Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

Options

Comments

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,867
    Options

Ananda, Those sound gorgeous. Can you get far enough away to get a photo? Our poplars are 120 ft tall, but are more up than out.

• quiltlibrarian
    quiltlibrarian Member Posts: 31
    Options

Woke up to 6 inches of snow this morning. There is more coming. My poor tulips and daffs are covered. Sigh. We did need the moisture, but snow!

Hugs all

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

Quilt,
    What a shame.  I hope the snow melts quickly and the flowers aren't damaged.  (We can always hope)

Wren,  Here is a pic of my one of my trees.  The two story house in the background is about 120 feet away.  The leaves are just coming out.  The diameter of the canopy is about 60 feet.  This is the widest tree on the property, but others are taller.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

I here u Quilt ! We did not get quite as much.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,930
    Options

70 Charger- dang about the snow. Northern NM got a bunch this week too. There is a lot of moisture around and snow still coming to various places. I saw snow in Santa Fe last year as late as Memorial Day weekend.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Plant are loving the rain. First is the pink phlox now going crazy, second is the front yard rock garden salvia, third is a plant I bought last year that I did not keep the info on, but maybe you know?

• wren44
    Options

Jazzy, I think the common name is thrift. It's a really nice perennial.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Wren- you are right! Thank you! It is back and really blooming strong this year!

• ananda8
    Options

There seems to be a problem with older post appearing without new posts and newer posts appearing without older posts.  Is anyone else having problems?

PS.  Things seem to be working now.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Spanish broom starting to bloom.

• Freygea
    Freygea Member Posts: 217
    Options

I really enjoy my garden. It is small but it is mine. I have this lil guy that lives there and I need to make sure he only takes his fair share of leaves.

• ananda8
    Options

Jazzygirl, Your Spanish Broom is beautiful especially against the dark gravel.  All your flower pictures look like cut flower arrangements.  Just lovely.

Freygea, Is that little fellow an iguana?

• Freygea
    Freygea Member Posts: 217
    Options

It is yes. He is a happy lil fella. I live in the Florida Keys and my puppies thik he is a squirrel. : )

• jazzygirl
    Options

Freygea- I love all things lizard! We have lots of geckos out here, I have a pretty blue one that lives in the back yard but have not seen him yet this year. That is a cool picture!

Ananda- thanks for the kind words about the gardens!

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

thank you for starting this thread MagicalBean! I have a very small and new garden. Six weeks after I moved in got dxd. Worked really hard and hired a guy to do some things I still can't do. The results in my very moderate temp Oregon Coast garden are very satisfying. My first clematis are blooming. But not the roses yet which are sisters together in the garden. We have a lot of hungry deer in my urban habitat. And I have a big dilemma because I love birds AND blueberries. Hate mice though. Guess everybody's gotta eat though. I have added this to my favorites so you all will be hearing from me. And my other dilemma is I love my dog with no limits. But he steals my chair! In this pic he's not doing it. But.....,

My rock garden is outside the fence in the deer danger zone. The neighbors say I'm crazy.

Strawberries have blooms but that will be another month and another potential war with Mother Nature.

• ananda8
    Options

Jackbirdie,  The deer will eat those strawberries!  They ate mine and they ate almost everything else the year we had a drought.  My vegetable garden is fenced, now.

I love rock gardens.  We bought tons of rock and built borders and some paths.  I'm going to build another short wall around my front oak this summer. I hope I have enough.  I use rock as a form of weight building exercise. :)  Here's a picture of a short path I constructed.  The larger rocks weigh about 20-30 lbs each. The path is about 4ft wide and 6ft long.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka, this one?

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    Options

Ah yes, deer will most definitely devour strawberries. This is my strawberry bed before we finished our fencing around the garden. Note the foot prints all around in the raised garden box!

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    Options

Hi All. I am a terrible gardener but keep buying plants anyway. I am very lucky to live in a tropical country and right now I am into hibiscuses. Just bought some, and because the picture on the pot is not very representative, I really look forward to them blooming to see what they actually look like. Here is the the most recent. Very unusual delicate colouration, yellow edges with grayish purplish centre

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Fortunately, the strawberries are planted on the inside of the garden fence, which runs eight feet high. I've never seen a deer come near it. They come up the driveway to pick up a game trail behind. I have blueberries inside the fence too, but that will be unwinnable against the birds. And I love the birds.

I have put out a variety of home remedies to deter the deer from the rock garden. So far so good in six months.. Many starters from friends and sale plants. All supposedly deer resistant. Not a lot invested, so I'm rolling the dice.

I love everybody's photos. And it just gets better from here. Less treatments to go, and more gardening! I like that formula!

• Jackbirdie
    Options

I found this little friend on the edge of agarden pot. I can't identify it. Anybody know? Friend or foe?

• wren44
    Options

I think it's a friend. Maybe turns into a butterfly? My kids called them wooly bears.

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    Options

cool.some kind of caterpillar ?

• jazzygirl
    Options

Check this link out. It shows you what catipillar turns into what butterfly! I am keeping this link forever!

I don't see your little orange fellow here though. Looks close to a monarch though?

http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/tran...

• Jackbirdie
    Options

the color seems close to a monarch but it's so veryfuzzy. The Monarchs larva I've seen were smooth. I'm sure it will be cool and friendly ( and cancer eating, hopefully!)

• wren44
    Options

If you see it again, maybe you can put it in a jar and take to a garden center. It looks a little bit like a tent caterpillar, so check your trees.

• Jackbirdie
    Options

Wren, there is a small house here with big trees all around. I planted a few small trees inside the fence but most are 30-50ft tall, ringing the property. I take it a tent is a bad guy?

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- oh, the gecko! I will get a picture of him this summer. They are always trying to get into the house.

As my sister say's "reptiles want in the house." She has outdoor turtles so guess what happens there!

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

My peas are blooming and I love my herbs are

coming up good.

• quiltlibrarian
    quiltlibrarian Member Posts: 31
    Options

Good news the snow is almost gone, just in the deep shadows.

Have you ever tried "plants skid" it is a spray to keep the deer and mice from eating your plants. It is a spray. Tastes terrible the garden center said.

Hugs all