Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors...15+ years and out

Options

Comments

• Nadiap
    Nadiap Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed as 3C in Aril 2017 at 34.

Like @Lianakalb says it gives so much hope to read such stories.

Being so young and listening to oncologists saying you have 50% or less to make it to 10 years, is really tough to get your head around and figure out how to keep going on as a normal young person.

• Gapeach13
    Gapeach13 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hello everyone!

Thought I would add myself to this list as I made it to the 15 year mark earlier this year.

We ARE out here. Hugs to all of you and blessing into the next year.

Ruth

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks Ruth! Amazing milestone! Thank you for sharing the hope. Have a wonderful holiday. xx.

• Carolehebert
    Carolehebert Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi i was wondering if you are still on antihormonal drugs.I also had stage 3,9 nodes and they want me on it forever .I am on Tamoxifen now almost 7 years .I wish so much i could stop but what if ...

• NoteRed
    NoteRed Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2019
    Options

its such a relief to hear from you all...I'm getting to one year - point of no return - so I m getting a little scare....

• Imlalaland
    Imlalaland Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2019
    Options

great attitude!

• countca04
    countca04 Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2019
    Options

Weesa: thank you for sharing. Just finishing AC treatment #4, yesterday and then will begin twelve weeks of Taxol. It's been a change of everything in my life when I thought like my mom who just turned 92 I had 30 years and now I just look at the next five years ahead. So your post gives me much HOPE that this cancer can be beat and I will be here to live with my wonderful husband and two adult daughters that I adore. Breast cancer is a life changer::: I don't have the energy to sweat the small stuff, I must continue exercises. And eating well!! So much encouragement from these posts! Thank God! Today I can't seem to get out of bed because I'm so exhausted and lack energy but I know three days from now I will feel better!!!

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thank you to all for the encouragement!! Wessa once again you put a smile on my face and fill my heart with hope that maybe I'll get to 16!! Cheering us all on to 16 years and beyond!!

• beatthis
    beatthis Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    Options

Sugarplum - i have a very similar diagnosis to you, diagnosed 48 years old November 17, 2cm idc grade 3 her2- with 10/30 lymph nodes affected! Mastectomy left breast and lymph node removal, chemo, radiotherapy and ovary removal, taking Femara letrozole! It gives us newbies so much hope to see that we can still have the chance to lead normal lives after such a scary diagnosis, thanks so much to all you lovely ladies who take the time to help others like myself not to feel doomed and so alone, it really does help so much xxx

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hooray, I get to post here officially today!!! 15 years NED 😃😊😁 So incredibly grateful to be here posting this today ❤️

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2019
    Options

Gapeach13 and mpetago, thanks for posting your HUGE 15 year milestones! WooooHooooo! A big congratulations to both of you!

• beeline
    edited February 2019
    Options

mpetago - amazing!! Congratulations and thank you so much for coming back and spreading the hope!!!

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    edited February 2019
    Options

Me too now.

15 years! NED from grade 3, stage 3 hormone positive!

• mpetago
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hooray wallan!!!! We're still here and doing great!! 😊🤗

• mpetago
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thank you so much ladies and as long as I'm here, I'll be back to post 😊

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2019
    Options

please ladies, come back and tell us you are doing great, we so need it❤️❤️

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    edited February 2019
    Options

Not quite to 15 - This month is 13 years since diagnosis - there is life after BC!

• bestrongforeveryone
    bestrongforeveryone Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    Options

hi everyone,

I am new to BC , just done surgery and waiting for Chemo and radiation etc. I read all your stories and feel so warm... it encourages me , I am sure I can do it, like all of you did, thank yo

• iamelaine
    edited March 2019
    Options

It was 15 years ago today that I received my diagnosis. I truly cannot believe it has been that long. I was 47 at the time and have seen my kids graduate from college, two received their Masters, they have all purchased homes and two have gotten married. We are expecting two grand babies this year as well. My husband and I have traveled quite a bit and we are so thankful for each and every day.

There is life after bc. Live and love large, ladies.

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    edited March 2019
    Options

All of your posts bring me so much hope. I just finished neoadjuvant chemo and had my BMX. My pathology showed 4/7 nodes still positive, even though my 6cm breast tumor and sentinel node were completely negative for cancer cells. Is there a chance i could be posting on this thread in the future?

• maryds
    maryds Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi, thank you for sharing this wonderful story! Do you know if your friend's mom went through chemo for all 3 cancer?

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    edited March 2019
    Options

IAmElaine -- you give me hope. I have just been diagnosed with Stage III, saw my surgeon yesterday and will be seeing the oncologist very soon. I don't know the size of the tumour (yet) because I know it's huge and was afraid to ask. I am a good candidate for all the stuff they can throw at it. I dread the thought of chemo but am anxious to get on with it and get it out of my body. I am so happy to find this forum. It is a great comfort and gives me such encouragement.

