Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Calling all SCUBA divers!

Options

Comments

• marie11
    marie11 Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2017
    Options

I am doing a triathlon in September. I have never worn a wetsuit before. Had one on last night and it was wonderful. Are there any concerns about the compression that a wet suit gives and developing lymphedema? I was told not to have blood pressures done on my arm that had the sentinal node removal. Wondering if I should go with a sleeveless wet suit. Appreciate any advice.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited July 2017
    Options

Per DAN (Divers Alert Network) and other sources, there has been almost no research on diving and bc and/or lymphedema. However, for what it is worth, I was evaluated by a lymphedema therapist who told me that her clients who dove did well. She thought the compression of being underwater and of the wetsuit were helpful. Both she and my MO have given me their blessing to dive, and I've had no problems with either a five mil or a three mil wetsuit.

• marie11
    marie11 Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thank you octogirl and kb870. That is great information. Sounds like I have no excuse to bail out of this huge race now.

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2017
    Options

just found this thread. I've been diving since 1992 :D My favorite place to dive has been the Adaman Islands (off the west coast of Thailand). I was on a live-aboard dive boat (there were 8 sleeping mats on the top level of the boat under a rounded tarp where the sea breeze wafted through at night bringing the sound and scent of the waves). We made 4 dives each day - rolled out of bed and dove, came up and breakfast was waiting, moved location while we rested; dove again, came up and lunch was waiting, moved location while we rested or explored the closest island; dove again, came up and dinner was waiting, rested; night dive, come up, relax and bedtime. Max of 8 divers, 2 dive masters, crew of 3. Awesome experience. Amazing viz and sea life. Am trying to go back and do it again.

• vanessa1
    vanessa1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello! I was also so happy to find this feed! Breast cancer divers! We really are a subset of a subset! Thanks to Jim and KB870 for the info from DAN. I'll likely be taking Tamoxifen so that's all good info for me. And thanks for keeping this feed going so it's here for new comers like me :)

I'm wondering is if there's anyone who has dived with a TE? We have flights booked for 4 to Cozumel at Christmas (booked before dx). Expansion should be done by end of October and Plastic surgeon would prefer me to wait for final implant surgery until after the trip. He thinks 2 months after 2nd surgery is too soon to dive, but leaving the expander in place and diving with it would be ok. There'll be 500-600 ml in the expander by then. Wondering if I'm being unrealistic or if anyone else has done this? It would be such a shame to go and not dive. And my kids would want to dive with my husband without me, which does freak me out, as they're a bit light on experience 😬

This is such a positive feed! Thank you for that.

Octogirl I love your ocean profile pic.

Vanessa

• MTwoman
    edited August 2017
    Options

Vanessa, I want you to double check this info, but it seems to me that what you'd want to worry about is airspaces. So a fully filled TE, without air that could expand, would be okay. I've heard Cozumel is awesome drift diving, had some friends who were dive buddies that went regularly. Hope you have a lovely vaca and get to dive!

I'd call DAN about diving with a TE. They seem to have lots of medical info on what to/not to do. (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/)

• octogirl
    edited August 2017
    Options

yeah, I was wondering about air spaces too...I'd second the recommendation to call DAN. I suspect, however, that they won't have done much research on this particular issue and will recommend holding off...:-(

Vanessa, the avatar is a pic of the Blue Hole in Belize, where I dove just before dx...

BC really hasn't put too much of a damper on my diving, but now my knees have. Scheduled for knee replacement in November for one knee, and the other in February. will be glad to be done and back to diving! (with a much easier time getting up ladders on the boat...

• vanessa1
    vanessa1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions and for the link MTwoman. Yes, I'll contact DAN and also ask the plastics Doc if there's a chance of there being any air in my TE. I wonder if a very little air in there would be ok though? It would just compress and then expand back again on surfacing? The TE can handle changes in volume so no harm done maybe. I'll see what DAN has to say....

