Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2019

Jaycee49, that was what I was thinking. If half life is 27 hours, then around Day27 or Day28 Ibrance should be totally out of the system. So would we have at least 2 days to enjoy the foods that would normally cause Ibrance to stay in circulation longer? (The feeling is the longer it is circulating and not cleared, the more the SEs are enhanced? Is that correct? Maybe I should just call the pharmacist at Pfizer.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2019

I'm thinking you might be able to eat the bad stuff on day 22-23, beginning of week off. I'm confused by your math.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2019

Jaycer49..I confuse myself frequently.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

I was thinking about the week off strategy for Moomala because she was so wanting her grapefruit. I'm going to MO tomorrow. I'm going to ask her about the week off thing and also about how that conclusion (no grapefruit, etc.) was reached. Sounds iffy to me. In "God we trust. All others must bring data." W. Edwards Deming

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2019

from what I understand, Seville oranges are the oranges that are used to make bergamot- the essential oil used to create earl grey tea!

They are a hearty orange that are not sold in supermarkets because they’re not so edible.

Because of this, I do not drink earl grey tea while taking Ibrance. Maybe I am being a little too nuts?

I usually wait for about day 24 in my Ibrance cycle (so at least 3 days off) to consume the forbidden fruits!! And so far I haven’t had any issues :-) however, I am not chugging a glass of grapefruit juice but rather maybe having a splash in a spritzer. And a couple cups of earl grey tea it sounds good

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited August 2019

Has anyone else had the thought that allowing ibrance to be in our system longer or increasing its potency isn’t such a terrible thing (unless blood counts are an issue)? I know it also can increase potency of your other meds so I’m always hoping it does that with my synthroid and Effexor lo

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited August 2019

'Dr. Sangeetha Reddy is starting a breast immunotherapy clinical trial at UT Southwestern for Dallas metastatic breast cancer patients with high mutational burden breast cancers and looking for interested patients. Research has shown that patients with total mutational burden > 10 have a higher likelihood of responding to immunotherapies, which we hope can lead to longer survival. Total mutational burden can be determined by molecular testing through Foundation Medicine, TEMPUS, or other commercial tests available to all medical oncologists, so you can ask your local oncologist about testing your tumor. NIMBUS, is a clinical trial of Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab (cancer immunotherapies) in patients with metastatic triple negative breast cancer or hormone receptor positive breast cancer (not HER2 positive breast cancers) that have total mutational burden > 10. Patients can contact canceranswerline@utsouthwestern.edu if interested.'

Cure-ious, maybe you have some thoughts on this? Opdivo and Yervoy are the immunotherapy drugs. I have a friend with widespread Malignant Melanoma who seems to have been cured with these. No evidence of disease for years.

Love from PatGMc

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2019

Wow, Pat, thanks for posting that. According to my Foundation One report, I have over 25 mutations. I, too, would be interested in hearing what Cure-ious has to say about this one.

• Moomala
    Moomala Member Posts: 397
    edited August 2019

I will look forward to your MO's response with grapefruit dreams Jaycee (I'm a Janet too) Thank you for checking. I see mine in a few weeks and we shall compare responses.

• BevJen
    edited August 2019

Apparently also going on at Dana Farber, according to Clinicaltrials.gov. Trial is recruiting.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

Let me repeat the info about grapefruit, etc. from WebMD:

"How the interaction occurs:

Grapefruit and Seville oranges may slow down how quickly your body processes your cancer medicine.

What might happen:

The amount of your cancer medicine in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normal."

So, Jensgotthis, my thoughts exactly. This seems to be side effect driven. Maybe having the bad fruits would be GOOD. Especially if you are on a lower dose and don't have any side effects. How's that for spin?

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited August 2019
    Positive results in a good way today. So far Pet Shows clear and no tumor in lung. Bones good also. Yeah!! Nothing going on...lets hope it stays that way for a long time. Onc did say that for early stage breast cancer they are starting to give Ibrance along Letrosole or whatever inhibitor to help prevent MBC.
  • intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,327
    edited August 2019

Airlinegal: Hooray! Doing a happy dance for you. Let's hope I join your good news on Friday when I see my onc!

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2019

Airliner,

Congrats on the good pet. I'm doing a happy dance for you too!

Intolight,

Good luck on your scans this Friday.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2019

Airlinegal- Happy Dance !!!! I too read that they are using Ibrance to PREVENT MBC. But wow with the price tag how can insurance companies pay for all early stagers to use this med---$12,000 a month. And kind of a powerful drug to use in early stage to PREVENT. Maybe for Stage 2 or 3 with high grade and high Ki67's. ???? Will see.

Intolight- Prayers for Friday my friend.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

Airline WHOO HOOO!!! So you have been on Ibrance for 3 years?? Did you only have 1 tumor in lung, if so how long on the Ibrance/L did it take for it to go away?

