Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,854
    edited May 2020

I just saw this paper from last September, discussing developing resistance to CDK4,6 inhibitors. This paper says it can happen from increased mTORC activity, and that one way to deal would be to add everolimus (affinitor) to down-regulate the mTORC pathway. They mention a couple of clinical trials that are testing this combination, but they don't mention anything with breast cancer? It would seem that someone must be testing if Ibrance improves the AA regimen? Anybody tried that?

So if anyone is getting worried the CDK4,6 inhibitor might not be working perhaps your MO might add everolimus into the I-F mix?

Here is the paper: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/9/eaax63...

• cure-ious
    edited May 2020

Here is the clinical trial Mis1 is on with the Sanofi SERD and Ibrance:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03284957#co...

Multiple sites open also in Canada and Europe

• cure-ious
    edited May 2020

Mis1 - How did you end up deciding to take this trial instead of just taking Ibrance-Femara?

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited May 2020

SHORT rant:

Received my Ibrance yesterday. Cycle starts today. As I wrote earlier, this cycle is the new formula and new dispensing packaging. The tablets are much larger than the capsules. I am one of those who has trouble swallowing pills. I was able to swallow the new pill but it is larger.

Next, the pills are packaged in 3 dispenser packs (like birth control). Each package contains 7 pills; one package for each week.

To take a single pill you have to push is through and out the bottom on the package. Well, with neuropathy in my finger tips, getting a pill out was a chore. So much easier to open the pill bottle and get out a pill.

I know I will get used to this. Just struggling with the new pac

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited May 2020

DodgersGirl, I'm not good at asking people for help but this might be something one of those who says, "Call me if I can help in any way" would be thrilled to do. Hand over this task and just ask that all the pills for the month be put in your bottle. I've had that neuropathy and I know how difficult simple things can be. I wish I was there to do it for you!

Love from PatGMc

• mls1
    mls1 Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2020

cure-ious,

it was kind of decided for me. The Canadian medical system doesn't cover the cost of drugs and I don't have extended medical insurance so I would have to apply for compassionate coverage, which I later qualified for but anyway the trial had just opened up and I met all the criteria and became the first person in Canada to start.
    The downside is the capsules have to be kept chilled but seeing as how we are all stuck at home anyway right now it's not that big of a deal

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2020

DodgersGirl - I still have the Ibrance capsules, but for my other meds packaged like the tablets, I use my thumbnail to breakthrough the foil back first. Then I push the tablet from front. Been doing it that way for years because it took less effort. Hope that helps.

• dodgersgirl
    edited May 2020

PatGMc— GREAT suggestion. I think I still have the empty Ibrance pill bottle from last cycle!!

SerenitySTAT— I had trouble getting a cardboard piece off the back of the pill packet. I did use my thumbnail to poke thru that silver film over the pill. Hoping my poking them all out at once to try Pat’s suggestion, I will figure out what works for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783
    edited May 2020

I thought I read somewhere that the new ibrance tablets needed to be stored in the packaging they came in. You might want to check that.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2020

DodgersGirl, my husband has trouble swallowing pills as well, and he’s found if he takes them with milk, it’s not as difficult. I’m not sure if you even drink milk, but maybe taking it with something thicker than water just to get it down might help. Of course, I may be telling you something you already know, so if I am, please forgive me.

• dodgersgirl
    edited May 2020

KBL— I had not heard about drinking milk to take a larger pill. Thank you

Dutchiris— I think I recall reading sonething like that, too. Was it here or in the Ibrance papers? I will look thru the packaging papers before pushing out all the pills at once. Thanks!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,323
    edited May 2020

Dutchiris, It was in the email literature about the new packaging and said "Received in--and must be stored in-- blister packs". This was in the chart discussing "Here's What's Different".

• dutchiris
    edited May 2020

I thought I remembered reading that. I don't have the tablets yet. Maybe if my scans are good this month I'll get them next time.

• PatgMc
    edited May 2020

Not to try and flout authority but I can't imagine what it would hurt to put the pills in a bottle. Of all the gazillion pills manufactured these can't be the only ones that must stay in their blister packs.

While I'm wearing my protester suit, what could it hurt to break the pill up in a spoon with milk or water if it's hard to swallow? When it gets inside you it's going to come apart anyway, right? I just can't see having to dread swallowing that pill everyday!

Love from PatGMcJust-Say-No!

• dodgersgirl
    edited May 2020

IntoLight—— I didn’t get an email about new packaging. If you guys hadn’t posted here, I would have been completely surprised with the blister packs

• dibel
    dibel Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2020

I'm thinking the same thing....just chop in half?

