Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2015 Chemo Group

Options
1828384858688»

Comments

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    Options

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I haver to share my BEST PRESENT, EVER.

I posted earlier this year that WorryWart got fired from church in Jan. things got quite bad, that in Sept, he was asking choir member to help out ($) Bawling

A week ago, Christmas eve early afternoon, he called. He's not home, but working, he's on break, between Masses. "Wait, WHAT?!" He just started officially at the new church last week. as Music Director! basically building up the music ministry (they never have choir or anything before). You know the saying "Tears of Joy"? I couldn't stop crying Christmas eve. Bawling I still do when I think of the things that happened...

Then Christmas Day morning, got another call - "aren't you coming to Mass? you should able to get here on time." I promptly rolled my eyes. Loopy

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650
    Options

Merry Christmas Indeed! And a most hopeful happy new year to all. Every day is a new day, another chance to make a difference. Love to all!Smile

• molliefish
    Options

Ladies and gents, Ifinally found a new GP three years after my fav passed away. Discharged from care means I need someone to follow along. My 2 life threatening illnesses were managed with my old GP. I miss her. This new girl seems good I like her. Fresh out of medical school trying to find her way in a COVID world. We will see how it goes. Love to all. Hang in COVID will be over before we know it.

• Mom2ABoy
    Mom2ABoy Member Posts: 125
    Options

Hey Mollie!

Glad you're liking your new GP.

My whole life is flipped on its head. I'm in Spain, and I just discovered that the plastic surgeon in Seattle that I had planned to do my DMX plus immediate reconstruction with this summer (or whenever the pandemic allows a safe return to the US) actually RETIRED in January 2020!

The surgery is going to be prophylactic, so it's not that huge of a deal, but I'm still kind of stunned. He was a great surgeon and did a perfect reduction for me in late 2017, in preparation for this surgery. Then I lost 70+ pounds between 2017 and 2019, saw him again in 2019, and was planning to do the DMX/reconstruction in early 2020. Obviously that plan went right by the wayside when COVID-19 hit.

How is everyone???

• Mom2ABoy
    Options

Oh yeah and I should say ... when I saw my (now retired) PS back in 2019, it was partly because I'd had a scare -- a tiny "lump" that on closer examination, with multiple different types of scans, turned out to be fat necrosis. Still, it made a lot of sense to me to proceed with everything. And now I really wish (of course) that I had gone ahead and done it in Fall 2019, when I thought I was too busy with work to take six weeks off. Little did I know.

• superius
    Options

Happy Easter, you all!

More news from the Land of WorryWart. So the church gave WorryWart an assistant back in Dec, but that person got a new FT weekend job & had to resign. WorryWart told the priest he would ask me first (before they post publicly). So I updated my CV, had interview, etc. And official beginning of March, I became the Assistant Music Director -- at interview, the priest asked if I want to be WorryWart's boss (with my experience and from my CV). I told him NO. we are more like partners. there are things he can do, but I cannot, & vice versa. Well actually I don't care for the adminstrative stuff, neither.

So now officially the WorryWart can boss me around. The previous director retired after 30yrs there. I think I can do 30. We will be near 80 years old! Til death do we part. Loopy

• molliefish
    Options

Beautiful!!!! Enjoy being bossed about. Somehow I think you’ll be ok. Xoxo

• Mom2ABoy
    Options

Aw, that’s the sweetest news. Congrats!

• Mom2ABoy
    Options

Hello friends! How is everyone?

I'm curious if any of you have had COVID-19 vaccination-related lymphatic congestion or any other lasting effects related to your breast cancer. I had the vaccine in April (first dose). I got the vaccine shot on the cancer side. It didn't occur to me that the immune reaction would cause my lymphatic system to go bananas! I had the normal expected side effects for the most part, except I also had pain on my left side (lymph nodes, and in the area where my cancer was removed). I've had pain on that side ever since.

• superius
    Options

I got my first shot beginning of May. When I was scheduling my appointment, one of the questions/ cautions was that lymphedema or inflamation might occur & create false positive on mammogram. So the vaccines should be taken Before mammogram or 6 week after. I was able to schedule both appts in same location, same afternoon. You said you got your shots on your cancer side? I thought one not supposed to get needle / BP check on the cancer side? (when I ended up in the ER during chemo, they put a neon color bracelet on my wrist for that)

I have some side effects from the second shots - some serious Chills & Hot Flashes at night (Been there, done that!) I think I got some joint / bone pain on my fingers after both shots.

