Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• goldenbride
    goldenbride Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2016
    Options

Big Sister-2015 glad to hear you're healing so well! ^^ I've been wearing those bras for 5 years! Soooooooo comfy!

tanyarocks30-that time will fly by. I spent my last week cooking up meals, checking out books on my kindle, and rearranging my living room to suit my 'woman cave' of crap I was going to need once I got to come home lol!

myajames-great photo of you and your son! My oldest is almost FIFTEEN and I seriously can not believe that!! Except he isn't as tall as your son ;) I hope you both had a nice time celebrating his big day.

jlstacey-getting my TE's out was like a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had implants put in back then though. I wish I had been given DIEP as an option back then (5 years ago) but my PS had told me I wasn't a candidate. (Pretty sure it was only because he didn't know how to do the surgery)

I am 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery and have my great days and also some (very) not so great ones. I still have one drain in, its in my upper thigh/lower left abdomen. I started with 6 total, so I guess I can deal with this last one :) When I left the hospital, I had 2-and when they removed that other one last week, this last one began filling about 75-90mL per day. When I went yesterday for my check up, I knew he would leave it in, and he didn't disappoint. One more week with my little friend. The commute to see his is about an hour and a quarter on a great day. Yesterday was NOT a great day!!!! We had gotten about 4" of snow the night before, and came upon an area of highway that had a few accidents due to black ice. It was a 2+hour ride there, and we were 40 minutes late. Thankfully they did not have any surgeries scheduled, and were fine with me being late. The ride home was thankfully uneventful, but by the time we got home my husband and i were both tired and crabby!!!! Thanks to all those hours in the car, I was UNBELIEVABLY sore last night....almost uncontrollable....I am only on Tylenol at this point, so I just took them every 6 hours and took it VERY easy last night.

My youngest daughter (9) came down with the stomach flu this past Saturday, and I'm pretty sure I used up EVERY.LAST.PRAYER. praying that I did not catch it. It was a HORRIBLE 36 hours of vomiting every 30 minutes, and then the other end started. She was sooooooooooooo sick, it was heartbreaking. I only wished I could scoop her up and cuddle her until she felt better. But once again damn cancer took that from me too. She missed school Monday, and she slept 19 straight hours :/ So yesterday when we headed to Milwaukee for the PS appointment, we chose to bring her along, and take her to school for a half day once we were done and back home. By the time we were on our way home, it was very apparent she wouldn't make it even for a few hours. So once again she stayed home. THANK GOD none of the rest of us caught it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I had my last implants put in, April 2014, I ended up with an allergy to the combo of pain meds they gave me, and I spent the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th days after surgery vomiting every 4 hours until they figured out what was causing it. I MOST DEFINITELY do not want to go through THAT pain again!!!!!!!!

Here's some pics of my process:

• ducky179
    ducky179 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2016
    Options

Day 8 post op! Last couple of days have been all about pooping... Happy to say more if anyone wants to know, but I would recommend maybe starting colace a day or two prior to surgery if it's ok with your treatment team. Getting things started has been difficult! I also found out today that my final path report "looks great"! So sounds like no surprises! I have my first follow up appointments on Friday, so I'll get the details then. I'm almost off the Percocet, but alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen. But not maxing out doses of either. Showered at home for the first time yesterday which was a relief! I'll be happy to post pictures later, but I'm supposed to wear my surgical bra 24/7 for awhile longer.

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2016
    Options

Looks like Lilyn and Stellamaris are next in line. All the best to you both!

• sportysister
    sportysister Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2016
    Options

Said a prayer this morning for Lilyn and Stellamaris, hoping for uneventful surgeries! Just got back from pre op at hospital. They have me down for capsulectomy, bilateral pectoral muscle repair and (bilateral) diep. Trying to get my house in order and havebeen cooking and freezing dinners for my husband and 2 sons. This board has been a lifesaver!

• stealth
    stealth Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    Options

My BMX DIEP surgery was May 26, 2015. I see that you're tracking what's needed when you get home and thought I'd add to your list. I had zero guidance on what to expect. This is a great list to keep up to date and front and center rather than buried in a forum.

