Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Liver mets: resection, ablation, SBRT, Y-90, anything else?

Options

Comments

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    Options

Granbax. Thank you for all your input and for cheering me on.

JFL. I too am the annoying pt. I knew at 11 yesterday that my scan results were in and left a msg for my drs nurse to call me. I called again at 3 cause I know they leave at 5 or earlier on fridays and was told I’d def hear back. When I didn’t by 5:15 I decided to stop at Mskcc on my way home. I live one block away. I was told my nurse had gone home so I told them I wouldn’t leave until I got an answer. I was just soooo anxious! They called my mo who promised she’d call before the night was up and she did last night at 7. She had been in back to back meetings and apologized for not calling sooner. I am very proactive with all of them but do it nicely. I think that really helps. We all need to be our own advocates!

I’m so happy to be doing the Y 90 on Friday. I’ll keep you all posted. I know I have the best people rooting for me👍

Babs

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    Options

Go Babs. Way to rock the proactivity. Who wants to go through the weekend not knowing!

>Z<

• AnimalCrackers
    AnimalCrackers Member Posts: 542
    Options

You go Babs!  It's bad enough we have to endure the treatments and pain and uncertainty but we also have to find the wherewithal to prod our teams to communicate with us.  Good luck with the Y90.  We are all cheering you on.

• BabyRuth
    BabyRuth Member Posts: 107
    Options

Yeah Babs! You got this! I am here cheering you on also! I am 2 years and almost 3 months out from my Y90 in 2015.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    Options

babs. Finally, you can it's going to happen tomorrow!!! I'm always better when I only have one more night to wait. We're all cheering for you! Especially, I want no complications. Smooth sailing, and death to liver mets!

• babs6287
    Options

Thank you all. Tomorrow’s the big day!!! I felt u all there with me

Babs

• zarovka
    Options

Go Babs. Right there with ya!!!!!

>Z<

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    Options

Babs, I am thinking of you today as you have the Y90 procedure done. I hope the results are stupendous!

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• AnimalCrackers
    Options

Babs - thinking of you today and the y90! You and Grannx can be our resident y90 experts! Sending love and support

• zarovka
    Options

Right there with ya babs!!!

>Z<

• Grannax2
    Options

Yes, Baby Ruth, Babs and I will compare notes on SE and experience. We want every detail Babs, when you feel well enough to post.💞

• babs6287
    Options

I’m home already!!!! I had such a full room with all my bc sisters!!!!

Went in at 6:30 I insisted they put the IV in my leg and not try anywhere else because of last time. They were surprised but agreed. Procedure started on time. Went into recovery and had to lie flat for 2 hours. Then had scans. Ate 1/4 bagel at the hospital cause I was starving and couldn’t wait. After scans came home finished my bagel and now I’m going to nap. This was actually easier than the mapping. Next one 4/5. Hoping it knocks the shit out of these cancer buggers! But anyone thinking of doing the y 90 know it is pretty easy!!!!

Thank you all for being there with me!

Babs

• zarovka
    Options

YAAAAY. Why did you insist on the leg? Dare I asked what happened last time! Is this the only treatment or will there be another?

Now it is just a matter of relaxing and healing ...

>Z<

• babs6287
    Options

Just heard from my IR. She’s feeling very positive about my results. The scans showed great uptake in the areas with mets! Yippee!!!!

Z I only have my rt arm for blood and IV. But it’s REALLY hard to get IV in my arm. For the mapping the last time after 6 tries (4 while I was out) they ended up doing the IV in my leg so I decided beforehand I would only allow a leg IV. I need my rt arm for a chemo treatment this week! Plus I didn’t want to wake up with a black and blue rt Arnie again!

My second Y 90 is 4/5. I’m halfway done!

Bab

• Grannax2
    Options

YAY babs. Sounds like it went great. Let us know details about your recovery too.

My IR did not call to tell me about good uptake after y90. That is very reassuring.💞

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    Options

WOOHOO, BABS! That is great news. Now take it easy for a bit. You have earned a little down time. You were so smart to insist on having the IV in your leg. I am glad things went so well. WOOHOO!

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• babs6287
    Options

Grannax. Will write daily uptake reports

Right now I’m just exhausted. Feeling some pulling in my groin and a little sore in my belly.

Babs

• AnimalCrackers
    Options

Wonderful news on the Y90 Babs!  Yay!!

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Babs, I agree with Grannax, the call from the doctor regarding great uptake is a good sign! Very curious how the recovery goes and whether you have any side effects.

I had posted a while back about the IR at my cancer center, who is a colleague of my DH, telling my DH that I had taken too many chemos in the past and risked liver issues from Y90 and am therefore, not a good candidate. (This is not the IR I plan to see next week.) After my DH and I spoke to my MO today, I learned (1) why the IR said this and (2) why it is not applicable to me (yay!). This is an issue for colon cancer patients (the current bulk of Y90 patients and the current bulk of the IR's experience with Y90 at the hospital where my cancer center is located) as they take certain drugs (like Irinotecan) that do cumulatively impact the liver and can disqualify them from doing Y90. However, this is not an issue with the standard drugs given for breast cancer. Thought I would share as an FYI. This is definitely an issue with using an IR who does some Y90 but does not focus in oncology and is not up to date with the emerging research in the field. My DH was very uneasy about me pursuing Y90 at first but feels a lot better about it after hearing from my MO on this. He also did some research and was comforted by the fact I selected an IR who studied under Robert Lewandowski at Northwestern U., where the pioneering research on expanding Y90 to breast cancer was performed.

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    Options

Yay, Babs! Glad to hear your good experience and encouragement from the IR! Rest up!

• zarovka
    Options

JFL - thanks. The indications and situations where local liver treatment is appropriate are poorly communicated and understood. No area where we have to be our own advocate more than these treatments. I can't believe it was the IR that was misinformed! MOs are, as a rule, clueless on these treatments, but an IR!!!

>Z<

• babs6287
    Options

After reading so many posts by others I realize how lucky I am to be treated at MSKCC. Look at all the chemos that failed me and yet they never questioned my doing the y90.

I never napped today so I’m just exhausted.

Will report more over the weekend

Bab

• Grannax2
    Options

JFL. Such interesting information. Another step towards your y90, I hope.

Babs you rest up, we can wait for updates.💞

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    Options

I’m so happy to hear the grea news Babs!

• rpoole1962
    rpoole1962 Member Posts: 386
    Options

Babs, 1 Y90 down 1 to go = lots of dead liver tumors!!! May you have a successful treatment and we can all be celebrating with you soon!

Hugs,

Robin

• BabyRuth
    BabyRuth Member Posts: 107
    Options

Babs-Hope you are resting good today. So glad to hear that the Y90 went well for you. Keep us updated when you have time!

• babs6287
    Options

I’m sitting in bed taking it easy. Just feeling tired and a little queasy. Better than I thought. Already bored!

Babs

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Bored is good in this case!

• zarovka
    Options

Go Babs!

>Z<

• babs6287
    Options

Spent today in bed again. I did go out for a mani pani. I’m exhausted but ok. I am gassy and my stomach is making lots of noise but if that’s my only SEs then I can deal. Tomorrow is work!!!!

Babs