Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fall 2015 Rads

Options

Comments

• cuddyclothes
    cuddyclothes Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2016
    Options

Congratulations HappyHammer and Steflove!

I had minimal after-effects. First the left side of my chest (where I was radiated) turned red and was covered with itchy bumps, which later spread to my armpit. Lots of Aquaphor and anti-itch cream took care of them. My breast is redder than the other but you wouldn't notice if I weren't so pale. And my nipple is brownish and MUCH more sensitive. That can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Winking

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited January 2016
    Options

HH! Hooray for finishing!!!

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985
    edited January 2016
    Options

Cuddy..haha...not so much now, but hey...will see how it all works out haha. Still thinking of our possible 50 Shades of BC book....I actually have two toned nipples....(cannot believe I just typed that) but, yep...the peeling has begun and while I think it's weird...apparently the DH does not agree...cray, cray and yet....he has made all of this work for us in every way. Could not have ever asked for a better DH because I didn't even know what I really, really wanted/needed. 30 years of good stuff come June. So thankful!!

• cuddyclothes
    edited January 2016
    Options

HappyHammer, congratulations! We celebrated 30 years (gulp) in 2014. Hope you plan to do something special for your anniversary.

• Molly50
    edited January 2016
    Options

Our 25th is in September. I hope to celebrate big this year.

• HappyHammer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Cuddy- what did you and DH do to celebrate?

Molly- 25 is a big one! What are you thinking about doing to celebrate?

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited January 2016
    Options

Congratulations on finishing, Steplove!

I would be hesitant to schedule anything directly after.

• Molly50
    edited January 2016
    Options

HH, my dream is to take a trip to Europe. Since that is just not realistic right now I hope to at least have a weekend away together. What about you?

• cuddyclothes
    edited January 2016
    Options

HappyHammer, we scheduled a trip to London and Paris! London for our anniversary, Paris for my birthday. They're just a few days apart. We had to save like crazy, and used AARP expedia.com I HIGHLY recommend it. We were only there for a little over a week, but it was so worth. I had never been to Paris, and we had both been to London long before we knew each other.

If you can't go overseas, go somewhere special you've always wanted to visit. It's way better than a party.

• HappyHammer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Cuddy- Did a week in Paris in '12 and LOVED every minute! Molly- completely understand....am hoping we will just rent a big house at the SC coast for a week or two and that fam will come and go as they can...making good memories with the ones we care about the most is really my goal from this point out.

• Molly50
    edited January 2016
    Options

That sounds fantastic, HH. I aapplied for Pink Houses of Hope. If we get selected that will be our anniversary trip. Otherwise I will settle for even one night in a hotel with my DH.

• trvler
    edited January 2016
    Options

How are you doing, Molly?

• HappyHammer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Molly- Had never heard of Pink Houses until you mentioned them. Hope that works out- looks and sounds amazing!

• Molly50
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Trvler, I am doing pretty well. How are you? How's the diep flap working out post rads?

HH, it seems like a wonderful opportunity if we get chosen.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,312
    edited January 2016
    Options

I’ve graduated from aloe+Aquaphor to just CeraVe all over with a little added Curel Itch Defense to the irradiated area. (Not irritated, but a bit flakier than the rest of my skin). Might switch to the Curel Itch Defense body wash too--as much as I love the smell and feel of my L’Occitaine Citrus Verbena shower gel (it reminds me of the Viking River Cruise we took in 2012, since that was the stuff in our cabin’s bathroom), I wonder if it might be a bit too drying. The LE therapist urged me to moisturize all over--it minimizes friction during MLD and keeps the skin supple.

• theearthlaughsinflowers
    theearthlaughsinflowers Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hello everybody~ I have received 24/25 regular treatments and then I have 5 boosts.

I am concerned because my RO only wants to boost the areas in my breast where the surgery was- he does not plan to treat my area where I had positive lymph nodes (and all removed).

Has this been the case for others that have had an axillary lymph node removal?

Thank you,

Pam

• Molly50
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes, my boosts were oonly on my mastectomy scar. The rest of my treatment included axillary node, supra clavicle nodes and inner mammary nodes.

• etnasgrl
    etnasgrl Member Posts: 185
    edited January 2016
    Options

According to my RO, the boost is only to the surgery "bed", which is wherever you had your lumpectomy or mastectomy.

• HappyHammer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes, 33 treatments- last 7 were boosts to lumpectomy bed.

• theearthlaughsinflowers
    theearthlaughsinflowers Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks Molly59, etnasgirl and HappyHammer. I feel better hearing it's the norm. Just want to know I'm doing everything I possibly can to never hear about cancer again

• trvler
    edited January 2016
    Options

Doing pretty well, Molly. Skin is still a tiny bit darker but itching is 99% gone. Radiated foob looks the same. I can't see any impact from the rads.

• phoebe58
    phoebe58 Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2016
    Options

Glad to hear you are on the mend Trvler:) My foob half way thru is lifted a bit higher, a tad pink, but it has been swollen since the beginning -- apparently a strong immune response rather than side effects, and supposed to be temporary.

Hope all of you in the east are managing ok with the big blizzard.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 894
    edited January 2016
    Options

Here is what my neighborhood looked like today. We estimated about 25 inches.

• HappyHammer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Brutersmom...all I can say is Wow! We had the snowstorm of a lifetime here in sunny SC back in '02 or '03 ( snowstorm of a lifetime and I cannot remember when-oops!) Anyway, unheard of, but we had 20 inches...missed almost 2 full weeks of school. Best, most fun time ever in terms of children being able to really make snow memories and neighbors joining together for lots of fun! Hoping it is good and not stressful for you all as you deal with this!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 894
    edited January 2016
    Options

In '96 we had 36 inches. That shut things down for a week because we were not prepared. We had warning for this one. I was just looking at pictures of Reading PA. It looks like it might be a couple more days until things get moving there for a lot of people. When I lived in the city it was about team work and helping one another. Today, there is a you owe me mentality. We were out driving around today. A lot of places weren't open but many were. It was also interesting that there were areas that had about 1/2 the amount of snow that we did. Digging out was a lot of work but it actually felt good to be able to get out there and move the snow around. So happy we have a plow and snow blower.

• HappyHammer
    edited January 2016
    Options

Bruters- well, glad you were prepared and have the equipment you need! Hang in there.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,312
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yike! We never got 3 ft in one fell swoop, not even during the Blizzard of ’79 that cost the Mayor his job! Stay safe and have someone young & strong do the snow removal.

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited January 2016
    Options

(amused) Interesting how snowfalls vary betwixt different communities. Downwind of Lake Michigan as I am, I"m in a very VERY different' pattern from Chicago....

• Molly50
    edited January 2016
    Options

Trvler, glad your foob is holding up. I started some more mild peeling again. How long does the radiation keep working? You all are having snow and we are sunny and 70's

• rainnyc
    rainnyc Member Posts: 801
    edited January 2016
    Options

Glad everyone is recovering from itchy skin. I'm still using the aquaphor, but I figure when I use it up (soon), I'll switch to something that isn't as hard on my clothes.

Brutersmom, beautiful photo! We also had about 2 feet in NYC. Fortunately, the sun was out yesterday as we dug out our car. Made lasagna for supper; I thought we'd earned it! Below: the car before we rescued it.