Wedge (or two) for sleeping

White cotton T shirts - one size larger

Bottle of shout ( for the TShirts / clothes as there will be some leakage )

Thermometer (check temp to catch infection early)

Abdominal pads ( put between your yoga pants and incision - particularly when traveling in car)

Suresite 123 - transparent dressing ( covers breast dressing - excellent to keep them dry or to keep from leaking on clothes if going out on the town)

neosporin, gauze pads, tape, gloves, alcohol wipes ( some can be had from the nurses at the hospital - they'll help you )

Elasticized pants, shifts, bikini underwear, thigh high nylons

Grabber (for items dropped on the floor, etc.)

The only add that I would give you for the hospital is wipes and slippers. They'll have you up and walking the halls the day after surgery - that's when you'll need the walker !

I haven't looked back on my decision. While it's a long surgery and a long recovery, it sure beats wrestling with implants for the rest of your life. Heck, you get the flat stomach of a 25 year old, to boot.

Best of luck to all of you having this surgery in 2016.

Stealth !

• PiNKiDC51
    PiNKiDC51 Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2016
    Options

I haven't posted in a while. Mostly this is because after my sentinel node biopsy coming back positive - well, at my facility I'm no longer a candidate for immediate DIEP surgery (since I need radiation their practice is not to do DIEP until after radiation - they've come to believe its too risky a recovery process to do prior to radiation as their are more chances of necrosis and other problems). So, while I've still been reading (and so happy to hear so many are doing well after their surgeries), I've sort of felt like . . . I don't quite belong yet. However, I find I can't sleep tonight and so I've decided to post.

Today my initial BMX surgery was scheduled . . . it will be on the 24th. I'm scheduled to have a BMX with ARM-style dissection and expander placement. However, I'm also having an MRI biopsy between now and then to determine if another spot on my one breast in cancerous. This spot has yet to be tested because once I was diagnosed with the 2nd cancer in my other breast, the BS started talking BMX vs. lumpectomy. While that took a bit for me to absorb, I'm not so much opposed to the BMX - before the SLN biopsy it meant no radiation and potentially no chemo, both of which I'd have to have with a lumpectomy. However, with the SLN biopsy both chemo and radiation are now on the plate.

With this in mind, to avoid expanders I sort of began wondering if I could initially have a lumpectomy - go through all treatments and later when I've healed go through a BMX and DIEP reconstruction (as the lumpectomy/oncoplasty would only leave me very small breasts). What's strange is I was having that thought, but had not voiced it to my BS and he suddenly recommended that we test that spot. I think he's definitely gotten to know my fears. I don't hold out much chances that this other spot isn't cancerous as well, which will put me back at a BMX with expanders (and that's why that type of surgery is what in fact is schedule), but I want to get it figured out so I can't ponder the road not taken (as I know I would if I developed complications with the expanders, which is one of my fears).

Anyway, the surgery date looming I'm now very, very nervous. And, on top of that - today I learned my current job position is going away on the 1st of April. My FML is in place, so they are trying to place me in a different position, BUT I may not have a work from home setup like I had previously arranged for while I'm going through everything. It's very unsettling. And thus with learning both my surgery date today and the news about my job, I find I can't sleep. I've taken a very small dose of Ativan, but it's yet to kick in.

Lilyn and Stellamaris - hope your surgeries went well today!!! Stealth - thanks for the list. I obviously won't need all those things for my initial surgery, but none-the-less all these different lists are very helpful in trying to prepare.

Well, think I'll try to go to bed again - maybe I'll get an hour in before my alarm goes off. Best wishes to all!!

• grateful99
    edited February 2016
    Options

Lilyn and Stellamaris must be our new bionic women today. Congratulations ladies!

By the way, could anyone tell me how soon after the surgery you are allowed to leave the doctor's care and travel extensively? I'm planning to travel to Europe (10 hour flight plus a six hour bus ride). I have been told four weeks after surgery but is that realistic?

