Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2015; join us!

Options

Comments

• bc_201509
    bc_201509 Member Posts: 1
    Options

starting 6 rounds of TAC 9/9

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

bc_201509, welcome to BCO. Glad you found us, and please keep us all posted on how you're doing!

• AnnieB43
    AnnieB43 Member Posts: 724
    Options

edwsmom I get what you're feeling. My mom keeps asking me what I need then keeps telling me I look tired. Then you get "the look". Argh I'm just sick of it! I don't feel sick yet! I don't look sick yet! I just don't want to constantly be reminded of cancer in every friggin conversation.

• AnnieB43
    Options

Had my chemo class today and my bloodwork. All ready to start on Tuesday. Getting a haircut Saturday. I'm sending my hair to Chemo Divas for them to make a halo wig for me. I look awful in short hair. I know it's vain, but this hair thing bothers me more than anything.

• edwsmom
    edwsmom Member Posts: 270
    Options

Annie

Yes, you nailed it. That's it exactly....thank you! Hugs

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    Options

Only my bro knows in my fam. No one else. Two fold reasons: 1) to spare them as they would be highly anxious and would literally have heart attacks. In their mind, anyone with cancer is dying and it would crush especially mom and dad. I had quite the time with bro holding his hand but I need his help. 2) They would drive me bat shit crazy hovering over me 24/7 and walking on egg shells and their anxiety would stress me out to no avail. I'd need an anxiety med or 10 to deal with them. Thankfully I'm not close to the extended fam here 30 min away, and dad lives in Irvine CA/mom in Seattle. Perfect.

So only bro and my 2 bffs know which is bliss because even keeping them up with the happs is tiring and I'd be exhausted by the time I'm in the middle of the treatments. I love being left alone and know I can call on one of these 3 to help if needed without any of them creating anxiety in me in trying to calm them down. Bro took awhile like right up until sx but came around nicely when he saw how well I did at sx.

• Summerfun
    Summerfun Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello September!
    I'll be joining you too. I'm having my port put in September 10th and starting my first round of taxotere, capboplatin and herceptin on September 15th with a Nuelasta chaser on the following day. Six rounds total followed by radiation. I have learned a lot from reading these posts but I'm sure my learning has just begun.
    Good luck to all!
  • octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

welcome, bc201509 and Summerfun...will add you to the list. Let us know how you are doing, and we are here to support each other.

Octogirl

• AnnieB43
    Options

i just ordered some cheapo colored cosplay wigs off amazon. My kid's are autistic and I think crayon colored hair might make it more of a game and maybe I can avoid them getting any anxiety over this. They're just so little. I hate upsetting everyone with all this mess. I HATE CANCER!

• octogirl
    Options

edwsmom: when it came to immediate family, I told them all in an email. Sort of the cowards way out for me, but it means I can control the questions and avoid the look (or the phone equivalent)...it may not surprise you to learn that the only one who really understood the right and wrong things to say was my sister who has had bc. so, my lesson there is that it is really hard to understand unless you are going through it, and given that, I try to be understanding of the dumb and even hurtful comments, as I wouldn't wish this on anyone, much less my loved ones!

Only have told a few friends. Co-workers, that is a very tough one for me and I am still struggling with it. Even my direct reports, with one exception, know nothing, and I start chemo next week. I did tell my boss and he is being very supportive (and keeping it quiet, as I asked him to do). I don't want to tell the people who report to me. Just very hard. But they are bound to figure it out sooner or later. I may take the chicken way out and send an email. in any case, like you, I find it to be very difficult.

• Lila-claire66
    Lila-claire66 Member Posts: 73
    Options

I'm in! I start chemo on the 9th so am eager to connect with others during this time period.

lilaclaire

• Lila-claire66
    Lila-claire66 Member Posts: 73
    Options

I have not heard of chemo divas and a halo of your own hair, I will check this out. I bought a really cute wig for my business meetings then have gone online to learn how to tie neat head cover scarves. I am not all that concerned as I quickly put together solutions since I knew I had to! I cannot do the bald with baseball cap as I look really bad in caps.