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

Airlinegal, magnificent news! What are you doing to celebrate? Picture us dancing around you in a happy circle!

IntoLight, you've got this! I'm praying for all good news on Friday!

Jaycee, great minds run together! I was thinking the same thing about the grapefruit. You got to know when to spin 'em!

BevJen, I've never celebrated anyone's mutations but I celebrate yours today....all 25 of them! My genetics counselor told me my family's BRCA1 mutation is so specific they think all who have it are related.

Love from PatGMc

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2019

congratulations airlinegal!!!!! 💃🏿💃🏿🕺🏽🕺🏽👯♀️👯♂️💃🏿🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽😻😻😻😻🌈🌈🌈🌈💜💜

• BevJen
    edited August 2019

Pat --

Re my numerous mutations -- I guess they are good for something. Further info about that clinical trial you posted -- the people in Dallas got back to me this afternoon and said they are looking for folks who have at least 10 mutations as shown in an F1 report or similar genomic report. And yes, it is the same trial that's going on at Dana Farber. Those are the only two sites for the clinical trial right now.

That's wild about your BRCA1 mutation -- wow.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

Just came from MO. Less waiting for a change. BUT next month, the snowbirds are back. My MO had NO openings the week I am supposed to see her in four weeks. They "fit me in." You know what that means. The waiting I didn't do this month will be made up for next month. Whatever. I survived another MO appointment. I DID ask her about grapefruit, etc. on week off. She kind of poopoo'd the whole idea. It does NOT decrease the working of Ibrance (or other drugs). It is totally side effect driven. As the cycle goes on, you end up with more drug in your blood steam. Because all my SE's have always been GI related, she emphasized that it is out of the GI tract in four hours. I didn't really get why she went there but she did. (Just trying to shut me up, probably.) Anyway, she thinks these fruits CAN be eaten on the week off Ibrance. Pfizer still only lists grapefruit as forbidden. No saville oranges or pomegranates or star fruits. And the Earl Grey tea? I drink it every day. She said it's fine. By the end of the appointment, her crazy meter on me was going ding ding ding ding ding.

We did leave my port accessed after they did my blood draw to use for my Pet scan tomorrow. One less trip to their office tomorrow. (They seemed unnecessarily giddy about that.) I will have to go back to have it de-accessed after. My regular onc nurse wasn't there so that always makes the appointment seem off somehow.

Woohoo, Airlinegal. Waiting with you, Chris. All will be good.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2019

Oh Jaycee I LOVE you as I sit at my computer and laugh and empathize with you about some of the things you said---" by the end of the appointment, her crazy meter on me was going ding ding ding..." and "they seemed unnecessarily giddy about that". Oh my gosh, I think my MO and staff feel the same way about me !!!!!! Hoping your PET goes wonderful.

I had my repeat CBC today to check ANC. I had to hold Ibrance 1 week. Last weeks ANC was 900 (0.9) and MO had me hold Ibrance. It has been this low before and we didn't hold med, so go figure what was different about last week. So today ANC was 1400 (1.4) and got a call from nurse to restart Ibrance. Duh.

• Moomala
    Moomala Member Posts: 397
    edited August 2019

Phew on the ANC and on the grapefruit. I'm going to ask the pharmacist about the grapefruit - we are just months away from grapefruit season!!!

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2019

Jaycee, I loved your ding, ding comment ! I saw the NP today and she was was looking to get onto the next patient but didn’t address the issue with me.....she’ll probably run off the next time. I’ll be doing my CT before the next appt but they set it up on my week off, which is in 3 weeks. I hope they don’t make you wait a month to get the PET results! Sometimes I cheat on those things and go to Imaging and get the report myself after 7 days however I need only wait 4 days this time.

Congratulations Ailinegal !!! Happy for you !

Praying for you, Intolight!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited August 2019

Congrats airlinegal!!!!

Good luck on upcoming appt intolight

Tanya

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

I just remembered that I asked the nurse to book my next PET/CT at the end of September instead of the beginning. Want to know why? My daughter's birthday is September 14 and in case I get bad news, I want it to be after her celebration. (She'll be 48!) Crazy, huh? I guess when you get down to it, we're forever mothers first. I make no apologies!

Love from PatGMc

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited August 2019

Yay Airlinegal!! Wonderful news! Chris - you are next!

Pay, I just moved my scans back a week myself because I’m going to Nashville with my girlfriends to celebrate all of us turning 50 this year and I didn’t want to do the scan prior to the trip So aim not a downer in case there is bad news.

Jaycee - I love your monthly MO appt updates. Always a good story or something to laugh about.

Praying for all of you.

Love to all,

Lauren

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,856
    edited August 2019

Happy Birthday, Lauren!!!

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

Have fun in Nashville, Lauren! Happy #50!

Love from atGMc

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2019

Happy Birthday Lauren!

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

Happy 50th Lauren hope you have a wonderful time!