Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,666
    edited April 2020

Best of luck in the tube,IntoLight!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited April 2020

IntoLight- in your pocket for your scan tomorrow

Hoping all goes well

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2020

Good luck with your PET tomorrow, IntoLight! Hope you have a good snooze while it's going on, and wake up refreshed and happy that it's over for another period of time!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2020

IntoLight...we'll all be with you tomorrow!

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited April 2020

Chris, (Intolight) my prayers are with you for a great scan tomorrow! God is good!

Faith (in the future).

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited April 2020

Good luck with your scan tomorrow Intolight.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 794
    edited April 2020

Candy, I am so happy your counts are higher and no neulesta shot is needed!

Intothelight, I , too am in your pocket for tomorrows scans and will pray for good results for you.

PatMc, I just love your phrase Hope Suits!

Laastra and PNWGirl, welcome to both of you. I am sorry you are here but you are in good company and will gets loads of support here.

I am just finishing my 5th cycle of Ibrance. My oncologist lowered me to 100 mg this cycle. I see her on 5/8 and will be interested to see what by blood work looks like.

"Laryngitis" last September is the symptom that eventually led to the discovery of my cancer recurrence (cancer filled superclavical lymph nodes on the left side). My voice quality improved once I started Fulvestrant / Ibrance but was still pretty raspy and hoarse by 4pm and into the evening. He said it wouldn't really improve but we could try a few injections etc and I am to come back in June. Guess what? I am working much less due to Covid and WOW has my voice quality improved. It is almost normal and isn't raspy after 4pm. SO HAPPY I HAVE THE HOPE SUIT and IBRANCE. My distorted voice quality was really getting to me and I found myself not wanting to socialize or talk. Even though the vocal cord doc said resting it wouldn't help, it sure seems like it has.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited April 2020

IntoLight - praying that your scan goes well today.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited April 2020

Into light, adding my best wishes for your scan!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited April 2020

Just returned from MO visit. Red and white counts continue to go down. Platelets increased. ANC above 1 so I am cleared to start cycle 4 with a dose reduction. Changing to 100 mg

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2020

Received my Ibrance TABLETS in the mail today, so I officially made the switch from capsules. I have a phone visit with my MO on Friday, get my Faslodex and Xgeva injections in the office on Monday and start my Ibrance tablets on Monday as well.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited April 2020

Jack5ie did you request tablets?

Sharing good ibrance scans from my appt yesterday. All clear no active Disease. Ibrance dancing to Earth Wind and Fire 🔥

Tanya

• BevJen
    edited April 2020

Tanya,

Great to hear! Keep dancing!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited April 2020

BevJen thanks. Do you start a new medication next month? When I was at Onc yesterday a lady was there MBC and she was on her Herceptin very low dose that she takes once a week for years. I was shocked bc I read someone on here was prescribed a few 1000 mg. And this lady took 100??? Take care and again thank you.

Tanya

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,666
    edited April 2020

Woot - you go Tanja! Good way to kick off the summer (i know we are a month short yet but close enough this year) :)

• cowgal
    edited April 2020

Congratulations Tanya!

• BevJen
    edited April 2020

Tanya,

Still to be determined about whether I switch meds. I have to have a CT scan in mid May and I guess that will be the determinant. I also need to have a heart to heart with my MO so wish that my doc would NOT be doing these virtual visits or alternating with the NP for visits. We shall see.

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited April 2020

Congrats Tanya!

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited April 2020

Aprilgirl, I'm so happy about your voice improvement. Maybe your doctor won't be so quick to confiscate the Hope Suit of the next person who has the raspy voice side effect! He'll remember you!

Looks like today is a good day for all of us to throw back the negative words we've heard from certain doctors and the Internet. We each are on a unique journey and neither statistics nor another person's journey will be a map for you or me. Scan results, fatigue or discomfort may put my Hope Suit in the laundry for a day or two but with enough encouragement and prayer plus a little art making, I can usually dig it out, dust it off and move forward. How about you?!

While we're at it, let's write the number 4 on a piece of that scarce toilet paper we're hoarding and flush it down the toilet. That number used to be considered a death sentence but we know it isn't. We are here, we're alive and God holds us in His mighty hands! We will not be defined by the Number 4!

Here's my latest work:

"Pin the Tail on the Pandemic Pony.....Free Shipping on Party Pigeons - Today Only!"

#1 in the Lockdown Fever Dreams series

12" x 12" SOLDimage

Love from PatGMc

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited April 2020

Pat, I love your latest piece of art. No surprise that’s it’s sold already! It’s so great that you have your art to keep you going in this awful pandemic! Your always upbeat attitude keeps us all going.

Sending lots of prayers and love,

Faith (in the future).

• PatgMc
    edited April 2020

Here's a giant hug, Faith! Thank you. I'm excited that this piece was purchased by another artist who collects my work so it gets to go and live with siblings! (It's sometimes hard to let them go.)

Love from PatGMc

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited April 2020

Is there any evidence that faslodex plus palbo would work after palbo plus letrozole fails?

• PatgMc
    edited April 2020

Husband, I'm giving that a try right now though my AI was Arimidex (essentially the same action - an aromatase inhibitor).