Ah, Belize. It's been on my wish list since I was 18! I hope your knee surgeries go well Octogirl :)

• diveslikeagirl
    diveslikeagirl Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm new to BCO and this thread.  But my heart really jumped when I searched "scuba" and this thread came up.  I've been feeling sorry for myself because I've had to cancel a liveaboard in Thailand in April 2018 so I can deal with stoopid breast cancer.  I'm very relieved to read about women diving after treatment.  

I look forward to more discussions with passionate divers.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited December 2017
    Options

Welcome, Dives! We're glad you've found a group that shares your interests, and hope you find support in this community!

The Mods

• octogirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

yes, welcome Diveslikeagirl! Since my bc dx I've dove in Hawaii, Cozumel, and Papua New Guinea. Next dive trip to Coz is happening in May.....as I mentioned earlier, my knees have been the biggest hurdle (mostly getting on and off the boat; not really an issue in the water). Had my right knee replaced a month ago and recovery is going well. I can't wait to get back in the water!

Where did you have your favorite dives thus far?

Hugs;

Octogirl

• MTwoman
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hey Dives, where was your liveaboard scheduled? I did one years ago out of Khao Lak. It was amazing! You've got to reschedule it. Don't just cancel. That is something to look forward to, you've got to do it!

• diveslikeagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks for the welcome, Octogirl and MTwoman.  So great to connect with you.

I've been fortunate to be diving a lot prior to Dx.  I volunteer with a non-profit called REEF.org that trains citizen scientist/divers to identify and survey fish whenever they dive.  Last April, I did a liveaboard in the Solomon Islands - incredible.  REEF organizes the trips and you "go to class" each evening after 2-3 dives/day.  In exchange, you complete surveys and upload your data to the international database. The data is shared with researchers and marine conservation scientists/planners around the world.  

The trip I had to cancel (a large non-refundable deposit was due last month) was a 10-day on the Aggressor in the North Andaman Sea.   Good thing I cancelled, because I just got my Mammaprint results and will need chemo before radiation.  Meeting my MO on Tuesday.  Very anxious about it (fear of the unkown - I'll probably feel better once I know what the plan is).  

I've been lucky to hit a lot of my bucket list dives:  Galapagos, Cuba, Philippines, lots of Caribbean locations.  I only work to fund my diving habit!

As for looking forward, our 30th anniversary is next year and my husband is already planning a trip to Hawaii once this treatment journey is over. 

Octogirl is going to Cozumel; where is your next dive, MTWoman?  I can live vicariously through you two.

• diveslikeagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

KB870, I admire you for your river and wreck diving. I got certified in Florida 36 years ago and have stayed in the warm ocean ever since. I would like to hear about your swimming. I see my MO for the first time on Tuesday and I assumed that because chemo compromises your immunity, I would be told to stay out of germy public pools. I've swam on a Masters team for almost five years and would like to continue during treatment. Did your doctor clear you to swim? Maybe my assumption isn't correct? I would think ANY type of exercise is encouraged but wasn't sure.

Thank

• octogirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

I didn't swim at the pool during chemo, but I did exercise.... It really helps to keep moving, even if you only walk around the block. I walked about two or three miles a day four times a week during chemo. Do ask about swimming. I did go in the ocean (free diving, not scuba) during chemo.

So yes, I did chemo and it was doable: not fun but doable. You will get through it, Diveslikeagirl! I do recommend joining a current chemo thread for support during the process, and check with us. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just need someone to chat with during chemo.

Hugs;

Octogirl

• diveslikeagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello Scuba ladies!  Started my chemo December 22 so I'm on Day 5, it's below zero here in the Midwest, and I'm hunkered down trying to manage SE (mostly Big D).  Fortunately, I can do my job remotely from the warmth of my den.

One of our holiday traditions is to drag out home videos and photos.  Now with Amazon Prime, I can push them to the TV and this year I freaked out my sons with video of me filming reef sharks in Cuba in 2016.  1 cycle down, 5 to go, with Herceptin infusions on the weeks in between.  It's going to be a long winter.

