Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2016
    Options

Lilyn, you seem to be recovering very well. Good for you.

Lessharp, great nipples!

• Cbug
    Cbug Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am in the process of deciding when to do my Diep procedure and have a few questions 🙂

Lessharp I didn't know you could do nipples the same time as your first surgery are there any additional risks to doing it all at once?

Also was wondering I am a double d right now I'm thinking of going to d with the Diep procedure do you think I will be able to go braless I have never been able to do it and I'm hoping that would be a plus 🙂

I have two kids 8 and 9 my oldest has severe disabilities and needs help with all tasks and i need to be able to change pull-ups and help with bath time I'm trying to figure out how long to have people helping at my house we do not live near family (military life 🙂) so I'm trying to see how long before you think I may be able to do those two tasks everything else my hubby can

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    edited February 2016
    Options

Welcome to Breastcancer.org Cbug. Sorry you find yourself here, but glad you found this incredible group of women!

You may find this section helpful: What to expect with DIEP Flap Reconstruction.

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited February 2016
    Options

I came home today. My surgery went really well. It was over in 6.5 hours. My PS requires ICU care with three days of bed rest. That is to ensure the flap doesn't die- he's never lost one. it really was the way to go for so many reasons- it helped with pain having limited movement, much better nursing care, 3 out of 4 drains are producing very little, and it was so quiet! My ICU care was great. Standard care, not so much but I will get to that in a moment.

I haven't looked at anything yet. I'm not afraid, I just don't feel like it. The constipation/bedrest/gas thing was an issue. I tried a bedpan but that didn't work. I had one full night of horrible stomach cramping from gas. That pain rivaled my post-surgical pain.

I am not sure if I have high pain tolerance, but my pain meds went down considerably after 36 hours post-surgery. I was in recovery for four plus hours because my bed was given away and it took awhile to get another. My pain was pretty bad and they said they were only allowed to give me a certain med in the recovery area. I'm pretty sure I argued with them about that. I have had some norco today.

Yesterday, I was kicked out of ICU. :( I went to a double room. It was so small and my roommate had several guests. She had at least six at one point and they were loud. I did text some concerns to a friend but left it at that. I figured if it carried on a long time I would say something. It was a very jarring engironment compared to where I had been. Eventually they all left. My family in Alabama were gathered so they called me and started passing the phone around so I could talk to everyone. While I was talking to my sister, the first person, the roommate yelled out "excuse me" in a snippy way. I ignored her- I didn't know who she was talking to. I talked a little more with my sister, then my brother got on. She yells," excuse me," again. This was not a nice, kind polite tone she was using. She yelled at me that I was being loud and I needed to keep it down because she was trying to sleep. First, let me mention that I'm normally a very nice, polite person, but if you're rude to me and I'm already fed up, I'm probably going to give it back to you. So, I responded that I was just talking to my family and that I wasn't being loud. I also pointed out that she had had six people in earlier and that they were being very loud. She then told me I was being disrespectful and had an attitude and that she didn't want to "start something. " at that point I walked out of the room to the nurses station which was just outside our room and went up to the nurse assistant and said that I needed to be moved to another room because my roommate was accosting me verbally. I came back in and she was yelling something at me again. I'm not sure what she was saying. I echoed what she had said to me that she needs to keep it down herself. At that point she said something to the effect of oh that's how it's going to be and then I could hear her unhooking stuff and trying to get out of bed. I debated on whether to leave the room because she made it feel like she might try to get physical! So she pulled the curtain aside and continued to be verbally aggressive with me saying that I have an attitude and that I'm disrespectful and that she just wanted me to be quiet. I pointed out that she didn't seem to be too concerned about whether I wanted to sleep when she had all the people in earlier in the day. She said you weren't trying to sleep. And I said how did you know whether I was trying to sleep? She said because I could hear you talking. This was because I gave up on resting and my friend hadtried face timing me twice. The nurse came in to find out what was going on and the other woman verbally accosted her. So in the end I was moved to another room thankfully and got out of the hospital first chance I could get today. It was a really upsetting experience

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jlstacey: so sorry that happened to you. Sending you healing prayers(emotional and physical).
  • Mel2328
    Mel2328 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you lessharp. You look awesome! I'm so happy for you.
  • Mel2328
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Jlstacey that's awful. Plus I'm sure you felt vulnerableif you thought she was going to get physical; Bc we gave to be careful of these flaps. I'm so sorry that happened to you.
  • Mel2328
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Did anyone else notice increased pain 2.5 weeks out? I was just about off pain killers and now on more than ever before. Pain is in donor stitching.
  • jwoo
    jwoo Member Posts: 931
    edited February 2016
    Options

OMG. I would have lost some stitches slapping the f&*% out of a b*&^%.

