Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lymph Node Positive Survivors

Options
123457»

Comments

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2017
    Options

Mdic did you also have alnd? They are going to do that with me

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited June 2017
    Options

It is NOT true that chemo does not work on ER+ cancers. It IS true that chemo works best on fast growing cancers, such as HER2+.

• mdoc524
    mdoc524 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2017
    Options

Tpralph- no ALND .. they took Sentinel & 1st Axillary nodes during BMX surgery both were positive .. then AC+T Chemo & Radiation .. also had ovaries removed (ER 90% +) then started Tamoxifen last March & was switched to Arimidex in February - confirmed pos

• anna-33
    anna-33 Member Posts: 108
    edited June 2017
    Options

When I got the diagnosis I read an article that showed that local and locally advanced cancer potentially is cured by surgery and radiation alone. Chemotherapy and antihormones come as extra treatment to secure eventually metastasis celles in the blood from growing further... My one. said that it is wrong that chemo does not work on hormonal cancer...but as mentioned I earlier post it works better in fast dividing cells...high ki67...

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2017
    Options

Googling around today I found this thread but it seems to have come to a halt in June? I had a core biopsy yesterday and looks like an axillary recurrence according to radiologist at our cancer agency. My original tumour was near the axilla and my sentinel node biopsy same time as lumpectomy ended up with BS taking 8 nodes as she said it did not look good~~hot and blue were her words. 6/8 were positive. Chemo next in 2012/13 then mastectomy and axillary direction and 6 more nodes, one still positive after chemo.

This latest started with lymphedema then tingling, numbness in hand, added to by pain radiating from scapula though armpit down arm and into hand. Just over a month ago I started losing hand strength and pain and other symptoms worsening. MRI, chest CT with contrast and the biopsy yesterday. I am not surprised but still not exactly jumping up and down. I did have max rads to 4 fields including of course the axilla. Results Monday or Tuesday and no idea what treatment and/or surgery might entail if positive.

• Tpralph
    edited August 2017
    Options

saying prayers for you mariane! I too am receiving ac and t currently and had one out of two sentinel nodes positive. have to go back for more lymph node removal after chemo. I'm praying the rest are negative. wont allow me to know for sure if there were any more positive than the one but praying I get 0 because will confirm either there were nor more or the chemo worked. No guarantees in life unfortunately.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited August 2017
    Options

Confused as to why you need to go back for more lymph node surgery? My surgeon said unless I have any issues he wouldn't be seeing me again. Strange how everyone is different.

Also my ER and PR were highest at a score of 5,with 5 being the highest you could get. But I was still given Chemo as insurance against any floaters that may have broken off through the lymph system or blood vessels. After chemo I'll be getting radiation and some time I'll be starting either Tamoxifen or Aromatase therapy.

Interesting that they say chemo doesn't work for high ER/PR cance cells. I was never told that.

Good luck Mariane. I have a friend who is a two time survivor of breast cancer. Recently made a woman with leukaemia who was initially given one week left to live but is now cancer free. Don't give up before your miracle happens.

• Tpralph
    edited August 2017
    Options

if chemo doesn't work for ER/PR cancers then why would we be getting it?  I am almost 100 percent ER /pr positive. I think it must work on those cancers as well. My oncologist said that it would help me by about 6 percent, tamoxifin by 10 percent more survival

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited August 2017
    Options

Tpralph: Next time I see the MO I'm going to ask and see if I can clear up if chemo works on ER/PR positive cells. I'm also going to ask if it's insurance against any other types of cancers that could develop or if this is just targeting breast cells that may have gone rogue. When I read what each of the drugs do is seems like they target more than one type of cancer. How far along are you on your treatments? How many do you have left? Just curious why did you go with mastectomy instead of lumpectomy? I initially went in thinking I'd do a double mastectomy but my surgeon said she could do a lumpectomy and I'd still have enough breast left to look normal. I chose lumpectomy because it was less invasive and recovery would be easier. And no extra surgery for reconstruction. Plus I had BC on both sides.

• mdoc524
    mdoc524 Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

Tpralph - so sorry I missed your ?? on June 24th .. just seeing it now 

I did not have separate ALND surgery. I had a Double mastectomy and during that surgery BS took 1st Sentinel and Axillary Node - both had cancer - did not take anymore nodes. Had Chemo and Radiation after surgery 

Sending positive vibes for your ALND - how did it go? 

Mary

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2017
    Options

https://academic.oup.com/annonc/article/20/7/1157/...