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2020

For those having a difficult time swallowing the pill, you may try taking it with applesauce. It's been used in the hospital to help patients with swallowing issues.,

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 794
    edited May 2020

Intolight, I am sorry your scan shows possible progression. We are here for you and I hope you can have your biopsy soon so you can get some answers.

Pat, I really really appreciate your response I to Intolight. I had not heard of Judy Perkins but have looked her up and she gives me hope for all of us.

Penny, I agree with the others that the Pfizer will help you with the cost. Talk to your oncologists office. Pfizer covers my copay. I just finished cycle 5 or 6 (I can't believe I can't remember, but I had to take an extra week off twice so it might be 5?). I have been fortunate to experience almost no side effects from Ibrance/Furvestrant. So far. I did have a mouth sore 2 times but that is about it. I am happy that you joined us and you will find great support here.

• PatgMc
    edited May 2020

For those of you who haven't researched Judy Perkins' story she had exhausted all her treatment options and went through an immunotherapy trial. Not only did her MBC disappear and leave her clear of cancer, she resumed her regular life and has been involved in long distance kayaking races. She's happy and healthy and, by George, fatigue is not part of her life!

You and I have every reason to believe that can happen for us!

Go flush those #4s!! We'll be waiting......

Love from PatGMc

• AnnieLNZ
    AnnieLNZ Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2020

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post...

I've just switched from Letrozole to Ibrance/Fasoldex as my TMs had steadily increased since Feb this year. Really distressed that I only got 12 months or so on Letrozole, but felt hopefull about the new drug combo. Then I had a PET scan yesterday that shows all bone mets are stable/FDG non-avid except for one that is brighter, liver is stable with one tumour reduced, BUT lung pleura has thickened and is very FDG avid with one section quite thick and avid. Plus two new bright nodes. This explains the rise in TMs according to my MO. I guess I'm having a wee panic - ugh the up and downs of stage IV - made worse by my feeling nauseous all day (think that is due to not having a proper dinner last night when I took my Ibrance). So am wondering/hoping there's some other Ibrance/Fasoldex ladies here that have had good results esp. with lung mets.

Thanks ever so much

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2020

DodgersGirl, please let me know if you try taking the pill with milk and it helps, or applesauce, as was mentioned also.

• dodgersgirl
    edited May 2020

KBL— I was able to swallow the new Ibrance tablet last night with just water. Will hold off on milk or applesauce until I struggle to take it with water

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited May 2020

Hi all.

I take large pills with a drink of soda. The fizzy helps the pill go down. Just a thought. Also, I would hesitate cutting or mashing the pill. Some meds are designed to release slowly over time. If you crush or cut, the med is released faster and can be dangerous. Also, concerning storing in another way except blister pack-- depending on the formulation of the pill, maybe the pack keeps it fresh. Some meds have to be stored a certain way i.e. a dark bottle to keep light out. I have not gotten the new Ibrance tablets yet. Maybe next month?

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited May 2020

Prayers needed. My wife seems to have had an internal bleed yesterday and I am taking her into emergency. She is weak, dizzy, and her resting pulse is 100 bpm. I think this is what happened 3 months ago when she had low hemoglobin and now recovered.

By the way, anyone interested in drug, herb and drug interactions, there is a great web site that lists know interaction between herb and liver enzymes. The link is:

https://www.ebmconsult.com/content/pages/cytochrom...

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited May 2020

Prayers for you and your wife Husband11.

• dutchiris
    edited May 2020

Prayers sent Husband 11!

• dodgersgirl
    edited May 2020

prayers said for Husband 11 and wife. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited May 2020

intolight, I'm so sorry for your news. I'm hoping your next therapy gives you a long run like Ibrance did.

Husband, thinking and praying for you and your wife.

I'm looking at my foundation one I requested the copy mailed to me. So the rare mutation my MO mentioned is the KEAP1 but what also caught my attention is “3 disease relevant genes with no reportable alterations: BRCA1, BRCA2, ERBB2". Is the report saying I have those genes? Because I did MyRisk and it said I wasn't BRCA1 or BRCA2?!!? My Immohistochemistry came back low. IC score 1 and TC score 0. I know some of you are good at understanding this stuff, I'm trying to but I just can't wrap my head around it. I'd just like to understand what all this means.

Edited to add: I don’t know where else to post this and didn’t want to make a new thread about myself

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,323
    edited May 2020

Sending prayers for Husband11 and wife. May God provide success protect you as you seek treatment.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2020

Husband,

Hope all turns out well. There in spirit with the two of you.