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited February 2016
    Options

Mel, I seem to remember being more sore about that time. The belly takes a LONG time to heal. I still feel funny down there, and I am more than 2 months out. You are likely getting more active, so that will make things more uncomfortable. I kept taking the narcotcs on and off for awhile.

Jlstacey, so sorry about your experience. Glad you got moved!

Your experience with gas pain reminds me of something an OB nurse friend recommended: Gas-x (simethicone). You can ask your doc to prescribe it. Take it every 6 hours till the bowels start moving. It helps prevent gas build up.

• BigSister-2015
    edited February 2016
    Options

Cbug, you will need help for at least a week when you get home. You will have lifting restrictions of no more than 2 lbs (the weight of the Sunday paper), which means you basically can't pick up anything, not even a gallon of milk.

This is crucial because they have done delicate surgery on your veins/arteries If you increase your blood pressure at all through lifting, you risk bursting those vessels.

Also, the more you move around and are active, the more you will bleed. That means you'll be stuck with those drains much longer and risk infection.

Your range of motion with your arms will be limited. Imagine you have a belt around your arms at the elbow--that is about all you can move at first. I couldn't reach to get a glass out of the cupboard for about 2 weeks, nor could I wash my own hair.

Thus, you will need someone to care for both of you for at least a week, assuming you stayed in the hospital for the full five days that they usually keep you.

Can a family member travel out to stay with you for a week? Do you have friends on the base that could help? Is there a church nearby that might be able to come alongside with help?

If no to all the above, then check with your doctor for home care of some sort.

As moms I know it is unthinkable to let your family down, but this is one time of life that you have to take care of yourself so that you will be able to pick up the reins again once you are healed.

HTH!

• BigSister-2015
    edited February 2016
    Options

Mel, thanks for thinking of me! I have been slowing coming back to normalcy, whatever that was. My brain is still fairly foggy after the shingles, but I am finally able to think well enough to get caught up with some major writing projects that have been in the wings way too long.

My doctor recommended a book that explains my "broken brain." It is "The UltraMind solution: fix your broken brain by healing your body first, the simple way to defeat depression, overcome anxiety, and sharpen your mind" by Mark Hyman. It is available as a DVD as well.

Just what I need: something else to research!

• Lilyn
    Lilyn Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2016
    Options

Jlstacey sorry to hear about that awful experience. As far as the constipation didn't they give you colace and senakot daily for that. I continued the senakot at home and things were okay I was worried about constipation as the women on the boards mentioned that a lot. I have now been home since Feb 16 after delayed bilateral and feeling better each day. Three drains out one in abdomen to go probably next few days. Thinking of you and good healing

• Cbug
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm pretty sure I can get help for 2-3 weeks after that it will be me and hubby but my daughters teacher offered to help when I need it and I may be able to get respite care for my daughter so I can have a extra set of hands every once in awhile 🙂

• omickijo
    omickijo Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2016
    Options

It has been over a month since I've read this board and there was a lot of reading to catch up. I am a 46 year old, full time student at the university where I live and I'm studying Biology. This semester I have a Genetics class with some info that I'm finding interesting, but my main interest is conservation and not the medical side of biology. That being said, I don't have much extra time to do anything. Even reading this board (which is important to me).

Myajames- your breast looked amazing. I see so many pictures of DEIP reconstruction and I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. After seeing yours I'm not as worried. I also watched a couple of videos on YouTube and the DEIP surgery. It was fascinating and amazing. I don't know if it is good or bad thing that I now know what exactly is going to happen.

Jlstacey- I'm so sorry you had to deal with such problems in the hospital during that portion of your recovery. I hope you are home resting and healing well.

My mastectomy is healing fine, but because I had the radiation to my right breast before the removal of the breast it has some funny wrinkling (at least that is what I am blaming it on). I did have a small problem with seroma for a while, but overall I wasn't as taken aback by not having a breast there as I thought I was going to be. I sometimes wonder if I should have waited to have my mastectomy done on my right breast when I went for the mastectomy and reconstruction on the left breast. When I went to have a consult with the general surgeon about the mastectomy portion of my reconstruction in June, she was surprised that Dr. Reuben suggested a DEIP (I'm kind of thin), I also mentioned we had discussed an IGAP. She said my doctor was very good at what he does and that if a DEIP is what he recommended then it would work. I sometimes pull on my belly there while I'm lying down in bed and wonder how I will stand up if that skin is pulled down. I also wonder at times if I'm being to vain and should just leave my breast flat and get on with my life.

I do find comfort reading every post. The good, the bad and the ugly. I thank you all for sharing.

