Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Question about the shingles vaccine

Options
2»

Comments

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited August 2015
    Options

Had my zona vaccine last week. Went very well, no SEs, nothing. Very happy that is done.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited August 2015
    Options

If I were living in the U.S., where children are mostly vaccinated and adults are not regularly exposed to the chickenpox virus, I would not hesitate to get the shingles vaccine. But do get your onc's opinion as she knows better what your immune status is.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015
    Options

I had the shingles vaccine when it first became available.  I had watched several friends and also my husband in agony with shingles.  My onc was in favor of it and even got me the vaccine since it wasn't readily available at that time.  No side effects that I can recall. 

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2015
    Options

Deanna, thanks for this thread as I was wondering the same and will be calling my Onc to inquire on Monday. I do NOT want this to deal with as well. I get a flu shot every year as I work in an elementary school. Have never had side effects and have stayed very well. Got part one of the two part pneumonia shot the other day. Just a very sore arm for two days......I would err on the side of prevention for sure.

• ibcmets
    ibcmets Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2015
    Options

My primary wanted to hold off until I was of age where they consider givging this vaccine. Even though a cancer patient, I was doing well.

Terri

• roxyandtaze123
    roxyandtaze123 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2015
    Options

Just saying -- I've briefly read some of your posts. All I can add is this -- two weeks after my diagnosis of Stage IV, I came down with Shingles of the face. It was truly horrific. I have a pic and will try to find to share! It was not painful! But, I was taking strong pain meds for newly diagnosed pain mets. I would definitely recommend the vaccine. It took three months before I would leave my house.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2015
    Options

My onc said "No live virus".

I get the flu shot evey year. I started a few years before cancer dx - I didn't want to since I so rarely got sick (making up for it now....) but DH was very worried so I figured - I do a lot of stuff for him, that was one of the simplest requests.

Leah