Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2019

YAY Chicagoan! I am so happy for you! I think we started right about the same time on Ibrance? You are a little ahead of me. I am thrilled for your good news. May there be continued good news!!

My insurance and MO's office finally worked it out. Ibrance is on its way, being fedex'ed overnight! Whew!

• movingsoccermom
    movingsoccermom Member Posts: 164
    edited October 2019

YAY Chicagoan!!! Always inspiring to hear about folks with stability. Gives me hope for sure. DH is fighting insurance company for me, since its his words that are scathing, not his tone of voice. If they listened carefully though he is WAY meaner than I am. They upgraded a new referral to Urgent, so hopefully this will be fixed soon. But GOOD GRIEF this is inexcusable in every way. Thank you for the reminder about water. Reviewing my sleep on the Fitbit showed I had not had nearly enough water yesterday, so will focus on that today and try to remember to log it. Sure wish there was a sensor on the water bottle talking to the Fitbit. Keeping track feels like so much work!

Thank you LovefromPhilly. I hope your insurance gets the kick in the pants it deserves also and your medicine will arrive soon. Always fascinates me how everyone wants to preach about low stress for cancer patients.......and then the companies we depend upon, make decisions that put our stress levels somewhere out beyond Pluto.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited October 2019

Chicagoan- Yeah!!!! Woohoo!!!!! Congrats !!!! Good to hear it can work so long with organ involvement. I hope with my liver mets it continues to work also.

Philly- Glad you are getting the Ibrance overnighted. No missed doses then, right? Insurance idiots !!!!

Movingsoccermom- Yeah no stress here. Stupid insurance companies. I hope I am stable this next CT, but if so, will I get grief in 3 months when we auth the next CT scan???????

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited October 2019

LovefromPhilly, I'm so thankful for prayers answered on your delivery.

Chicagoan, so very happy for you!!

Love from PatGMc

• chico
    chico Member Posts: 197
    edited October 2019

Fab news Chicagoan great to know that there are a few of us stable on cycle 40 and some people on considerably more cycles

• blmike
    blmike Member Posts: 195
    edited October 2019

Chicagoan - Congrats and thanks so much for the update. It's so encouraging to the rest of the dancers. My wife is starting Cycle #5 Saturday ,and we both get a little depressed at times so this type of good news really is good for all of us to hear!

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2019

So happy for so many and as Pat said ....great to hear answers to prayers .

BLMike, thank you for sharing as I’m sure many of us go through those spells of depression. Personally, I’m going to talk to my Onc about it on my next visit. They say that not only does the diagnosis involve depression at times but sometimes the drugs have depression as a side effect. Patient and family depression need to be discussed with MD.

Praying for you and all of us who struggle at times.

• GinnyO2
    edited October 2019

Need to ask. For those who usually take the flu shot .....should we take when on Ibrance and Fulvestrant ??

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited October 2019

Ginny,

I think some pages back, folks were discussing this. I always get a flu shot mostly because I teach at a university and the students all come in sick -- I didn't even ask and I'm on Ibrance and Faslodex-- just went and got one, and also got the Shingrex shot the same week. Others said the same. If you're concerned, I'd check with your MO, but frankly, I'd rather be protected. Flu can put us on our backs, I think, faster than the Ibrance.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited October 2019

Chicagoan, just to clear up - Chico is the one on Cycle 40, I'm starting Cycle 30 next week. But, for the record, I'm planning on starting Cycle 40 on July 28, 2020!! (the only reason I know that is because I just got a 2020 calendar from a magazine offer, and filled it out for my Ibrance weeks, LOL)

Congrats to all celebrating good news!!

• GinnyO2
    edited October 2019

Thanks BevJen, I’m going to do it tomorrow! Parts of Fl, already reporting a mild uptake in the number of people with the flu here.
    Thanks again!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited October 2019

Chicagoan...that's wonderful news!

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2019

I never got a flu shot before I got diagnosed with MBC. My MO always reminds me to get it, actually. And I have not had any unusual side effects except the typical sore arm/shoulder for a couple days - and I take Tylenol for it.

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783
    edited October 2019

I hope to get my flu shot next week. I work in patient care and it's required.

My neutrophils were 670 on Tuesday so the start of cycle 3 also delayed. I'll have more labs drawn Monday. We aren't planning to lower the dose yet.