• Bluebird123
    Bluebird123 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2016
    Options

Ladies, I have just learned that if you have been on hormone therapy (anti-estrogen), that you are supposed to discontinue that medication for at least a month before surgery. I didn't find this out until three weeks ahead, but the surgeon thinks it will be fine. Apparently the meds can interfere with the tissue transplant and cause it to fail. Has anyone else heard this? Not sure why they even had me start for two months and then off for a month, and I am assuming off for a while after surgery (i forgot to ask about that part). As if I weren't crazy enough - all these estrogen swings are making the ride pretty wild! What does anyone know about this? Btw, I was on Arimidex

• Bluebird123
    edited February 2016
    Options

Coolgrammie, glad to hear you are feeling better. So a week to ten days of misery and then things start looking up? Did the doctors have you wearing any compression either top or bottom? Seems like after my first mastectomy I was in a compression bra for at least a week, so I am wondering if they also use compression on the donor site.

For those who are out of surgery - how long until you can wear normal pants? Or even pants with an elastic waist - does that put too much pressure on the tummy? Just trying to figure out what to wear home from the hospital and for the next few days after. Yoga pants? PJs?

• BigSister-2015
    edited February 2016
    Options

Cbug, I was feeling much better after 4 weeks, so if you can get help for 2-3 weeks, that would be great. See how it goes after that. Everyone is different, so it is hard to anticipate exactly what is in store for you.

Omickijo, my first plastic surgeon told me flat out that I was too thin for a DIEP. Boy was he wrong! After 2 infections, I finally went to see a DIEP surgeon and he told me I was the perfect body type. My BMI was on the high side of normal. I had a little belly pooch, and it must have been enough because I am a comfortable C cup after my DIEP, making me at least the same as I was if not a little bigger.

I know many women go flat, but it was not for me. I am so happy with my cleavage. I look amazing in a bra and not too bad naked. (It will be better with nipples!) So, for me it was well worth it.

Bluebird, I remember women on the 2014 forum discussing stopping their Tamoxifen before their DIEP. I don't know for how long. I just looked through some literature on Arimidex and I don't think you really need to worry about not being off it for a full month. I think it is one of those things where they want to be extra cautious. It looks like there is a very slight risk of tight blood vessels in the heart (ischemia), so they might be concerned that it could affect your blood supply to the flap, but I don't see anything that says it WILL. Doctors usually like to err on the side of caution.

I think the benefit that you've received from lowering your estrogen, even for a short period of time before your break for surgery is valuable. Taking a break is not going to suddenly cause your cancer to come back.

Also, my doctor did not use ANY compression (breast or belly) after surgery. I think I started wearing yoga pants once my drains were out--LOVE YOGA PANTS! They are still my preferred pants. I have been wearing jeans since 7-8 weeks out from surgery, but by the end of the day I am tired of them. The light compression of the yoga pants is wonderful. Mine has a fairly wide waistband, so it was perfect. If they weren't so pricey, I would get another pair!

I wore a pair of elastic waist pants that were fairly loose home from the hospital. Some ladies like pajamas. I wear nighties, so I didn't want to invest in PJs that I wouldn't use for long. The loose elastic pants were great, and I was wearing the yoga pants pretty early, especially once I started getting more active.

I started wearing sports bras about 2-3 weeks out from the DIEP. I now LOVE my bali bras. (I added a picture of the kind a page or two back.) They give me nice, comfortable support. I think I am a tad bigger than I used to be, so a bra is nice, but I could go braless. Did I say I love my new foobs?

Meanwhile, the rest of my body is falling apart. A Heart Smart scan showed the good news that there isn't a bit of plaque in my heart vessels. But it did show that my aorta is enlarged, so a cardiologist is in my near future. It never ends!

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited February 2016
    Options

I wore PJs yesterday. They were a size up. Today I put bikini underwear on and have on tie lounge pants that are a size up. I have a binder and a surgical bra on. I feel really comfortable but presentable

• lessharp
    lessharp Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2016
    Options

Cbug, I didn't even ask about more risk! lol. Just as soon as she said she could do them stage one, I said "I want that!" Seriously, I would just ask your PS. If he/she isn't comfortable doing it at the same time, then I wouldn't do it. My PS is an 'artist', so she did take her time...but overall my MX's and Diep/incl. nipples were a total 10 hours. I don't know about going Bra-less with D's...but I wouldn't be surprised. My DIEP breasts are pert...but also very soft and natural...I doubt anyone could tell they aren't originals without the scars.

For those with pain, I really spent a lot of time getting up and about asap after the surgery. I'm not sure if it's just me, or getting up and moving...but I really didn't experience too much pain. I had ZERO narcotics when I went home day 5. I had more discomfort after stage two...liposuction is an owie.