• StaceySue2U
    StaceySue2U Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi, Pinki. You and I are in similar circumstances. My lymph nodes look OK but my BC says there are no guarantees about chemo or radiation until after the BMX. I'll be having BMX with tissue expander placement on 2/25 and don't know when my DIEP will be. It's my understanding that they can do radiation with the expanders in? I could be wrong - there's so much information to absorb at the doctor appointments. I would much prefer to have BMX rather than just a lumpectomy because I know myself. I would be so scared of finding cancer every time I went back for a mammogram, that I might get too scared to get the mammogram! I'd rather just be done with mammograms for the rest of my life.

I was in the middle of switching jobs when this came about. I'd already left one job and was getting ready to start the next. So now I'm jobless. Plus my husband had already put in for his retirement in May and he was in the middle of training his replacement when we got the news. So - the retirement ball is rolling for him and his income will drop drastically in May. We had bought a luxury RV and Thank God I got disability insurance on it! If our house gets foreclosed on we'll still be able to live in the RV at my dad's until one of us can get back to work.

It's the job concerns as much as the breast cancer and upcoming surgery that keeps me up at night. Everything will be OK, though. We'll still have food to eat and a roof over our heads, and we won't lose our insurance because my husband has Tricare. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to send up some prayers for you.

I hope you got some sleep finally.

• phoebe58
    phoebe58 Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yay Stellamaris and Lilyn - congrats on being on the other side!

Pinki - I understand what you are going through -- I didn't have sentinel til surgery, and had chosen bmx and immediate diep -- had been told chance of rads quite low -- but then told after bmx I need them. Almost done, and very puffy and pink [physio said it looks like someone put square shaped iron on chest] but PS has assured me she will fix up whatever. R foob is now a bit higher which she told me would happen. Keep busy doing my ROM exercises and hope for the best.

Grateful -- re travel plans. I had to travel 500 miles [one hour flight] for surgery which was ok -- came home in two weeks, but put pillow under waist buckle, and PS said absolutely NOOOO to any long flights drives or bus trips for quite a while after due to higher risk of blood clots. If you must travel so soon please speak to surgeon for their thoughts, and if cleared do lots of aisle walking and wiggling about, maybe wear compression stockings, ?baby aspirin, hydrate well etc. As well, you still won't be lifting much at all, so either get travel partner to carry most of your stuff, and/or have just the smallest of light roller suitcases. While you are past the worst of it, it takes about 3 months to get more fully up to snuff with ab strength and scar healing and general energy...... and a few people do get complications. Travel, though wonderful, can be exhausting. I worry one month is too soon.

• grateful99
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks, Phoebe. I guess I'll have to wait to see how I heal first before booking my flight.

• J3nny4
    J3nny4 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi everyone! I'm new here as I will be having DIEP Flap surgery within the month and would love to learn more and connect with others who are going through the same thing. I'm sure I will have lots of question and lots to share, but I just have one thing right now after skimming through real quick as I am so confused with what kind of scars I will have and why. I am curious of the difference between the types of scars that BigSister and Myajames have. I believe I will be having something more like BigSister's. What my PS calls "ellipses". I'm just wondering if someone can explain what the difference is???

UPDATE:

I was just looking at microsurgeon.org and found some info that might have answered my question. The difference has to due with immediate versus delayed reconstruction?

Skin Sparing ReconstructionDelayed Reconstruction

Illustrations of the results with skin sparing mastectomy (left) and a delayed reconstruction (right). The abdominal skin island present on the breast is smaller for the immediate than the delayed reconstruction.

• ducky179
    edited February 2016
    Options

Had my first post-op appointments today! I'm post-op day 10. They took two drains out (the ones for each breast) and left both abdominal drains. I'll be allowed to shower without the bra starting post-op day 14. They also want me wearing compression over my abdomen--spanx or something similar. She said the abdominal binders they have go up too high. I'm surprised I didn't have to wear anything before now over my abdomen. I was also sort of given the ok to drive, which surprised me, since I'm of the Percocet. But I thought that would be too much arm motion?

