Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2015; join us!

Options
1221222223224225227»

Comments

• tkemp67
    tkemp67 Member Posts: 74
    Options

Tessu

That is the best news.

God is Great!!

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

I just saw your post Tessu! Yay!!!!!!!! Such good news!

Octogirl

• DLcygnet
    DLcygnet Member Posts: 152
    Options

Hi everybody!

It's been so long since I logged in. So much has happened. I love reading all the updates from my ladies; glad you're in the clear, Tessu!

For everybody else getting their ovaries removed - how did you get around to pulling the trigger? I've been given the option of removing 1 ovary, both sets of tubes and the uterus, but leaving one ovary behind to avoid a hard menopause start. I'm not sure if I should take it.

My beautiful boys are now nearly 7 and the second will be 3 in October. They keep me busy along with the husband - we're still semi trapped at home thanks to the pandemic. I get my 2nd Moderna shot on 17 April. My eldest son resumes full time school at the end of the month. I feel like the chemo brain and mommy brain are finally lifting. I've continued nursing as long as possible in order to defer tamoxifen as long as possible - hate that mind fog! And now I hope I can help somebody else through the same roller coaster we've already been through.

Here's an 8 month old picture of me with the cuties! I would love to see updated pics of everybody!

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    Options

Hi again! Still waiting on my COVID vax, Finland is rather slow, but I might get my first dose mid-May - yay!

DLcygnet At the end of January, I had my tubes and ovaries removed by laparoscopic day-surgery, because of a scary (but luckily benign) growth on one ovary. The procedure was done under general anesthesia, starting around noon; I was able to go home just after 7PM the same day (they don't let you go until you pee :) ). I came home with 4 incisions - two very tiny ones on either side of my lower abdomen (one stitch each); a vertical one-inch at my naval which would have also been itsy bitst except they found the start of a hernia there and kindly fixed it because they had to make the hole anyway for one of the instruments. The largest incision was made in my old C-section scar, just left of the midline. That one is an inch and a half, because the growth was large and that's where they took it (and tubes and other ovary) out. I had the option said no, because it wasn't giving me any trouble. Recovery was easy, tylenol/codeine for the first 3 nights, otherwise just tylenol. No lifting heavier than 1kg = a full quart milk carton for one week, no pilates or other sit-ups exercise for 2 weeks. Stitches were self-dissolving.

Overall, the surgery and recovery were much less stressful/uncomfortable than I expected. I had already gone through menopause about a year before my breast cancer, and am taking AIs (letrozole), so no change in those symptoms, which for me have been mild anyway.

If you are considering getting your ovaries out to prevent ovarian cancer, I'd suggest getting both plus tubes out. Leaving one ovary in wouldn't change cancer risk (to my knowledge). And leaving your uterus in would prevent possible urinary incontinence later (not very common but still a side effect of uterin removal).

I hope this helps, and I hope if you decide to get the surgery, that all goes well <3

• tessu
    Options

My yearly controlss were switched last year from the hospital cancer clinic to the community health center, I guess because at 5 yrs everything was ok. Had trouble getting an appointment, so I got the usual bloodwork done privately (this lab doesn't require a doctor's order slip). Aaaaand: my AFOS is up, almost three times what it used to be all through treatment controls, and definitely out of the normal range. I'm scared. Luckily I finally succeeded in getting a health center doctor appointment for next week; repeated the bloodwork this morning. Crossing fingers this is just a false alarm...

update Sept. 15:

My AFOS was repeated through the public health center, and although not as low as it used to be, it is just within normal limits. The doctor was not concerned, so I'm going to try to stop worrying, since I feel ok (except for tired). She wanted me to restart Fosavance for as long as I take letrozole. I have to go in for mamm/ultrasound, but am not worried, no lumps :)

• jojo0529
    jojo0529 Member Posts: 56
    Options

hope you are found well. I miss my ovaries but reducing risk is so important.

• tessu
    Options

Thanks, Jojo0529 :) I had my ovaries out in January and don't miss them - the left one was growing a scary cysty-thingy that hurt and that luckily was benign :) I hope you are well too.

• jojo0529
    jojo0529 Member Posts: 56
    Options

i love your advice ig be gentile with yourself. it is hard sometimes

• tessu
    Options

Dodged another bullet. The radiologist who did my mammogram and ultrasound took six needle biopsies of the lump the (new to me) health center doc found at my 6-yr checkup. Took awhile, but got the pathology results today: NO evidence of cancer. Yay! And double yay! because I got my lymphedema arm remeasured ,and will get two new sleeves and two gauntlets (last new sleeves were two years ago).

Friday I was a volunteer "fashion model" for our local cancer society's Pink Ribbon Fashion Show, featuring clothes from their second-hand shop :) My second time; last time (before COVID) the clothes were from local stores/boutiques; this time with the pre-owned clothes we all had much more fun.

I hope everybody in this group is doing well.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

yay tessu, great news!!

I am doing well....busy, but well.

Octogirl

• flower68
    flower68 Member Posts: 114
    Options

Hello September 2015 ladies,

It has been forever since posting. Still doing great, going to yearly mammograms/visits and so forth. 6 yrs in August 2021 since my diagnosis.

Hope you are all well

Flower68

• tessu
    Options

I can't believe it's been 7 years since my diagnosis. When this all started, I didn't expect to make two years, let alone seven. But so far, no recurrance. A few scares - most recently getting ovaries and tunes removed because of a scary cyst, that luckily turned out to be not cncer. Am followed by a generalist at the health center now; the hospital oncology clinic transferred my care after my 5-yr-check-up was normal. I'm very strongly considering stopping the letrozole at the end of the year, instead of continuing for the original ten. Nowadays most women here are only put on estrogen blockers for five years. Breast cancer treatments have changed so much since 2015 - new drugs, new treatment schedules! (Although I haven't posted here, I'm in a couple Finnish bc discussion groups, and was active in our local support group until it pretty much fizzled out due to COVID. So I still sort of keep up with the latest news).
    I just had a colonoscopy yesterday for small amounts of blood. Had delayed getting the study, because I was so scared it would mean another bout with cancer, and I honestly didn't think I could handle that. Luckily - so very luckily - there were no abnormalities except a teeny tiny internal hemmorrhoid. What an enormous relief!

Looking forward to the holidays: decorating, baking, cooking - and having the family together for a few days (our kids have been out on their own for years).

Hoping all is well for everyone here.

Thank you for all your support

• deeratz
    deeratz Member Posts: 318
    Options

Glad to hear you are doing well Tessu. It is hard to believe it has been 7 years for all of us

I had called the Cancer clinic here to refill my Tamoxifen yesterday. They called me back and told me I reached my 7 years and I am done. I thought the plan was for me to continue until February so when they told me I was caught off guard. The break up happened a little sooner than anticipated. I am grateful to have made it 7 years on the medication with minimal side effects.

I am a little bit scared about being done but have to trust in the process and trust that I am DONE with Cancer. I sure hope that I am truly in Menopause. If my period returns after 7 years I will not be happy. So fingers crossed that doesn’t happen. At 52 years old and not having one since August 2015 I don’t think it is likely