Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors...15+ years and out

Options

Comments

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited October 2019
    Options

wow craftynanna, that is awesome, thanks for sharing! I don't have any experience like that, but our general rule of thumb is that if a symptom sticks around for more than 2 weeks, get it checked out.

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited October 2019
    Options

we should note that there are more positive stories than negative because many people who are ned either don't post here anymore or never have. Another thing to consider about this board.

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited November 2019
    Options

I'm closing in on 17 years...still freak out now and then. No special tips for survival...except maybe all those bilious green margaritas...I am grateful to be one of the oldest rats in our Stage 3 barn... Weesa

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2019
    Options

WEESA! Always good to see your posts, especially with news like this. You make me wish that I liked tequila....could I settle for Ben & Jerry's?

Hugs to you - Julie

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hey Weesa,

Break out those margaritas and celebrate 17!!! So grateful for being able to share the barn with u and all the other old rats!

• Roaming_Star
    Roaming_Star Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2019
    Options

Congratulations to you all! Looks like we'll have to start a new forum - 20 yrs. + !!!!

Lots of love,

Romy

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2019
    Options

Weesa, congratulations on yet another huge milestone! I will hit number 16 on March 1st. Thanks so much for starting this thread.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited December 2019
    Options

weesa...this is a little late to the party to congratulate you...but here I am. Did not think to look at a 15 yr survivor thread. Adding it to the 5 and 10 yr favorites!

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi friends did anyone of you have her2- before mastectomy and become her2+ later. I am her2 positive now and had 8 lymph nodes positive. I want to take kadcyla but since I did not receive herceptin before surgery my oncologist is apprehensive and wants me to take herceptin and Parjeta. She will seek a second opinion for me as well. Anyone here with a similar situation

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 557
    edited January 2020
    Options

Craftyanna, I had DIEP flap recon of both breasts about ten years ago. I get a spasm pain on my left side (cancer side) when I stretch down and forward. Makes it hard to release my car's gas tank door because the release switch is down on the floor to the left of the driver's seat. In one car it's darn near impossible because you have to push the switch down. That REALLY set it off. I gave that car to my daughter. As of late, I haven't noticed it happening, but then the car I now drive has a switch that has to be pulled up, so maybe I'm just not putting it in the same situation.

• linus13
    linus13 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2020
    Options

15+ year survivor here! I was 38 at time of diagnosis. Had the works thrown at me: Neo-adj chemo, rads, oopherectomy, tamoxifen, femara + tram flap recon. Only regret is the tram flap - long term effects have not been fun but it's something I just deal with. I am happy to discuss my journey!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,069
    edited March 2020
    Options

Dear linus13,

Welcome to the BCO community. Thank you for sharing your story. We know that it is inspiring to our members to hear stories like yours. We hope that you will stick around and share your thoughts and your journey. Let us know if we can be a help to you.

The Mods

• GracieMay123
    GracieMay123 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2020
    Options

Congratulations and Thank you for replying... we need this inspiration! xoxo..

• 7of9
    edited March 2020
    Options

15 yrs...amazing! and diagnosed so young...thank you for inspiring! Be the light at the end of the tunnel and shine on!

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2020
    Options

With all that is going on I just realized I hit my 16 year anniversary on March 1st!

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2020
    Options

thanks for inspiring us ❤️ I just hit 1 year and looking for many more years ahead 👍🏻

• 7of9
    edited April 2020
    Options

iamelaine...great job!!! Thanks for sharing. 11 nodes...thats one more than me...chasing your lead!

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Congratulations Linus13!

I am joining the 15 years club officially!

This despite phenomenally poor prognosticators way back. I am healthy and living large and in gratitude everyday.

Wishing all the very best.

• Bonnie7
    Bonnie7 Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi girls,

I was first diagnosed in 2002 with DCIS then 2005 with IDCS. I had a reoccurence, unfortunately, 18 months after a lat dorsi reconstruction in 2016 (DCIS) 😪

I am still living with Cancer, lymph nodes on chest wall and node on scar line at recon site (implant removed!) The nodes are 'stable' with hormone therapy. I take a self reduced dose of Aromasin. I can assure you, you can go onto lead a very full and happy life even with this disease!

I am lucky, I have good kids, divorced and happily single. Love my dogs, loyal friends and love my job (in Nursing).

I am pretty cynical about further treatment, if I am honest, should it come to that......I have had a few not so nice experiences with surgeons which has added to me feeling this way. Maybe less is best!!??

So enjoy every day, we all have good days/bad days...but 18 years out....I am blessed!!!!

Big hugs to all my BC Sisters!💛😘

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2020
    Options

congratulations to all !!!

I love seeing this thread grow !

• Bluebonnetmama
    Bluebonnetmama Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank you for your encouragement Iamelaine. My cancer was also lobular and stage 3. I am currently doing radiation treatment.

Bluebonnetmama

• Gabrielle
    Gabrielle Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi Friends,

20.5 years. Stage 3, 9/20 positive nodes, 5.2 cm tumor, Her2/Neu. NED. Wishing you all the best,

-Gabrielle
  • beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited July 2020
    Options

Wow! Amazing Gabrielle! Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing!

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Gabrielle, amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing your story!! Continues good health to you and to all!!
  • newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thanks for sharing Gabrielle. Love hearing from long term survivors. Just what I needed today. Here’s to the next 20

• Roaming_Star
    Roaming_Star Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2020
    Options

That is soooo inspiring Gabrielle! Thank you for remembering to post your beautiful milestone:-)!!! I am now over 3 yrs. out! I had inflammatory breast cancer with basil cell mutations meaning statistically that 50% of women have metastasis and die within 5 yrs. I have never felt better! I am going strong. I am now completely whole foods plant based and do intermittent fasting. I am launching my new business in the fall. My son is now 24 and my garden is growing so well! Keep sharing your sparkle ladies!!

• mariadelpilar
    mariadelpilar Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2020
    Options

Weesa, I too like my margaritas, but scared to drink them because my onco says alcohol can bring a recurrence even though the research is not clear. sounds like you did not let cancer dictate how you live your life.
    good for you!!!

Cheers!

• benji69
    benji69 Member Posts: 88
    edited July 2020
    Options

Looking for your advice. Did anyone have a PET scan after all the treatments. I still have my port. Superstitious to take it out

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi, Benji - I did have a PET after chemo because I had a fairly poor response to chemo and was having some unusual pain in the area of my lymph nodes. It was a few weeks after surgery, so there were a lot of 'hot spots' that they were fairly sure were surgical changes, but the radiologist report said follow up (I feel like that is a general statement they use when they can't be definitive on something). This December will be 3 years from surgery for me, and so far so good. I felt the same about my port, but my onc said if I needed chemo again they would just put it back in...I've heard that's not something they do, but... I don't know about others' experiences, but I had mine in for over a year and it started to get embedded in the tissue...it wasn't terrible to get it removed, but it was far from pleasant! I would say, the sooner the better from that experience!

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2020
    Options

hi @benjie69 , I did have petscans after active treatment (chemo and radiation). It’s been 17months from diagnosis for me, I had my port removed today .