• PiNKiDC51
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi, StaceySue2U ~ Sorry you find yourself here, but nice to meet you and find someone that appears to be on a similar schedule to me. I was too afraid of doing the immediate DIEP; however, that's what I most desired as I really have a fear of the expanders based on a lot of different conversations and things I've read on this site (not forum). Anyway, because of my fears I requested a SLN biospy (in hopes of confirming it was safe to do an immediate DIEP). That did not exactly pan out. Hopefully you will get better news about your nodes once your surgery occurs. And, yes - you can have both chemo and radiation with the expanders. Though I've heard/read in some instances a radiologist may want to deflate an expander prior to radiation (another thing I'm not keen about along with the possibility of other things wrt expanders). Anyway, the expanders are the preferred when radiation is required (preferred over implants and tissue reconstructions).

And, yes - I agree that I think overall I would prefer the BMX over lumpectomy (though it took me to come to that). I just don't like the expander aspect. That's why I've sort of thought if I could start with the lumpectomy and then do the now required chemo/radiation that would allow me to forgo the expanders. Once healed from the chemo/radiation then I'd schedule a BMX and DIEP. I'd just sort of have a delayed BMX as well as delayed DIEP (so to speak). However, I don't hold out much hope of being able to do this.

Most probably on the 24th I'll be having a BMX with expanders. Then my DIEP would be delayed. Since I have to wait 4-6 weeks from the 24th too begin chemo, which will last for 20 weeks, then 4-6 weeks after that start radiation and that will take 6 weeks, and then I'd have to wait a minimum of 6 months from end of radiation - I'm probably looking at April/May of 2017 before I can have my DIEP reconstruction. That means 14 months with those stupid expanders that I didn't even want for 3 months (and that's assuming no complications). See 14 months of an "iron bra" vs. a temporary lumpectomy - I'm just really wishing for the latter to get to my ultimate goal. Again though - not a likely thing, so really trying to prepare myself for the long expanders journey.

As for the job/income scenario for you and your husband - that sucks! (Though before all this I have to say I was really looking forward to retiring in about 7 years - was even contemplating going to part-time in 5 years, so I'm a little envious cause I'm just not there yet). So, is your husband retiring from the service or is he retiring from a second job? While a lower income will make things hard, maybe it's all good timing - he'll be able to be there for you. I feel guilty cause my hubby has a high pressure management job, so he's been trying to juggle my emotions and appointments and all with that. Luckily that have told him to take all the time he needs, but I know he worries about things that may be slipping through the cracks when his attention is divided.

With regards to starting the new job, did you just feel like all this would make it too hard to start a new job? Luckily, my company should place me in a new spot. The biggest issue is that I won't be able to work from home so as not to use STD. I might have to take it all fully while on chemo, but it was nice to potentially have the option to do limited duty at home. I'm a little afraid of being bored beyond all belief at some point during the recovery period. Also, while I'm concerned about my position, I know that between STD and LTD, I shouldn't lose my job/benefits (though will have to pay for the benefits with the reduced pay given for STD/LTD.) If I did lose my job I would be concerned, but like you we'd be okay with regards to insurance - we have both my husband's insurance through his current job and we also have Tricare.

Anyway, hopefully we'll both get more sleep in the nights to come and may our surgeries go well. I'm soooo very nervous. And, nope - don't mind prayers. They are appreciated. I will say a few for you and your family as well!!

Phoebe58 - "[physio said it looks like someone put square shaped iron on chest]" - does that mean you have some necrosis? The increased chances of necrosis and the hardening of the tissue are two of the reasons why my facility pretty much doesn't do immediate DIEP unless it's prophylactic or someone has a biopsy like I did that indicates the nodes are clear. That sort of irked me cause I know there are facilities that still do it, but after all we've been through and all things with his job - my husband would flip if I tried to change facilities. And, since I'm at a really good teaching hospital, I'm trying to trust (something that does not come easily to me). Anyway, hope your PS is correct and she'll be able to fix all for you! Let us know how it all goes.

• tanyarocks30
    tanyarocks30 Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi everyone that is new. Today was my last day of work pre-surgery. Bittersweet.

My lift chair was delivered this afternoon and I haven't moved out of it since lol 😃 surgery is Thursday so figured I may as well enjoy it feeling good. You know......get used to it

Long weekend here but damn cold. Flannel on the bed tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Myajames.....how are things? Healing sleeping pain etc

• phoebe58
    phoebe58 Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2016
    Options

J3nny - welcome - re scar types, I had skin sparing but not nipple sparing immediate diep, so look like exhibit A side with small crop circle patch of belly skin in middle, that will eventually get an origami swan nipple and tattoo. Otherwise a short sideways scar heading from circle towards armpit, that with some surgeons goes straight down instead [called a teddy bear nose]. Very pleased overall with appearance.