I can't recall on the pants...but it seems I could wear jeans within a few weeks. I still wore a binder around my midsection...but you're skinnier with the diep, so it all seemed to fit ok, even with the swelling and binder. Out of the hospital I brought some exercise/yoga pants and a Button-up top....you definitely don't want to pull anything over your head. In fact they don't want you raising your arms above your head for a while. (they don't want you to stretch/pull on the new diep artery connection)

• Bluebird123
    edited February 2016
    Options

jlstacey and Big sister - thanks for the clothing advice. I'll likely head over to target this weekend to pick up a couple pair of loose elastic waist pants and/or PJ loungers for the first couple weeks. Even yoga pants are probably too tight while the tummy drain is still in, right?

Big sister, good input on the Arimidex. I'll go back and search through the 2014 discussion to see what else I can find. I started with last year's forum but am only about half way through.

Cbug- I say better safe than sorry - line up help for a good four weeks. Pull in all your favors and let other people take care of you during this time. You have been through enough already, so make sure you do everything to make this step of your treatment successful.

So grateful for everyone's input! It is so hard to educate yourself about all of the possible permutations of this whole cancer journey. Sometimes it feels like you're hacking your way through a jungle of information doesn't it? But otherwise you don't know enough to even know what questions to ask. And I am a firm believer in being your own advocate.

• Cbug
    edited February 2016
    Options

lessharp thanks for letting me know I will definitely be talking to my ps 🙂

If you are purchasing sports bras ahead of time should I buy a size up or do the zip front sports bras to make it easier?

• grateful99
    edited February 2016
    Options

I just found this information online about a link between ovarian cancer and baby powder:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/24/johns...

I had no idea! And all the mothers who use it on their baby girls. Please spread the word.

• Lilyn
    edited February 2016
    Options

We should be hearing from Tanya soon she is probably going home today. Thinking of you all. Tomorrow will be two weeks from surgery doing well very fatigued. One drain left in abdomen should be out this Friday can't wait!

• ducky179
    ducky179 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2016
    Options

3 weeks post op yesterday. Had a follow up this morning, which was more eventful than I was expecting:

A seroma was drained from one of my flaps (70 cc's). I had noticed a sloshing sensation the past couple of days, but I don't really know how long it's been there since I've actually had more pain in that area for almost two weeks. The drains for the flaps were removed at my first follow up because there was very little drainage.

The skin over one of the flaps has been peeling, which they said can be normal due to the new blood flow, but they trimmed it up quite a bit so now all of the scabbing is gone.

Part of my abdominal incision was actually a little open with some drainage. But they opened it more to allow for better healing. Only now I have to pack it 2-3 times daily with saline gauze.

Oh, and I left with my last drain still in plus a new abdominal binder. Before I was just wearing girdle-type underwear. But the hope is that this will help me get rid of the last drain.

• tanyarocks30
    tanyarocks30 Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2016
    Options

everyone. Surgery feb 18 (12 hrs) but still in hosp today feb 24 but should be going home tomorrow. Tough go first 3 days as doppler couldnt be found on left side so no eating and nervous about going back to surgery. Definitely not a good time. No 2nd surgery as cap refill etc still fine.

Last two days way better. Couldn't get my artificial leg on due to swelling which none of us really thought of so my mobility is getting better. The left abdominal drain position is very close to where the top of my leg goes so verrrry careful.

Have refused visitors except my wonderful handsome man who has been at this hospital 12 hrs everyday. Just didnt feel up to it. Ince i get home and settled.

Heres to the next stage. I still all 4 drains in.

• grateful99
    edited February 2016
    Options

Good for you, tanyarocks! Glad to hear you didn't need to go back in to surgery.

• Lilyn
    edited February 2016
    Options

Tanya sorry it was difficult first few days I also had a day when they were not sure it would work. U are right you don't need visitors not like we are having a baby and getting flowers. Only my husband sister and kids popped in. Everyday will be easier I get final abdominal tone out tomorrow. Take care

• Donita
    Donita Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi. I've been reading all the posts as I recover from my DIEP procedure I had Feb 5. I did it as a preventive measure-BRCA2. I was hoping to go back to work at week 3 for half days. I have a desk job so not much activity. I feel good except for the swelling under my arms from incisions and I have a rash spread out on my torso and upper arms, itches so bad. I'm not on any pain meds and am using hydrocortisone & benadryl and ice packs for the rash. Just wondering if swelling under arms or rash has been anyone else's main problems.

• Donita
    Donita Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi. I've been reading all the posts as I recover from my DIEP procedure I had Feb 5. I did it as a preventive measure-BRCA2. I was hoping to go back to work at week 3 for half days. I have a desk job so not much activity. I feel good except for the swelling under my arms from incisions and I have a rash spread out on my torso and upper arms, itches so bad. I'm not on any pain meds and am using hydrocortisone & benadryl and ice packs for the rash. Just wondering if swelling under arms or rash has been anyone else's main problems.