Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• janky
    janky Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2019

Good morning all! Wow - so much great information, support and sharing! I too have the memory lapses, and also blood pressure pill reduction. Interestingly, we noticed during my chemo treatments that my BP would be low and the NP said usually the opposite is true, BP goes high. i had been on bp meds for years, so we reduced the dose by half, and now my GP suggested going off for 3 months, checking monthly for any changes - so far so good after 2 months with no meds. I was on Ibrance 125 but had to lower to 100 as I had really low neutrophil levels even though my overall health is good, one nasty germ and my body wouldn't be able to 'fight' well. Even at 100 I have to wait 2 weeks off instead of 1, but that is okay as I hear that others have success with 21 days Ibrance and 14 off (I have been stable since dx December 2017). In my first 4 cycles, on the week off I would get a bout of nausea, that passed as soon as I bent over the toilet, and For the first 10 cycles I had random diarrhea, now at cycle 15/16 I seem to have leveled off, with overall fatigue and body aches and pains being the lingering SEs. Hope this helps some of the newbies. Take care everyone!

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2019

about heart health and Ibrance, this article talks about the possible effects of chemo-meds on the heart. It says, β€œA newer type of therapy, cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 inhibitors such as Ibrance (palbociclib) and Kisqali (ribociclib), can cause an abnormality known as QT interval prolongation.β€œ

Link to article: https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/breast-cancer-treatment-can-raise-heart-disease-risk

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2019

Lovefromphilly, I knew that Kisquali could cause QT interval prolongation, but 1st time reading that about Ibrance.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited August 2019

I have the memory loss and forgetfulness too. Some months it's worse than others. I was supposed to take a licensing exam and decided to retire and save the money and time. I never know when I'm going to have this memory lapse. I help my granddaughter with math homework and always double check our answers because ...

I always had low blood pressure even before BC and MBC and sometimes its gets really low. My DH is on blood pressure meds and when I cook I use little to no salt. My doctor told me to eat potato chips when it gets too low lol. All I need is doctors orders for junk food.

Have a great day all.

Tanya

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

janky wow you have been NED since 2017? That's awesome how encouraging...do you take faslodex and letrozole too?

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited August 2019

tanya that’s so funny! I have always had low BP and I LOVE salt!!! I get weird looks from friends and loved ones sometimes about how much I salt my food at times. My BP is generally around 100/60 mmHg and sometimes lower. I usually feel dizzy and slightly lightheaded and also kinda heavy when it’s on the lower end.

Sandibeach - I remembered reading something about Ibrance and heart health maybe in the drug handout that comes with it? But this news I shared was from a quick google search. I didn’t go too in depth.

It seems like people with heart and/or cardiovascular conditions on any chemo med (even Ibrance)need to be monitored more frequently?

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2019

This morning, I forgot to put on my underwear with my sundress. I want so badly to blame Ibrance.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

Sandi you make me laugh sometimes so hard!!! Thanks for that LOL

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2019

Sandi,

That is too funny!

• janky
    janky Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2019

NicoleRod - My MO won't classify it as NED, just 'stable' BUT that totally works for me! I was originally dx in November 2016, mastectomy December 2016, followed by chemo and radiation which ended June 27, 2017, upon which I started Letrozole. I then had a scan that showed the mets at the end of November 2017, biopsy early January 2018 confirmed stage 4, and I started Ibrance 125mg February 2, 2018, with xgeva shots every 3 months. I was lowered to 100 mg in April and so far so good. I get ct and bone scans every 3 months, next ones are at the end of September. Stay well everyone!

tanya - last summer my doctor recommended cheezies to raise my bp - easy prescription for me to follow.

Sandi - too funny! (blame it on Ibrance!)

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited August 2019

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Sandi!!!!!!!

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2019

so what would explain putting a shirt on inside out 6 times in the last 10 days?

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2019

That means you put it on right four times. Good enough.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited August 2019

Good one Jaycee. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited August 2019

I've forgotten what's a shirt?Winking

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

I must be in pretty good shape. Look at the MATH I did.

Sandi, being naked in that area is actually healthy for it. I have made that area feel much better this last month by going naked at night. I had a friend I worked with who had chronic vaginal yeast. She wore skirts with no underwear all the time. I found out one day when she got her period unexpectedly and had no "supplies." I was post menopausal so I had no "supplies" either. Bad spot to be in but she said doing that (no underwear) kept the yeast away. I can attest to it myself.

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited August 2019

Ginny, yes my Mom is anti-coagulated. Not sure that's such a good thing as Ibrance is tanking her platelets. She doesn't have neutropenia which is hysterical.

BevJen, the blood pressure question is a good one. I wonder if that's could be the source of the problem? I can suggest a home bp monitor. The ones from the srug store aren't really very good but they'll at least give some idea of whether her bp is tanking too.

Really she needs to talk with her cardiologist. He's an electrophysiologist so with luck he'll think about the physiology involved.

I agree with everyone that Ibrance probably has all sorts of drug interactions we don't know about. It hasn't been on the market very long.