I haven't told the WorryWart about the side effects -- he made me email my MO to make sure it's ok to get the vaccines -- Not in the exact words, but he was basically afraid the vaccines might (a) shut down my immune system, OR (b) makes into over-drive & attack itself. (yeah can you tell he had the "M" word in his mind?)

p.s. he's NOT taking the vaccine.

• molliefish
    Options

Hi ladies, I had both shots on the bc side. I didn’t think much about it the first time but the second I did. That said no issues for me. I had the first one on April 20 and the second on The week of may 24. All went well. I had Pfizer both times. My honey who has not had cancer had Pfizer April 20 and Moderna June 21. We think we were very fortunate not to have any side effects from either. Aside from some weird dreams the first dose that is.

• deeratz
    deeratz Member Posts: 318
    Options

Hi Ladies!

I have had both of my COVID shots. Pfizer for both. The first one I got in my thigh and it was awesome. I had zero issues. When I went for my second shot at the pharmacy they would not give it to me in my thigh as they were not trained to give it there. So I did have it in my non cancer side. I did have BMX with sentinel nodes removed from both sides, so I don’t have a good side. I wish I would have waited and got my shot at another place. I had so much swelling and pain in that arm. I literally had no armpit indent. My arm swelled up. I ended up wearing a tight sports bra with my compression binder from my surgery. I was freaking out that I really messed myself up. It lasted about a week and has now subsided.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and doing well.

• Mom2ABoy
    Options

it’s good to hear all your stories! I decided to go with Pfizer for my second shot. Very few side effects, just sore on my (non-cancer side) arm. And very, very tired for a few days. Also realized that I’d been taking too many naproxen for the discomfort caused by the first shot, and that it was probably causing rebound pain. Stopped taking it, and after a week or so I felt much better.

I hope WorryWart will reconsider. Delta variant and now Lambda variant are more contagious. And as a vaccinated person you could carry it without any symptoms and give it to him.

• superius
    Options

I will see how I can bring that up to the WorryWart. I haven't thought about the other way around ... that I might pass it to him.

We are pretty isolated -- I am working in the office, but there a fewer than a handful of people and we have to wear masks still (university policy). At church we are also apart from the congregations, at least 12-15 feet away from anyone. And we have a fan to keep air moving, and door open behind us. But I think he's traveling to students' houses now...

I was supposed to have jury duty tomorrow, but couple weeks ago I suddenly had this "conversation" in my head -- I would tell the Worrywart I have to go to the court house, and he would give me thousands of reasons why I CAN'T go -- I think previous day we were hiding in the church kitchen during a function with too many people outside without masks, and he was talking about the variations -- Anyway, so I sent back the letter and made excuse that my doctor does not recommend because "previously compromised immune system".

• Musosgirl
    Musosgirl Member Posts: 305
    Options

So, I have been gone awhile. Didn’t realize it was so long. Glad to see all the updates! Superius, especially happy to hear about you and WorryWart working together!

Well, my BS is out of practice, not by choice. No word on if she will come back—my ONC thinks not. It is devastating because I loved her. Love my ONC too and he is retiring. Told me last week he thinks I can move forward without any cancer doctor—I cried I was so scared. I want someone following my care! He wants me to keep doing yearly mammograms but just report to my PCP—I like him just fine but I don’t have the same report as I did with my cancer team.

In general life is chugging along just fine. Homeschooling is going well—DH has had work through all of Covid, even though he couldn’t gig or hold recording sessions. Our house has decided to have everything break all at once though so we are trying to deal with financing some major repairs, but life has dealt worse hands….

I haven’t gotten vaccinated yet—I just can’t get past not knowing long term side effects of this new advancement in medicine. It is so exciting, especially in what it could mean for cancer!, but still not well tested. Since we are all home so much I was really okay with my decision to not get it, and we mask and wash hands a lot, and social distance—but now with the new variants and my eldest talking about getting a job…I question myself. What I really want is to be tested for T-cell immunity to see if I have already had Covid—and if not, I think I am ready to take the plunge—but that test is $$. So glad I got on here and saw you all talking about shots on the cancer side—that hadn’t even occurred to me! I will keep it in mind. 95% sure my youngest will not get the vaccine—he has serious food allergies and is barely in the approved age group anyway.