Anyone got a trip planned that we can live vicariously through?

Mindy

• octogirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

well, I am going to Japan, which will be very fun (I've never been)..but no diving planned so not sure it counts for purposes of this thread! :-)

Next dive trip: Coz in May!

Octogirl

• jvsaints
    jvsaints Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

It's been many years now but I was going to do my open dive in Australia and the government required a physical before applying for the dive. I didn't think very much about any problems. I had had a lumpectomy, radiation and the subsequent tamoxifen for my treatment. The physician said that he would not give permission for scuba diving since there was no way to know if my lungs had been weakened or damaged. I was disappointed but I certainly would rather know of the risk prior to diving.

I don't know if this is still the recommendation but I wanted to call attention to this scenario.

• Fish_Child
    Fish_Child Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2018
    Options

I was just recently diagnosed. My husband and I are trying to plan a great vacation for the family (4 kids). We were thinking about Hawaii. Well if we are going to Hawaii, I have to dive! The last time I went diving was in 2011 so I am looking to do a refresher. The PADI medical form doesn't see to contraindicate cancer, but was curious if anyone has dived while taking Xeloda? I am stage 4 so I really don't want this to be an issue. Are there any issues I need to consider even if my Dr. Gives it the OK?

• diveslikeagirl
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello ladies.  It's been pretty quiet on this little thread so I hope you are all busy with treatment and recovery and plotting a return to diving.  I found this little Q and A in the most recent issue of Alert Diver (DAN) magazine about breast cancer, ports and returning to diving.  Not much that you probably don't already know, but I'm grateful for the detail they've included.  There must be more of us BC divers than ever and apparently we're asking questions.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dan-2010fw/Spring_2018_flip/Spring_2018_AlertDiver/HTML/68/#zoom=z

I finished radiation last week and am working on skin recovery.  My tumor was in my armpit so I had a 4-treatment "boost" there at the end that has really irritated the skin under my arm.  I was given Radiaplex cream for all over skin treatment and RO recommended hydrocortisone for the scar/boost area.  I had some prescription grade 2.5% hydrocortisone (OTC is 1%) left from another skin issue, so I'm using that up on the scar. After Radiaplex is done, I'll switch to a gentle moisturizer (no parabens, no phthalates) to get the skin back in shape.  My RO said my skin came through better than average but he won't clear me for pool/lap swimming until I've had my 1 month follow-up.  Sigh.

I will also continue on Herceptin until December so I'll have my port in until then, thus the interest in this article.  This week I start an AI for, I assume, at least the next five years.  Crossing my fingers for no SEs or complications.  Still getting echocardiograms while on Herceptin and so far, no heart damage.  The AIs can sometimes cause bone density problems, so I'm having a baseline bone density test next month.  I was fortunate to continue my weight and strength training during chemo, at a much lower level, so I'm hoping to avoid bone density problems.  

The next dive trip I'm planning is for April 2019 in Oman.  I'm hoping by then, I will be completely cleared for diving.  I'm hoping to have an easy Caribbean trip in January to celebrate with my dive buddy of 20 years.  She and I are thinking Roatan or maybe Belize.  Have to see what the hurricane season brings this fall.  I'm open to your suggestions.

Fish_Child, I hope you made it to Hawaii with no issues, particularly from the volcano. 

Octogirl, did you make it to Cozumel?  We'd love to hear about it.   

Hugs to all of you,

Mindy

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217
    edited June 2018
    Options

Happy to find this thread. New to diving but it has been on my bucket list for years. Husband and I were certified here in Canada last year and had our first salt water dive in Bonaire this winter right before my diagnosis. We just received our first AlertDiver magazine. Now I'll look for that article.