Hi Pinki -- no.... my 'iron' comment from physio was regarding the reddish burn developing which is pretty common for rads - there is no unusual hardness -- just the defined brick red mark which happens to be square shaped outlining the rad field, rather than a triangular clothes iron shape! thx tho:) . My physio said no lumps of any kind evident - just the general puffiness - when she gave me a lymph movement massage. I will post again later next week when I am back from seeing PS. Best wishes with your choices.

Loved my lift chair Tanya - rented it while in Vancouver...... then there was a power outage one night !! oh the irony:)

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited February 2016
    Options

J3: Yes. It is the difference between immediate and delayed. I didn't realize this until recently when I saw pictures of people who had delayed. I had immediate. I also had radiation afterwards. Seems like everything is fine so far. I know where I went, my PS said it was ok to do and his colleague wasn't a fan. His colleague was my second surgeon. He also has a site called Ask the Doctor where he answers questions about reconstruction. It was very helpful to me.

http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited February 2016
    Options

pink- for me BMX was a no-brainer. I have never regretted it

• Bntiffany83
    Bntiffany83 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a BMX with immediate DIEP reconstruction scheduled for 29Feb at Brooks Army Medical Center. The fear of the unknown is often overwhelming. I am a planner, a worrier, a what if'er, so ive been trying to focus on all the small details I can control, who will take care of our animals, having family come to help with my kids and offer my husband a break, where we'll stay (I'm about 3 hours from San Antonio). Now at 2 weeks out the reality is setting in... Due to other issues I'll also be having a hysterectomy (I'm 32 and have been in menopause since 30) I feel as if nearly everything that makes me a woman will be gone. I worry about how I will react to my new body! How my husband will react to my new body? I am thankful for this forum and have found so many helpful tips. I love that this is about encouraging each other and the freedom to say and feel however it is you want.
  • PiNKiDC51
    edited February 2016
    Options

Brittany83 - I so know how you feel. I had a hysterectomy when I was 39. I had never wanted anymore children after my 2nd born, but when I was told I needed a hysterectomy, I suddenly didn't feel the same. I knew in my head it was silly thinking to suddenly want more children I had never previously wanted, but when you're losing a part of you that is part of who you are - even when it's not all you are - it's hard not to have various thoughts. While I overcame what I thought was an irrational desire to have more children, I thought I was prepared for the surgery. I certainly was not upset about not having to deal with menstrual cramps and all ever again. I was not, however, prepared for the changes to my husband's and my sex life and that took some to get used to (since nobody had prepared me for that).

Fast forward to my recent breast cancer diagnosis and recommendation for a BMX and along with all my other fears, fears of potential changes to my sex life again is definitely on my list of concerns. This time I'm not in the dark about how a surgery like this could affect that area of my husband's and my relationship no matter how much he tells me that should be the least of my concerns. Many survivors who've experienced this change have tried to assure me that their BMXs have had limited affects on their sex lives, but it's hard to imagine at this point ~ especially when I can't fathom looking at myself again, so how can I imagine him looking and me and touching me. This is why DIEP reconstruction is so important to me ~ in my mind it will help me because I will still be me. I've just got to get through all the rest.

I hope all will go well for you! I'm so sorry you are so young going through this. I feel young in my early 50's, I can't imagine having to go through this in my 30's. My prayers are with you and your family!!!

Jlstacey - Hoping I will feel the same. I'm really hoping to be able to look back at this and consider is a "bump in the road," but right now I hate that phrase and can hardly image feeling like that about this situation. I am VERY thankful for finding this forum. It has been a godsend for me. I'm glad I overcame my apprehension about belonging to a group. I'm generally a loner, so it was really hard to overcome that apprehension, but it was easier to do this than to join a group that meets in person ~ especially anything local. I've still mostly only told family.