Thanks for your post! hang in there
  • octogirl
    Options

adding you to the list Lila-claire66 and welcome to the group.

I got another beenie in the mail yesterday and I hate it. Makes my face look fat even with the hair sticking out. Will/would look worse without hair I think. Hubby said, 'well, at least it would be available if you want something quick and easy to put on.' Grrr.....

• AnnieB43
    Options

Www.chemodiva.com

• Scotland
    Scotland Member Posts: 216
    Options

Once we told our daughters (7th and 10th grade) and the few people we had to tell in person, I went totally public. We live in a large, close-knit community. There will be no hiding it once I start chemo. I've only told a few people at work, but have also told them that it's not a secret. Information is doubtless flowing. My personal preference would be to crawl into a hole until treatment is done, but that just didn't seem fair to my husband and kids. I'm settling for controlling the information flow. Right now, the gossip is all about how great I'm doing after surgery. I suspect that will change when I start chemo in a couple of weeks.

All this talk about wigs and beanies! I think I'm in denial. I've always had long, dark, curly hair. It's hard to believe it will be gone in a month! Next week is time to gets my ducks in a row. Aside from trying to power through physical therapy before chemo starts (I have some delightful cording), I've done nothing.

• AnnieB43
    Options

I felt a bit better organizing and getting together all my self care things. It was like the only thing I felt in control of. I have a quiet area to sit set up in my room and I got a nice basket to put all my nail stuff, lotion, meds, etc. Everything is so out of my control so I've focused on being organized.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    Options

ouch ouch ouch I hate this pain and especially the increasingly limited mobility in my right (mastectomy side) arm :(:(:( "Cording"? The radiologist doing the ultrasound to rule out phlebitis said it's not serious, only "Mordor's Syndrome", and didn't understand my sarcastic "yeah, it really feels like all of Mordor is in there!" --- even after I tried to explain the Lord of the Rings reference --- then corrected himself, oh, "MoNdor's not MoRdor's".

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    Options

everybody stresses how I need to use this pre-chemo time to rest, collect my strength, organize my bed area, and prepare frozen foods ahead of time --- but I have had to spend hours ever day either at the hospital, or the dentist downtown, or health center --- and I guess at least partly because these pain meds are dulling my thinking, I haven't been able to prepare especially food ahead of time, becuse I can barely keep up with taking care of (unsympathetic) husband --- who only grudgingly helped this weekend with parts of laundry and cleaning that require lifting that I at least at the moment simply cannot myself do. I am scared what will happen once chemo begins and I can do even less :( At least I can tell him to eat ready-made foods; my body has allergic reactions to all that I've tried so far; I'm hoping that even on the worst days I'll still be able to cook myself some oatmeal porridge and supplement with jogurt??

• AnnieB43
    Options

tessu that totally sucks. If you weren't so far away I'd gather the troops and come help you get ready. I'll keep you in my prayers. Can you lay in a supply of canned nutrition drinks and maybe cup o noodle or porridge you just have to add boiling water to? That's what I did because no one else can cook around here. Men can be jerks. I'm cutting my hair today and my husband actually asked me if I was going to wear a hat to cover up that "awful short hair" What a moron!

• AnnieB43
    Options

BTW that was an awesome Mordor reference!

• Artista928
    Options

I'm concerned about food prep too as I live alone. I feel fine now but have no clue with chemo. What nutrition drinks without soy is great to have, in case you need to supplement because you are living off of cereal?

• AnnieB43
    Options

My doctor told me to stick with good old fashioned Carnation Breakfast Essentials. My kids drink it all the time.

• flower68
    flower68 Member Posts: 114
    Options

Hello September my birth month. Will pre-celebrate my birthday starting chemo on Friday next week.

