Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783
    edited August 2019

I believe the Mayo Clinic Specialty pharmacist suggest I avoid green tea as well.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited August 2019

Nichole, I didn't know it. I was answering Airlinegal's question.

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited August 2019

That’s a great resource - thanks Sandibeach!

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

Thanks Sandi I see it there. This is just downright scary...because now we have to question every single thing we put in our mouth including food not just supplements to see if it is interfering with the Ibrance. Scary.

Poor Snooky to have to think that having Green Tea, which is suppose to be healthy for us, may have prevented Ibrance from working fully.

Snooky...if that was the case couldn't you try Ibrance again? Maybe tell your doctor about the interference?

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2019

Re: avoiding green tea. I am so surprised and not happy with my naturopathic doctor right now. When I first saw her she told me to drink at least 2-3 cups a day of green tea. Wth do they get paid for.

• simone60
    edited August 2019

Sandibeach,

Thanks for posting that link. That will come in handy.

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited August 2019
    Thanks SandiBeach....good info
  • snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited August 2019

Simone......Green tea is suppose to kill the cancer stem cells which is why I drank it. All the alternatives therapists recommend it. If you don't kill the stem cells, cancer will keep reaccuring.

Nichole, I can't know if it was the green tea? I can't look backwards, I'm in a good place right now. So, it's all good. Besides, grapefruit there were two other things I was told to afford: Seville oranges and Pamagrantes.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2019

From WebMD:

How the interaction occurs:

Grapefruit and Seville oranges may slow down how quickly your body processes your cancer medicine.

What might happen:

The amount of your cancer medicine in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normal.

It seems to be side effect related, not how Ibrance will work or not.

I have a friend in a Facebook group who was dx with MBC when her son was 4. Her son just turned 15.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2019

I was also advised by the pharmacist at Hopkins NOT to eat grapefruit, seville oranges, or pomegranates while taking Ibrance. Other types of oranges are okay. I don't even know what the heck a seville orange is, and I don't eat pomegranates. But interesting, Jaycee, that you mention the side effects part of it. I wish they would just come out and tell us that instead of playing hide the ball.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

But, Bevjen, they love paying hide the ball. Go back and read that post again. I just edited to include a Pat happy story.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited August 2019

I was told to avoid asparagus too. Maybe I read it on here. I do drink matcha tea on occasion but will cease and desist.

Love the pictures of all the grandchildren. I swear I love the breath of my grand babies. I’m looking forward to a visit from daughter and her family at the end of August. Makes me smile just thinking of them.

Tanya

• LaurenH
    edited August 2019

LOVE that story Jaycee!

• nicolerod
    edited August 2019

Really asparagus is bad Tanya were you told to avoid it with Ibrance or with ER+ BC?

EDIT to ADD THIS:

New research on mice suggests that restricting the amino acid asparagine from their diet could decrease the risk of breast cancer spreading to other parts of the body. Although our bodies already naturally produce some asparagine, it is found in many foods such as asparagus, soy, dairy, poultry, beef and seafood. However, the research is in very early stages and further studies are needed to understand whether there is any impact on human bodies. Find out more about diet and breast cancer.

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/about-us/news-...

Maybe you are referring to that??

Wow so now even some vegetables are no good for us...this is getting ridiculous....

• nicolerod
    edited August 2019

Tanya..yea I just posted that same link..lol scary. Now even veggies are iffy.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2019

So if the half life of Ibrance is 27 hours, maybe by day 27 or 28, I can enjoy my cup of green tea or my favorite glass of pomegranate juice?

Just a thought.

• simone60
    edited August 2019

Sandibeach,

Yeah, same here on the green tea. I replaced coffee with green tea. I guess I'll need to switch to black tea or something else.

• LaurenH
    edited August 2019

Simone, what’s wrong with coffee?

I remember when the asparagus study came out last year. It was my favorite veggie.

With some of this stuff, quantity matters. I think I read at one point that you’d have to consume like gallons of green tea a day to get the cancer benefit that was seen in the mice studies. I’m sure a cup once or week or so isn’t going to Interfere with Ibrance. I still eat asparagus every now and then.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,327
    edited August 2019

Lauren, I am with you. I have one cup of coffee each morning as it helps to "stimulate" my bowel and gets me going. The opposite is worse for me...I never knew about asparagus. Looks like we are doomed no matter what we eat. Probably why we don't live to be 150!

• LaurenH
    edited August 2019

Yeah, IntoLight, there is no way I’m giving up coffee. My husband’s nick name for me is LaurBucks, because I am such a Starbucks girl. (Tall Flat White is my beverage of choice). I am currently the customer of the month at my local Starbucks. :-). There are some things that cancer will just not take away for me. Ihave boundaries!

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited August 2019

Jaycee, I love your happy story. I wish we could line up all those long time MBC survivors here and breathe in the hope!

Lauren, you're our touch with fame today....Starbucks Customer of the Month, oh my!

So it's Sunday, friends, and I've read all your posts about what and what not to eat and drink. I'm just sittin' here sippin' my cup of air as that's all that is safe. It's delicious!

Love and Happy New Week from PatGMc

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited August 2019

Breath that air in Pat lol

• nicolerod
    edited August 2019

Pat ... "Cup of Air" LOL that just made me crack up ...so true!!! ha ha ha

• Moomala
    Moomala Member Posts: 397
    edited August 2019

I don't think I've ever seen Seville oranges in a grocery store. And I live in the land of Wegmans so that's saying a lot. The pharmacist who sends my Ibrance said to look for it in orange marmalade, etc but that you can eat regular oranges. My heart was WRECKED over the loss of grapefruit. I've been eating grapefruit daily when it's in season my entire life and sometimes even broiled with brown sugar for dessert. It was a diet staple for me. Ibrance killed that. I remember way back in the 90's when I was diagnosed with BC the first time being told not to drink green tea if you were ER positive. I love tea but green tea is not my gig.

Pat I hope you are enjoying your cup of "air". They'd better not take away dark chooclate or they'll have a revolution on their hands led by me.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2019

You know dark chocolate will be next..

• simone60
    edited August 2019

Hi Lauren,

Coffee is acidic. Eliminating coffee has helped reduce the number of mouth sores I get.

Just added: enjoy your coffee. It's only me. Pat, enjoy your cup of air. Lol

• LaurenH
    edited August 2019

Thanks for the info, Simone. I do get the occasional mouth sore so your info holds true in my case. But I’ll take that trade off!

Pat - LOL!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited August 2019

patgmc you’re so funny. A cup of air indeed. Laurbucks congratulations on your customer of the month award- priceless.

I was drinking matcha tea and now I’ll be back to coffee.i also love pomegranate and enjoy pink grapefruit and haven’t had either since 2017. I also read not to eat star fruits my neighbor has a tree and used to bring them to me.

Tanya

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

I wonder if it would be ok to have the forbidden fruits on the week off.