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2019

285180B8-CB5A-489D-AB04-285180B8-CB5A-489D-AB04-13B2DF016DFD</p data-verified=

A063F272-5194-4701-9A67-285180B8-CB5A-489D-AB04-13B2DF016DFD

A063F272-5194-4701-9A67-5A50D13795F5">

A063F272-5194-4701-9A67-5A50D13795F5

• airlinegal
    edited October 2019
    Trying to post photo of river cruise down the Daube. Photo of last night in Budapest
  • airlinegal
    edited October 2019

Trying to post photo of river cruise down the Daube. Photo of last night in 285180B8-CB5A-489D-AB04-13B2DF016DFD

A063F272-5194-4701-9A67-5A50D13795F5

• airlinegal
    edited October 2019
    Sorry I am challenged in this area
  • chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026
    edited October 2019

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Pat McG-what is going on with your Lynparza? Look forward to hearing about your successes on that new treatment.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited October 2019

Chicagoan, thanks for asking. I'm taking most of the month off and plan to start the Lynparza in honor of my 70th birthday which is the 23rd. (I may wait until after my oncology appointment on the 28th so we start with fresh blood work.)

It's been a real blessing to feel better each day and now I have no nausea and no indigestion. The fatigue is slowly lifting but I guess 3 full years of Ibrance side effects are not going to be gone in 3 weeks! My mind is remarkably sharper....didn't realize how fuzzy I was.

Love from PatGMcHopeful

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited October 2019

Wishing you great success on Lynparza,Pat. You are always so positive and very witty. I can’t imagine you ever being fuzzy. God bless. Maire

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited October 2019

Good to hear a report from you PatgMc. I guess enjoy the time off to clear your body and mind. And then ready to start Lynparza on the 28th.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026
    edited October 2019

PatMcG,

Thanks for the update. Glad you have this respite from treatment where you can feel "normal" for a bit without the nausea, etc. None of us buy the "fuzzy brain" b/c you are one of the most articulate posters on BCO! Hope you enjoy your birthday month and that Lynparza kicks cancer's butt once you get going.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2019

Well, lots going on! Pat, good that you are on a new plan and feeling OK about it....we missed you for the few days you were away.

Chicagoan great news from you re number of cycles you’ve had stable and good for me as I had a pleural effusion and tumour on chest wall... no bone mets showing ....yet.

I had the flu jab, when I knew my blood should be ok, at the start of a cycle, as others have said. No illeffects apart from the usual tender arm.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,856
    edited October 2019

I'd like to come back to an earlier conversation about statins- many statins are degraded by cytochrome P-450, same as Ibrance, and have the same warning not to take them with grapefruit juice, which inhibits the enzyme. Certain other medications, like the blood pressure amlodipine, also use this pathway. For this reason, these drugs may all have to compete for available cytochrome P-450, and it can be limiting. In this case, the levels of these particular drugs can be elevated (due to slow turnover) or linger in the blood for longer time.

I developed a frozen-shoulder type problem that I suspect could be due to higher than normal levels of statin, which can be associated with muscle pain and weakness. Physical therapy is working miracles, but at night it feels like I have "fresh pain" that makes me think the problem may be the statin and that it will continue so long as I'm taking it.

So I finally had time to look up whether some statins are better than others in terms of using Cyto P-450, and found out that PRAVASTATIN and ROSUVASTATIN do not have the problem- will look to switch to pravastatin to avoid possible complications with Ibrance...

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited October 2019

Cure-ious, good to know there are options. I'm taking my Atorvastatin on an every-other-day schedule right now (has been a few weeks) and I can tell you I definitely have less pain! I see my primary doc the first week of December, so will get my blood work exactly 8 weeks after I started my experiment. I'm curious to see how spreading it out affected the cholesterol numbers...

• airlinegal
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Curious for clarifying the statin thing...my cholesterol is very high and I know I need to take a statin but have resisted.
  • cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,856
    edited October 2019

Ciaci, Will be interested to see what happens to your numbers, I bet every-other-day is just as effective. I'm going to stay off the statin till the pain goes away or at least dies down, then add back to see if that is the cause.

Statins are great drugs and they also have strong anti-cancer activity (Yap inhibitor), and the combination of a statin with NSAID also drives down the CDK4,6 pathway, so should augment what Ibrance is doing. I definitely want this drug, just have to figure out which version and how much. Its also possible my shoulder pain is completely unrelated to statins!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited October 2019

Regarding statins...I was on Lipitor (atorvastatin) and my doctor just switched me over to Crestor (rosuvastatin) because of the Ibrance vs statin interaction. I am on Amlodipine as well but according to drugs.com there isn't any interaction between that and Ibrance. Here is a list of Ibrance interactions.

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/palbociclib,ibrance-index.html

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited October 2019

Hi. I just want to make sure I understand all this info.

If ESRI mutation..SERDS are next (like Faslodex).

IF FGFR mutation, Afinitor is good option.

If PI3K mutation, Alpelisib or Piqray is next.

If become estrogen resistant, but still ER+; the use of Afinitor, Piqray, Xeloda can reverse resistance. Correct?

If RB1 mutation, probably CK4/6 will no longer work? Is that correct?

Anything else to add to this or correct? Or am I being too simplistic?