she applies them in a very natural way. They are not crazy long or unnaturally thick. I have to also use Lattise (prescription lash growth product which I buy online) as well to have enough lashes to attach them to as I have a few bald spots without Latisse. We tried going without the latisse for a couple of months (it’s also expensive so we wanted to see if we could go without) but she didn’t have enough hairs for some sections. We eventually figured out that i can use the Latisse every 3 days and it still generates enough for her to work with so i can stretch that product out to save $. Anita promised me that if I end up in hospice, she will come and do my lashes until the very end. She also does my permanent make-up tattoo brows, which I also lost from taxotere. And she prays with me every time she does my lashes. She also volunteers as a life coach for women in a domestic abuse shelter. Posting her picture because she is an important part of my MBC journey. Pat - I hope you can find an Anita!