Phoebe58 - Oh, good! I've heard a lot of women end up with that sunburn. From the one picture I've seen, it seems really, really painful. Something I'm not looking forward to - though I think I'm even less thrilled about chemo. Trying to figure out the point of chemo when I don't have a fast growing cancer. I so get it for those with fast growing cancers, but have yet to wrap my head around how all the side effects are worth it for someone that does not. However, chemo was the last thing put on my plate, so I'm a little behind the curve on figuring that out compared to all the other things I've investigate. Anyway, let us know how it went with the PT.

• jlstacey
    edited February 2016
    Options

pink- did they do an oncotype score on you? I'm not completely familiar with it because I was triple negative, so chemo was a given. However, that score is used to determine if chemo will be an effective treatment for your cancer or if it isn't needed. I'm sure other ladies can chime in with more information.

Jena

• CoolgrammieNC
    CoolgrammieNC Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2016
    Options

hello everyone..well it's exactly one week since surgery..its was 13 hrs. Long..I did not wake up Intel next day.....pretty crazy....first few days were very rough time because the morphine did not agree with me. Took them until Friday to get my pain meds figured out. The I had very low oxygen levels, but other than all the usual stuff all went very well. Now just waiting for all path reports. Home sitting on comfy couch, starting to doze off talk soon....oh yeah....thank you for all the prayers I felt them with me

• Lilyn
    Lilyn Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2016
    Options

hi my dear DIE ladies thanks for your good wishes surgery was Feb 11 coming home tomorrow. Up on my own and walking a little. Feel better with each day going home with 3 drains and homecare nurses will come to check that. Can't wait to get home but with this surgery slow and careful after the words. Doctors and nurses commenting how lovey shape is. I post again when home all the best to Tanya an other ladies this week. Xo

• grateful99
    edited February 2016
    Options

Glad to hear all went well, Lilyn and you're going home soon. Take care!

• PiNKiDC51
    edited February 2016
    Options

JLStacey - I'm not sure I remember the reason (maybe number of nodes found positive or something else I forgot), but I'm not eligible for the oncodx type test. There is some other test that they may be running, but I forgot the name of it.

• jlstacey
    edited February 2016
    Options

Pink, I forgot you had positive nodes. That would probably why they want to do chemo.

I got my preoperative blood draw done today. I didn't actually know what it was for. They have to type my blood to prepare two units of blood in case I need a transfusion during surgery. They put a hospital wristband on me and I have to leave it on until Thursday during surgery. Did anyone else have this?

Tanyarocks, are you getting ready?

Lilyn- I'm glad you are doing well. Congrats on going home tomorrow!

Coolgrammie- 13 hours? Whoa! Were there complications? I'm glad you are cozy on the couch and home!

Ducky- OK to drive after 10 days? I think that's a little crazy! I'm glad you are doing well.

Myajames- how are you doing?

J3nny- OK, that drawing is total BS. No woman with abs like that is a candidate for DIEP flap.

Stellamaris, how are you doing?

• lessharp
    lessharp Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2016
    Options

OK, that drawing is total BS. No woman with abs like that is a candidate for DIEP flap.

jlstacey-

Haha! Well, the picture is an AFTER picture....my abs look like that now that I've had a DIEP! Seriously, I was a bit on the skinny side, so I will be having a stage 3. My breasts were DD's originals...so I am having to have several fat grafts to fill in the loose pockets. BTW, for those that are asking....I had nipples done stage one...so you can have that done all in one operation. I liked waking up with small but very real looking breasts/nipples. My originals were also substantial size difference, so I am having some trouble getting symmetry. All-in-all they look good.

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Everyone - surgery went well. I have no pain at all. Just a very distant itch. I guess after 3 lx there aren't too many nerve endings left in the old girl. Thank heaven for small mercies. Waiting now for the path report (Feb 26th). Next step will be either Rads or MX, depending if the margins are clear or not. I never in a million years thought it would drag out like this.

Best wishes to everyone on the road to recovery, and chin up to those of you still waiting for surgery.
  • goldenbride
    goldenbride Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2016
    Options

Glad to hear everyone continues to be healthy-even in the middle of all our cancer nonsense.