Girls here is a link on the estrogen positve and chemo thing

I appologize if I freaked everyone out with my Doctors response back in May. After my surgical pathology report came back... which showed no change ..As to why the neo adjuvent chemo did not work well with me, but I believe I said everyone is different!

I am 63 post menapausal I had a 3 cm tumor and some lymph nodes involved They were hoping the chemo would reduce... it did not but .. it also did not grow more

Her comment to me when I asked was' chemo doesn't always work well on estrogen positive'

Doesn't always , doesn't mean never

I can just go by my own experience.. from trials they seem to be finding that the endocrine( hormonal therapy ) works best And chemo gets better response on the estrogen negative... but there hasnt been enough studies to be clear on this so I believe the doctors are covering all the bases

Which is a good thing

Most chemo is given after surgery removes the tumors which may be the reason theres not enough recorded data

Where as mine was before..

• MamaOz
    edited August 2017
    Options

https://academic.oup.com/annonc/article/20/7/1157/...

Girls here is a link on the estrogen positve and chemo thing

I appologize if I freaked everyone out with my Doctors response back in May. After my surgical pathology report came back... which showed no change ..As to why the neo adjuvent chemo did not work well with me, but I believe I said everyone is different!

I am 63 post menapausal I had a 3 cm tumor and some lymph nodes involved They were hoping the chemo would reduce... it did not but .. it also did not grow more

Her comment to me when I asked was' chemo doesn't always work well on estrogen positive'

Doesn't always , doesn't mean never

I can just go by my own experience.. from trials they seem to be finding that the endocrine( hormonal therapy ) works best And chemo gets better response on the estrogen negative... but there hasnt been enough studies to be clear on this so I believe the doctors are covering all the bases

Which is a good thing

Most chemo is given after surgery removes the tumors

Where as mine was before..

• Tpralph
    edited August 2017
    Options

pink, I am awaiting my 4th and final AC then onto 4 DD taxol. currently halted due to another abdominal wound infection from my diep.  I chose bmx as had two known tumours in right breast and couldn't stand the thought of going for mammos every 6 months (anxiety) and wanted symmetry. Plus I had read that sometimes they find things in the other breast which did not show up on MRIs so didn't want that either. I think if I could have gotten away with a lumpectomy I would have, but as my tumours were apart from eachother we went with mx. then they found a third tumour starting in same breast so was a good choice for that one anyhow.

mdoc- ALND will be this fall after all my chemo.......not looking forward to that; however looking forward to getting this chemo s@*t over with!

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Mama Oz, that is exactly what my oncologist said about ER/PR+ tumors. In my case, they were surprised it responded to the chemo and they couldn't find the tumor on my last ultrasound. Surgery is this Wed. so we shall see the real results as scans and ultrasounds don't pick up on everything.

• MamaOz
    edited August 2017
    Options

shell , best of luck with your surgery!

Oddly none of my drs could feel my tumor after chemo which was why the big surprise Biti had implants and we think the bugger took refuge!

I chose bmx because my implants were leaking and just wanted no more worry.. good thing as the path report showed new tumor starting on my left side that had been undetected... so Im grateful for my decision

Ill. Be curious to see what your report shows hoping the chemo worked for you!! Again best of luck you will be fine!!

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks Mama Oz! I just can't wait be done. I opted out of construction for now. Glad they found your tumor early!

• MamaOz
    edited January 2018
    Options

shellsatthebeach

How are you doing ? Its been awhile. I am now taking arimidex.. a bit achy and joint stiff adjusting ok to no recon..

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239
    edited May 2018
    Options

bump

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2018
    Options

6 years out now.....and no chemo.....

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2018
    Options

Lily do you remember your er and pr percentage???

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2018
    Options

MamaOz - Thanks for posting that article, it's very interesting. My cancer is one of those highly ER+ cancers which has not particularly responded to chemo. I have just started Xeloda at my MO's suggestion, although I will ask her more about this emerging data.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited October 2018
    Options

95% ER positive and I think 80% PR........

• MamaOz
    edited October 2018
    Options

shells

How did your surgery go?

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2018
    Options

almost 100% er and pr, two years out!

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi lily! I remember you from when I got an ILC as 2nd recurrence in 2012 :) so good to see you are doing well. Yay!! I agree with aussieched about the 5 year thing..it all kind of evens out post 5 years.

I also agree that apples are awesome and buy organic and still wash them well.

So I had one node pos in 2002 and still here. Ok.. had a couple of recurrences despite double mx and double axilla clearance.. but still local! So yeah... lots of reason for optimism LM. Hug