I am told I shouldn't kiss or pet my cat when I am undergoing chemo. That depresses me. I love my husband and he is so supportive (he offered to shave his head in support) but Aelfric, my kitty, also is so comforting. Bob will have to clean the litter box! Should I wear gloves and mask during kitty time? He sleeps on Bob's end of the bed.

Can anyone suggest how to manage a messy/cluttered house that is "mostly" clean. Kitchen and bathroom counters always wiped down. There are instruments, crafts stuff everywhere, books, CD's/vinyl. When I looked at preparing your house before chemo it looked like I should strip the place down until it looks like a monk's or nun's cell. Nothing but flat surfaces for disinfecting.

Let me know how you all managed. The thought of prepping the homestead is daunting. It was built in 1929 so it is perpetually dusty. Artist live here -- we hate spartan surroundings.

Keep on keeping on, my new found sisters.

• elderberry
    edited March 2019
    Options

IAmElaine -- you give me hope. I have just been diagnosed with Stage III, saw my surgeon yesterday and will be seeing the oncologist very soon. I don't know the size of the tumour (yet) because I know it's huge and was afraid to ask. I am a good candidate for all the stuff they can throw at it. I dread the thought of chemo but am anxious to get on with it and get it out of my body. I am so happy to find this forum. It is a great comfort and gives me such encouragement.

I am told I shouldn't kiss or pet my cat when I am undergoing chemo. That depresses me. I love my husband and he is so supportive (he offered to shave his head in support) but Aelfric, my kitty, also is so comforting. Bob will have to clean the litter box! Should I wear gloves and mask during kitty time? He sleeps on Bob's end of the bed.

Can anyone suggest how to manage a messy/cluttered house that is "mostly" clean. Kitchen and bathroom counters always wiped down. There are instruments, crafts stuff everywhere, books, CD's/vinyl. When I looked at preparing your house before chemo it looked like I should strip the place down until it looks like a monk's or nun's cell. Nothing but flat surfaces for disinfecting.

Let me know how you all managed. The thought of prepping the homestead is daunting. It was built in 1929 so it is perpetually dusty. Artist live here -- we hate spartan surroundings.

Keep on keeping on, my new found sisters.

• beeline
    edited March 2019
    Options

Elderberry, I’m so sorry you’re here but glad you found this group. I didn’t do any kind of “house prep” and in fact gave up any cleaning whatsoever during chemo. I also cuddled my cat as usual and took great comfort in her sleeping under the covers with me as she has always done. My husband took over cleaning the litter box and I took precautions about illness, but also continued to work and took my kids to school events, etc. Generally you don’t have to quarantine yourself these days. Ask your dr about nuelasta which is a shot they give to help keep your blood counts up. Good luck as you go through this process.

• elderberry
    edited March 2019
    Options

Beeline, bless you. I feel a bit better about this stuff now. The thought of attempting to tidy our wonderful chaos was overhwelming. I'll keep checking in. I saw in one post a lady with a 10 cm tumour that went down to 3 cm after 4 chemo sessions. So I have hope. This is a wonderful forum.

• iamelaine
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi, elderberry. When I was dxed the big win/win for me was I no longer had to scoop the cat boxes! We have always had 3 fur babies and they are always inside cats only. I was never told not to cuddle them. In fact, they slept with us while I was in treatment. They would lay on me and purr, taking care of me in their own way.

As for the house, we have never been people who can live around clutter but my home is not by any stretch, spotless. We just kept up the general cleaning as always. On days I didn't feel up to it, my husband or my grown kids would step up and do whatever it took to keep it up.

Honestly, the important things to do are take care of yourself. Eat well, get lots of rest and keep doing the things that make you happy.

• kdrake1007
    kdrake1007 Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2019
    Options

Elderberry,

My cat was a great support during my treatment! He’s not usually very cuddly but always seemed to know when I was having a bad day and needed some cuddle time. Husband cleaned the litter box, I’m the feeder. Had my daughters come by to do it when he was out of town, although MO said I could do it with mask & gloves on if necessary.

Good luck with your treatment

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2019
    Options

16 years for me. Diagnosed 38 but had lump through pregnancies over 3 yrs...hugs to all going through now. It's a rough ride, like crossing a raging river with no boat. Yet it's doable. Wishing you all lots love. HUG. Michelle

• Misstic
    Misstic Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you Carmelle for your testimony. What kind of hormone therapy did you get to achieve this great outcome and what was your percentage of ER+ ?

• iamelaine
    edited March 2019
    Options

Carmelle, that is wonderful news to be blessed to report! Thanks so much for popping back in here and sharing your 16 year milestone!

Misstic, I have been on an AI for over 14 years. I took tamoxifen for one year then switched to Arimidex for 6 years or so and am now taking Femara (letrozole).