• diveslikeagirl
    edited June 2018
    Options

Oh man, Duffyzmom. If I can be frank, that is some pretty sucky timing for a diagnosis. I noticed how similar our diagnosis/treatment plans are. If you were in shape to dive last year, I am hoping that you can keep up whatever exercise you were doing (maybe swimming?) at lower levels while you're on chemo. I truly believe that exercising (weights, walking and yoga) helped me immensely during chemo, especially with the fatigue. I just finished radiation last week and won't be cleared to swim until after my follow-up with my RO in 2 weeks. But I'm ramping up the other activities as the chemo and radiation side effects clear out of my body.

I didn't check if you are on a "monthly" chemo thread, but I found them to be very helpful. I actually lurked on one that was 2 months ahead of me so I could learn what to expect.

I'm sorry you're here, but am glad that you got to check off a bucket list item. I had to cancel a dive trip I had planned for April, but I've got another one in sight for April 2019. Stay strong, ask lots of questions and know that you can get through this.

Mindy

• duffyzmom
    edited June 2018
    Options

Mindy- Sucky timing indeed - especially since I found the lump on self exam on the Wednesday before we flew out for the cruise on Friday. I didn't tell hubby until the last night of our trip because I didn't want to worry him. (This is my 2nd cancer requiring chemo).

I am in the April group and yes it has been valuable. I'm a runner and just went out for my first walk/run. The first 2 rounds of TCH gave me some awful SEs but round 3 has been remarkably good. So I'm hoping to get back into my normal exercise routines. Running/Weights/Yoga

I'll be talking to MO about exercise when I see him before round #4. I've been having some edema in my left arm that is a nuisance - I'm not sure if it is related to the Taxotere. lt is not on the side were my lymph nodes were removed so I don't think it is lymphedema

• diveslikeagirl
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hello fellow divers. I hope that it's been quiet here because you're all out living your lives in good health. I'm looking at my LAST Herceptin on December 21 and my port comes out on the 26th (snuck in under the wire since my deductible will kick back in on January 1).

Bit of a set back though. I'd scheduled a Cozumel dive trip for December 6 -10 (yes, starting today) but I've had to cancel it. Last month, I started having sharp pain in my left leg and an ultrasound confirmed that a had 2 blood clots, one deep, one on the surface. MO put me on Xarelto blood thinner for 3 months. I called DAN and they confirmed that blood thinners, blood clots and diving don't mix. So no Cozumel for me, but my wetsuit is going on vacation with my dive buddy. Boo!

Turns out, blood clots are not uncommon with cancer patients because many of the drugs (like Herceptin) are designed to mess with proteins. Blood clotting is all about proteins too and of course, safe diving is all about blood gas. So there you go (to cite My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

I'm pretty disappointed because I was going to use the trip to gauge how prepared I would be for a scheduled live-aboard dive trip to Oman (Middle East) next April. After I get this blood clot thing figured out, I plan to sneak in a trip to Cozumel before April, since I haven't gotten my gills wet since April 2017!

Anyone want to join me in Cozumel for a "long weekend" in February or March? I have 2 friends in Cozumel, but would be happy to have a dive buddy, too.

What frosts me the most is that I'm active (even through chemo), reasonable weight and don't smoke. The blood clots surprised me AND my docs. There could be a genetic reason, but the MO said there was no point in blood testing for it because the treatment would still be the same.

So head's up, ladies. Clots can be dangerous if they travel from your extremities to your lungs or brain. This is another SE on the menu that is "common" but is not always mentioned (lest it become self-fulfilling). During my last infusion, all the nurses nodded knowingly.

My MO has agreed to call the DAN docs after the blood thinners to understand what he needs to check to clear me to dive. Crossing my fingers, but I've insured the trip, all the same. Sure hope I don't have to cancel.

Hugs all around.

