Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,930
    Options

Teka- aw darn about the blueberry bushes. That is too bad.

I am trying to figure out if the african iris I bought last year is coming back. I see little buds at the base but nothing greening up yet. I read to give it regular plant food in March (whoops) and so maybe now in May I will do that and see if it responds. It is a new plant I put in last year and did beautifully. I hope it comes back. Anyone had any experience with the african iris (they are white?)

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

Jazzy I had never heard of African iris. I see it is zone 8 to 11. That's why I haven't heard of it here in zone 5.

I love blueberries and would be heartbroken to lose blueberry bushes! What a shame.

I just saw a big fat rabbit in my yard. Perhaps he likes sedums. It's definitely been eaten because there is green there, but just the leaves have been chomped off. But it seems a rabbit would eat from the outside. Who knows.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

I had a rabbit eating in my garden.  The little brat wouldn't eat lettuce which I had plenty off.  She only ate the sprouts of cantaloupe.  After planting for a third time, I had to put a screen around the planting to keep the critter out.  She left the garden without eating anything else.  Go figure.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    Options

Two hobbies- Sedums are succulents? Not sure of the difference. Some years snails eat my succulents.

• TwoHobbies
    Options

Yes, sedums are succulents, Coraleliz. I imagine its the big fat rabbit, now that I've seen him. Ananda I can't even sway them to another crop, you say. Hmmm, plan B.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

Quiltlibrarian.. yes I live close to you, Just South of Leduc.

Is today April Fools Day??????????????  Woke up to 6 inches of snow with heavy snowfall warning in effect for the day. Where are my lovely flowers? Just plain cruel!

• quiltlibrarian
    quiltlibrarian Member Posts: 31
    Options

70charger  nasty surprize your snow. We did not get the snow or rain. I expect that we are not out of the woods yet for the snow.

My husband loves your car picture. he use to have one.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Good evening ladies- we are getting LOTS of rain right now which is unusual for the desert and also for this time of the year. My yard and gardens are ecstatic and will have more pics of things blooming for you soon!

The northern part of the state got 10 inches of snow last night!

• ananda8
    Options

Looking forward to the pictures.

• jazzygirl
    Options

From the rock garden this morning. After days of rain, everything looks very happy! The pink phlox I planted last year has come back nicely!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    Options

In case you didn't know, Saturday May 2nd is "naked gardening day" Not happening at my house, but the crazy little island that I live on, I'm sure there will be folks participating!! GG

• jazzygirl
    Options

GG- that is SO wrong on so many levels! The nudists will always find a way to take off their clothes, eh?

This flower is a mimulus that I bought earlier this month but have not planted yet.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- I love it!

Next weekend I am going to the nature center's herb festival. One of my favorite "May things" to do, The friend was going to go with has an ankle injury, so I will just go on my own. I always pick up some mints and other herbs to plant in a pot to have for the summer. I know mint is invasive so it is better to put it in a place where I can manage it's growth. I missed the event last year, and look forward to going next Saturday.

• ananda8
    Options

Teka, I love the plates buried in the garden.  So sweet.

Jazzygirl,  There's an old saying about mint.  "If your enemy has a garden, give him a mint plant."  Yep, it is invasive.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- I wish we could go together too! Happy

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,867
    Options

GG, Perhaps they can prune their roses or blackberries.

Jazzy, Love mimulus.

• jazzygirl
    Options

First pink prickly pear bloom today!

• TwoHobbies
    Options

Pretty Prickly Pear.  How lovely.  Hey I just read it is naked gardening day and I have already finished!  I should have checked in early today because it was very warm, perfect for naked gardening.

I really wanted to plant today but we actually did have frost this past week so I better wait another week or two.  But its very exciting to be coming up on the season to start planting.   

• jazzygirl
    Options

No naked gardening for me! I don't want to scare the neighbors! LOL!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    Options

finally finished my little front garden area. The rocks in the dry river bed will hopefully stream the overflow from the rain barrel.  image

• glennie19
    Options

and this is my fiesta hibiscus. image

• wren44
    Options

Glennie, That hibiscus is so pretty. I managed to overwinter one once, but normally we just have to buy them every year and say goodbye in the fall.

• glennie19
    Options

I'm not sure if this one will make it or not. We do get below freezing here in the winter for a few days/weeks. And I hate plants that need to be covered up,,, prefer hardier ones. But this one was just so pretty that I couldn't resist.  Will see if it survives.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Nice Glennie- I like that Zen thing you have going on in your space! Hibiscus is beautiful too!

• ananda8
    Options

• wren44
    Options

What a beautiful rhodie.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Ananda-just gorgeous! Do you live on the east coast? I remember those blooming back east this time of the year. I am originally from New England.

Here are today's featured blooms. Still getting lots of rain (a good thing for the desert). Photo on is of a plant called a schizanthis that my friend found at the nursery when we went in early April. It has doubled in size lately with all the rain.

Second is my evolving pink prickly pear continuing to bloom. Got the most open today I have seen 4-5! Once they open, that is it, they are done for the season. So the bees have to get in there fast (and there were bees in them today!)

• ananda8
    Options

My Rhodies are still struggling.  I think I need to give them a lot more fertilizer after they finish blooming.  Our soil is really bad.  The Iris are doing Ok. 

• wren44
    Options

Ananda, They like acid soil, so don't use ordinary fertilizer. It should mention being acid and recommended for rhodies and blueberries. They also have shallow roots, so need water if in a dry spot.

• ananda8
    Options

Wren, Thanks for the advice.  DH and I are going to Lowes to buy some fertilizer tomorrow and we'll pick up some acid fertilizer for the rhododendron.   We need some nitrogen for our oaks which have exhausted the soil.  They are over 100 feet tall and have a canopy diameter of over 60 feet.