Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2019

janky, I had the cholesterol issue myself, but the Ibrance doesn't lower the cholesterol, it enhances the effects of the statin - and that is in Pfizer's literature. I decreased my Lipitor dose by half.

• janky
    janky Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2019

Cisco - thank you for proper explanation 😏 has your bloodwork stayed stable on half dose and will you eventually stop the lipitir

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2019

Still reading every line of this thread and thinking about all of you, although not posting much. IntoLight, I hope whatever was on the scan gets taken out by another three months of Ibrance - I like your doctor's approach of not jumping to the next treatment until absolutely necessary.

My latest PET/CT results just posted on the patient portal (strangely on a Sunday!) and there is still no FDG uptake anywhere. Bones only have changes that look like healed lesions, breast tumor still gone, no enlarged lymph nodes. I get to relax for another four months until the next scan sometime in December.

The crazy 50 billable hours/week summer is coming to an end, law school starts up again next week, and I get to spend another semester among youngsters and in the wonderful land of denial. My little girl will be 8 in a few weeks and I will still be there and feeling like myself. I am so grateful for my life right now.

Hugs and best wishes to all.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2019

Piggy, so good to see you and hear that you are doing well. Go get those young whippersnappers.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,327
    edited August 2019

Piggy, happy for the good news! relax and enjoy the day.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2019

Piggy- Glad to hear good news. We need to hear that more often. Relish in it.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited August 2019

Been away for a week in the outer Hebrides and took a break from forums.... my word this one is active! Delighted to hear about several folks good scans and to those of us who have not so good news, we are all here to support. Hopefully have uploaded a video of Pup Fionn, first time in South Uist on the beach.... made us laugh

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited August 2019

Piggy, I guarantee that everyone here is rejoicing with you and holding your success up like a banner. You're going to be one of those long, long term survivors watching your daughter graduate from law school!

Love from PatGMc

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

What is FDG Uptake?

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2019

Ciacio,

What blood test should I watch to see if i need to reduce my Lipitor?

Piggy,

Woohoo on the clean scan!

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited August 2019

Piggy; so happy for your results and your plans for the future with law school. Enjoy and good on you!!!

Cathy

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

Nicole, I hope this explains it.

"What is abnormal FDG uptake?

OBJECTIVE: FDG PET is frequently used as part of the diagnostic workup in cancer patients. Visualization of radiotracer-avid foci suggests the presence of malignant disease. ... CONCLUSION: Unexplained focal abdominal FDG uptake is an unusual finding with causes that include malignant and benign processes."

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

To all of you facing scans or any other challenge this week:

Love from PatGMc

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited August 2019

Dear Patgmc, thank you, I am going to try to be like that hair everyday from now on.

Piggy, dancing with joy for you, along with all the Ibrance dancers who would like similar results from their tests.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited August 2019

Piggy. We meet when I was on Ibrance in late 2018. It didn't work for me BUT I am so happy that it's continuing to work for you. Fantastic news!

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

Nicole, I looked for an answer to your question that included what FDG actually stands for. This was the best one I could find from ACRIN (American College of Radiology Imaging Network):

"PET is a nuclear medicine medical imaging technique that produces a 3-D image of functional processes in the body. A PET scan uses a small amount of a radioactive drug, or tracer, to show differences between healthy tissue and diseased tissue. The most commonly used tracer is called FDG (fluorodeoxyglucose), so the test is sometimes called an FDG-PET scan. Before the PET scan, a small amount of FDG is injected into the patient. Because cancer grows at a faster rate than healthy tissue, cancer cells absorb more of the FDG. The PET scanner detects the radiation given off by the FDG and produces color-coded images of the body that show both normal and cancerous tissue."

The bold text is mine. I think I equate "absorb" with "uptake." That's how I think of it, anyway.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited August 2019

Thanks Jaycee that is a really good explantation of what it means :)

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited August 2019

Piggy! I love your good news and I’m still so amazed that your are tackling Law school with an 8 year old - let alone with this crap disease. You are my hero and I couldn’t be happier for your great news!

:-)

Love to all,

Lauren

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited August 2019

Yip to the chin hair Pat, solution..... tweezers! Quite a nice parallel to the THING. Up it crops, pull it out, but recognise the up cropping means you are still healing. And growing literally!

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

Jaycee, best explanation of FDG ever!

About the chin hair: Ever since 2012 when I was first metastatic and did 6 cycles of Taxol/Carboplatin, my hair came back patchy and wispy and white. I got back maybe 6 frail eyebrows and pathetic eyelashes. Even my nose hairs lack girth. But those chin hairs! They are mighty and strong and black! It's just so bizarre. I have a whole string of people assigned to pluck them if I'm ever in a coma. Even my oncologist has been put in the rotation!

Love from PatGMc

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2019

Love ya Pat !!!!

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2019

janky and simone, my primary doc tests my cholesterol with the regular bloodwork I get from her. Total cholesterol went from 320 to 200 on 20mg Lipitor, then, since Ibrance, down to 148. Since going down to 10mg atorvastatin (generic Lipitor) my last cholesterol reading was 152. We're all happy with that number. If it goes lower, they'll consider going down on the Lipitor, but want to keep it around 150.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2019

Hahahaha about the chin hairs Pat!!!!

I get em too! I LOVE plucking them, feels very satisfying!!

• Moomala
    Moomala Member Posts: 397
    edited August 2019

Plucking chin hairs - ouch!!! I'm a shaver. I am in awe of all you pluckers!

Hi Piggy! Loved hearing all your good stuff!

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited August 2019

The chin hairs are ridiculous over here! I can’t keep up with them

• janky
    janky Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2019

Cisco - thank you! Hope the numbers stay low!

I get the chin hairs too and pluck!

• PatgMc
    edited August 2019

This is some pretty interesting news for folks who must move on from the Ibrance Dance:

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/head-head

We've discussed here whether it makes sense to pursue treatment with one of the other CDK 4/6 Inhibitors and this article makes a case for Verzenio after Ibrance.

Love from PatGMc

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2019

Ladies, you are the best - thank you for all your cheers and best wishes and may we all dance together for a really long time - and for those like snooky "visiting" from post-Ibrance pastures, may they be evergreen for you.

I am grateful for every single one of you - for all the questions you ask and advice you give, the information you provide, the uplifting stories, the laughter, the heartbreaking pieces of your beautiful souls that you share, for all your thoughts and feelings and fears and hope that make me feel less alone in this cancer world.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2019

I just started the most amazing book. Once in a while, I get in the mood for a cancer memoir. I found this just Google searching. Hit the jackpot. The Unwinding of the Miracle by Julie Yip-Williams.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,568
    edited August 2019

jaycee, I read The Unwinding of a Miracle earlier this year. I've read numerous books written by people dealing with terminal illness, all of them amazing in their own way. This one written by Julie Yip-Williams, tho, I consider a masterpiece. Incredible.