• duffyzmom
    edited December 2018
    Options

Sorry to hear this Diveslikeagirl. Here's hoping you get good results from the Xarelto. I developed a clot in my jugular vein probably from my port ( this is my 2nd go around with chemo and 2nd port placement). It was discovered due to swelling in my left arm (my BC and node removal were all on the right). Xarelto worked initially but then the clot came back (or a new clot developed). So I was switched to Pradaxa. I've finally finished my 3 months on it so I'm hoping I'm done with clots. My port was removed following chemo so I'll finish up Herceptin (last one is sometime in April) just using IV. So far it hasn't been an issue.

Please post any additional information on previous blood clots and diving. I'd hoped to get back to diving this summer.

• octogirl
    edited December 2018
    Options

so sorry to hear that, diveslike...wish I COULD go to Coz with you in Feb and March. I did get in a good amount of diving in Hawaii this past October... had a great time! Fingers crossed for Oman, and keep us posted.

Octogirl

• diveslikeagirl
    edited December 2018
    Options

Duffyzmom, thanks so much for the good wishes. Your post has helped strengthen my decision to get my port out ASAP after my last Herceptin. I hadn't even considered that it could be a source of clots. But now that I think of the handful of times that we had trouble getting blood return from my port, I remember that the nurses would blame protein buildup (myelin). So, while I've read that some on this board leave their port in "just in case" and because "it's not too big a hassle to have it flushed every few weeks", I realize that leaving my port in will only add to my anxiety as I try to get back into diving. I'm sorry for your clot problem, but you have really helped me. I think mental-health-wise too, I want the port out and to move on.

Octogirl, good for you on Hawaii diving, but you gotta give us dessicated, land-locked sisters some detail! What island(s) did you dive on? With the volcano eruptions, the hurricanes, etc., did you have to adjust your locations? Was there underwater damage on some of the islands?

Anyone else out there sinking under the waves that wants to share their exploits? 2018 has been a pretty sucky year for me and I really believe that once I can finally dive again, it's another step to embracing my "new normal."

Take care, everyone.

Mindy

• octogirl
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi again Mindy:

I've been diving Hawaii for years (it is a relatively easy and often downright cheap flight from the west coast, where I lived until recently.) Always the Big Island (Island of Hawaii): it is the furthest south and has the best coral. Fish populations have been somewhat reduced in recent years due to private aquarium collectors, but it still has a large number of endemic species...

Underwater the volcano has been pretty much a non-factor. The lava entering the water was on the east and south sides, and the good diving is on the west side near Kona. For that matter, it was a non-factor for other reasons: the Kileaua eruption, which has been going on pretty much non-stop since 1983 (and which was much worse/heavier over the summer) stopped about threew weeks before this latest trip. Indeed, many scientists believe it is now done. Result: some of the clearest air I can remember in Hawaii in many trips over thirty plus years.

This trip we were on the Kona Aggressor II: it's a small liveaboard but well laid out and the crew was great! I'd go again in a heart beat. Coral was in good shape, no hurricane damage that I saw (the worst of the storms passed Kona by this year). We had very good weather, though there was a heavier than usual swell a few days thanks to one of those storms passing north of us (quite a ways north of us). We did make it all the way to South Point though, which was great!

Would love to hear about others great trips recently...

Cheers to all

Octogirl

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi all!

I have a trip planned for Grand Cayman in early March and I am super excited about it. That will be my first dive trip post tx. I was going to put it off a bit longer, at least until my port was out, but I dragged out my gear a couple weeks ago and found none of it catches on or presses on my port, so why wait? The port should come our shortly after I get back, my last herceptin infusion is scheduled for the day after my return.

My husband is the Keeper of the GoPro, but if he takes any photos on our trip, I will try to post some here.

If anyone has any recommendations for Grand Cayman diving, I'd love to hear them!

• octogirl
    edited February 2019
    Options

hapa, Grand Cayman sounds great: I've never been but it is on my list!

One question I'd consider before diving with the port: will going to depth cause any problems because of pressure on the port, or somehow increase the possibility of DCS? I'd think not, but I'd also want to ask...Could you take it out before and use traditional IV for the last infusion?

Have fun!

Octogirl