I continue to heal verrrry slow. Diep was 3 weeks and 3 days ago. Pain is mostly irritating, as if I had a tough workout at the gym and over did it. I will have my last drain removed tomorrow morning!!! Woooo!! I have driven only once; turning the steering wheel completely L or R was a bit much. Also we continue to get more snow everyday and I don't think I could handle the fast reflexes I would need to deal with slipping and sliding.

I ended up making a trip to our walk in clinic yesterday, I've been having increasing pressure in my right side of my stomach about 6 inches above my abdominal incision. Not that I was worried about infection, but I thought that it is possible I might have a seroma beginning. When you push on one side and makes the other side bounce up kind of like a hot water bottle or a water bed. When I got there I had to explain to three different people what I had done, as none of them were familiar with it. Once the position came in she instantly told me that she was just going to send me straight to the hospital, that there was nothing she could help me with. I was a tiny bit frustrated that they couldn't even do a simple ultrasound to let me know if there was fluid, or a blood test to check my white count, but I was very impressed that she came straight out and told me that she was not comfortable treating me because she was not familiar with my situation.

She set me across the street to the emergency room at the hospital. And at that point I was kind of wondering why I'm still going, because my surgeon is an hour and a half south of here in a large city and I really truly don't believe there is anybody in this county that is knowledgeable in any diep flap surgery. But my husband told me that if I felt strong enough to stop at one doctor that I should continue on to the second doctor, because I usually follow my gut for a reason. When I got me in a room round up blood pressure cuff on finger oxygen sensor on, and the second nurse came in within 10 minutes and told me that they were sending me for a ct scan and giving me an IV.??? Right away I was like whoa whoa whoa wait a minute. I did not present with a fever or any signs of infection, no red skin no drainage no pass. Just a feeling of fullness pressure and pain in my belly. So the doctor came in when I told them no IV, that I wanted to start with a blood test. Apparently he didn't like it that I changed his order of protocol because he tried to convince me that a blood test won't show fluid in my abdomen and an ultrasound will not tell me if I have an infection. I was like what the hell man, of course they want a blood test will tell me if I have an infection and if I don't then do an ultrasound which will show you how much fluid is in my abdomen. After about 10 minutes of going back and forth-with me advocating for myself and him trying to push the most expensive tests he can on me, finally he said I think I'm just going to call your surgeon. And I was so relieved! The only number I had for him, was his office number that just allowed me to leave a voicemail. Within 10 minutes he had gotten ahold of him, discussed what's going on, and came back in by me to tell me that my surgeon felt that I could go back home and wait until Tuesday-tomorrow for my appointment and he will take a look at me. He thought that maybe it was my nerves waking back up, or if I did have fluid buildup, that he would need to be the one to extract it since no one in the county that I live in is capable of doing so. Also it wouldn't hurt me if it was a seroma it would just sit there for two days!

What a frustrating feeling!!!!!

And a pricey Valentine's Day-with only a bracelet to show for it :)

Never a dull moment!!!

• ducky179
    edited February 2016
    Options

I thought driving this early was weird too. My discharge instructions said when I'd been off Percocet for a week and had no pain when braking. I actually drove a little in town for the first time yesterday (post op day 13). I kept my arms low and turned kind of slow, but it was doable and not painful. I wouldn't try any three point turns or parallel parking in traffic though. Also there were some issues with either opening or closing the door, depending on gravity or wind. But I had someone with me.

Some of my restrictions are very specific with lengths of time specified. Surgical bra 24/7, even while showering. But after day 14, I can shower without it. Some restrictions are specific but are vague in their timing. No lifting, pulling, pushing more than 5 pounds for 6-8 weeks. So what does that mean at 6 weeks? But the really annoying ones are when they tell me that my body will tell me when I'm ready. Such as standing up straight or bending over. Plus all of the things that they tell me to do that have no end in sight: don't lay flat, wear compression garment for my abdomen, wearing the giant bra. I guess I have to take it one post op visit at a time and see what they tell me I'm allowed to do. The hardest one for me is work. They said 4 weeks for recovery (I had BMX with immediate DIEP), but I don't understand why I couldn't go back part time for just some light duty admin work. I'll just have to ask I guess.

• J3nny4
    J3nny4 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2016
    Options