I took Ibrance/Arimidex successfully for three years, then switched to Lynparza because I had a small amount of progression and was BRCA+. The side effects with that were not good and it didn't work for me anyhow so I stopped after 3 months. My oncologist ordered one of the circulating tumor tests and their recommendation was Ibrance/Faslodex so here I am! I won't have a scan for a couple more months but the discomfort in my sacrum diminished after the first cycle and continues to do so.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I've had no problems with the Faslodex shots. They do three loading doses (one in each hip) spaced two weeks apart and then start once a month shots. Based on advice from a friend here I asked to have them while lying down. (The nurse commented on how much more sense this makes than standing on one leg.) I use a muscle roller stick (see below) on each side several times a day for the first couple of days after. Mostly I just feel slightly bruised so far.

I hope this helps and I pray that your wife is feeling well!

Love from PatGMc

https://smile.amazon.com/Gaiam-Restore-Tissue-Mass...=sr_1_53?crid=BUWPL2WPZK48&dchild=1&keywords=muscle+roller+stick+massager&qid=1588227884&sprefix=muscle+roller%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-53

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2020

Tanya, so happy for you !
    Pat, thx for the dusting off your Hope suit comment! Told I have walking pneumonia today, both upper lobes, but that doesn’t bother me as much as having bolts of pain on left upper abdominal area...though just a few times a week . Praying that they find what’s causing that soon!
    Decided to pull my suit out tonight and get on with life 😉 Toilet paper next.! Can’t wait to hear my daughters laugh when she sees the numbered sheets 😂😂

Love and prayers to you all!

• cowgal
    edited April 2020

Love the artwork Pat and appreciate your optimism. Thank you!

• husband11
    edited April 2020

Thanks Pat. My wife may have to switch therapies. She gets a scan in a month and we will take it from there. Last scan showed no progression after 3 years on palbo and letrozole, however her last two tumor marker tests show a significant increase in tumor markers. She has been taking daily iron supplements for the last 3 months as she had severe anemia. That is now resolved. We are worried maybe the iron stimulated the cancer growth. She has now stopped taking the iron supplement.

• BevJen
    edited April 2020

Husband,

I am in much the same purgatory -- scans late February (CT) and early March (MRI of the abdomen) were stable; tumor markers have been on the rise ever since late January, confirmed again last week. However, I have been on faslodex and Ibrance (because letrozole alone failed after 13 years.)

Has your wife had genomic testing? Not sure if they use that in Canada or not. If so, two things I'd maybe look at and ask her doc about: does she have an ESR1 mutation? that can mess with the aromatase inhibitors. Does she have an ERBB2 mutation (that's a mutation with respect to HER2 status)?

I am going to be scanned mid May again because my TMs have been rising. However, I have been reading about the ERBB2 mutation, which I do have (I do not have an ESR1 mutation). Interestingly, the ERBB2 mutation can mess even with faslodex (or, as I understand it, any anti estrogen therapies -- I think I'm right on that). A company called Puma Biotechnology is testing, for breast cancers with the ERBB2 mutation, a combo of neratinib, fulvestrant/faslodex, and Herceptin -- yup, even for those, like your wife and me, who show up as HER2-. The trial is NCT01953926 and I just checked -- it is being tested in Canada at the British Columbia Cancer Center. I don't know if this is something that could work for your wife, but I know you are a good researcher so thought I'd throw it out there. (This is the trial that ShetlandPony is currently on.)

Good luck.

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 292
    edited April 2020

Husband 11; Did you read somewhere that iron stimulates can growth? My MO just recommended to take an iron supplement ever other day due to my anemia. This is scary.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,323
    edited April 2020

Pat, love your artwork. You always seem to include shoes in a unique way also!

Thank you to all of you who prayed for me yesterday. No results on the scan yet of course but it went fairly smooth. Saw one teenager pull his obviously dirty construction-work type mask out of his pocket (after sitting in the waiting room for ten minutes) and put it on. Sort of unnerving. His mom was sitting next to him wearing hers the whole time. Sometimes I wonder about people... The hospital where I pick up my meds (different one) has you wait in a separate parking lot while an attendant walks back and forth from the pharmacy. Extra caution used with the cards, etc., and it kept me out of the hospital but seemed strange and took a long time. Not sure whether I had the option of going inside as the parking lot was pretty empty so i wondered where everyone was. Since I was starving my DH and I drove through Taco Bell for lunch--sure miss our lunch dates out after medical appointments. It's not the same sitting in the car! Someone could make a mint designing a tray that properly fits in the car like the airlines...just a thought! Stayed away from my granddaughter the rest of the day and went to bed with a splitting headache but feeling better today. So that was my day. Hope you all have a beautiful Spring day. Chris

• husband11
    edited April 2020

The notion that iron stimulates cancer growth in humans isn't clear cut. Its clear that cancer cells exhibit an enhanced dependence on iron. Iron supplementation has been shown to increase the incidence of breast cancer in animal models. I researched it as thoroughly as i could, and I found studies that showed that cancer patients that needed iron and got iron, lived longer than those who didn't get the iron. Yet still, its a concern. I would think the prudent course would be to only take iron supplements when needed, and reduce or stop when no longer needed. Which is exactly what a Doctor would tell you, regardless of being a cancer patient or not. My wife's iron store levels are not yet optimal, but she feels great. Perhaps getting them to normal levels isn't wise, but that's being overly cautious. Her blood hemoglobin is now at the low end of acceptable and she feels fine, so we are going on that.

Quote from below:

Cancer cells exhibit an enhanced dependence on iron for growth and are dramatically more susceptible to iron depletion than noncancer cells, a phenomenon we have termed iron addiction. Nevertheless, despite extensive study, specific links between iron and cancer remain incompletely defined.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC48700...