• MuddlingThrough
    MuddlingThrough Member Posts: 655
    edited August 2019

Thanks, jensgotthis. First faslodex shots today and stopped letrozole yesterday per my doctor's instructions. I really hope it works. I don't want to stop Ibrance yet.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited August 2019

hi! I think Simone80 a while ago asked how my feet are doing - apologies if I have the person who asked wrong!

Feet still are painful. I couldn’t bring myself to take a break from the I/L...got nervous and I honestly screwed up the dates I was going to stop and ended up taking the I/L the first few days I was wasn’t supposed to take them, and so I didn’t want to totally mess with the medications too much.

So, in summary, I never took the break. My feet still hurt. I have had a couple lovely massages where we focus on the feet. Sometimes my ankles are aching too. The massage really helped my ankle soreness and I am just dealing with the discomfort as a very small price to pay to be stable 😊

My MO does want me to take prescription strength alleve 2x/day for two weeks and I am just being a bum right now and not really doing much of anything, barely taking my supplements...just the necessary meds the I/L and my antidepressant.

How is everyone else doing and feeling?

πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’œπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2019

So sorry to hear about your feet, LoveFrom Phl ! Sorry that I don’t have any input for that but have you tried anything for neuropathy? Maybe that would help as it can be a side effect.

I’d like to ask if anyone has periods of insomnia and what are they taking for it ?

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited August 2019

Lovefrom Philly, I'm still over here waving the Turmeric flag for the foot/body aches! Also, what about switching AIs? Perhaps to Arimidex? I still have some aches but nothing like I had on letrozole. 34 months and counting! I hope you feel better soon!

https://www.amazon.com/MegaFood-Turmeric-Inflammat...=sr_1_4?

keywords=turmeric%2Bjoints&qid=1565759141&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1

May I take a minute to celebrate that I've survived to see my sweet granddaughter become a high school Sophomore? She has beautifully survived her father turning into something he wasn't, getting a divorce and moving out this week. You can imagine all the in between. Some of you have lived it. My daughter has used all the survival skills she gained with breast cancer to weather this storm with grace. God is so good even in the worst of times.

Love from PatGMc

• time-for-a-cure
    time-for-a-cure Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2019

yes, I do have bouts of insomnia, often followed by a period of fatigue. I take Melatonin but it does not always work. Hope someone has some good suggestions

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2019

Hi Philly,

Sorry to hear you're feet are still hurting. I haven't had a problem with that until this month. It's funny how the ses change from month to month.

time-for-a-cure,

I am not sure if you live in a state you can get medical marijuana but CBD\RSO oil helps with insomnia. You don't need much, I started with a drop the size of a 1\2 a grain of rice. I also take melatonin.

Pat,

Congrats on watching your granddaughter become a sophmore. Those are the things that make all this worth it.

Good night everyone

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2019

Oh Good Grief !!!!! I had my monthly lab tests yesterday. Last day of week off and due to start Ibrance back today Cycle 17. My ANC was 900 (0.9) and WBC 1.8. I saw the results on patient portal. So I took an Ibrance pill this morning with breakfast (about 7 am). Then I got a call from MO nurse at 8am that MO wants me to hold Ibrance for a week and do lab test next Tues to see what levels are. I have been this low before--- Jan and May of this year and several times in 2018 when looking at trend on patient portal--- and we did not delay the Ibrance either time this year. I hate to not be taking the Ibrance. Makes me nervous. But I will do as the MO says. I wonder why she doesn't want me to take it this time?? Go figure.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2019

Now question--- When I restart Ibrance next Wednesday ( I am sure labs will be ok by then ) do I only do 2 weeks or the whole 21 days starting from there??

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

Candy, take the whole 21 days.

Re sleep, I take 0.5 mg of Ativan at bedtime. Works for me. I have been doing this for YEARS. It is a controlled substance so they put you through some rigmarole when picking it up.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited August 2019

congratulations PatGMc!! Yes please take a week at least to celebrate!!! These celebrations are so important and wonderful and joyous! And I am so glad your granddaughter has been able to surpass some of the familial emotional DNA thanks to her mothers grace and wisdom πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

I am going to ask about switching AIs and see how it goes. I guess I get nervous about switching too 😬 there’s a part of me that feels like if my feet are the worst of my pains, then I can push through? I REALLY want to get back to a regular yoga practice. I think that stretching and exercise is also key for me to work through pain. I’ve been in a schlump with exercising this month. Maybe it’s the weather? Just lack of motivation!

I do love turmeric and the benefits of it. I know it is a fantastic herbal medicine. My ND told me that it could make the Ibrance less effective and so I am a little hesitant to use it. But Pat I totally am witnessing you using it and not having less of an Ibrance effect! So, there ya go!

Love,

Philly

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2019

Pat....Praising God with you ! So happy for you all!

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783
    edited August 2019

It's me again. I hope to be more helpful and supportive someday but right now I have yet another question. Did the side effects of Ibrance start right away or did it take some time? How long did it take? Did they get any better with time? I start on Saturday.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,327
    edited August 2019

Pat, yeah for great news! Always want to celebrate here. My oldest Grand is 5 and my youngest was born 2 weeks ago so I have a long ways to reach that landmark. Working on it!

Dutchiris, my SEs took a few days, but then they were on and off. They still vary which is one reason we call it the Ibrance dance. They are pretty mild most of the time. But I can always count on fatigue.