• justmaximom15
    justmaximom15 Member Posts: 89
    Options

I started Chemo in June and I've finished the first half and begin the 2nd half (weekly Taxol) on the 10th. I just wanted to drop in and wish you all good luck and let you know you can get through this.

I've skimmed over a lot of the posts and I would like to say that Kathryn Simpson had some very wise things to say!

My advice for those just beginning is to not go too overboard buying this and that. Get the necessities for sure but wait until you see what you actually need and will use. Between friends, family, and freebies I've only had to purchase a few scarves. Sign up for the Look Good Feel Better class, you'll be glad you did, I doubt that I ever would have owned a tube of Coco Chanel lipstick but there was one in my LGFB kit!!

I'm very hot natured and that seems to have gotten worse during treatment. I knew I could never do the wig thing so I'm having lots of fashion fun with scarves and head coverings. There's a few videos online that show you how to make a turban out of the bottom of a shirt. My niece went to a thrift store and bought me a bunch of pretty blouses just to use for this purpose.

Good Wishes Program and Peppermints & Ginger Comfort kits are a couple of great programs that I highly recommend checking out.

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

Hello to my September sisters. I had my port or in today. I opted for conscious sedation (propofol and versed) because general anesthesia makes me nauseated and takes forever to wear off. I'm not sure what was conscious about it because i was not aware during any of it. I'm definitely gad i chose that route as I'm feeling almost normal now. Just a little bit sore.

• twiggyOR
    twiggyOR Member Posts: 246
    Options

Flower68 i start chemo next Friday also and my birthday is at the end of September. I'm expecting i will be bald or my bday. :( To top it off my youngest son who i haven't seen in 14 months comes home on leave the 14th so he's going to have to watch it happen.

• Artista928
    Options

My bday is 9/28. I'm anticipating chemo will start before the end of Sept. On Tues I was just confirmed for the 2 hour chemo class and 1:1 nurse practitioner teach that follows in Berkeley where my MO practices. I'm going to have my port in just before my 9/23 MO appt. I'm going to ask on Tues if Dr Wexler can write the orders for my cocktail and fax it to the infusion center at Washington Hospital before I see her so I can secure a spot before the month is out. I feel like I'm in limbo as I've been feeling good for a long time and want to get this over with.

I'm sure they book out because it's such fantastic center, which I get to tour before I'm a pt there with my buddy nurse navigator who is downstairs from them and then have lunch with! I'm actually kind of excited. Weird I know but hearing how well they take care of you at the center with no worries on water and ice chips, snacks and juices to your own private room with a tv and wifi in it. Nurses cater to you like you are a queen is what Polly says so this part I look forward too as I was stressing about how am I going to lug snacks and drinks and all.

• edwsmom
    edwsmom Member Posts: 270
    Options

I have a toddler turning three this Fall. I'm so nervous about the impact on him. I don't want hm to be afraid.

I was home with him today (took the day off by his preschool was closed) and he is so high energy, he can be a handful on my most energetic day.

We are doing a family photo tomorrow while I still have hair.

I like the idea of organizing the area by my bed. My oncologist told me that she had a patient that was able to ward off the side effects on our nails by soaking daily in tea tree oil. I'm going to try it. Maybe if I dump a bottle of it into a resealable container and soak my fingers and toes?

Twiggy... I'm going to do that sedation too. I can't tolerate general anesthesia. I have no idea what I'm going to do about it for. mastectomy. Lots of anti nausea meds?

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    Options

Edswmom- I used the tea tree oil to great effect. Put it in under the nail and on top of the nail bed several times every day, then coconut oiled over top. Became a calming ritual.

Also, I see you have Taxotere in your cocktail. My onc nurses offered ice packs that I rested my fingers and thumb (awkward position) on, all though every Taxotere infusion.

Between these two things, my nails ridged and discolored, but never got black or lifted, and I didn't lose a single one.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

I used a brush-on tea tree product followed by moisturizer. I had a little lifting on my big toe nails, but retained all of my nails. Thursday Plantation available at Amazon, though I bought mine locally.