• molliefish
    Options

hello Lovelies, not many visitors here anymore which is good. Here I am 7 years later with microcalcifications on the unaffected (right) side, having apparently not, had a false positive due to deodorant (which I forgot not to wear on the annual), but a confirmation of the existence of said little white dots and a request for a biopsy. Of course like last time I didn’t tell La Familia so,now I get a voicemail from the new family doc that they want to do a biopsy. Fuck fuck fuck….

Ok I’m good. Lololol. There isn’t a palpable lump and I have already stopped stressing. What is the point. What will be - will be.

• superius
    Options

Hug hugs to you, Molliefish. Hope all is well. I also have calcifications noted in past 2 mammo & none of the Drs were concern. Said it's normal as you grow older. --- getting to grow older is good. :) Speaking of growing older, today is WorryWart's big 50. Nope. everyone still gonna work - church musicians & all...

• molliefish
    Options

Well this is a celebration!!! happy birthday to Worry Wart! the 28th was my 27th anniversary as a police officer too.. milestones are a blessing xoxoxo

• molliefish
    Options

Follow up with the surgeon today, DCIS, 2.6cm, grade 3, ER + (only 5%). DCIS in one margin, therefore revision surgery on the 20th, 4 - 6 weeks recovery and on to radiation.

Hope all is well with everyone. I'm feeling ok, just a little peeved. Not sure why but I am.

• molliefish
    Options

revision surgery tomorrow. What will be will be right

• molliefish
    Options

revision surgery went as well as I could have hoped for. No cancer at all. Saw the rad onc today finally. Busy lady. I’ll hav e 16 rounds, whole breast, no nodes, and I’m done. More tattoos though. Lol not the kind I thought I’d get. Take care all.

• superius
    Options

Heart Prayers and well-wishes sending your way. I volunteered today at our home church with Christmas Outreach. There was a lady 40+ years NED (diagnosed when she was 35)

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    Options

Hello ladies I had a challenge navigating the new board. Just wanted to wave hello and say hello

• molliefish
    Options

some times this disease just keeps on hammering away. This time i learned a day apart two of the boys I work with found out their 37 yo wives have been diagnosed. One of them has opted for double mastectomy on Tuesday and the other will start chemo first in the next week or so. I am doing my best to support but wow! It’s a lot for them to digest and I was so much older when diagnosed. Oh!

• superius
    Options

I got summoned by Radiology to redo (?) mammogram and ultrasound next Tuesday. will need to stay there for at least 2 hrs, and getting results.

They saw something in one of the images from last month. Usually they just take one pic for 2 different angle; but the tech took second one twice - 3 pics in total, instead of 2. Got my period few days after that mammogram, wonder if it had something to do with anything… 😐️

• molliefish
    Options

hang in there girl! Hopefully it’s just dense tissue. Xoxoox

• superius
    Options

All Clear! extra pulls & squeezes and took 4 or 5 pics from all different angels. got bunch of stickers to make the "freckles/ moles" (which started showing up these few years).

Radiologist looked at the pic STAT (they are in the office next door). but no need to do Ultrasound.

• molliefish
    Options

I am so glad for you!

• superius
    Options

Hope all is well for everyone. We are almost 8 years out of Chemo! Woohoo!

I'm here to request prayer for my cousin Joanna. Tomorrow (21th) is her birthday. Not directly cancer related… but

Couple years ago my cousin was diagnosed with "Stiff Person Syndrome" while in Michigan. She'd been taking med & having the IV shots. There was break in her IV treatment when moved back to CA & change of insurance. Now she's under care from the Drs at Stanford. & it doesn't seem she's responding to the IV shots & Drs think there might be mis-diagnosis?

She was in town with her parents for a wedding banquet. I saw her often closed her eyes seemingly bearing some pain or muscle tightness /spasm. Her med (a med for Parkinson symptoms) also made her lethargic (like Sloth). On top of that... according to my aunt, her husband of 6 yrs "is no longer in the picture" 🤬

As FB Memories pop up in summer about 2015 & WorryWart ... just say that I will take 10 WorryWarts instead of someone not keeping their vow! What happens with "In Sickness and in Health?"!!!

& as I read about more about SPS being an autoimmune disorder, it suddenly dawned on me why WorryWart worried about the covid vaccine, & made me email my MO..... (he worried the shot would either shut down my immune system or trigger it into overdrive).